• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Portrait Ruined for the DS

duckroll

What the FUCK did I just look at. >_<

That's not Castlevania......... that's an ABORTION. Nice to see how they picked the perfect title to go with the art too. :p

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:

That's not Castlevania......... that's an ABORTION. Nice to see how they picked the perfect title to go with the art too. :p

haha, that is pretty true. ANYWAY GET AWAY HEATHEN YOU HATE METROIDVANIA

SantaC

duckroll said:

PORTRAIT OF A RUINED CHARACTER; NOW ENJOY GAMEPLAY. WHIP WHIP!

Mrbob

duckroll said:

YOU PLAY GAMES NOT ART WHY WOULD YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS?!?!??

Seriously, this artstyle is almost making me contemplate not buying the game at all. It is embarrassing to anyone over the age of 12.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mrbob said:
YOU PLAY GAMES NOT ART WHY WOULD YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS?!?!??

Seriously, this artstyle is almost making me contemplate not buying the game at all. It is embarrassing to anyone over the age of 12.
And given that DoS had the exactly same style I'm not sure why anybody is that surprised. Why would they change the staff after it sold so well compared to Iga's other GBA Metroidvania games?

So people are considering not buying this game based on bad concept art? As in, concept art that is only every so slightly indicative of what the ingame sprites (I assume) will look like?

I question why some of you even play games.

edit: And I wouldnt be surprised if the change in art style to the kiddy anime shlock on the cover or DoS contributed to its GREAT sales, probably bieng the highest selling post launch third party game for the ds in america yet.

Matlock

Banned
Haha, looks like they're sticking with the G-Forceesque art for PoR...

Enough about that, what about The Tony Hawk Revolution?! :-X

Christ you all are complainers! :lol

I don't care, as long as the game looks as good as Dawn of Sorrow in-game, I will be jazzed. And the whip woot the whip!

duckroll said:
I just had a HORRIBLE feeling. What if..... the game is...... 3D.....

Don't even say that

cvl3.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
IGA refuses to acknowledge the N64 game, so you can be sure that Portrait of Ruin will have nothing to do with them. Nevermind the characters are obviously not from the N64 games.

belgurdo

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I hope that this is more than just another Metroidvania.

It won't be. Iga's been pumping them out so long that new fans think that's all there is to CV, and every time he tries to do something else he fails

duckroll said:

:lol

but srsly though ... i actually wouldn't mind iga doing something different with this one. i think a 3D castlevania can be done right with adventure/RPG elements rather than, uh, whatever they were doing with the PS2 games (im guessing they were trying to best Devil May Cry at its own style)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Look, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows was so good, this is exciting regardless of what you all say!

Launch in time for the holidays, sales +1

Amir0x

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
:lol

but srsly though ... i actually wouldn't mind iga doing something different with this one. i think a 3D castlevania can be done right with adventure/RPG elements rather than, uh, whatever they were doing with the PS2 games (im guessing they were trying to best Devil May Cry at its own style)

fuck, stop, you'll jinx it. Nobody wants N64-era 3D for Castlevania handheld PLEASE.

Metroidvania 2D plz. Fuck, original Castlevania formula is fine too. Just no 3D, in any way, shape or form.

Amir0x said:
fuck, stop, you'll jinx it. Nobody wants N64-era 3D for Castlevania handheld PLEASE.

Metroidvania 2D plz. Fuck, original Castlevania formula is fine too. Just no 3D, in any way, shape or form.

Yep.

By the way you made me start playing Earthbound again since like 6 years ago, THANK YOU BEST THNIG IVE DONE IN A LONG TIME.

Amir0x

Banned
BrandNew said:
Yep.

By the way you made me start playing Earthbound again since like 6 years ago, THANK YOU BEST THNIG IVE DONE IN A LONG TIME.

Oh, <3 <3

Earthbound is the great justice bringer of the gaming world. Ultimate equalizer.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You people really make me scratch my head. There's all this negative feeling towards art like this (which ain't "that" horrible), yet the same people jizz over WW's deformed powerpuff imitation. I'll never understand GAF. :/

In any case, the art might not be the best, but if the graphics in-game are like how they were in DoS, I don't give a damn.

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
You people really make me scratch my head. There's all this negative feeling towards art like this (which ain't "that" horrible), yet the same people jizz over WW's deformed powerpuff imitation. I'll never understand GAF. :/

In any case, the art might not be the best, but if the graphics in-game are like how they were in DoS, I don't give a damn.

