• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Portrait Ruined for the DS

Wasn't there a Castlevania game on the first list of games confirmed for Wifi multiplayer?

Holy shit if this was online co-op I would poop my pants.

Jim

More official, from Konami America:

Legendary Action Series Celebrates Two Decades of Vampire Hunting with Two Playable Characters and Expanded Battle System

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - April 21, 2006 - Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. today announced Castlevania®: Portrait of Ruin exclusively for the Nintendo DS™. The latest installment in the renowned action series lets players control two different characters as they attempt to thwart a terrible plan to resurrect Dracula's Castle and bring a reign of darkness upon the world.

In Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, players take on the role of vampire hunter Jonathan Morris and Charlotte Orlean, a young girl with tremendous magical abilities. Amidst the chaos of World War II, many lost souls from the global conflict were left to wander the world in search of salvation. Desperate to escape their terrible plight, they sought to resurrect Dracula's Castle from the rubble of society, assisted by two mysterious vampire sisters. Now Jonathan and Charlotte must work together to confront the face of evil and ensure that this villainous catastrophe is not unleashed on the world.

Evolving the action-adventure gameplay that has been the series' trademark for 20 years, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin lets players switch freely between Jonathan and Charlotte as they proceed on their heroic mission, each with their own strengths, abilities and style of play. Players can now utilize powerful Summon attacks in which both characters unleash the full extent of their combat abilities to decimate the game's more than 100 different enemies and massive bosses in new environments such as the desert and Misty Town. In their quest to stop Dracula's resurrection, Jonathan and Charlotte can collect and use different weapons, equipment and items to increase their overall skill level and acquire new abilities.

"For 20 years, the Castlevania series has set the standard for excellence and innovation in the action genre, and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin continues this trend with all-new features that expand the handheld gaming genre," said Dennis Lee, Group Manager at Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. "The game's two different characters give players unprecedented variety in completing their quest, while the expanded battle system makes it more fun to take on Dracula's minions."

Created by Koji Igarashi and the development team behind 2005's acclaimed Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin will be launching this Fall. For more information on the game and the Castlevania series, please visit www.konami.com/gs/officialsites/castlevania.

Matlock

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
if there is switching on the fly, why does it look like they're both on the screen fighting?

Maybe it's like a familiar style, wherein the secondary helps but the primary does the main fighting...unless this is wifi like it was thought to be...

also, sprite comparison

BlueLegs

From the press release it sounds like the game may be structured similar to those shaman games that they made on the gba.

SantaC

Matlock said:
Maybe it's like a familiar style, wherein the secondary helps but the primary does the main fighting...unless this is wifi like it was thought to be...

man I hope Konami finally adds that wifi online thing, why the hell not! Last the excuse was time constraint, now i'd say they should take all the time they can.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nobiru said:
:O COOP CONFIRMED !!!

:p ...online coop would be awesome though :p
So far ever game on this list:
# Activision- Tony Hawk (working title)
# Atari- TBA
# Bandai- Mobile Suit Gundam (working title), Digimon World (working title)
# Banpresto- TBA
# Buena Vista- TBA
# Capcom- TBA
# Electronic Arts- TBA
# FromSoftware- Tenchu DS (working title)
# Hudson- Bomberman (working title)
# Momotaro- Dentetsu World (working title)
# Koei- Dynasty Warriors DS (working title)
# Konami– World Soccer Winning Eleven Series, Jikkyo Powerful Proyakyu (working title), Castlevania Series (working title)
# Majesco- TBA
# Marvelous Interactive Inc.- Bokujou Monogatari (working title), Rune Factory (working title), Contact (working title), RealTimeStrategy (working title)
# Mastiff- TBA
# Namco- New RPG (working title)
# Nintendo- Animal Crossing DS, Mario Kart DS, and many more TBA.
# Sega– TBA
# Spike- Professional Wrestling (working title)
# Square Enix- Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (working title)
# Taito- TBA
# Take 2 (2K Games)- TBA
# Telegames- TBA
# THQ- TBA
# Ubisoft- TBA
# Vivendi- TBA
Has been online so hopefully this game is online too, which would explain why they added co-op to the game.

Matix

jj984jj said:
So far ever game on this list:
Has been online so hopefully this game is online too, which would explain why they added co-op to the game.

Yea, Online CO-OP for the fucking win (FTFW) :D :D !!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Coop would be really cool. Online coop would be fucking awesome! But I doubt it will happen. :/
And wouldn't it be too complicated to make the game coop anyway? I mean, would you be able to explore two different parts of the map at the same time or would you be forced to hang around the same area? A designated mode just for coop though, would probably work great.

SantaC

Kiriku said:
Coop would be really cool. Online coop would be fucking awesome! But I doubt it will happen. :/
And wouldn't it be too complicated to make the game coop anyway? I mean, would you be able to explore two different parts of the map at the same time or would you be forced to hang around the same area? A designated mode just for coop though, would probably work great.

Konami promised online elements in Dawn of Sorrow, but cut it out due to time contraints.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
SantaCruZer said:
Konami promised online elements in Dawn of Sorrow, but cut it out due to time contraints.

Yeah...but weren't those elements more along the line with trading custom maps online rather than playing in coop?

Busaiku

Gc-Freak said:
CPoR01.jpg

CPoR02.jpg
I said "wow" (kind of).

Magicpaint said:
Hopefully, the best tracks aren't remixes like in Dawn. I demand full support from Yamane!

