• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Portrait Ruined for the DS

ahmad

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I just saw :(

Still, this means there are at least 2 outside castle locations.

Apparently you get transported to them via paintings.

The name of the game is Portrait of Ruin.

And I don't think that it would be called that just for 2 locations ;)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I need a new pair of pants after seeing those screens and reading about this game. :D Glad to see a sequel to Bloodlines; I love the AoS/DoS story, but a third game with the same characters would have been a bit of an overkill.

SantaC

-Jonathan wields a whip, but can use also other weapons, such as a sword or a mace-It's a Castleroid

Metroidvania again, well It's ok for me. The 2D games are great.

-More focus on the items, armors & accessories than in DoS-"Skill collecting" system

That's cool I guess.

-Since the Morris clan are related to the Belmonts, Jonathan will wield the VK in some point of the game

awesome!

-Brauner is a painter (Portrait of Ruin). His paintings serve as teleports to different locations, such as the deserts of egypt & the London-esque "Misty Town"

atleast that's outside a castle

-Soundtrack composed by Michiru Yamane

BEST NEWS OF TODAY

-The majority of the game happens inside a castle

:( oh well.

-PoR will be bigger than DoS, perhaps even impressively bigger.

Thumbs up! :D

-Comeback of some of SotN's & Rondo's enemy designs.

Best of two worlds!

-Bigger dev. team for PoR than in DoS: some developers from CotM have joined PoR's dev. team

wow PoR will shape up awesome!

-All the action in PoR takes place on the bottom screen of the DS, upper has Character & enemy info & map

If it aint broken don't fix it. Worked great in DoS.

-No stylus functions

No loss for this game I guess.

-Wi-Fi: either co-op mode or a versus mode. Item shops for other players.

CO-OP YOU HEAR ME!!!

-PoR runs an upgraded engine of DoS

Figured

-Will have an animated intro

The DoS one was quite cool.

The positives faaaaaar outnumber the negatives. This game sounds like a beast!

ahmad said:
-Wi-Fi: either co-op mode or a versus mode.
Does this mean the development team is deciding which of those two to put in, or they'll both be there and players can choose which one to use? Also, does wi-fi in this case actually refer to online?

SantaC

Chris Remo said:
Does this mean the development team is deciding which of those two to put in, or they'll both be there and players can choose which one to use? Also, does wi-fi in this case actually refer to online?

online co-op PLZ

SantaCruZer said:
online co-op PLZ
Yeah, absolute guaranteed sale for me if it's in there. I would pay full price twice over for a game of this type with online co-op. Shit, even two copies at that price, one for a friend.

SantaC

Chris Remo said:
Yeah, absolute guaranteed sale for me if it's in there. I would pay full price twice over for a game of this type with online co-op. Shit, even two copies at that price, one for a friend.

haha aint that the truth. This game sounds awesome. This + DSlite = sex :D

Michiru Yamane composing the soundtrack, hoooray!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be there day 1. Please put complete extra modes like the last one had. Thanks!

duckroll

ahmad said:
-More focus on the items, armors & accessories than in DoS[/B]-"Skill collecting" system
-Since the Morris clan are related to the Belmonts, Jonathan will wield the VK in some point of the game
-Belmonts can wield the VK by default, but a Morris needs to do "something special" to be able to do that
-Jonathan & Charlotte will have a platonic relationship only
-Brauner is a painter (Portrait of Ruin). His paintings serve as teleports to different locations, such as the deserts of egypt & the London-esque "Misty Town"
-Soundtrack composed by Michiru Yamane
-PoR will be bigger than DoS, perhaps even impressively bigger.:D

-Comeback of some of SotN's & Rondo's enemy designs.
-Bigger dev. team for PoR than in DoS: some developers from CotM have joined PoR's dev. team
-Appearances of Bloodlines related cast? "Please look forward to it."

-No stylus functions
-Wi-Fi: either co-op mode or a versus mode. Item shops for other players. :D

We win!!

-Jonathan wields a whip, but can use also other weapons, such as a sword or a mace
-It's a Castleroid
-Characters level up
-All the action in PoR takes place on the bottom screen of the DS, upper has Character & enemy info & map

We lose. :(

SantaC

duckroll said:

We lose. :(

I don't see the problem with this. Worked excellent in DoS...I wouldn't use the other screen for something else.

duckroll

SantaCruZer said:
I don't see the problem with this. Worked excellent in DoS...I wouldn't use the other screen for something else.

Wouldn't you rather the upper screen be used for half naked illustrations of the vampire twins though? Who wants a map and character stats?! :D

SantaC

duckroll said:
Wouldn't you rather the upper screen be used for half naked illustrations of the vampire twins though? Who wants a map and character stats?! :D

:lol

but it was actually refreshing to not have to stop the game just to access the map. CoD reminded me how tiresome that is again.

Ranger X

SantaCruZer said:
Metroidvania again, well It's ok for me. The 2D games are great.

That's cool I guess.

awesome!

atleast that's outside a castle

BEST NEWS OF TODAY

:( oh well.

Thumbs up! :D

Best of two worlds!

wow PoR will shape up awesome!

If it aint broken don't fix it. Worked great in DoS.

No loss for this game I guess.

CO-OP YOU HEAR ME!!!

Figured

The DoS one was quite cool.

The positives faaaaaar outnumber the negatives. This game sounds like a beast!

Holy shit *sweat*
Each of those statements sold me 3 times more!

i NEED this game.

duckroll

R0nn said:
Why exactly?

