• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalonia to split from Spain within 48 hours of secession vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

This whole turn of events has been frankly terrifying. The EU and UN silence is really off-putting. Considering they respect the right to self determination they should do something to prevent violence from happening. It's simply people trying to vote. But I guess they are deeply scared that if another vote like this pass that the Europe will be in trouble. So let's beat people up and scare them so they don't vote right.

Im sorry to be the one to tell you, but you have been brainwashed by the catalan goverment, just like many newspapers and social media around the world, and their aggressive and false propaganda

Cant blame you, but pls realize that the bullshit and nonsensical narrative youre spitting isnt remotely truth

Dude, we had 40 years of a dictatorship with a strong repression on Catalonia language and culture. You could be arrested for speaking Catalan.

Unionism in this country has been one of their trademarks since centuries...

The fuck you are talking about?

giphy.gif

Well if I wanted to push the fact that this is a charade I could have put this image again

DLD7EvRXcAAZdsH.jpg

Or this
DLD0EcPWkAYh93q.jpg

DLD0FX1W4AA2387.jpg

Or...
DLEMp9EXkAAT3Xb.jpg

DLEMrJ0WkAEQ7nv.jpg

I think you get my point

Tregard

Soothsayer
Yup. Virtually every country in Europe has secessionist movements. Venice in Italy, Cornwall and northern Ireland in UK. Bretons in France, Bavaria in Germany etc..

Truth is no one country in Europe is made of just one ethnicity.

As someone from Northern Ireland who considers it part of the UK, the idea of a paramilitary force attempting to stop a referendum vote in my country is horrifying. Regardless of the referendums "legitimacy"

Machina

Banned
Dude, we had 40 years of a dictatorship with a strong repression on Catalonia language and culture. You could be arrested for speaking Catalan.

Unionism in this country has been one of their trademarks since centuries...

The fuck you are talking about

It's like Holocaust denial, the brand is tainted so gotta downplay it until a new one comes along

Business

Saw the video of her injured hand earlier where she said they broke her fingers, one by one, intentionally. I'm glad somebody could actually film how it happened. Fucking animals.

Man, everyone from every side involved did everything wrong. What a goddamn mess.

Yeah sure, both sides eh?

turmoil

Banned
What do people think will happen after today? Do you think rajoy will trigger a155 (dissolution of the autonomic govt)?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well if I wanted to push the fact that this is a charade I could have put this image again

DLD7EvRXcAAZdsH.jpg

Or this
DLD0EcPWkAYh93q.jpg

DLD0FX1W4AA2387.jpg

Or...
DLEMp9EXkAAT3Xb.jpg

DLEMrJ0WkAEQ7nv.jpg

I think you get my point

Your point being that the referendum has been stopped by the police, so any of those images are entirely irrelevant.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Surely the Madrid government can see this approach is only gonna further exacerbate the nationalist sent—yeah they are not thinking that far are they

There are pictures and videos of cops kicking and dragging people around and this is what you care about. Disgusting.

"There are cops kicking people and you are only worried about the guarantees of a referendum that's supposed to affect millions more"

hqdefault.jpg

Which by the way is false I have the extraordinary ability to be worried about both things and find both things disgusting stop victimism when you dont have arguments

At first I sided with the police/spanish govt because I have family and friends who either serve or have served in these forces. I just didn't, couldn't believe that people who serve would be capable of this even if given the order. But after speaking to many friends who went to vote here in Barcelona, I can no longer support the current Spanish government.

I heard many, many first hand accounts from people I've known for long who have seen unprovoked violence in front of them and some who have suffered it themselves. I insist, unprovoked violence. In case any of you had doubts even after seeing the pics and videos... Yeah, it's real.

I'm sorry but this is fucking horrifying and shameful. It has no place in a democratic, western first world nation. I expect some sort of international sanction. If the EU does nothing in response that'll be fucking shameful as well. Those of you who think this event has made thousands of fence-sitters lean in favor of independence, you're right.

pswii60

At first I sided with the police/spanish govt because I have family and friends who either serve or have served in these forces. I just didn't, couldn't believe that people who serve would be capable of this even if given the order. But after speaking to many friends who went to vote here in Barcelona, I can no longer support the current Spanish government.

