• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

Ranger X

Ranger X said:
Damn, the game is really nice and it quite a mandatory buy for a Castlevania fan but there's ONE thing I don't understand about those kind of retro games like this and Megaman 9.

When you make a retro game it's for nostalgia. But why do you bring back the BAD nostalgia? Why bring back the shit jump? No whiping in 8 directions? Why giving old clumsy controls when you could have re-live through only the GOOD nostalgia.

Shit, even when I was a kid I was making the difference between a shit jump and good jump. Between bad controls and good controls. Even as a kid I wanted Symphony of the night controls. Castlevania was so nice in all other aspects that you actually loved the games and played them to death but THERE WAS stuff you wish was better. For me it was the controls.

Anyhow, you get my point. Why bring back the BAD nostalgia? Why not at least give an option "old jump on/off"? Why no difficulty levels in Megaman 9? Old Megaman weren't all that hard to begin with and anyways, the difficulty in some parts was their downside and not what "made Megaman".

Looks like it's very rare someone knows how to make a retro game. Nintendo when they made NSMB they didn't revert back at SMB1 shit controls and simpler gameplay even if that game can also be seen as retro and a "rebirth" of old Mario games.

Quoted for reading justice.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Ranger X said:
Nintendo when they made NSMB they didn't revert back at SMB1 shit controls and simpler gameplay even if that game can also be seen as retro and a "rebirth" of old Mario games.
RAGE.jpg

Retro

Ranger X said:
When you make a retro game it's for nostalgia. But why do you bring back the BAD nostalgia? Why bring back the shit jump? No whiping in 8 directions? Why giving old clumsy controls when you could have re-live through only the GOOD nostalgia.

Because not being able to change direction mid-jump and having to rely on Secondary Weapons (namely the Axe and Holy Water) to attack at enemies over or under you is how we remember Castlevania for the first games in the series. It may be clumsy, but that's just how Castlevania was played for the first 5 years or so. It may not look pretty, but mastering the controls was part of the difficulty and charm.

Is it clumsy? Yes. Frustrating? Hell Yes. Does it play like Castlevania? Sure as hell looks like it, and you can consider me sold.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Retro said:
Because not being able to change direction mid-jump and having to rely on Secondary Weapons (namely the Axe and Holy Water) to attack at enemies over or under you is how we remember Castlevania for the first games in the series. It may be clumsy, but that's just how Castlevania was played for the first 5 years or so. It may not look pretty, but mastering the controls was part of the difficulty and charm.

Is it clumsy? Yes. Frustrating? Hell Yes. Does it play like Castlevania? Sure as hell looks like it, and you can consider me sold.

This is absolutely correct, but it goes beyond just the "that's the way it is was" charm though. The controlled jumping and 8-way directional whipping are definitely more user-friendly, but in many ways they broke some of the core elements of the series, and it became quite a bit easier. It makes you more carefully approach both the attacking and platforming elements, forcing you to be less careless. I always though Dracula X was the best compromise between the two, personally, but attacking it for being "old" would be totally missing the point.

Mid-air multi-directional whipping is way too much of a gamebreaker, IMO. It's like giving the Bionic Commando a jump button. The chunky jump I can take or leave.

Ranger X

Retro said:

hear me right, the only details I would like to change is the jump itself (because it would change nothing except remove the "frustrating" part). All the rest can stay the old way. We need the same types of level, the gameplay in overall, etc.
I would also prefered a more SNES-like 16bits sound but nothing is perfect it seems.

thefro

Ranger X said:
Anyhow, you get my point. Why bring back the BAD nostalgia? Why not at least give an option "old jump on/off"? Why no difficulty levels in Megaman 9? Old Megaman weren't all that hard to begin with and anyways, the difficulty in some parts was their downside and not what "made Megaman".

Well, you actually can change direction in mid-air by default in this game... heard once you beat it on normal a switch appears in the options menu allowing you to change the jumping style to "classic".

