• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

ReyVGM

Here's the current tracklist:

Short "Vampire Killer" tune for the Starting Menu / Level Entrance.
"Start BGM" from Castlevania The Adventure as the Title Screen / Map Screen music.
The map music from Castlevania Dracula X as the Opening Cutscene music.
Unknown track for mid boss fight.
"The Last Fight" from Haunted Castle as the Boss Music.
"Reincarnated Soul" from Bloolines as the Stage 1 music.
"Lullaby Sent To The Devil" from Haunted Castle as the Stage 2 music.
"New Messiah" from Belmont's Revenge as the Stage 3 music.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
ReyVGM said:
The map music from Castlevania Dracula X as the Opening Cutscene music.

If they put the goddamn map music from the SNES Dracula X, in the game, then holy shit, stop making Castlevania games, it's over. This is the apex of the fucking franchise!

magicalsoundshower said:
Wow, that video has me in awe. The song isn't "Iron Blue Intentions", by the way, it's called "Reincarnated Soul", which is he first level BGM of Bloodlines. Whoever thinks the style it's done in sounds like Genesis music needs to get their ears checked, here's the original.

Are you trying to imply that you think the SNES was more powerful than the arcade hardware at the time? If so I'm not quite sure what to tell you.

Except that the SNES sound chip was more powerful than the Yamaha FM sound chip, which came from the mid-80s.

/\/\/\/\
Well, that's true, I admit. Most arcade machines seemed to use the cruddy Yamaha sound chip in question. When it came to everything else, they obviously ran circles around the SNES, though. If anything, the music in the videos sounds like a beefed-up version of the "Yamaha YM style". Some of the synth leads are obviously modelled after it but the rest of the music sounds much richer.

Anyway, holy crap, level 2 surprised the hell out of me. Can you say
Metroidvania-influenced level designs
?

Somehow I get the feeling a more fitting name for this would be "Castlevania Remix"! I really gotta stop watching footage now.

Foffy

Banned
Heh, this should just be called Castlevania Remix, as it takes a lot from many games and creates a solid experience.

Hell, they even made the main character a right-handed user! Christopher used to be a leftie.

Are we even sure the main character is Christopher and not Soleiyu, his son?

ReyVGM

Who knows. There's a story intro, but its in Japanese. The images shown on the intro are all from Castlevania 3 though.

Foffy said:
Heh, this should just be called Castlevania Remix, as it takes a lot from many games and creates a solid experience.

Hell, they even made the main character a right-handed user! Christopher used to be a leftie.

Are we even sure the main character is Christopher and not Soleiyu, his son?
I glanced over the the intro and while I was terrified by how rusty my Japanese has become, it's easy to decipher that you're indeed playing as Christopher.

D.Lo

magicalsoundshower said:
Are you trying to imply that you think the SNES was more powerful than the arcade hardware at the time? If so I'm not quite sure what to tell you.
SNES SOUND was better then arcade sound of the time.

Foffy

Banned
magicalsoundshower said:
I glanced over the the intro and while I was terrified by how rusty my Japanese has become, it's easy to decipher that you're indeed playing as Christopher.

Ah, well, at least we now have Christopher in color :D

I just hope out of all of the alterations, they keep the ending the same.
Yaknow, the one where Dracula escapes, leading the way to Belmont's Revenge

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I saw the footage of the first stage that was posted on the last page and it's so awesome. I hope it releases in the US soon! I love me some old school Castlevania action. ;D

D.Lo

Just got this. Gotta love Japanese Wii shop with current exchange rates!

Plays pretty well, looks great on my plasma.

You can't jump on or off to stairs mid jump. You do have mid air jump control however. Actually, mid air control plus no multi-directional whipping makes this a weird hybrid of CV styles. My traditional finger movements for old school CV involve me taking my finger off the dpad after jumping forward (as it doesn't do anything), but here you have to keep it down to keep the jump going.

It's also 4:3 only. I'm getting a real 'GBA game on Gameboy player' vibe overall.

EDIT: Maybe not 4:3 only, my half Japanese Wii (NTSCJ Machine with PAL System menu) couldn't display the launch options properly.

EDIT 2: Staff Credit reads: Producer: Kogi Igarashi. So that answers that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love the animation on the whip. the way it kinda hangs behind him, and you can see him sling it forward with full-force is just great. seems silly, but i watched that first stage video, and i just can't stop looking at that whip animation.

This looks great. Hopefully the group making these is so disgusted by the XBLA/PSN Rocket Knight game they make a Sparkster Rebirth as well. One can hope.

D.Lo

Hmm, looks like it is 4:3 only. And as Lyre said it is definitely blurry, as I said, it looks like a GBA game on a Game Boy Player in full screen mode.

Got to stage 3 without losing a single life, I think I'll wait a bit, no point doing it all at once.

For all that I am a bit excited, I'm saving it for the weekend. First original 2d action Castlevania in a long long time. I need a bit of nostalgia for my school days right now.

radcliff

Lyte Edge said:
Beat stage two.

They kinda are. There's nothing bad about them, but it looks like every other 2D Castlevania, and has a bit of a blurry image on top of that. Before anyone jumps on me and says it might be my TV, sorry, but no other Wii/Wii Ware games have this blur, including Contra ReBirth.

Change Wii's settings to 4:3, but your TV settings to 16:9. I did this with Megaman 9 and Contra Rebirth and it gives the games a pixelated look that you will remember from the 16-bit days.

