• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Portrait Ruined for the DS

A Link to the Past said:
Honestly, as long as they end up using the top screen for a handful of boss battles (say a flying boss) to show both the top and bottom of the field, I'm okay with map/stats for it for the rest of the game.

Although, how will this CV take advantage of the DS' capabilities? I mean, sure, wi-fi, but no touch screen support and no dual screen support? The only thing left is to blow into the microphone to blow fire!
MAP ON TOP.

Seriously, people can call that a gimmick for the rest of time, I don't care. It is BY FAR one of the most useful things the DS has brought to 2D platformers, action games, RPGs, etc. I have such a terrible sense of direction that in map-heavy games I am pressing Start about once every seven seconds. Having it there on the top (or bottom) screen at all tims is an absolute godsend for me. This is especially true with nonlinear stuff like modern Castlevania games.

duckroll

ahmad said:
Hmmm, Iga mentioned that getting the double jump feature by applying this feature.

Usually you get the double jump after defeating a boss. I wonder if that is going to change this time around.

I remember in SOTN the double jump feature was found at the top of the caste w/o deafeating any enemies.

What he specifically said what that skills would be "quest based", an example being "get 8 zombie eyeballs", so by killing minor enemies there's still a reward. For something like double jump the "quest" might just be beating a specific boss.

Other notes:

- NP confirms the background with houses is polygonal, to give it "more depth", so it's not ALL 2D
- Iga also confirms that both characters will be onscreen at the same time backing each other up, and because of this he wants to unleash even more enemies on players at the same time. He speculated having to fight up to 20 zombies at once.

ahmad

Banned
duckroll said:
What he specifically said what that skills would be "quest based", an example being "get 8 zombie eyeballs", so by killing minor enemies there's still a reward. For something like double jump the "quest" might just be beating a specific boss.

Other notes:

- NP confirms the background with houses is polygonal, to give it "more depth", so it's not ALL 2D
- Iga also confirms that both characters will be onscreen at the same time backing each other up, and because of this he wants to unleash even more enemies on players at the same time. He speculated having to fight up to 20 zombies at once.

Hopefully there won't be any slowdowns like in SOTN (endless corridor??)

duckroll said:

Other notes:

This was in DoS actually, good to see it back.

Also, lots of enemies on screen at once sounds great.

belgurdo

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
DoS had 3D backgrounds, too.

And SOTN was almost entirely 3D (most of the sprites where actually polygons with drawings on them, which allowed them to be stretched, rotated, etc.)

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
duckroll said:

Good, but I prefer them not being zombies, because they are weak as fuck.

belgurdo said:
And SOTN was almost entirely 3D (most of the sprites where actually polygons with drawings on them, which allowed them to be stretched, rotated, etc.)
playstation didn't have any sprite scaling or rotating ability?

Chris Remo said:
MAP ON TOP.

Seriously, people can call that a gimmick for the rest of time, I don't care. It is BY FAR one of the most useful things the DS has brought to 2D platformers, action games, RPGs, etc. I have such a terrible sense of direction that in map-heavy games I am pressing Start about once every seven seconds. Having it there on the top (or bottom) screen at all tims is an absolute godsend for me. This is especially true with nonlinear stuff like modern Castlevania games.

Will you all shut the Hell up already? I asked because Iga SAID that it would take advantage of DS' capabilities. Seriously, settle down, stop getting so damned sensetive.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ahmad said:
New info from Nintendo Power:

-Mysterious vampire Brauner to reinstate the house of Dracula in the settings of WWII
-Jonathan morris, the son of John Morris Sr.
-Jonathan wields a whip, but can use also other weapons, such as a sword or a mace
-It's a Castleroid
-Characters level up
-More focus on the items, armors & accessories than in DoS
-"Skill collecting" system
-Since the Morris clan are related to the Belmonts, Jonathan will wield the VK in some point of the game
-Belmonts can wield the VK by default, but a Morris needs to do "something special" to be able to do that
-Charlotte's family is somehow related to the Fernandez clan.
-Jonathan & Charlotte will have a platonic relationship only
-Brauner's twin-daughters are called Loretta & Stella - share their fathers goal of resurrecting Dracula
-Brauner is more interested in summoning Castlevania & doesn't want her daughters involved, on some level
-Brauner is a painter (Portrait of Ruin). His paintings serve as teleports to different locations, such as the deserts of egypt & the London-esque "Misty Town"
-Soundtrack composed by Michiru Yamane
-The majority of the game happens inside a castle
-PoR will be bigger than DoS, perhaps even impressively bigger.:D

-Comeback of some of SotN's & Rondo's enemy designs.
-Bigger dev. team for PoR than in DoS: some developers from CotM have joined PoR's dev. team
-Appearances of Bloodlines related cast? "Please look forward to it."

-All the action in PoR takes place on the bottom screen of the DS, upper has Character & enemy info & map
-No stylus functions
-Wi-Fi: either co-op mode or a versus mode. Item shops for other players. :D
-PoR runs an upgraded engine of DoS
-Will have an animated intro

Oh fuck me oh fuck me oh fuck me oh fuck me oh fuck me.

DoS was, in many ways, my favorite CV ever. And PoR looks to be shaping up to be the highest budget, most redefining CV since SotN re-invented the franchise. Yamane! (I hope they don't totally drop Kimura. He's improved a lot in recent games, IMHO.)

