• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Arcade game 'Haunted Castle' & Ninja Warriors are up on US & EU PSN!

Aesnath

Gah. I think I may get it down the line when I'm bored and don't mind sparing $8. The screenshots make it look okay, and I feel like a lot of the old Castlevania games can be considered full of cheap encounters. Plus, I'm always down for some good Castlevania music.

I mean, it looks pretty neat and the music is solid, but, really, it is a frustratingly designed game. Traditional CVs are generally pretty challenging, but this just feels pretty unnecessary and cheap most of the time. The levels aren't particularly clever either.

Eh, I get the appeal. I played every English CV release and some JP ones, and I can say, without a doubt, it sucks. To be fair, I played it on an English arcade board, so maybe it is improved by being able to select other regions, but, damn, it has a long way to go.

BriGuy

I have them both.

Here's my impressions from the Castlevania Community thread: "It's great!"
What do you consider to be a bad game? "I pressed start and a hypodermic needle shot out of the controller and injected me with syphilis. It then hard bricked my console and sent a SWAT team to my house, who killed my dog. Game was ok. 7/10."

tsab

Haunted Castle is not that good, saw a Let's Play from AVGN the other day.
Now Ninja Warriors I haven't heard before, but might get it

JP

Dammit, I read this as Castlevania: Haunted Castle and thought it was something that I hadn't heard of. Saw the images and realised it was actually just the Arcade Archives version of Haunted Castle which has been out for around a week.

Was this ever an official Castlevania game? I ask that but I suppose thinking about it, to me, it sort of felt like a really early, really basic Castlevania that appeared before the proper games.

It's sort of OK in it's ow way but I do feel it's leagues behind the Castlevania series.

Foffy

Banned
Haunted Castle is fuckin' garbage.

You would do better literally taking the amount of money the game costs and just eating it.

Like, literally swallowing dollar bills has more value than that fucking mess of a game.

Aesnath

Dammit, I read this as Castlevania: Haunted Castle and thought it was something that I hadn't heard of. Saw the images and realised it was actually just the Arcade Archives version of Haunted Castle which has been out for around a week.

Was this ever an official Castlevania game? I ask that but I suppose thinking about it, to me, it sort of felt like a really early, really basic Castlevania that appeared before the proper games.

It's sort of OK in it's ow way but I do feel it's leagues behind the Castlevania series.

It has the same name as CV on the JP release. So, yeah, it is part of the series. I've heard it referred to as a precursor of sorts, but I feel like it was released in the same ballpark or slightly after the famicom CV in JP; not sure though. Definitely feels like they weren't sure how to modify the game structure for an arcade audience.

Ahasverus

behind the Castlevania series.
It's just another version of CV1. They sell them by the dozen.

It's a novelty for fans, nothing else.

Proc

As a kid, I remember playing Haunted Castle in an arcade in Niagra Falls. I couldn't remember if this was real for the life of me. I wouldn't mind checking this out again despite the negative opinions

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Haunted Castle is the 4th Castlevania game. Castlevania for NEs/FC, then Vampire Killer for MSX, then Simon's Quest, then HC.

I beat Haunted Castle "version k" legit when I played through all of the 2D Castlevanias a few years back. It's not great, but it wasn't THAT bad. I'd play it again before any of the original GameBoy ones. Plus it gave us Cross Your Heart, an underrated Castlevania music gem.

Top Bottom