• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

Teknoman

Man this game is awesome. And yes it runs in 480p.

Love the fact that there are so many alternate paths you can find. If you are a Castlevania fan of any type in the least bit, buy this game.

EDIT: Is the boss from stage 2
Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde
?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmm, so they dropped many of the tunes from the original Castlevania Adventure? I remember some of those songs being quite awesome and instant classics, despite the dated, 8-bit nature of the chiptunes (when compared to other, more modern CV games of the era).

Also, I noticed that it was already asked, but I didn't see a response. Is the free update to Gradius Rebirth up in non-JP territories yet?

Foffy

Banned
KittenMaster said:
Switches to NES style jumping where you can't switch directions mid-air.

It also makes the Flame Orb power to dissipate after being hit once.

Some subweapons are removed, too.

Teknoman said:
Man this game is awesome. And yes it runs in 480p.

Love the fact that there are so many alternate paths you can find. If you are a Castlevania fan of any type in the least bit, buy this game.

EDIT: Is the boss from stage 2
Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde
?

Sold! Thanks, man! :D

Enk

makes good threads.
Game is awesome and gets pretty challenging in the second half too. I do have some qualms (lame boss designs, samey looking levels, overuse of rotating platforms), but I think it'll be fun ride for anyone into oldschool Castlevanias.

Holy shit, this looks great! Everyone buy this so we'll get more oldschool castlevania action instead of the boring shit iga churns out.
Also NEW SPRITES!

Aru said:
They could. But since it would benefit to less than 1% of the Wii users, I doubt they do it.
Agreed. Most friends, family, ect that have Wiis maybe only have one downloaded game be it from Wiiware or Virtual console. And that is probably only about 2 people out of about the 10-15 people I know with Wii's.

Nuclear Muffin said:
IGA worked on Rebirth as producer...
Producer shmoducer, he wasn't involved in any of the creative process from what I can tell. It looks like it's from the contra rebirth team. If Iga was involved deeper than just producer credits we'd have some metrosexual bishonen hero, recycled sprites from 1994, terrible animu artwork and poorly imitated SotN gameplay mechanics with the gimmick of the day thrown in (eg magic, transformation or character switching)

Davey Cakes

Anony said:
no save between levels?
gotta be fucken kidding me
As I mentioned in the December VC thread, the "classic" player style is much preferred. It just feels "right" in my opinion, where something feels unnatural about the other play style.

Loving this game so far! The animation is really nice and the music rocks (love that they used the stage one from bloodlines theme). I am curious to hear some of these supposedly awesome tunes from the original GB version. Anyway, I've only played through the first level, and am really surprised that there is no save/password of any sort. Oh well. Can't wait to dig deeper. Judging from what I've played, I will say that every Castlevania/retro gamer should buy this game!

P.S. Flame whip is the shit!

Dr. Muganda said:
Producer shmoducer, he wasn't involved in any of the creative process from what I can tell. It looks like it's from the contra rebirth team. If Iga was involved deeper than just producer credits we'd have some metrosexual bishonen hero, recycled sprites from 1994, terrible animu artwork and poorly imitated SotN gameplay mechanics with the gimmick of the day thrown in (eg magic, transformation or character switching)

Poorly imitated? I'd say improved a bit.

Mejilan said:
Hmm, so they dropped many of the tunes from the original Castlevania Adventure? I remember some of those songs being quite awesome and instant classics, despite the dated, 8-bit nature of the chiptunes (when compared to other, more modern CV games of the era).

The "grab bag" approach they took with the soundtrack makes me wonder. I was hoping for more straightforward remakes of the first two GB games (so we would get the full soundtracks remade along with the games), but I guess we could get more remade tracks in hypothetical future CV Rebirth titles.

At least this remake will (ideally) get more people interested in the soundtracks from the original games. Belmont's Revenge has one of the best soundtracks nobody has heard.

thefro

Finally used the keys properly to get on a path that takes you to an extra mid-boss in Level 2 last night. Kinda cheated and bumped my lives up to 9 to get through Level 3 (although I've got the tricky section down well enough that I probably didn't need to do that).

I'm very impressed with how many secrets and alternate paths there are though the levels.

Narag

The Main Event said:
The anti-aliasing kicks in when you mess up with the Screen Scale, putting on that vaseline/blurry look. Either leave it that way or force your TV in 16:9 (as mentioned above) while keeping your Wii in 4:3.

The game looks so awesome once the vaseline is off. Can't believe it.

