• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

magicalsoundshower said:
When was the last time you listened to a Genesis game? Genesis Castlevania music sounds like this. The remake sounds a lot richer and has a lot more instruments.
Those are the sweetest sounding farts I've ever heard.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love the sound of the genesis audio chip. it's got this tinny sound to it that reminds me of the old konami sound boards (TMNT ARCADE comes immediately to mind). i never noticed it when i was little, but so many games have this distinct "twang" to the music and sound effects, not unlike plucking the strings of an electric guitar when it's not plugged in. or something.

worked great for stuff like T2: ARCADE, or anything robot- or metal-centric :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shame, Contra Rebirth had the same sub-SNES visual and sound problems, but had some big new ideas that make it stand out.
No, it is most certainly NOT sub-SNES. The audio quality is a huge step over most synth back in the day and sounds more like an arcade game from this period, rather than the muffled, sampled SNES music. They wanted to do chip tune music for this game.

Contra Rebirth had a lot of sprite work, rotation, and effects that would totally stall the SNES. The backgrounds weren't as good as they should have been, but that was more a fault of the designers than the engine. That has been addressed in this new CV game, however, as there are many more layers of parallax scrolling.

I've been on a real retro kick lately with Genesis and SNES stuff (the real systems) and I can safely say that these Rebirth games are a step above what you get on those platforms. I think you need to go back and play the SNES again...

Watch some CVIV...you REALLY think that sounds better than Rebirth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxkq402gYEo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFw5Okb7rs&feature=related

Ranger X

Mak said:
What?! Cool. There isn't an update tab in the NA shop, unless you're just suppose to redownload it, assuming the shops in other territories were updated too. I don't want to download yet until I can put the old version on a card.

http://www.konami.jp/products/dl_wii_gradius_re_ww/index.html#info

Yes there is. It's the "download" button that is swap for an "update" button. I witnessed this with Starfox 64 and Bonk's Adventure.

Teknoman said:
Thats understandable. IMO the only good Genesis soundtracks i've heard were from Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Sonic, Rocket Knight, Ristar, Contra, Streets of Rage, and Castlevania. The rest sound too much like old school PC game music.

Thunderforce, Alien Soldier, Gunstar, Chakan, Devil Crash, and a lot more.

I'm just naming off games I owned with rockin tunes. The little synthasizer on the Genny doesn't get the credit it deserves. It can be programmed to pump out some seriously awesome music.

zmet

Arpharmd B said:

I'm just naming off games I owned with rockin tunes. The little synthasizer on the Genny doesn't get the credit it deserves. It can be programmed to pump out some seriously awesome music.
Exactly! I enjoy the chip tunes that come off the Genesis/Mega Drive and the PC Engine (can't get enough of Dragon Spirit) more these days than the echoey SNES/Super Famicom tunes. Yuck!

andymcc

Banned
Arpharmd B said:

the basslines on genesis games are so much deeper and more awesome sounding.

revenge of shinobi has such fucking badass music.

D3RANG3D

dark10x said:
No, it is most certainly NOT sub-SNES. The audio quality is a huge step over most synth back in the day and sounds more like an arcade game from this period, rather than the muffled, sampled SNES music. They wanted to do chip tune music for this game.

Contra Rebirth had a lot of sprite work, rotation, and effects that would totally stall the SNES. The backgrounds weren't as good as they should have been, but that was more a fault of the designers than the engine. That has been addressed in this new CV game, however, as there are many more layers of parallax scrolling.

I've been on a real retro kick lately with Genesis and SNES stuff (the real systems) and I can safely say that these Rebirth games are a step above what you get on those platforms. I think you need to go back and play the SNES again...

Watch some CVIV...you REALLY think that sounds better than Rebirth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxkq402gYEo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFw5Okb7rs&feature=related

Do the Snes games look better no, do they sound better to me they still do, does rebirth sound better than the Genesis I think so, I'm definitely not complaining about the music on rebirth though, I like it especially the Belmont's revenge tune!

andymcc said:
the basslines on genesis games are so much deeper and more awesome sounding.

