• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Portrait Ruined for the DS

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
Just because one is generic and the other one's not, doesn't make the non-generic one automatically omg awesomo!! And animation quality is not an issue here. We're just discussing artwork.

Fortunately for Wind Waker, it happens to not be generic AND fucking increbile looking.

GhostSeed

It's hard to read but this is basically what the text says on the scan.
( ______ = couldn't read the word)

Nintendo Power said:
Castlevania. It's one of the most beloved names in all of gaming. It's a name that carries with it more memorable experiences than almost any other. A name that consistently lives up to not only its ______ heretige, but the ever lofty expectations of its devoted followers. Since 1986 we've hunted vampires on more than 10 platforms and across nearly a millenium of history. To celebrate the gothic high adventure's 20th anniversary, producer Koji "Iga" Igarashi and his team are ______ an back to Dracula's castle this fall, wip in hand for an intriguing new chapter in the Castlevania legacy.

I can't believe it been 20 years since the first Castlevania.

edit: fixed spelling

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Probationsmack said:
No, a Srpg card game!
180078b7nb.jpg
?

Tony HoTT

Banned
duckroll said:
I just had a HORRIBLE feeling. What if..... the game is...... 3D.....
It's gonna use the DoS engine.

The art style didn't ruin DoS, just the character portrait. I thought you didn't like these games anyways.

Deku

Banned
I think the DS is technically capable of pulling off a 3-D castlevania that would also look good.

The problem is the controls and the attempts at 3-D have failed on this level in some fashion. Perhaps Konami should speak to Nintendo about borrowing one of their 3-D Zelda engines and build a Castlevania game around it.

It would focus more on the RPG/roaming elements to be sure, but it would be a great 3-D Castlevania game nonetheless.

ahmad

Banned
So does anyone have the new Nintendo Power magazine?? If so, can you tell us what the game is about and did the graphics recieve a facelift??

mutsu

The problem with Castlevania in terms of 2D or 3D is not graphics, and it's not control. I don't think it is those things that matters. The thing that matters is if the game is really suited to 3D?

Just like Metroid's conversion to 3D in Metroid Prime, some people just find it unacceptable. All credits for them to actually make the jump into 3D a fun game. So the problem now is if Konami are able to make the same transition.

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
I think the DS is technically capable of pulling off a 3-D castlevania that would also look good.

No, it's techically impossible. And pile on top of that the fact that they can't even make a PS2 3D Castlevania look good, let alone squeezing it onto atrocious N64-era hardware.

Keep it 2D, stupidos!

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:
No, it's techically impossible. And pile on top of that the fact that they can't even make a PS2 3D Castlevania look good, let alone squeezing it onto atrocious N64-era hardware.

Keep it 2D, stupidos!

I suppose if you're going for photorealism, even the PS2's hardware can be limiting.
A stylized 3-D game would work and from what I've seen of 3-D on the DS, its certainly doable.

The problem though is the controls and by extension, the 3-D castlevania engines simply aren't up to par.

This probably has something to do with the fact that Konami simply doesn't devote the kind of resources a 3-D castlevania/Dracula games would need for it work, since the company's bread and butter has shifted to other franchises.

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
I suppose if you're going for photorealism, even the PS2's hardware can be limiting.

A stylized 3-D game would work and from what I've seen of 3-D on the DS, its certainly doable.

no it'd just be disgustingly pixelated ancient 3D crap and nobody needs that. Not even you. Even Phantom Hourglass has this problem. Please, 2D only.

in a recent intereview i read iga kept going on about how many great possibilities there are for 2D games on the DS ... so regardless its not looking like there'll be a portable 3D CV in awhile

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:
no it'd just be disgustingly pixelated ancient 3D crap and nobody needs that. Not even you. Even Phantom Hourglass has this problem. Please, 2D only.

Whether its 2D or not 2D isn't really what I'm talking about though. I think it will be 2D only as the 2D games have sold very well for Konami outside Japan.

That said, I was commenting on the fact that the DS can't do a 3-D Castlevania, and from what I've seen, it can do it, given proper resources is given to the project. This may sound really obvious, but it obviously isn't obvious to you.

As for pixellated messes, I can live with that. What I can't live with are load times which are the truly ancient part of gaming.

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
Whether its 2D or not 2D isn't really what I'm talking about though. I think it will be 2D only as the 2D games have sold very well for Konami outside Japan.

That said, I was commenting on the fact that the DS can't do a 3-D Castlevania, and from what I've seen, it can do it, given proper resources is given to the project. This may sound really obvious, but it obviously isn't obvious to you.

As for pixellated messes, I can live with that. What I can't live with are load times which are the truly ancient part of gaming.

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with load times, but since I see bad graphics throughout an entire game (significantly destroying an experience) and I only experience bad loading in the quality titles at select intervals I know which I prefer!

But I don't even know why loading was brought up, this is about Castlevania being 3D on DS. Fuck that shit, worst idea of all time. It's begging to become a worse joke than even PS2 3D Castlevania. 2D only.

mutsu said:
The problem with Castlevania in terms of 2D or 3D is not graphics, and it's not control. I don't think it is those things that matters. The thing that matters is if the game is really suited to 3D?