D.Lo

radcliff said:
Change Wii's settings to 4:3, but your TV settings to 16:9. I did this with Megaman 9 and Contra Rebirth and it gives the games a pixelated look that you will remember from the 16-bit days.
Hold crap that does actually get rid of the blur!

Looks like it's the anamorphic scaling that makes it blurry.

Teppic

Looks pretty good, better than I expected.

Not to be able to jump on/off stairs really bugs me though. It's one of these things you always did in the old Castlevania games.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Teppic said:
Looks pretty good, better than I expected.

Not to be able to jump on/off stairs really bugs me though. It's one of these things you always did in the old Castlevania games.

But they didn't introduce that until Castlevania IV...

dkeane

So why isn't this out in the US yet? Does Nintendo realize that Halloween is this Saturday? I'd love to be playing it over the weekend.

Otherwise it's looking really nice. Need something to supplement my yearly need for a 2d castlevania.

Retro

Watched the first level a little, just to see how it looks in motion.

I think I came a little. For somebody who grew up loving the Castlevania series and has seen it turn away from its roots, seeing a whip-cracking Belmont chart a linear path through the Demon Castle again almost brings a tear to my eye. I've missed that classic gameplay feel, and by God this looks like it'll deliver.

It's funny. All the things the video author mentions you can't do (jump on stairs, walk backwards, crouch walk) are things you could do from SCIV. Also, the music quality sounds like a straight rip form the Genesis. Farts galore!

It's definitely not a remake of any of the Game Boy games. It's more of a collection of elements from different CVs, and for the first time they've brought in unique bits from the Game Boy games. It's strange to see the new sprite artists' interpretations of the eyeballs, the molethings (now flightless birds), the Punaguchi, etc. I can see branching paths from Dracula X and the 3D transition door from SotN. Neat stuff. And the punchy FM versions of the classic tunes sound great. I just wish they used more tracks from the second GB game.

The game does look too easy. Enemies take too few hits. I'll be playing this on a harder difficulty if there's one available.

90s arcade FM synth shits all over SNES music from a great height.

thefro

duckroll said:
So we're looking at about 6 stages, with alternate paths for at least some of the stages if not all? Sounds like the most content in any ReBirth game yet. I don't see why anyone should even complain. :)

Yeah, I just read a comment from the person uploading the videos that it's
stages long, which is pretty decent. Plus there's the harder difficulty mode.

Davey Cakes

stages and a harder difficulty mode isn't bad.

I knew we weren't going to get something of Dracula's Curse's length or anything.

Honestly, the original Castlevania was only
stages long. Hell, Belmont's Revenge was only
stages as well if you don't include the final encounter with Drac.

evilromero said:
Also, the music quality sounds like a straight rip form the Genesis. Farts galore!
When was the last time you listened to a Genesis game? Genesis Castlevania music sounds like this. The remake sounds a lot richer and has a lot more instruments.

FirstInHell said:
What are the chances of this coming out on PSN or XBLA?

I probably wouldn't hold out hope for it but you never know.

I wonder does this ReBirth fit anywhere in the storyline at all. Because I think Contra ReBirth may be canon but I'm not sure about that though.

Sonia, we still miss you in canon. IGA could've made that shit work.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
ReXXXSoprano said:
I wonder does this ReBirth fit anywhere in the storyline at all. Because I think Contra ReBirth may be canon but I'm not sure about that though.

Since it's a remake of Castlevania Adventure, it fits there, sorta like how Castlevania, Super Castlevania IV, the X68000 game, and Haunted Castle are all the same "story". Given IGA's almost OCD-like tendency to make sure things fit in the timeline, it makes me think that that was the only reason it was even associated with the GB game to begin with.

discoalucard said:
Since it's a remake of Castlevania Adventure, it fits there, sorta like how Castlevania, Super Castlevania IV, the X68000 game, and Haunted Castle are all the same "story". Given IGA's almost OCD-like tendency to make sure things fit in the timeline, it makes me think that that was the only reason it was even associated with the GB game to begin with.

That makes sense. But Contra was kinda weird in that aspect because they alluded to a lot of stuff. That game could be a prequel to Contra 1 or happen right after Neo Contra because of Jubei.

But seeing as ReBirth isn't even technically a remake and more like a sequel maybe Christopher had one more adventure in him.

Ranger X

Damn, the game is really nice and it quite a mandatory buy for a Castlevania fan but there's ONE thing I don't understand about those kind of retro games like this and Megaman 9.

When you make a retro game it's for nostalgia. But why do you bring back the BAD nostalgia? Why bring back the shit jump? No whiping in 8 directions? Why giving old clumsy controls when you could have re-live through only the GOOD nostalgia.

Shit, even when I was a kid I was making the difference between a shit jump and good jump. Between bad controls and good controls. Even as a kid I wanted Symphony of the night controls. Castlevania was so nice in all other aspects that you actually loved the games and played them to death but THERE WAS stuff you wish was better. For me it was the controls.

Anyhow, you get my point. Why bring back the BAD nostalgia? Why not at least give an option "old jump on/off"? Why no difficulty levels in Megaman 9? Old Megaman weren't all that hard to begin with and anyways, the difficulty in some parts was their downside and not what "made Megaman".

Looks like it's very rare someone knows how to make a retro game. Nintendo when they made NSMB they didn't revert back at SMB1 shit controls and simpler gameplay even if that game can also be seen as retro and a "rebirth" of old Mario games.

Top Bottom