Genesis was vastly inferior when it came to bass.

The SNES sound chip took a lot of skill to use properly, both technically and aesthetically, but the results were far superior at their best.

TheCardPlayer said:
Oh God, CVIV. So good. That Bloody Tears might be the best in the series. Damn that game is glorious.

With the exception of the drums near the end of the loop, the instrumentation is flimsy IMO.

The Rondo one was stronger on the whole.

D.Lo

Okay, just finished this, the last stage was freaking tough. Breezed through stages 1-4, and Drac was way easier then stage 5. Did it NES style, left the system on and just kept continuing until I got it. AFAICT there's no save option? If there is as it doesn't display on my Hybrid Wii (NTSCJ system, NTSCJ shop access, hacked with PAL System menu). There are some blue windows that pop up when loading the game, but they are blank, most likely as a result of my English Wii menu not having Japanese characters to display when prompted.

It did end up having quite a lot of elements from the original Game Boy games too, and the ending and ending music are straight from the original Dracula Densetsu. Lots of 'traps' like the GB games too. Wish they'd gone with ropes instead of stairs, but there are at least references to the ropes.

Overall I enjoyed it quite a lot actually. It's a genuine Castlevania with a damn good challenge (played through on default normal setting with 3 lives). An excellent throwback, looked good throughout, soundtrack isn't the all time greatest (it's no CV4 or Drac X) but is decent, about Bloodlines level. Played it with a SNES controller via adapter, in fact, the exact same controller I got with my SNES in 1992 and finished Castlevania IV with!

I've really turned around on this one after stage 5, I actually put it mid tier for the series even. I'll take more of these thank you Konami!

D.Lo said:
Okay, just finished this, the last stage was freaking tough. Breezed through stages 1-4, and Drac was way easier then stage 5. Did it NES style, left the system on and just kept continuing until I got it. AFAICT there's no save option? If there is as it doesn't display on my Hybrid Wii (NTSCJ system, NTSCJ shop access, hacked with PAL System menu). There are some blue windows that pop up when loading the game, but they are blank, most likely as a result of my English Wii menu not having Japanese characters to display when prompted.

It did end up having quite a lot of elements from the original Game Boy games too, and the ending and ending music are straight from the original Dracula Densetsu. Lots of 'traps' like the GB games too. Wish they'd gone with ropes instead of stairs, but there are at least references to the ropes.

Overall I enjoyed it quite a lot actually. It's a genuine Castlevania with a damn good challenge (played through on default normal setting with 3 lives). An excellent throwback, looked good throughout, soundtrack isn't the all time greatest (it's no CV4 or Drac X) but is decent, about Bloodlines level. Played it with a SNES controller via adapter, in fact, the exact same controller I got with my SNES in 1992 and finished Castlevania IV with!

I've really turned around on this one after stage 5, I actually put it mid tier for the series even. I'll take more of these thank you Konami!

I pretty much agree. It's like Bloodlines, where you can just pop it in and enjoy it without getting too involved. Lots of references to Belmont's Revenge, too. What really impressed me was how they retained specific gameplay elements of Castlevania Adventure, even though it's pretty much a completely different game.
I still think it was kind of an insult not to use the awesome first level theme of CV Adventure, though. Some of the scenery looked a little overboard and mish-mash, too. I could imagine IGA coming in and telling them there weren't enough clock towers in the background.

D.Lo

ace harding: private eye said:
I pretty much agree. It's like Bloodlines, where you can just pop it in and enjoy it without getting too involved. Lots of references to Belmont's Revenge, too. What really impressed me was how they retained specific gameplay elements of Castlevania Adventure, even though it's pretty much a completely different game.
I still think it was kind of an insult not to use the awesome first level theme of CV Adventure, though. Some of the scenery looked a little overboard and mish-mash, too. I could imagine IGA coming in and telling them there weren't enough clock towers in the background.
True, CVA had great music, if this had simply remixed all the tunes of the first GB game it would have had a great soundtrack and been a clear remake rather then the mash-up it ended up being. The Belmonts's Revenge stuff (like the crazy jellyfish and rope monkey skeletons) was almost even a little disappointing, as a more straightforward remake of BM in this style would be simply amazing.