TunaLover

The animation is great, the art direction is more adjusted to today standarts but still have that Dracula X feeling, pretty atmospheric with excellent soundtrack, it looks like a solid Castlevania, I just hope more stages, I don't care if they are DLC, just want more stages =/

Ranger X said:
Damn, the game is really nice and it quite a mandatory buy for a Castlevania fan but there's ONE thing I don't understand about those kind of retro games like this and Megaman 9.

I understand the jump complaints, but 8 directional whipping isn't needed unless the enemies are specifically designed to necessitate it. Otherwise things become too boringly easy, like they did in SCV4.

Retro

discoalucard said:
This is absolutely correct, but it goes beyond just the "that's the way it is was" charm though.

That's what I meant by "mastering the controls was part of the difficulty and charm." If you have 8-way whipping, you take nearly all of the evil out of Medusa Heads, and what fun is that? The difficulty level is no less difficult just because it happened to come about due to limited technology.

It forces you to play a certain way, which is what games are all about. Limits on what you can do, for whatever reason, are what define games. After all, if you're looking to win a Boxing match, it'd be much more effective to bring a baseball bat.There's limits though, which is why it's a game, and not the street brawl it's derived from.

.... So... we completely agree with each other and this post was pointless?

discoalucard said:
Right. Just checking. :lol

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Retro said:
.... So... we compeltely agree with each other and this post was pointless? Right. Just checking. :lol

Yup! It was more clarification for all of those folks that just seem to think it's all
"purposely bad" for the sake of nostalgia. Although it seems that since you can change directions mid-air anyway, that seems to be a moot point.

I think there needs to be a delineation between useful and overkill control evolution, with mid-air jump control and stair hopping falling into the former, and omnidirectional whipping going to the latter.

Ranger X

cartman414 said:
I understand the jump complaints, but 8 directional whipping isn't needed unless the enemies are specifically designed to necessitate it. Otherwise things become too boringly easy, like they did in SCV4.

Well, for the difficulty level it's a question of game design and level design. They simply had to make it harder if it was to easy. This is another story.

Anyhow, the whip thing is minor, I cared more about the jump.

Retro

discoalucard said:
It was more clarification for all of those folks that just seem to think it's all "purposely bad" for the sake of nostalgia. Although it seems that since you can change directions mid-air anyway, that seems to be a moot point.
Some of my favorite points are moot, that doesn't change the fact that they're still fun. Plus, they have the added benefit of being moot, which just makes it fun to say. Moot moot moot.

Where was I? Oh, yeah.

Ranger X said:
Well, for the difficulty level it's a question of game design and level design. They simply had to make it harder if it was to easy. This is another story.
Having the limits you describe is basically how Castlevania defined it's difficulty, whether intentionally or not. The series did, once upon a time and within a limited circle of communication (read: neighborhoods and schoolyards), have a reputation for being murderously difficult. Why look for new ways to 'make it harder' when the series' roots (which is what this title is evoking) already have a clear and very effective method of doing exactly that?

For the first few games of the series, Castlevania was about smashing your controller to powder after a Medusa Head casually bumps you off a platform and into oblivion, looking like you're having a seizure while dodging Death's scythes, and assorted nuggets of nostalgia that go waaaay beyond whips and castles. The 'crappy' dodging, stair mechanics, and limited attack directions make you work for victory, much more than recent entries in the series.

You might even say they're more realistic; can you change direction in mid-jump? Another moot point, however; whips are hardly effective weapons, vampires are dreamy teen idols that sparkle in sunlight, and scary, erratically moving, crazy-haired woman-heads are confined to Amy Winehouse.

As a disclaimer, I am forced by law and my three copies (4 if you count Digital) to state that SotN is still my favorite Castlevania, but the originals will always hold a Place in my Heart and a Dent in my Drywall. Just wanted to clarify that I'm not knocking the newer games out of some misplaced jaded retro-gamer mentality. Considering my username though, you might want to take that statement with a bucket of salt (I hear it wards away evil spirits).