Just like Metroid's conversion to 3D in Metroid Prime, some people just find it unacceptable. All credits for them to actually make the jump into 3D a fun game. So the problem now is if Konami are able to make the same transition.

not to go off courxe but I think Metroid Prime feels like the classic Metroid but in 3d, and Iam currently playing Metroid prime. It is a GREAT game. Who are the ones that think the game doesn't feel like metroid??

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The thought of any more 3D Castlevanias makes me feel a bit ill.
The thought of one on DS makes me violently sick.

2D hybrid old-school/Metroidvania for the win. Dracula X style level-progression, and multiple routes, with mini Metroidvania-style castles.

Amir0x

Banned
not to mention, DS is practically the last battle ground for the free peoples of Earth when it comes to 2D Castlevania. If we don't make a stand here, we might lose it forever!

PolyGone

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
the DS is probably the last battleground for 2D period

sucks

doubtful. virtual console on the rev will bring 2d games back into the household. some companies will seize upon their popularity by introducing new 2d games through the service at a fraction of the cost, profits go up.

PolyGone said:
doubtful. virtual console on the rev will bring 2d games back into the household. some companies will seize upon their popularity by introducing new 2d games through the service at a fraction of the cost, profits go up.

if the indie devs are able and willing, then yeah

Cheerilee

The art looks fine to me. I'm more interested in the fact that it looks like we've finally got another female Castlevania heroine. I thought Iga was totally opposed to that idea.

BTW, Portrait of Ruin = Path of Radiance = Castlevania is clearly an SRPG.

PolyGone

Banned
ruby_onix said:
The art looks fine to me. I'm more interested in the fact that it looks like we've finally got another female Castlevania heroine. I thought Iga was totally opposed to that idea.

BTW, Portrait of Ruin = Path of Radiance = Castlevania is clearly an SRPG.

I don't think the main character is a girl. He is certainly a feminine Belmont but if you look at his chest he has pecs, not breasts. Also, I'm pretty sure the girl behind him is his girlfriend who gets kidnapped by Dracula. The clothes suggest the game will take place in the past instead of the future. I could be wrong but I am somewhat of an expert on the subject.

Maridia

PolyGone said:
I don't think the main character is a girl. He is certainly a feminine Belmont but if you look at his chest he has pecs, not breasts. Also, I'm pretty sure the girl behind him is his girlfriend who gets kidnapped by Dracula. The clothes suggest the game will take place in the past instead of the future. I could be wrong but I am somewhat of an expert on the subject.

Uh...the guy on the cover is obviously a dude, and the chick behind him is holding a giant book, presumably to cast spells with in the fine Castlevania tradition. My money is on two or more playable characters. Or a card game.

Definitely another 2D Castlevania seeing as how popular they have been with the fans and gamers. I hope they do a little more with the backgrounds this time. Some of Dawn of Sorrow had wicked, 3D backgrounds but most of it was stale and flat.

I'm excited. This will definitely be a day one purchase. I love Castlevania and I love Ds.

Jiggy

Playable female character = SOLD. Regardless of whether the character in front is male or female, there's at least the magic user in back.

Although I will say, Yoko had hideous running animations and character design in DoS. :(

Edit: I'm assuming 2D. No 2D equals no sale unless there are five female characters or so. Possibly not even then; my support of female characters can outweigh my 2D-onlyism for lots of series, but 3D in the context of Castlevania just never works.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Anyone who likes the lead characters of Final Fantasy CANNOT complain about that art :lol

Also, if you like Curse of Darkness art, you must LOVE Prince of Persia WW and all it's generic rage glory...

PolyGone

Banned
John Harker said:
if you like Curse of Darkness art, you must LOVE Prince of Persia WW and all it's generic rage glory...

The guy in CoD (don't know his name) doesn't smolder with generic rage, he actually looks calm and collected - cool under fire. Kojima's artwork isn't about attitude but atmosphere, and beauty.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
...that's some really unfortunate character design. possibly the worst thing about the 3d castlevanias is that they keep kojima and yamane away from real castlevanias.

Jado

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
http://www.nintendopower.com/home

ugh...

I'll wait until I see actual pics from the game, but that art is...god. Yu-Gi-Oh

castlevaniacomparison5qm.jpg

lol

As good as the artwork on the right is, I've always felt Ayami Kojima messed up but decided to keep going. The guy's head is tiny compared to his body, unlike any of her other Castlevania artwork. It ruins an otherwise incredible piece of artwork.

This new Castlevania art looks worse than the Dawn of Sorrow art, but that never stopped anyone from enjoying DoS.

PhoenixDark said:
http://www.nintendopower.com/home

ugh...

I'll wait until I see actual pics from the game, but that art is...god. Yu-Gi-Oh

castlevaniacomparison5qm.jpg

lol

I'm sorry but as much as I like the older painting style, can you really prefer a man with giant hips and a tiny tiny tiny head (in the painting at least) who stars in a boring and crappy action adventure dungeon crawl with in game art that is actually closer to the anime style than anything else??

Top Bottom