Sagitario

ahmad said:
New info from Nintendo Power:

-Mysterious vampire Brauner to reinstate the house of Dracula in the settings of WWII
-Jonathan morris, the son of John Morris Sr.
-Jonathan wields a whip, but can use also other weapons, such as a sword or a mace-It's a Castleroid
-Characters level up
-More focus on the items, armors & accessories than in DoS-"Skill collecting" system
-Since the Morris clan are related to the Belmonts, Jonathan will wield the VK in some point of the game
-Belmonts can wield the VK by default, but a Morris needs to do "something special" to be able to do that
-Charlotte's family is somehow related to the Fernandez clan.
-Jonathan & Charlotte will have a platonic relationship only
-Brauner's twin-daughters are called Loretta & Stella - share their fathers goal of resurrecting Dracula
-Brauner is more interested in summoning Castlevania & doesn't want her daughters involved, on some level
-Brauner is a painter (Portrait of Ruin). His paintings serve as teleports to different locations, such as the deserts of egypt & the London-esque "Misty Town"
-Soundtrack composed by Michiru Yamane
-The majority of the game happens inside a castle
-PoR will be bigger than DoS, perhaps even impressively bigger.
-Comeback of some of SotN's & Rondo's enemy designs.
-Bigger dev. team for PoR than in DoS: some developers from CotM have joined PoR's dev. team
-Appearances of Bloodlines related cast? "Please look forward to it."
-All the action in PoR takes place on the bottom screen of the DS, upper has Character & enemy info & map
-No stylus functions
-Wi-Fi: either co-op mode or a versus mode. Item shops for other players.
-PoR runs an upgraded engine of DoS
-Will have an animated intro

It has been a long time since I've been so excited for a game...

Yamane <3 ...

This would only need Kojima art for everybody to be 100% happy...

926475e184.jpg

vs

ahmad

Banned
Farore said:
It has been a long time since I've been so excited for a game...

Yamane <3 ...

This would only need Kojima art for everybody to be 100% happy...

926475e184.jpg

vs

I have never seen the last two artworks.

Jiggy

Michiru Yamane and no stylus use are some of the best pieces of news so far. Dawn of Sorrow was so awesome in every way except for its horrible tacked-on touchscreen implementation.

Cheerilee

ahmad said:
-No stylus functions
Action needs to be on the upper screen, menus and maps need to be on the lower screen. The only reason Iga did it the other way around is because of the stupid seal drawing, which is gone now.

And if you put the menus and maps on the lower screen, then you can get into things like touchscreen item management, or even touchscreen map control, which would be zomg awesome, and not lame like the seal drawing.

Everything else is cool.

holy fuck!! ... Online coop actualy confirmed?

it says or...but is that "or" in the game? or is it an "not sure what it is yet" type of one?

ONLINE COOP PLEASE !!!...hell doesnt even need to be online, just gimme gimme ! ><

ruby_onix said:
Action needs to be on the upper screen, menus and maps need to be on the lower screen. The only reason Iga did it the other way around is because of the stupid seal drawing, which is gone now.

And if you put the menus and maps on the lower screen, then you can get into things like touchscreen item management, or even touchscreen map control, which would be zomg awesome, and not lame like the seal drawing.

Everything else is cool.
I agree. Great points.

SantaC

Jefklak said:
Holy shit? Is this for real?

yes

belgurdo said:
According to NP, instead of grinding for souls you just item farm now. n amounts of X get you ability Y and so on and so forth

this is the same system as Curse of Darkness. If had to steal or find an amount of items to create better ones. Worked like a charm. ( i loved that laser sword in CoD)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got my NP a few days ago, but didn't read it until last night.

Holy fucking shit. It's a sequel to Castlevania: Bloodlines on the Genny!

Yeah, the new skill system seems rather interesting, really. Hope it works out!

fse

Cool news about PoR. Can't wait to pre-oder in case. I wish they would make another castlevania like the nes ones :(

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I just wanted to say that I had never played a castlevania game before but I got DoS last week. I've barely put it down since.

ahmad

Banned
Roders5 said:
I just wanted to say that I had never played a castlevania game before but I got DoS last week. I've barely put it down since.

Then I welcome you to the CV addiction club. I have been a fan ever since my first encounter with a CV game, which was SOTN.

7Th

Chris Remo said:
MAP ON TOP.

Yeah, it's a sin Nintendo hasn't released a traditional Metroid game on the console yet.

Johnas

Roders5 said:

PLEASE play Symphony of the Night. It's the one that started "Metroidvania" (the last few CVs) and is still the best one, IMO. Some like DoS better, but I still prefer SotN.

Seriously, make every effort to play it. It's a gem.

MoxManiac

What? All 2D games on PSX uses polygons to render sprites; the system doesn't have dedicated 2D processing. It doesn't mean the game's 3D.

Ranger X

MoxManiac said:
What? All 2D games on PSX uses polygons to render sprites; the system doesn't have dedicated 2D processing. It doesn't mean the game's 3D.

Well that's tricky here. Well, if it uses polygons it's technically 3D even if it looks and play 2D so it's not that he's exactly wrong. Let's call SOTN a 2D game because it looks and play 2D.
What about the backdrops... Tiling? full backdrops? Isn't it something truly 2D there?

Jiggy

Roders5 said:
Play Symphony of the Night at least, and probably also Circle of the Moon. Castlevania III and Super Castlevania IV are excellent as well, but they're straight action games as opposed to action-RPGs, so it depends on what you like about DoS.

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
Play Symphony of the Night at least, and probably also Circle of the Moon. Castlevania III and Super Castlevania IV are excellent as well, but they're straight action games as opposed to action-RPGs, so it depends on what you like about DoS.

Maybe he liked that it had a playable female character.

Top Bottom