• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to end Obamacare Subsidies

RDreamer

Along with today's EO, this means goodbye Obamacare.

Trump will scrap critical Obamacare subsidy

President Donald Trump plans to cut off critical subsidy payments to insurers selling Obamacare coverage, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The decision to end the payments, worth an estimated $7 billion this year, marks Trump's most aggressive move yet to dismantle Obamacare after months of failed GOP repeal efforts on Capitol Hill. The move is likely to draw lawsuits and may put pressure on Congress to appropriate funding for the subsidies, which help insurers reduce out-of-pocket costs for low-income Obamacare customers.

It'll be Trumpcare from here on out.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: These are the subsidies to insurance companies not subsidies to individuals. What this means is that insurance costs will go up and some insurers might pull out of the system. It doesn't mean your individual subsidy will evaporate tomorrow or something.

Via Sam Stein:

per CBO: Trump ending subsidies increases premiums 20% by 2018 and 25% by 2020. Deficit goes up $6b by 2018 and $21b by 2020

EDIT 2: Official statement

DL_GSFjWsAAEH3S.jpg:large

A death sentence for thousands of Americans.

Even if the politics of it will bite Trump in the ass and it might be fun to think about, don't forget that. People will die who don't derserve this.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
People will lose coverage.

People will die.

And it will be 100% Trump's and the Republican's fault for purposely sabotaging and killing the ACA.

Good luck.

smurfx

get some go again
Yep. Now he owns the ACA and everything that happens when people lose their healthcare coverage.
he destroys it and americans then elect a democrat to fix the mess he made. of course they also keep electing republicans to congress and senate which then fights the democrat every step of the way. democrats fail to fix it and then republicans blame them for everything that happened and americans keep electing them to congress and senate.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
"Hurray! We don't get health insurance!!" People are so fucking stupid. My own family voted against my ability to see a doctor and get treatment. I pay $400 a month for a plan that covers almost nothing and only kicks in after I've spent 6k. Something has to change in this country, and what Trump is doing is NOT the answer.

Dyle

Should be interesting to see how Republicans respond to this. If this ends up going through and leads to crazy premium increases, I could easily see them throwing the blame on him

he destroys it and americans then elect a democrat to fix the mess he made. of course they also keep electing republicans to congress and senate which then fights the democrat every step of the way. democrats fail to fix it and then republicans blame them for everything that happened and americans keep electing them to congress and senate.

It’s funny because it’s true. Actually it’s not funny at all.

I had quotes last year for insurance from the ACA with no subsidizes and it was about $204 a month for a plan that has a $7k deductible and a 80%-20% split after the deductible. I am a healthy 24 years male. So a plan that around a third of my rent with a deductible that I surely hope to never reach even after years of medical care. I also have to pay $204 a month for it. It was the cheapest plan I could get. A decent plan with a $500-1000 is well over $400 a month. Just think about this for a sec. The ACA will die if it's not going to be rescued that's for sure.

smurfx

get some go again
This puts the Republican congress in a very interesting, no-win situation, right?
if it really only kicks in until 2019 then democrats get to go scorched earth for the 2018 election and tell everybody they are trying to destroy their healthcare. let's see if people actually vote for their self interests when it matters.

Wilsongt

And Republican voters won't get a flying fuck because they are so deep on Trump's cock to realize they no longer will be able to afford all of that medication the government has been paying for.

Opto

Banned

oh hey, it's why I drink.

But only a little bit because I can't afford the negative effects of alcohol

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I know the cycle, but either people will finally learn and purge the government of Republicans or the system is doomed to fail. It's basically mechanical resonance. Like, what happened to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. It's unsustainable.

chaos789

Banned
Without these subsidies I will lose my health insurance. Is he canceling them for this coming period that starts Nov. 1st? Because if so, I am fucked. I have a chronic illness and without my health insurance I have no idea what I am going to do. Fuck this asshole.

Guys this is good.

Let him own this. The Democrats will have a huge leverage on the Republicans now. 2018 is a lock. We can fix this with single payer, slowly but surely it’s coming.

I hope the Democratic party gets their messaging on point with this. Stick this on the Republicans and the President. Every day stick it on them. Point it out and let the people know who, what, where when, why and how.

Messaging needs to be on point and every person in the party needs to nail it home.

Brinbe

All polling suggests otherwise

People need to stop thinking like this
LOL polling. You know it's true.
Dems are (usually) ok at governing but they're awful at messaging and the American electorate will eat up whatever the GOP shits out. Trump is President if you haven't noticed.

Top Bottom