But still, much better then another cookie-cutter Metroid clone (not that they're all bad, they're just all the same), or the awkward 'straight' remake in Drac X Chronicles.

ReyVGM

D.Lo said:
It did end up having quite a lot of elements from the original Game Boy games too, and the ending and ending music are straight from the original Dracula Densetsu.

Dracula Densetsu 2 ending music actually.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guess it was good timing giving my kids a Wii for X-mas. I'm sure they will enjoy this game but I really should play the everliving shit out of it first just to make sure. ;-)

I am bumping this thread to say that Wiimote + Nunchuck is actually a great setup because of how much freedom the game gives you in customizing your controls. Set Jump & Whip to the Nunchuck's C + Z buttons (or Z & C, whichever way you prefer), and then hold the Wiimote in your left hand. This gives a comfortable setup over sideways Wiimote without sacrificing any precision.

I wish I could control Megaman 9 or NSMB Wii like this. It's a great way to control side scrolling games.

Ranger X

KittenMaster said:
I am bumping this thread to say that Wiimote + Nunchuck is actually a great setup because of how much freedom the game gives you in customizing your controls. Set Jump & Whip to the Nunchuck's C + Z buttons (or Z & C, whichever way you prefer), and then hold the Wiimote in your left hand. This gives a comfortable setup over sideways Wiimote without sacrificing any precision.

I wish I could control Megaman 9 or NSMB Wii like this. It's a great way to control side scrolling games.

Just with the Wiimote on its side i'm already happy. I might play with the classic controller though. (right now i'm too lazy)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Something I haven't seen mentioned before is that the default aspect ratio for this and Contra Rebirth are wrong.

Here's what Castlevania Rebirth looks like with the default screen settings (sorry for this crappy YouTube shot):

bjcrrs.jpg

and here's what it should look like (taken directly from Konami's website):

2wm18jr.jpg

You will notice the the moon in the first shot is oval and in the second shot it's round as it should be.

You can fix this in the options menu under Screen Adjust. Set SCREEN SCALE X to 115

Wow holy shit. Fucking figures that as soon as there's something I want to buy on the VC, I can't find any Wii Points cards anywhere. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Luigiv

brandonh83 said:
Wow holy shit. Fucking figures that as soon as there's something I want to buy on the VC, I can't find any Wii Points cards anywhere. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Time to get a credit/debit card by the sounds of it.

I downloaded this before work today (at home on the family's Wii) but didn't have time to play it. I might go over there a few hours early tomorrow :lol

Yes Boss!

VideoMan said:
Something I haven't seen mentioned before is that the default aspect ratio for this and Contra Rebirth are wrong.

Yeah, thought that was weird and it was a week till I figured out what was wrong. I just kinda widened it a little to compensate like you did.

radcliff

VideoMan said:

Here's what Castlevania Rebirth looks like with the default screen settings (sorry for this crappy YouTube shot):

bjcrrs.jpg

2wm18jr.jpg

You will notice the the moon in the first shot is oval and in the second shot it's round as it should be.

You can fix this in the options menu under Screen Adjust. Set SCREEN SCALE X to 115

Here's what you do:

Set your Wii to 4:3 and your TV to 16:9. Not only will the game display in widescreen, but it removes all the blurryness.

Also works for Contra Rebirth and Megaman 9.

thefro

I really love the controls in this game... so good. They basically took the jump from the DS Metroidvanias and tweaked it a bit so the platforming almost feels like Megaman, especially when the whip is shooting fireballs. I get the same kind of "flow" doing the platforming (once I know what's coming) that I did while playing Megaman 9.

Would love to see M2 make another Castlevania like this with 2x the length, because that'd probably end up being the best in the series.

Luigiv said:
Time to get a credit/debit card by the sounds of it.

I do. When I tried to get it, it said that credit cards cannot be used on this Wii console. I called Nintendo about it last night and they said that though it's an extremely rare occurrence that they've had problems with it before and they're going to contact me today and try to fix the issue.