Oneself

I don't own a Wii and I don't want to buy one but this game (along with Contra, the VC, Klonoa & Mario Galaxy etc) makes it hard for me to resist.

Come on Wii HD, be true. :lol

Wizpig

The Main Event said:
The anti-aliasing kicks in when you mess up with the Screen Scale, putting on that vaseline/blurry look. Either leave it that way or force your TV in 16:9 (as mentioned above) while keeping your Wii in 4:3.
I don't get this.
The game is 4:3-only just like MegaMan 9, right?

What I did for MegaMan 9, on my HD Ready LCD TV, was putting both the Wii and the TV in 4:3... so that the image is better than in Widescreen.
Also, the game didn't have an HD filter like the 360 version, so it was already a little better.

I don't understand how can you play with a wrong ratio or how does it make it better (Wii in 4:3 but TV in 16:9) :(

I can count this game as my first great experience of 2010. I had the Japanese version for a minute and I tried to play it and got sleepy and frustrated at Stage 5 and gave it up at the time. I sat down with the US version determined to beat it and I did just that. Finishing Drac off gave me that feeling of accomplishment that I haven't felt lately because this was something that I earned the old school way of dying until you get it right. I hope Konami is going to keep the ReBirth series going and with the hopes of them coming back around to this and Contra is something worth waiting for.

Davey Cakes

When people talk to me about how hard Castlevania III is, especially when they say it's "too hard," I laugh in their face.

But holy crap at Level 5 in the CVA Rebirth. Such a pain in the ass. Way too many bone-throwing skeletons and medusa heads. Not to mention that you have to fight Death at the end. And, am I the only one who thinks the level is a bit too long for its own good?

I mean, this game is a lot of fun and a nice experience for a Castlevania fan like myself, but I haven't been this frustrated with a game in a while. It's like, the first four levels are fine, but then bam, it's as if I hit a brick wall of pure pain. And I'm only playing on Normal!

Ranger X

Rash said:
When people talk to me about how hard Castlevania III is, especially when they say it's "too hard," I laugh in their face.

But holy crap at Level 5 in the CVA Rebirth. Such a pain in the ass. Way too many bone-throwing skeletons and medusa heads. Not to mention that you have to fight Death at the end. And, am I the only one who thinks the level is a bit too long for its own good?

I mean, this game is a lot of fun and a nice experience for a Castlevania fan like myself, but I haven't been this frustrated with a game in a while. It's like, the first four levels are fine, but then bam, it's as if I hit a brick wall of pure pain. And I'm only playing on Normal!

:(

I find Castlevania 3 too hard. I'm gonna get spanked here. :(

I'm up to the level 4 boss which I almost had beat and then the time ran out. Son of a bitch. This CV has fantastic gameplay and level design. It's difficult but it's also easy to find working strategies which makes it all the better.

Mar

Just watched a youtube video. Surprised at the games style. It looks and sounds like it's running on a Megadrive. Not a bad thing of course, I love the Megadrive sound chip and I love the old classic style (not anime crap that Castlevania has turned into in the last decade or so).

If it had 8 way firing like in Castlevania 4 I'd buy a Wii for this (it helps there are a few other games I want on the Wii right now). But it doesn't. So I feel comfortable waiting for something else to push me over the edge.

Davey Cakes

The game's not really worth buying a Wii for. It's a nice little game, but it's more of a "bonus" than anything else. A ten-dollar way to relive classic Castlevania.

I'm honestly surprised that you haven't been pushed over the edge by the extensive amount of other games on the system, whether they be retail, VC, or WiiWare (like CV Rebirth).

Mar

Rash said:
The game's not really worth buying a Wii for. It's a nice little game, but it's more of a "bonus" than anything else. A ten-dollar way to relive classic Castlevania.

I'm honestly surprised that you haven't been pushed over the edge by the extensive amount of other games on the system, whether they be retail, VC, or WiiWare (like CV Rebirth).

I had a Wii since launch and sold it to my sister around 8 months ago. I haven't really missed it until recently. There have been some good games released. However the big one that's got me thinking about buying again is the new Silent Hill game.

But honestly, if a new Castlevania came out with 8 way firing I would buy whatever system it was on. Castlevania 4 is one of my favourite games of all time.

Davey Cakes

I enjoy 8-way firing as well. One of my favorite parts of SCV4, on top of the great control scheme in general. I love the jumping in that game.