I heard many, many first hand accounts from people I've known for long who have seen unprovoked violence in front of them and some who have suffered it themselves. I insist, unprovoked violence. In case any of you had doubts even after seeing the pics and videos... Yeah, it's real.

I'm sorry but this is fucking horrifying and shameful. It has no place in a democratic, western first world nation. I expect some sort of international sanction. If the EU does nothing in response that'll be fucking shameful as well. Those of you who think this event has made thousands of fence-sitters lean in favor of independence, you're right.
Oh, on the videos I've watched it's all been completely unprovoked. Actually very distressing to watch such behaviour by police in Europe :(

"There are cops kicking people and you are only worried about the guarantees of a referendum that's supposed to affect millions more"

hqdefault.jpg

Which by the way is false I have the extraordinary ability to be worried about both things and find both things disgusting stop victimism when you dont have arguments

Everyone knows the referendum is useless. It doesn't matter if people vote twice or whatever because it wasn't valid in the first place and the result barely matters. You've been posting about the validity of the referendum all thread long so yeah, I think you don't care much about the government-approved police violence against the citizens of Catalonia.

Also I'm not "victimism" as I'm not even Catalonian, lmao.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

I think you get my point
I would have gone with the images of police hitting other police, firemen, old people, women, breaking fingers, hitting the injured, and then adding the label “Democracia”. I think that would have captured it better.

Ac30

Surely the Madrid government can see this approach is only gonna further exacerbate the nationalist sent—yeah they are not thinking that far are they

If we had an independence vote for Flanders and Brussels cracked down like this I'd vote for independence and I don't even want an independent Flanders.

What do people think will happen after today? Do you think rajoy will trigger a155 (dissolution of the autonomic govt)?

If they didn't do that before they won't do it right now, now if there is an independence declaration then it is likely that the a155 will be triggered.

Now the question is, are the catalonians angry enough to try open rebellion against the state? The only other way for independence would be convincing PSOE to try to change the constitution to make it legal. In the past that would had been impossible but right now it might be.

Kiraly

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZtryXjDB1C/

This is Sol right now, Republicans+Basque+Support for Cataluña.
I see Rajoy getting impeached. There's lots of riot police, mainly containing a small group of fascists on the other side. All is peaceful for now.

Saw tens of people with Spanish flags draped across their back walk towards Sol five minutes ago on my walk home, it could turn ugly. This referendum is an awful situation all around.

Kinyou

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLD7EvRXcAAZdsH.jpg[IMG]

Or this
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLD0EcPWkAYh93q.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLD0FX1W4AA2387.jpg[IMG]

Or...
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLEMp9EXkAAT3Xb.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLEMrJ0WkAEQ7nv.jpg[IMG]

I think you get my point[/QUOTE]
Considering the circumstances of this referendum it's not too surprising that they're not properly prepared against voter fraud.

Nothing really to add that what is happening is terrible and my heart goes out to the people of Catalonia. The right to self-determination is fundamental.

avaya

If 6 million of people do a voting, all 6 million of people should accept the result.

That's how democracy works.

Same as brexit, same as other many democratic votes around the world.

You're looking at the dumpster fire that is Brexit and thinking, yeah this is a good idea?

Brexit is a prime example of why direct referenda on issues of such constitutional magnitude require supermajorities so the decision and "will of the people" argument is beyond any reasonable doubt.

It's very clear that the majority of Catalan's aren't fucking cretins who would vote to make themselves poorer, otherwise a supermajority would have existed long ago.

Unfortunately Rajoy's dipshit response to all of this is likely to fuel an emotional blowback which will just fuck up Catalonia for a long time.

MUnited83

For you.

hqdefault.jpg

The only fucking reason there is no resources to guarantee legitimacy of the votes is because of Spain's supression to begin with. How dense are you?

There are pictures and videos of cops kicking and dragging people around and this is what you care about. Disgusting.

I would have gone with the images of police hitting other police, firemen, old people, women, breaking fingers, hitting the injured, and then adding the label “Democracia”. I think that would have captured it better.

