• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Portrait Ruined for the DS

bluemax

Banned
PolyGone said:
Princess Crown. Valkyrie Profile. Suikoden 1+2. etc

Pretty much every RPG on the PSP is a port when you stop and think about it. The only completely original ones that spring to mind are Blade Dancer and Kingdom of Paradise.

Yes, the DS doens't have alot of ports, but the GBA did. I didn't see the nintendo crowd complain about that. They actually defended the ports. Ports happen, and alot of the PSP ports are remakes. I don't mind remakes. I will say, I do wish Konami had put the remake on PS2 since i have no interst in currently buying any of the handhelds. Though New super Mario Bro and the castlvania on DS, and the ultimate AGhouls and Ghost and remake of of the mega mans are tempting.

wait this new is fake ..awww:(

jarrod

Banned
Mmmkay said:
Because it's a handheld maybe? They have generations too you know. Maybe next time say 'N64/SS/PS gen' instead of 'Last gen'.
The last gen handhelds were GBC/NGPC/WSC.

madara

Great news about Castlevania, stankastic news about SH1 remake being PSP. Surival horror on handheld and here I was hope they might actually improve controls of the game not make it worse. I except sales to reflect this bad move. Should have been at least ps2 or quick yet solid ps3 launch title.

Mmmkay said:
Because it's a handheld maybe? They have generations too you know. Maybe next time say 'N64/SS/PS gen' instead of 'Last gen'.

Why would he have to get that specific, when the entire conversation up to that point was about the volume of N64/SS/PSX ports on DS/PSP? Should we start endlessly repeating every little fact of a conversation in every post so that nitpickers who don't read the rest of the topic can keep up?

sonic4ever said:
Yes, the DS doens't have alot of ports, but the GBA did. I didn't see the nintendo crowd complain about that.

The guy who started complaining about ports was a PSP owner, not a Nintendo fanboy.

Personally, I know a lot of people who were pissed at the GBA's port whoredom. I'm one of them. Who the hell wouldn't have taken 1 new Mario over 4 rehashes?

Mmmkay

AdmiralViscen said:
Why would he have to get that specific, when the entire conversation up to that point was about the volume of N64/SS/PSX ports on DS/PSP? Should we start endlessly repeating every little fact of a conversation in every post so that nitpickers who don't read the rest of the topic can keep up?

Jarrod doesn't seem to believe that the DS has now superseded the GBA. Somebody asked him to include GBA ports on his list, but he insisted that the GBA is still current gen (i.e. third pillar stuff). It was my point that the GBA should be classed as previous gen and its ports to the DS should be counted.

Aurora

Who cares if this is real or not, the important thing is that another Castlevania is on its way to DS. E3 baby!

mollipen

Soul4ger said:
I wonder if the people who are cheering for SH PSP criticized the DS as a poor platform for RE... Talk about taking the atmosphere out of the game? And it's going to control like shit on the PSP, too. I'm all for remakes and ports, but this just doesn't fit the hardware, if it's true.

I'd be one of those people. I don't want RE on the DS because that kind of RE doesn't cut it anymore after RE4. Plus, as much as I love the DS, it just doesn't have the power to do a proper remake. PSP does have enough for making a nice remake of a PSX title. It has nothing to do with "games can't be scary on a handheld" - anybody who says that doesn't know what they're taking about.

And why is SH PSP going to "control like shit?" SH has never used nor needed two analog sticks. Post-SH1 control has been great, and there's no reason that control can't be duplicated on the PSP.

PSP wouldn't have been my first choice for a SH1 remake, but at this point, I'll take anything I can get.

Mmmkay said:
Jarrod doesn't seem to believe that the DS has now superseded the GBA. Somebody asked him to include GBA ports on his list, but he insisted that the GBA is still current gen (i.e. third pillar stuff). It was my point that the GBA should be classed as previous gen and its ports to the DS should be counted.
The GBA is still technically Nintendo's third pillar; I don't believe they've said otherwise. It's a rapidly crumbling 3rd pillar, and only Mother 3 can save it.