IrishNinja

cartman414 said:
8-way whipping neutered most of the challenge. Very few of the enemies were designed to be a threat against it.

true, but those of us firmly in the "CV III was soooo hard" camp found that shit a lifesaver against stoopid @#$% medusa-heads. ;_;

IrishNinja said:
nah, guess i could track down a ROM...i heard the difficulty was "adjusted", but i dont know to what extent.

It also had a special music chip that made (most of) the music sound better. And nude statues! :D

Chairhome

The Main Event said:
So if you put your screen scale x to 115 (when the wii is in 16:9), will the anti-aliasing kick it? I'm a little confused. Also, are you guys saying that you can force anti-aliasing on MM9 as well?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Whoa. There's a secret level select option. From Go Nintendo:

Tired of not being able to save your progress in Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth? Reader Marl0 has a little tip for you guys that should make things much easier...

LEVEL SELECT: All you have to do, is hold right on the d-pad for a few seconds while you're highlighting "Start Game". It's that simple!
I haven't tried it out yet but if it works it's almost as good as having a save game option.

Chairhome

Level select works! And I tried that Wii in 4:3/TV in 16:9 and it works! Crazy! But the screen scale doesn't have the same effect, I think...

loosus

Banned
Is there any reason they decided to mostly not go with crisp sprites? The fonts, for example, look like a total throwback to the olden days (and look badass), but the sprites...they kinda look like old sprites with some kinda smudge applied. I don't like it.

And while I am actually enjoying the game overall, the game moves kinda weird to me. I think it's because the sprites are moving on a true 640x480 plane, even though they give the impression that it should be more like a 320x240 plane, since they are pixelated about that much. So, while the sprites look low-resolution, they move on a high-resolution plane.

Mar_ said:
Just watched a youtube video. Surprised at the games style. It looks and sounds like it's running on a Megadrive. Not a bad thing of course, I love the Megadrive sound chip and I love the old classic style (not anime crap that Castlevania has turned into in the last decade or so).
I think you need to play Castlevania Bloodlines again (or any Genesis game) and then rewatch the video. CV Rebirth has all sorts of graphical touches that weren't possible in a MD/Genesis game (transparency effects, a lot more colors, sprite rotation, etc.), and while the music in the game resembles the vibe of the Yamaha sound chip used in the Genesis (and a metric ton of arcade boards), it has a lot more voices and effects. If anything, the game seems to resemble what was possible on 16 bit arcade hardware in the early 90s.

Dragmire

I finally beat this game last night. It was a fun ride and a great throwback to the old games. I wouldn't mind more classics revived in this fashion. Though I probably would have prefered a soundtrack that sounded more like the SNES's sound chip.

And I like the look of the sprites and their movement. It's retro but with a bit of modern polish. I don't personally find it jarring, but I can see how someone would.

ReyVGM

People think this game resembles the Genesis Castlevania, but it actually resembles the Sharp X68000 Castlevania. Re-released on the PS1 as Castlevania Chronicles.

The Sharp X68 also had the same type of sound chip as the Genesis, that's why they sound so alike.

Davey Cakes

That level select option is a godsend. I just decided to boot up the game, go straight to level 5, and then make my way through it. And no, I didn't change the difficulty. I stuck with Normal. Death wasn't that tough once I developed a strategy for him.

It's nice not to have to play through the entire game every time I want to make progress. I mean, I know this is all about bringing back games in classic/arcade fashion, and I'm a huge fan of the oldschool, but c'mon, the original Castlevania is the only major title in the series not to have a save system of some sort.

As for level 6, it was easy, but I did die a lot because of stupid mistakes on Drac's last form.

I enjoyed this Rebirth. It was a nice trip down memory lane, and had some pretty sweet level designs. I guess you could say that it fulfilled my basic desire for a new classic-style Castlevania game, though something on the inside still makes me want a true spiritual successor to Castlevania 3. Nothing yet, in terms of classic CV, has re-created that awesome feeling of progression from level to level that we saw in CV3, not even Rondo of Blood. They call the WiiWare and GB games "The Castlevania Adventure" but CV3 felt far more like an "adventure" than those games, and it didn't need the more open-world designs of, say, CV2 or the Metroidvanias to be that way.

heringer

The level select thing just pushed me over the edge. I will buy this bad boy today.

If I like it I might buy Dracula X Chronicles for PSP. I love the metroidvania games, but Rebirth will be my first "classic" Castlevania.

Also, it's funny how Rondo of Blood looks way better than the remake, imo. Ugly 2.5D is ugly.

Top Bottom