I can repeat the same message I posted to the other user but I hope you understand that both things can be treated separately and that trying to avoid talking abouth either of them using the other as a smoke courtain is quite stupid.

Unless you can only focus in a single topic, which is kind of sad.

Saw tens of people with Spanish flags draped across their back walk towards Sol five minutes ago on my walk home, it could turn ugly. This referendum is an awful situation all around.
Lol they were making a human train and I heard someone say "They're making the Spanish Human Centipede"

The only fucking reason there is no resources to guarantee legitimacy of the votes is because of Spain's supression to begin with. How dense are you?

You can tell me that when even knowing that it lacks legitimacy the secessionist movement declares unilaterally the independence using the result of the referendum and are subsequently reduced by the Spanish State.

You're basically giving your support to an antiglobalisation nationalistic and xenophobic movement thats going to cause a civil war in my country (and revive a nationalistic Spanish movement that has been dead since Franco)

Im sure you love the Confederation secessionist movement also.

NewDust

It's hard to organize a legitimate vote (legitimate in the sense of getting any substantial representation) when your vote is actively being criminalized. I'd take the results of today with a truckload of salt... The Spanish government probably should have been more open to the vote, not accepting its results, but trying to negotiate with the Catalan government for that bit of more self government. But I realize that also could lead to more "spanish" independence movements.

While some would argue that the vote is about Catalonia having it own culture, it's hard to not see some (a lot) of economic reasoning by the instigators of the vote. Wether or not you agree with those sentiments should have been proven today, but it's hard to see the Spanish government, turning this already volatile vote in a total shitstorm.

To be totally clear, I'm not that well versed in Spanish politics.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I can repeat the same message I posted to the other user but I hope you understand that both things can be treated separately and that trying to avoid talking abouth either of them using the other as a smoke courtain is quite stupid.

Unless you can only focus in a single topic, which is kind of sad.
Its fine mate. By prioritising one aet of images and a narrative over another, in the limited time you get to comment on affairs/suffering, you clearly set out what is more important for you.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's hard to organize a legitimate vote (legitimate in the sense of getting any substantial representation) when your vote is actively being criminalized. I'd take the results of today with a truckload of salt... The Spanish government probably should have been more open to the vote, not accepting its results, but trying to negotiate with the Catalan government for that bit of more self government. But I realize that also could lead to more "spanish" independence movements.

While some would argue that the vote is about Catalonia having it own culture, it's hard to not see some (a lot) of economic reasoning by the instigators of the vote. Wether or not you agree with those sentiments should have been proven today, but it's hard to see the Spanish government, turning this already volatile vote in a total shitstorm.

To be totally clear, I'm not that well versed in Spanish politics.

The US became independent for economic reasons first. That's irrelevant. People have a right to vote. The government can then chose not to recognize the result, negotiate, whatever.

Its fine mate. By prioritising one aet of images and a narrative over another, in the limited time you get to comment on affairs/suffering, you clearly set out what is more important for you.

There are quite a few people posting images of police brutality, and as far as I have seen only me posting pictures of irregularities.

Nekster

You're basically giving your support to an antiglobalisation nationalistic and xenophobic movement thats going to cause a civil war in my country (and revive a nationalistic Spanish movement that has been dead since Franco)

how much more can you lie? I'm pretty amazed by your posts.

Ac30

Merkel's apparently on the phone with Rajoy and Finland's foreign minister has also condemned the violence.

zpiders

Why is the EU so quiet about all this violence? If this was happening in Russia they would be falling over themselves to condemn it. Just goes to show how toxic politics can be regardless of where it is in the world.

NewDust

The US became independent for economic reasons first. That's irrelevant. People have a right to vote. The government can then chose not to recognize the result, negotiate, whatever.

Oh I'm not arguing against that, but I've seen multiple posters argue against the relevance of a more self contained economic stature in regards to this vote claiming it's about culture foremost. I don't think that is fair,but still with the caveat that I'm not following Spanish politics to the tee.

I'd totally agree with you that the Spanish government should have allowed the vote, then see what it should do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom