• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO: Cutting Obamacare payments would increase premiums by 20% next year

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Article link.

CBO report.

Insurance premiums for Obamacare plans would rise 20 percent next year and people in small pockets of the country wouldn't have any insurance options if President Donald Trump scraps a key insurance subsidy, according to a new analysis from the CBO.

Trump has repeatedly threatened to pull the Obamacare subsidy — worth an estimated $7 billion this year — that helps insurers lower out-of-pocket health care costs for low-income customers. Trump must decide by early next week whether to make next month's payment.

The nonpartisan CBO also found eliminating the payments would increase the deficit by $194 billion over a decade because of higher spending on premium subsidies.

Aselith

So Republicans will do it anyway then.

Well, they would be raising insurance premiums by 20% in an election year. Considering this report is now out there, they would get their asses nailed to the wall when it happens.

I think they were very much hoping for down the line consequences rather than instant karma like they will be getting.

old

It's vindictive at this point. He wants people to suffer for daring to not give him what he wants.

GOP will spend every day for the next 14 months shooting themselves in the collective feet and we sill still lose mid-terms.

Gut feeling.

If they do it, then we have to make sure everyone knows who is responsible....

Unfortunately what'll probably happen is that it'll be designated proof that ACA is failing....

Strike

...But I thought Obamacare was driving insurance premiums! Don't let the GOP run away from this or Trump. They claim to be "the party of personal responsibility". They are currently in control on all three branches of government. Make them own that shit. Don't let them control the narrative. Drill that shit home all the way to midterms.

GOP will spend every day for the next 14 months shooting themselves in the collective feet and we sill still lose mid-terms.

Gut feeling.
The only way we lose a majority is if Trump presides over a major terrorist attack and suddenly becomes superhumanly competent (or at least can project this) propelling his approval rating to 90% a la Bush...

OR the extra Democratic vote is too heavily concentrated in districts we already hold and Republicans are saved yet again by gerrymandering.

Guessing it would be the latter, but that wouldn't hurt us in the gubernatorial or Senate contests.

Nydius

With Anthem and Aetna pulling out of Virginia in 2018, I've already lost 2 of the 3 insurers in the marketplace for my area. The third one is a limited regional provider that mostly offers cost-sharing plans. They only offer three non-CSR plans, one plan for each tier. Cut out payments and they'll probably leave the marketplace too. Guess my premiums will drop to 0% if this happens... though I'll probably still be required to pay the uninsured fee to the IRS even if there are no available plans on the marketplace.

Gut feeling.

It's good to be cautious, but I don't think 2018 is going to be a repeat of 2016. White voters are losing their enthusiasm for Trump. Liberals are generally enraged. His approval rating is balls and that's in a good economy and with no major disasters. And this is all after only 7 months and without any real conclusion to the Russia probe.

If Democrats don't make some meaningful gains in mid-terms, then we can probably say that America is well and truly fucked. But given how mid-terms already tend not to favor the president's party, I'd say it's going to go badly for the GOP.

WillyFive

It's good to be cautious, but I don't think 2018 is going to be a repeat of 2016. White voters are losing their enthusiasm for Trump. Liberals are generally enraged. His approval rating is balls and that's in a good economy and with no major disasters. And this is all after only 7 months and without any real conclusion to the Russia probe.

If Democrats don't make some meaningful gains in mid-terms, then we can probably say that America is well and truly fucked. But given how mid-terms already tend not to favor the president's party, I'd say it's going to go badly for the GOP.

When was the last time a mid-term favored anyone except the Republicans? 10 years ago?

When was the last time a mid-term favored anyone except the Republicans? 10 years ago?

Well yes. Because that's the last time they happened with the GOP holding the executive branch.

The party with the executive branch historically always does badly in the mid terms. That held when Dubya was President, and held when Obama was President. No reason to expect it to go out the window with Trump espescially given his awful opinion poll numbers.

Top Bottom