Yes Boss!

radcliff said:
Here's what you do:

Set your Wii to 4:3 and your TV to 16:9. Not only will the game display in widescreen, but it removes all the blurryness.

Also works for Contra Rebirth and Megaman 9.

Wow, thanks for that tip. Makes the game far less blurry on my inexpensive HDTV. Not entirely convenient but worth it to switch for the game. Wonder why all these weird settings.

This game rocks faces. Is the music from Stage 2 and on all original? If it is, it's some of the best original CV music I've heard in years. (Especially stage 3) It was good to see that Iga is still associated with it in some fashion.

Here's hoping we get more like this...

VideoMan said:

bjcrrs.jpg

2wm18jr.jpg

The anti-aliasing kicks in when you mess up with the Screen Scale, putting on that vaseline/blurry look. Either leave it that way or force your TV in 16:9 (as mentioned above) while keeping your Wii in 4:3.

Just beat the game, it's freaking awesome! Hard as nails (especially stage 5!) but perfectly fair and pretty lengthy too (a bit longer than CV1 but shorter than CV4)

Level design is very good (despite looking a bit mish mash in certain places) but it's a lot of fun and does have some neat gameplay elements scattered throughout that are new to the series)

Overall it's a very good CV game, well worth your 1000 points! :D

Hard as nails (especially stage 5!) but perfectly fair and pretty lengthy too (a bit longer than CV1 but shorter than CV4)

OFTLOG!!!

Get some Wii Points in stock, somewhere, get some in stock! Or better yet, fix my shit Nintendo! :lol

Sciz

FrostuTheNinja said:
This game rocks faces. Is the music from Stage 2 and on all original? If it is, it's some of the best original CV music I've heard in years. (Especially stage 2)
Nah. The only tracks that might be original are the opening and the first boss theme, and the only reason I'm not sure about them is just that I haven't been able to pinpoint where they're from yet. Everything else is pulled from elsewhere in the series, though it leans towards the obscure.

01. Title & Map - from Castlevania: The Adventure
02. Opening - from ???
03. Stage Intro - from Castlevania X68000
04. Stage 1 - REINCARNATED SOUL from Castlevania Bloodlines
05. Stage 2 - LULLABY SENT TO THE DEVIL from Haunted Castle (or Sent to the Devil's Requiem, depending on the translation)
06. Stage 3 - NEW MESSIAH from Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
07. Stage 4 - File Load BGM from Castlevania X68000
08. Stage 5 - AQUARIUS from Castlevania III
09. Stage 6 - VAMPIRE KILLER from Castlevania
10. Boss 1 - ???
11. Boss 2 - Final Battle from Haunted Castle
12. Final Boss - RIDDLE from Castlevania III
13. Stage Clear - from Castlevania
14. All Clear - from Super Castlevania IV
15. Ending - THE END OF THE DAY from Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
16. Player Out - from Castlevania
17. Game Over - ???

Better Castlevania scholars than I can probably fill in the gaps.

Picked this up and it is very good. I played through on normal and it was great but I think the game will really shine on hard mode. From the first stage alone I saw more enemies and a greater variety of them in every area. Coupled with the arcade-style pacing and it makes for a pretty awesome game.

Oh and I really dig the hit box here. I've seen medusa heads get close enough to rub noses with Chris and still I don't take damage. Great stuff.

Nitpicks:
Stage 5 runs a bit long. What I mean is by the time I got to the boss I had maybe 40 seconds left. So in a way if I was going for score it would be better for me to get killed and then get 2-3 minutes on the clock on my next life for the boss. Maybe more time could simply be added. *shrug*
That maze of sorts on stage 4. I see where they were going with it but that massize pile of bone pillars is just annoying. Still gotta try it again to see what's behind the double locked doors too.
Final Boss is EZ. Course it helps that he's basically the entirety of stage 6 but heck that's all the more reason to toughen him up a bit.
Can't jump on/off stairs. Yeah I'm really nitpicking here especially since this game patterns itself closer to classic CV than Bloodlines/Rondo so oh well.

All in all this is a great CV and M2 fucking rules.

Top Bottom