Davey Cakes

While I loved the feeling of having more control over my jumps in, say, Super Castlevania IV, going back and playing CVIII made me, in a way, appreciate the more "dated" jumping system. There's just something about having to actually plan your jumps (knowing that, once you jump, there's no turning back) that makes the platforming more satisfying and the enemy encounters more intense.

So, yeah, I find it possible to enjoy any of the jumping styles, honestly. For the Rebirth, I'll definitely give it a replay with the "classic" option.

Retro said:
Where was I? Oh, yeah. Castlevania is more than killing skeletons with a whip in a gothic setting. It's about smashing your controller to powder after a Medusa Head casually bumps you off a platform and into oblivion, looking like you're having a seizure while dodging Death's scythes, and assorted nuggets of nostalgia that go waaaay beyond whips and castles. The 'crappy' dodging, stair mechanics, and limited attack directions make you work for victory, much more than recent entries in the series.

Castlevania III seemed to have smoothed out the jumping mechanics - which is my only complaint; but everything else in your post remained intact. I didn't mind those problems as much as this game seems to force jumping straight up and down and walking at a crawl's pace.

thefro said:
Well, you actually can change direction in mid-air by default in this game... heard once you beat it on normal a switch appears in the options menu allowing you to change the jumping style to "classic".

Thank god.

Sold.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ranger X said:
No whiping in 8 directions? Why giving old clumsy controls when you could have re-live through only the GOOD nostalgia.

Shit, even when I was a kid I was making the difference between a shit jump and good jump. Between bad controls and good controls. Even as a kid I wanted Symphony of the night controls. Castlevania was so nice in all other aspects that you actually loved the games and played them to death but THERE WAS stuff you wish was better. For me it was the controls.

wasn't the 8 directional thing only in IV, certainly not is SotN...

levious said:
wasn't the 8 directional thing only in IV, certainly not is SotN...

Yea, the 8 directional whip actually seems less fun than the horizontal slash, imo. Diagonal jumping + horizontal whip = perfect blend.

Retro

mentalfloss said:
I didn't mind those problems as much as this game seems to force jumping straight up and down and walking at a crawl's pace.

I thought the pace was fine. It's not Sonic, where the objective is to run as quickly as possible*, it's Castlevania. The walking speed didn't stand out as exceptionally slow to me, it seemed to be about right where Bloodlines and CVIV were, if my memory is correct (which it probably isn't, but never you mind).

It's linear, as near as I can tell, so there's zero backtracking to want to run through. The jumps, I can give you, because later games in the series did improve them... but the speed seems dead on.

*- Yes, I am kidding.

andymcc

Banned
evilromero said:
It's funny. All the things the video author mentions you can't do (jump on stairs, walk backwards, crouch walk) are things you could do from SCIV. Also, the music quality sounds like a straight rip form the Genesis. Farts galore!

why would you need to walk backwards or crouch walk?

you could only jump on stairs and DROP off of them in SCIV. in Drac X you could jump on and off of them. that seems more handy. oh, and being able to pick up your old sub-weapon, that's more helpful (and not game-breaking) than multi-directional whipping.

Ranger X

Shiiit, looks like I shouldn't have mentionned the whip! :lol It's a sensible cord for many it seems.

I CARED ABOUT THE JUMP. The whip is a very minor complain. I was just stating all my complains in one post. I also talked about the Genesis like music, another minor thing for me but nobody reacted. :lol

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
In the Nunchuk controls menu there's a setting labeled SWING that you can turn on or off. Anybody know what this is? I'm thinking it might mean you can swing the Wiimote to whip. :lol

nincompoop said:
Guess we should expect PepsimanVsJoe's full review any time now

Why would anyone want to spoil an entire game for themself by watching it online before they have a chance to play it? Especially a short game like Castlevania.
I'd review it now but the Wii sucks at youtube.

ReyVGM

Here's an updated tracklist:

Short "Vampire Killer" tune for the Starting Menu / Level Entrance.
"Start BGM" from Castlevania The Adventure as the Title Screen / Map Screen music.
The map music from Castlevania Dracula X as the Opening Cutscene music.