Mmmkay

Mr. Pointy said:
The GBA is still technically Nintendo's third pillar; I don't believe they've said otherwise. It's a rapidly crumbling 3rd pillar, and only Mother 3 can save it.

You don't think that maybe their third pillar talk was just a get-out clause in case their 'highly innovative but untested in the gaming market' product did not succeed? Since the GBC in 1998, new 'generations' in the Game Boy line have been ~3 years apart. The GBA launched in 2001, the DS launched in 2004. I'd say the DS is clearly here until at least 2007 (but likely much longer than previous models have stayed, given its current success). So no, I don't think the DS is a new pillar, I think it has replaced the Game Boy line and 'GB-Next' will be dual screened.

ethelred

Mr. Pointy said:

I don't know. Since the introduction of the DS, we've seen a ton of high caliber games still getting released on the GBA -- Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Zelda: The Minish Cap, FFIV Advance, etc. And now, two years into the DS's life, we're seeing Mother 3, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Yggdra Union... doesn't seem that dead to me.

Jiggy

ethelred said:
I don't know. Since the introduction of the DS, we've seen a ton of high caliber games still getting released on the GBA -- Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Zelda: The Minish Cap, FFIV Advance, etc. And now, two years into the DS's life, we're seeing Mother 3, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Yggdra Union... doesn't seem that dead to me.
I agree.
And you didn't even mention the release of Pokemon Emerald, which probably outsold FE:TSS, Zelda, FFIV, Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon, and Tales of Phantasia combined.
And Drill Dozer, which people should have bought but didn't.

Koopakiller said:
I never understood why they got rid of the gothic style.

the woman who does the art for the console castlevanias simply doesn't have time for taking on multiple titles at once. ... according to an interveiw with Iga

arab

Blech, I didn't think they could beat the horrible DoS art...

EDIT: Well the artstyle from the page in the magazine is much better than the PoS that is the PoR art on the cover.

I eventually got used to the DoS art and I'm sure this will eventually be likeable as well. A magazine cover is not a game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Sabaku Ika said:
I eventually got used to the DoS art and I'm sure this will eventually be likeable as well. A magazine cover is not a game.
you are on gaf

art>games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ancestor said:
Mej got a tag!

Oh shit! I got a tag.

So unfair. ANYONE would be distracted by the UNBELIEVABLY awesome Pirates of the Caribbean DVD playing nearby. :(

SantaC

everyone thought last castlevania had bad art, but it doesn't affect gameplay. So it wont matter for me.

Mejilan said:
Uh... it's pretty much inevitable, if you really think about it.

Well I am thinking about it, and I guess they would have to drastically change the control scheme because tony hawk works best with a dpad and four face buttons.

Maybe it will be cool, hopefully the new mag has pictures.

edit: oh, vicarious visions should be in charge. Sk8land is one of my favorite ds games.

Mrbob

Looks like I'll have to order this one online too, just like DoS, due to the 4KIDS artstyle for the game.

Probationsmack said:
So tony hawk is revolution bound?

Surprise, surprise, indeed. ;)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Mrbob said:
Looks like I'll have to order this one online too, just like DoS, due to the 4KIDS artstyle for the game.
:rollseyes:

you don't play art you play the game... jesuschrist.

Khalid-S

Here are the arts ( for the lazy peoples )

926475e184.jpg

b401bbaa37.jpg

Mrbob said:
Surprise, surprise, indeed. ;)

I am genuinely surprised, unless they are planning on using the shell Im guessing this wont be a port, but an orginal entry in the series made from the ground up for the system.

Thats a good thing and hopefully it will be at launch.

Anyone want to make a topic?

SantaC

I am not saying the art is great, but do you really think the art from circle of the moon is much better?

nathan1.jpg

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
That looks like really bad fan art...

I suppose at this point in time it would be hopeless to wish for a return to action, platforming and skill...

Still would be nice seeing it is gonna be the 20th anniversary and all.

Top Bottom