Because the art for Castlevania:poR is grotesque, and the art for Wind Waker is fucking phenomenal and should be heralded throughout the land?

But the nuances are pointless here, how you somehow connect the two as if they're similar art styles is pretty silly!

Mejilan

pitt_norton said:
I enjoyed N64's Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. No one will take that away from me.

It was a solid adventure game, if not exactly a quintessential Castlevania.

Shit-ton better games than those PS2 atrocities, at any rate.

Oblivion

Amir0x said:
Because the art for Castlevania:poR is grotesque, and the art for Wind Waker is fucking phenomenal and should be heralded throughout the land?

...what? Can you please explain WHY WW is so much better looking than this new Castlevania?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm tellin ya, the Yu-Gi-Oh inspired art will help sales more than the style GAF loves. It's sad but true.

PolyGone

Banned
why the FUCK would you use art like that when you have Ayami Kojima doing the art for the shitty 3d ones?! Shouldn't it be the other way around? man that pisses me off.

Shalomi

Archie said:
I'm tellin ya, the Yu-Gi-Oh inspired art will help sales more than the style GAF loves. It's sad but true.

Well, I know the Box art for DoS is what kept me from impulse-buying it a few months back, although I'm a bit ashamed to admit it.

pitt_norton said:
I enjoyed N64's Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. No one will take that away from me.

i remember the N64 castlevania actually being an engaging yet flawed experience, though nowhere near as fun as its 2D predecessors. i haven't played its direct sequel but i'm guessing it nipped some of those problems in the bud.

and then the ps2 castlevanias, we all know that grievance. from the cookie-cutter rooms to combat ... i was suprised it fell even more flat than the N64 incarnations.

i only defend the notion of another 3d 'vania because i think the 2D incarnations have maxed the gameplay out. but if they have more cool ideas to implement, then i say bring it on

Mejilan

The 2nd N64 CV wasn't a sequel so much as it was an expanded remake. Arguably, it's what CV 64 should have been to begin with.

Son of a damn bitch, where's Kojima!!!!!!! What could she possibly be working on now that won't allow her to work on THIS game? Another shitty 3D Consolevania? Bullshit.

Kojima's art was fucking incredible for the GBA games. DS has actually gained a more mature audience than the GBA did and yet it's getting shafted with this horrible generic anime crap? What the fuck is wrong with you Konami/IGA!? -_-

... That being said, this is still one of my most anticipated games in general. I just hope the L/R dashing from Harmony of Dissonance (the only Whipvania I've played, I admit) is back. The L/R dashing was really the only thing that did the game justice for me (although I loved it to death).

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
...what? Can you please explain WHY WW is so much better looking than this new Castlevania?

new Castlevania artstyle is generic anime tripe of the Yu-Gi-Oh format devoid of any stylistic charm - pre-packaged crap for the Saturday morning Pokemon set. Wind Waker is a unique, vibrant artstyle filled with gorgeous expressions and some genuinely brilliant emoting. It's practically exploding with personality, and in motion it's married to Disney quality animation. It captures the spirit of the game in every way imaginable, which is exactly the opposite of what this art does for a Castlevania game.

It's a fortunate thing that the 2D sprite work hardly resembles the art style by the end, or else this complaint might be more important!

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i remember the N64 castlevania actually being an engaging yet flawed experience, though nowhere near as fun as its 2D predecessors. i haven't played its direct sequel but i'm guessing it nipped some of those problems in the bud.

Yeah, I think the N64 games weren't terrible, just mediocre (for the time), and I would love to see a well-conceived 3D Castlevania, just as long as it takes place as far the hell away from the DS as possible.

Oblivion

Amir0x said:
new Castlevania artstyle is generic anime tripe of the Yu-Gi-Oh format devoid of any stylistic charm - pre-packaged crap for the Saturday morning Pokemon set. Wind Waker is a unique, vibrant artstyle filled with gorgeous expressions and some genuinely brilliant emoting. It's practically exploding with personality, and in motion it's married to Disney quality animation. It captures the spirit of the game in every way imaginable, which is exactly the opposite of what this art does for a Castlevania game.

Just because one is generic and the other one's not, doesn't make the non-generic one automatically omg awesomo!! And animation quality is not an issue here. We're just discussing artwork.

Top Bottom