• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

BooJoh

Awesome. Level select will probably get me to finish this game. I just don't have the patience to play an oldschool CV game for more than a couple levels at a time.

Davey Cakes

BooJoh said:
Awesome. Level select will probably get me to finish this game. I just don't have the patience to play an oldschool CV game for more than a couple levels at a time.
It seems like EVERYONE is in favor of a level select option for these types of games.

Seriously, like I said, oldschool arcade-style play isn't the reason why old games are good. The original Castlevania is still a fine game, but just look at CV3; that game uses passwords and it's probably about twice as good as the original CV.

So, yeah, I'm glad that they included a level-select in Rebirth. It's just sensible.

heringer

Just played through the first two stages. Awesome stuff. Apparently there are a lot of different patchs, so I'll replay those levels later.

Even though it's "classic" Castlevania, I got the feeling I was looking for, so the money was well worth it. The controls are great too, very responsive. I thought they would be much stiffer.

Too bad it's a short game. When I finish this I'll be eager to more Castlevania. :(

bryehn

Chairhome said:
Rough estimate of completion time? just so i know how much time to set aside...

2 hours.

A bit late, but I posted a review yesterday. Loved this game, the branching paths that required you to save keys...magnifique!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fuck off Konami, kindly, will ya?
Once again Rebirth games are deliberately not published in Italy.
No Gradius, no Contra and... no Castlevania.
WHY WHYYYYYYYYY?!

Damn, I remember to have gotten Rebirth through changing my region to Switzerland but I honestly don't remember if I risk loosing my Nintendo Points or whatever in doing so (I have 600 points left). Fuck.
If some Australian folk can help me out, maybe someone changed their region to swith to UK/EU (since TG16 games weren't released at the time in AUS iirc).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Night_Trekker said:
It also had a special music chip that made (most of) the music sound better. And nude statues! :D
Yeah, Akumajou Densetsu is where it's at if you want to play CV3 :D. The music is so much more meaty, CV3 sounds very weak in comparison

Edit: Played to level 3, this game kicks ass. Music reminds me of Konami's various arcade titles, like Turtles or Sunset Riders, which is awesome.

Wizpig

Dash Kappei said:
Fuck off Konami, kindly, will ya?
Once again Rebirth games are deliberately not published in Italy.
No Gradius, no Contra and... no Castlevania.
WHY WHYYYYYYYYY?!
Wanted to buy it, forgot about this.
Is it still not up in Italy? jesus chr...

How do I access other "marketplaces" to buy this? will i lose my current points?

AND WHY is Konami being such an ass?

Celine

Wizpig said:
Wanted to buy it, forgot about this.
Is it still not up in Italy? jesus chr...

How do I access other "marketplaces" to buy this? will i lose my current points?

AND WHY is Konami being such an ass?
_
Iniziamo l’analisi del titolo ricordando ai più distratti, come già fatto in una precedente news, le modalità di scaricamento di Castlevania: the Adventure Rebirth.
Il titolo Konami per questioni legate alle licenze non giunge ufficialmente in Italia nella sua versione WiiWare. Come nel caso di Gradius Rebirth e Contra Rebirth, anche il ritorno del vampiro necessita perciò di un piccolo stratagemma per essere scaricato sui Wii italiani.
Esso consiste nel cambiare la nazione di origine della nostra console, utilizzando un altro paese europeo come ad esempio la Francia, accettare nuovamente gli accordi contrattuali, entrare nel Canale WiiWare e scaricare il gioco spendendo 1000 punti. Al termine delle operazioni si può poi tornare nuovamente all'Italia, siglando di nuovo gli accordi contrattuali e trovando il titolo nella memoria della console o su scheda SD (a seconda di dove lo abbiate scaricato).

Why did I wait so long to get this awesome game? I also got Contra Rebirth and played that first... it's good but kind of feels and looks kind of... cheap, a pretty typical retro knockoff. Apes games like Contra 3 but doesn't come close to matching them. So I didn't expect too much from CV Rebirth, but this game delivers. It looks awesome and feels perfectly paced... nice difficulty arc, minimal cheap hits, interesting levels... feels like legit 90's Castlevania. Wish it had its own original music to further this original feel, but at least it was nice to hear some lesser heard tunes like the first level theme from Bloodlines.

Fady K

Surprised this got only one thread on GAF back then. Just beat it today - lovely! Though it baffles me how Konami released this only on the Wii eShop. I mean, I have no idea how much it sold but I barely hear it being talked about even back when it released.

If any Wii owning Castlevania fan somehow missed this, go for it. It's short, fun, looks nice, plays smoothly, has a decent challenge, around 10-12 bosses and a pretty cool remix of old Castlevania tunes.