"Reincarnated Soul" from Bloodlines as the Stage 1 music.
"Lullaby Sent To The Devil" from Haunted Castle as the Stage 2 music.
"New Messiah" from Belmont's Revenge as the Stage 3 music.
"File Load BGM" from Akumajo Dracula X68000 as the Stage 4 music.
"Aquarius" from Castlevania 3 as the Stage 5 music.
"Vampire Killer" from Castlevania as the Stage 6 music.

Unknown track for mid boss fight & Dracula Battle Phase 1.
"The Last Fight" from Haunted Castle as the Boss & Dracula Battle Phase 2 music.
"Riddle" from Castlevania 3 as the Dracula Battle Phase 3 music.

Stage clear jingle from Castlevania 1 as the stage clear tune.
Stage clear jingle from Castlevania 4 as the all clear tune.

"The End of The Day" from Castlevania 2 Belmont's Revenge as the ending song.

skee

Neo Member
I finally had the chance to see the vids, and I must say that this looks awesome. I was weary because I hated Gradius Rebirth, but this is great. Even that nasty sound I hate so much does not seem to grate on me as I thought it would. Quite the opposite. I actually enjoyed this music!

Will Buy!

Troidal

Put me in the slightly disappointed camp...I just can't put my finger on it, but it's like they took all the not-so-good elements from the past. Graphics look smudgy (maybe it looks better on a DS! *zing*), music doesn't sound great...I really hold Dracula's Curse, Super IV and Dracula X in high regard, graphics, sound, presentation, they got it all right. But this one feels like its the older suckier Castlevania that came before the three.

Contra Rebirth really felt right. Gradius Rebirth was ok. But this one, so far is the least exciting one among the Rebirth series.

I'm a big classic Castlevania fan but this is how I really feel so far.

Teknoman

TheCardPlayer said:

The fuck?

Seriously its good stuff. Its like old school Genesis meets new school. Really all Rebirth titles seem to have Genesisy music.

Damn you Konami release this for Halloween, force Nintendo to do a special update :lol

EDIT: The game has the same graphic style as Contra Rebirth, abit more detailed but similar. Just stretch it to match the screen once you buy it.

Teknoman

Troidal said:
It does sound Genesis-like, maybe why I dont like the music.

I was a NES/SNES kid so I have my biases there...

Thats understandable. IMO the only good Genesis soundtracks i've heard were from Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Sonic, Rocket Knight, Ristar, Contra, Streets of Rage, and Castlevania. The rest sound too much like old school PC game music.

D.Lo

Played to stage 4, overall I don't like the feel really. Having jump control but not whip control or 'stair jump' is a really weird mix. And probably the worst part about the music is that it all sounds the same, the same instruments just playing different melodies. Much like the difference between Mega Drive and SNES graphics, the SNES had a much bigger 'palatte' of samples to work with so you get much more variety. As did, of course, CD based soundtracks like Drac X.

Chucked on Drac X VC straight after and it looks, sounds and feels several times better and tighter. You would think there could be some advances in 16 years, but then again Drac X was the pinnacle of gaming technology and development in 1993 and this is an outsourced budget game not looking to build on anything, but to recall greater things of the past.

Shame, Contra Rebirth had the same sub-SNES visual and sound problems, but had some big new ideas that make it stand out. And of course we just had the vastly superior Contra 4 as well.

Oh well, it's still a fun little romp, and cool to play, but ultimately absolutely nothing special at all.

D.Lo said:
Shame, Contra Rebirth had the same sub-SNES visual and sound problems, but had some big new ideas that make it stand out.
From videos, I don't think you can call any of the Rebirths sub-SNES. There's too much going on in them, and too many colors onscreen.

Music is obviously down to taste; FM vs. samples is an argument that will never be resolved for some folks.

Wizpig

Kind of a stupid question: is this game canon in IGA's "world"?

Also when THE FUCK is this coming out in Europe?