926475e184.jpg

SantaC

duckroll said:
This is why we hate Iga, he's been killing traditional! :lol

It's refreshing that CotM crew is joining up though. That should make it feel more like Castlevania.

duckroll

SantaCruZer said:

It's refreshing that CotM crew is joining up though. That should make it feel more like Castlevania.

Agreed. I also think the focus on EQUIPMENT and not SKILLS is a great move. The greatest thing about DoS was how the different equipment were balanced and played differently. Iga's "skills" are usually just excuses to spam the screen. The portals leading to different locations around the world outside the castle sounds great too.

Now the question has to be asked.... they have a LARGER team, they have the same composer, but yet still not Kojima. What's she doing? Did Igarashi have a one-night-stand and ditch her? WE MUST KNOW! :D

SantaC

duckroll said:
Agreed. I also think the focus on EQUIPMENT and not SKILLS is a great move. The greatest thing about DoS was how the different equipment were balanced and played differently. Iga's "skills" are usually just excuses to spam the screen. The portals leading to different locations around the world outside the castle sounds great too.

Yeah I am all for more Equipment than Skills. Most of the souls were crappy anyway.

duckroll said:
Now the question has to be asked.... they have a LARGER team, they have the same composer, but yet still not Kojima. What's she doing? Did Igarashi have a one-night-stand and ditch her? WE MUST KNOW! :D

I don't get this either. From what I gathered from these new info, it sounds like it's the biggest castlevania commitment since SotN, it might even be bigger than SotN. so why isn't Kojima on board then?

duckroll said:

There was this old interview, a little before Dawn of Sorrow was released... IGA said that his art style was an attempt to make the game attractive for kids, to renew the image of 2D games so they don't disappear (he said something like " DS is the last platform where 2D games have a chance to succeed"). Looks like sales proved him right, so they're keeping that style for PoR.

Good thing they got rid of the stylus crap, that was pointless. Not terribly enthused by going again to the Metroidvania formula, but I'm sure it will be a quality game (with great music).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
This might be the Metroidvania that finally tops SotN. I also love that they ditched the stylus gimmicks. :)

Ranger X

Archie said:
This might be the Metroidvania that finally tops SotN. I also love that they ditched the stylus gimmicks. :)

Honestly, Dawn Of Sorrow already topped SOTN for me. Nostalgia aside though.

Johnas

Those screens look awesome, it really does look fresh and new. The color orange seems to be predominant for some reason. ;)

Wait the stylus stuff is gone? Wonderful.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Long live 2D gaming.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ranger X said:
Honestly, Dawn Of Sorrow already topped SOTN for me. Nostalgia aside though.
The seal system and smaller castle were the two major downfalls of DoS. I did think the soul system was superior though.

Ranger X

Archie said:
The seal system and smaller castle were the two major downfalls of DoS. I did think the soul system was superior though.

I've been charmed by the soul system and the better level design. Stylus crap was annoying and the soundtrack isn't exactly on par with SOTN. I'd say SOTN win if i had to make an objective review of the titles.
But for what really matter (fun, experience) DS was superior for me then making it a better game obviously.

Jado

Banned
I'm fucking sold on this game. That was quick.

No touchscreen is good if it was to be as hit or miss as DoS' seal system. I wouldn't have minded it much if it was responsive and simple as in some other DS games.

inthegray

Iga also mentioned in the article that this title would have a "slightly older, more-adult feel."

-Jonathan wields a whip, but can use also other weapons, such as a sword or a mace
-It's a Castleroid
-Characters level up
duckroll said:

not sure how you garnered that from a list of positive traits about the game. the only dissapointment i see in the game so far is that they may include versus multiplayer, instead of co-op.

also, i highly doubt that we will get online co-op. let's be realistic here...

I was hoping that this wouldn't be a Metroidvania, but it still sounds good regardless. The painting hopping thing reminds me of HoD, which is good.

jarrod

Banned
Castleroid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Retroid

We may not get the "real thing" for awhile, but this is a much better way to pass the time. :)

duckroll

inthegray said:
not sure how you garnered that from a list of positive traits about the game. the only dissapointment i see in the game so far is that they may include versus multiplayer, instead of co-op.

also, i highly doubt that we will get online co-op. let's be realistic here...

Igavanias will never be fun until they remove leveling up and get back to the playerskill-based gameplay of the CVs of old. You sidescrollingRPG loving guys can fuck off. :D

Teasel

duckroll said:
Igavanias will never be fun until they remove leveling up and get back to the playerskill-based gameplay of the CVs of old. You sidescrollingRPG loving guys can fuck off. :D

mmm... no!

Snaku

Banned
duckroll said:

Which is probably crappy art done up by KOA or NOA graphic designers like that horrible magazine ad art for Curse of Darkness. The art inside the article looks like the real stuff.

I don't get this either. From what I gathered from these new info, it sounds like it's the biggest castlevania commitment since SotN, it might even be bigger than SotN. so why isn't Kojima on board then?

IGA said he didn't want to overwork her by doing two Castlevania's last year. So one could assume that she's probably working on next gen CV.

ethelred

duckroll said:

Nope! This sidescrolling action RPG loving guy will keep on playing and enjoying the Igavanias! :)

Anyway, all the info released on this game so far sounds excellent. I liked the soul system, but after two games, it was definitely time for a change from the Soma storyline and souls, and I'm glad to see it sounds like they're going to do a lot of things differently. Also, I'm really liking what I'm hearing. The portrait aspect sounds awesome.

Team members from Kobe = awesome, too, as does Michiru Yamane. Can't wait!

Damn... between Mario, FFIII, Zelda, Castlevania, Children of Mana, and DQ Heroes, my DS is just going to completely own me this year. :/

Top Bottom