I looked up her name, and holy shit:

wikipedia said:
Michiru Yamane (who composed Castlevania: Symphony of the Night), composed the music for Detana! Twinbee, Pop'n Twinbee and Twinbee Yahho!.

Best.Composer.Ever!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
her work in Castlevania LoI was awesome. that game's soundtrack is very good, probably the only good thing about tha game.

PolyGone

Banned
I can only imagine what those sprite artists could be capable of if they made one of these for a next gen console... man... looks castlelicious

belgurdo

Banned
Nice that they're finally moving it out of a castle...but it looks like the last game. I'll just rent it if it ends up being more of the same

belgurdo said:
Nice that they're finally moving it out of a castle...but it looks like the last game. I'll just rent it if it ends up being more of the same

Dude, it's got co-op (looks like it may have computer co-op too).

And if we are to believe Iga, there will be more DS feature usage. I think using the microphone to blow fire would be kind of neat. c_c

Also, they need to use the top and bottom screens for boss battles!

Jiggy

The female character is actually cute this time, and not relegated to a secondary mode; considering this and Rockman ZX, I could just about cry with happiness. ;_; The game is now almost auto-destined to make it into my top 10 of 2006.

Snaku

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
better happen online, you fucking hear that IGA?

YQQnaFHtl0bFZQZG3aZXM8wVyObgI4jZ.jpg

"I heard you but I am too fucking cheap to let that happen"

He can't commit those kind of resources to the childish 2D Castlevanias. He knows they're better spent on the next gen 3D Castlevania. `_` Maybe next gen 3D Castlevania will look like a good looking mid-gen PS2 game. I wouldn't hold my breath though. :(

IGA please, for the love of God, hire some designers that at least have a basic understanding of 3D game design! Castles may have been empty and shit back then, but it doesn't cut it in a video game that takes place in a fantasy setting.

belgurdo

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
through, though the poor design still felt like you were inside the castle :lol

Cordova Town was especially loltastic in that regard. Why were all of the houses bolted to one another and all of the same height?

Snaku

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
through, though the poor design still felt like you were inside the castle :lol

Honestly, the castle doesn't make me feel like I'm in a castle. Horrid game design, simply horrid.

jarrod

Banned
Snaku said:
IGA please, for the love of God, hire some designers that at least have a basic understanding of 3D game design!
3D level design is the real problem. If Team Iga could just combine the combat mechanics of the PS2 games with the level designs/progression of the N64 games, we'd probably have a halfway decent attempt at a 3D Castlevania.

SantaC

belgurdo said:
Cordova Town was especially loltastic in that regard. Why were all of the houses bolted to one another and all of the same height?

simple.

First make a square room > copy c > find new level > copy v :lol

Cheerilee

bummyhead said:
finally another castlevania that doesnt keep you locked up inside a castle.
The first screenshots of DoS had everyone thinking they were going to be able to explore a town, and a forest in the snow...

Ranger X said:
Does someone actually knows who's responsible for the soundtrack?

*prays for Yamane*
I want a Castlevania that doesn't use the overused Metroidvania style (or maybe just puts less emphasis on the castle), but replaces it with something great. I want one that doesn't use the overused Ayami Kojima art, but replaces it with someone else who's great. I want one that doesn't use Michiru Yamane's music, but goes with someone equally talented.

But, I'll settle for a Metroidvania, with Kojima art, and/or Yamane music.

Heck, I'd probably settle for a crappy new game style, crappy art, and/or crappy music. I'm not sure about the exact combinations. I already know that 3D is a dealbreaker, no matter how much Kojima and Yamane you cram into it.

ahmad

Banned
New info from Nintendo Power:

-Mysterious vampire Brauner to reinstate the house of Dracula in the settings of WWII
-Jonathan morris, the son of John Morris Sr.
-Jonathan wields a whip, but can use also other weapons, such as a sword or a mace
-It's a Castleroid
-Characters level up
-More focus on the items, armors & accessories than in DoS
-"Skill collecting" system
-Since the Morris clan are related to the Belmonts, Jonathan will wield the VK in some point of the game
-Belmonts can wield the VK by default, but a Morris needs to do "something special" to be able to do that
-Charlotte's family is somehow related to the Fernandez clan.
-Jonathan & Charlotte will have a platonic relationship only
-Brauner's twin-daughters are called Loretta & Stella - share their fathers goal of resurrecting Dracula
-Brauner is more interested in summoning Castlevania & doesn't want her daughters involved, on some level
-Brauner is a painter (Portrait of Ruin). His paintings serve as teleports to different locations, such as the deserts of egypt & the London-esque "Misty Town"
-Soundtrack composed by Michiru Yamane
-The majority of the game happens inside a castle
-PoR will be bigger than DoS, perhaps even impressively bigger.:D

-Comeback of some of SotN's & Rondo's enemy designs.
-Bigger dev. team for PoR than in DoS: some developers from CotM have joined PoR's dev. team
-Appearances of Bloodlines related cast? "Please look forward to it."

-All the action in PoR takes place on the bottom screen of the DS, upper has Character & enemy info & map
-No stylus functions
-Wi-Fi: either co-op mode or a versus mode. Item shops for other players. :D
-PoR runs an upgraded engine of DoS
-Will have an animated intro

Emotions

Wow very nice bring on the Castlevanias :D

Konami needs to re-release COTM is the only Castlevana on GBA i miss , i got the Castlevania double pack, COTM is hard to find nowadays :(

Top Bottom