D.Lo

jiji said:
From videos, I don't think you can call any of the Rebirths sub-SNES. There's too much going on in them, and too many colors onscreen.
Maybe not sub-SNES, but not top-tier SNES. Castlevania IV was an early SNES game and while graphical design choices can be debated (purple trees etc) it has pretty much the same amount of variety within a single level section. Later SNES games (say, Axeley or Super Metroid) are in another league altogether.

But yes, the crazy scaling stuff in Contra Rebirth is a level above what your average SNES game did, but it was still blander then Contra Spirits (and waaaaaaay blander then Contra 4). CV Rebirth is better then Contra Rebirth though.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound so down on the game though, the feel is a bit off but I'm definitely enjoying it, and for what it is (budget download) I'm happy. Suppose I just want it all, something that actually surpasses the originals, or the great SNES Castlevania sequel we always should have gotten but never did.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
D.Lo said:
Shame, Contra Rebirth had the same sub-SNES visual and sound problems

Bullshit, what a load of CRAP.
Do you enjoy making stuff up or is it just that you haven't played CTAW since the '90s?

edit:
Guys, is the Gradius Rebirth free update out in NA/EU as well?

* Added BGM
* Score adjustments
* New ranking board (because of the score adjustments)
* Improved visuals
* Shows number of play times
* Stage select adjustments

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
D.Lo said:
Shame, Contra Rebirth had the same sub-SNES visual and sound problems, but had some big new ideas that make it stand out.

What the fuck is this shit? Do you even remember the SNES? Because it sure as shit, didn't look as good as this.

duckroll

jiji said:
I bet he was minimally involved in actual development. He probably spent about ten minutes okaying the funds for the game.

To his credit, that's enough to be thankful for. He didn't have to do it, but he did!

Mak

Dash Kappei said:
Guys, is the Gradius Rebirth free update out in NA/EU as well?

What?! Cool. There isn't an update tab in the NA shop, unless you're just suppose to redownload it, assuming the shops in other territories were updated too. I don't want to download yet until I can put the old version on a card.

http://www.konami.jp/products/dl_wii_gradius_re_ww/index.html#info

September 2, 2008 (Tue) has been delivered, Wii Ware software "GRADIUS ReBirth" For, an updated version of the game changed some of the contents of the multimedia presentation delivered in October 2009 Sun.
つきましては、2009年10月13日以前に当ソフトを受信されたお客さまには更新版「GRADIUS ReBirth」を再受信いただきますようお願いいたします。 In the meantime, 2009 October 13, to our customers who have previously received a software update day "GRADIUS ReBirth" thank you again to receive bon appétit.

【修正内容項目】 [Fix] items
・BGMの追加・スコア調整・上記スコア調整による、新ランキングボードの設置・画面演出の強化・プレイ周回の画面表示・ステージセレクトの調整(4~30周の選択が可能) · BGM scores adjusted by adding the scores of the above adjustments, adjust the stage select screen of the lap board game ranking strengthen the establishment of new production screen (with a choice of 4-30 laps)

【再受信の手順】 [Re] received instructions
すでに受信済みの方は、下記の方法で再受信を行うことができます。 If you already have already received, the receiver can re-do the following ways.
(1)「Wiiメニュー」の「Wiiショッピングチャンネル」を選択 (1) "Wii Menu" of the "Wii Shop Channel" select
(2)「ショッピングへ」を選択 (2) "to Cart" Select
(3)「Wiiウェア」を選択 (3) "Wii Ware" select
(4)「ソフトを名前から探す」を選択 (4) "from the name search software" Select
(5)「GRADIUS ReBirth」で検索 (5) "GRADIUS ReBirth" search
(6)「GRADIUS ReBirth」を選択、確認して「再受信」 (6) "GRADIUS ReBirth" is selected, check "re-receive"

※ 更新版「GRADIUS ReBirth」の再受信は無償です。 ※ updated version of "GRADIUS ReBirth" reception is free again.
※ また、更新後、現在お客さまが遊ばれているソフトのセーブデータは更新版にも引き継がれます。 ※ In addition, after the update, the software saves the data that customers are currently being played will be carried forward into the updated version.

Top Bottom