120v

funny this was bumped... was thinking this morning i should dust off my wii and get this before it's unavailable

Psxphile

Surprised this got only one thread on GAF back then. Just beat it today - lovely! Though it baffles me how Konami released this only on the Wii eShop. I mean, I have no idea how much it sold but I barely hear it being talked about even back when it released.

If any Wii owning Castlevania fan somehow missed this, go for it. It's short, fun, looks nice, plays smoothly, has a decent challenge, around 10-12 bosses and a pretty cool remix of old Castlevania tunes.

In a perfect world, a lot of the original titles that were originally released just on WiiWare would be ported to other consoles/PC as collections. Konami Rebirth Collection, for one. Maybe even retail!

*sigh* In a perfect world...

EDIT: oh wait, you can still download and play this on WiiU, right? That's not so bad.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm alright with this crazy bump.

Castlevania Rebirth is awesome, and it's a game that very few people have even heard of, let alone played. Totally worth checking out if you're into old-style 'Vania, though.

Fady K

Weird confusing bump... I should go to a doctor.

I tend to post impressions on the latest thread rather than creating an LTTP thread since I feel I won't have a big enough opening post.

funny this was bumped... was thinking this morning i should dust off my wii and get this before it's unavailable

Go for it, not sure if it'll be unavailable someday but you never know.

In a perfect world, a lot of the original titles that were originally released just on WiiWare would be ported to other consoles/PC as collections. Konami Rebirth Collection, for one. Maybe even retail!

*sigh* In a perfect world...

EDIT: oh wait, you can still download and play this on WiiU, right? That's not so bad.

I bought mine some time back though it should still be available.

I'm alright with this crazy bump.

Castlevania Rebirth is awesome, and it's a game that very few people have even heard of, let alone played. Totally worth checking out if you're into old-style 'Vania, though.

Agreed! Don't understand why Konami didn't release this on more platforms for potentially more sales.

Damn, necro bump. I got excited thinking this was coming to another platform, before my eyes finished reading the thread title.

This is why we need a definitive, comprehensive Classicvania collection with great emulation, borderless and all the gems + versions, not just a few of them.

It also makes the Flame Orb power to dissipate after being hit once.

Some subweapons are removed, too.

I've owned this game for years, was super excited about it when it was announced and when it came out (though Rondo of Blood getting released on Wii Virtual Console not long thereafter stole my attention away pretty quickly). I knew about the hidden stage select/save feature, but I had no idea that there was more to the "classic" style option than just not being able to control your jump while in midair. I'll have to check this out!

yeah, the whole M2-Konami line of Wii Ware remakes were pretty dope in general. Heck, their Contra game throughly outclassed the glossier and higher budget Hard Cops: Uprising that came out around the same time on PS3/360.

but that's a digression, Castlevania was great. I need to play that again now that I can clearly note the passage of time since I heated it up last (five years, eh? How about that).

RedSwirl

I'd been wondering about this game way back. So according to this thread it's good? I guess I'll plan to buy it some day, but I hope it doesn't stay locked on WiiWare forever. I wonder what other good obscure WiiWare exclusives there are. Weren't there some other classic remakes like Blaster Master and Contra?

Fady K

Konami should put this on the Wii U proper.

Indeed - more people need to play this! It's not like Konami is husy developing other games other than PES 2017 and Yu Gi Oh games as far as we know :/

Shit, I played this 6 years ago? I really need to finish it.

It'll take you 3-4 hours tops I think. Enjoy it!

I'd been wondering about this game way back. So according to this thread it's good? I guess I'll plan to buy it some day, but I hope it doesn't stay locked on WiiWare forever. I wonder what other good obscure WiiWare exclusives there are. Weren't there some other classic remakes like Blaster Master and Contra?

It is great indeed, its a good looking 2D Castlevania game that plays better than the classics -i.e. smoother and faster. Short yet sweet. There are indeed other "Rebirth" titles from Konami on there like Contra and Gradius rebirth.

Meesh

Crazy bump, but what are the odds Nintebdo will reintroduce these good old Wiiware games on NX? It'd be a shame if they were just casualties of growing pains and Nintendos lack of interest in integrating Wiiware catalog in future Wiivc/Wiiware on NX...

This game was the one that made me utter the original #FucKonami when I saw it was only coming to WiiWare and continues to be exclusive to WiiWare. Easily the most neglected and least used digital service of any console to date.

A quick Steam port would easily double whatever it might've sold on Wii.

Was this remake helmed by Koji Igarashi?

Fady K

This game was the one that made me utter the original #FucKonami when I saw it was only coming to WiiWare and continues to be exclusive to WiiWare. Easily the most neglected and least used digital service of any console to date.

A quick Steam port would easily double whatever it might've sold on Wii.

Was this remake helmed by Koji Igarashi?

Keeping it exclusive to the Wii eshop is mind boggling.

Top Bottom