• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump favors ending payment of Obamacare subsidies - will kill the markets

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/19/donald-trump-end-payments-obamacare-subsidies-238616

President Donald Trump has told advisers he wants to end payments of key Obamacare subsidies, a move that could send the health law's insurance markets into a tailspin, according to several sources familiar with the conversations.

Many advisers oppose the move because they worry it will backfire politically if people lose their insurance or see huge premium spikes and blame the White House, the sources said. Trump has said that the bold move could force Congressional Democrats to the table to negotiate an Obamacare replacement.

He basically wants to kill Obamacare assuming then Dems will negotiate.

Russia and all is there, but this move would take away Healthcare from lots of people.

Sean C

"My plan is to take a massively unpopular action, harm millions of people's bank accounts, and then try to force the Democrats to provide ex post facto political cover for this action."

Pure genius.

Kevinroc

He really thinks if he does this that the American people will blame the Democrats/Barack Obama. (Because let's be honest, this is all about undermining Obama's legacy.)

Many advisers oppose the move because they worry it will backfire politically if people lose their insurance or see huge premium spikes and blame the White House, the sources said. Trump has said that the bold move could force Congressional Democrats to the table to negotiate an Obamacare replacement.

Boy, it shouldn't be so amazing at this point that this guy just doesn't get how things work, but yet I still am amazed. Dems are not going to come to the table to negotiate with him on killing their own bill lol. What a fucking idiot.

Fox318

I was able to afford heathcare with these subsidies.

When I try explaining that to people I know they either go on about emails or that "he's just getting rid of the bad parts of Obamacare".

Wouldn't that still require passing a bill to defund the ACA?

Because if so, then the easy counter is to say that Trump's budget caused millions to lose health insurance.

Chumly

Well he is correct in the fact that it will kill Obamacare..... they are an important stabilization feature

Oh, so now Trump wants to actively kill Obamacare after seeing Obamacare is healthy enough to sustain itself. (ACA is even keeping itself healthy, as well as millions of Americans)

So much for "just let it die on it's own."

Chumly

With the added side effect of completely damaging the Republican party, which in turn completely damages Trump.
Multiple insurers have said they will pull out without the subsidies. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. It's going to hurt a lot of people unfortunately. Some entire states might be left for nobody wanting to sell insurance.

C.Mongler

So because he can't try to kill many of us through legislation he will instead choose to try to kill most of us through being a bitch.

Okay then.

I don't see how he can do this without getting sued by States and Insurance companies, and losing bad.

But who are we kidding, he's not gonna be president long enough to actually do this.

Linkark07

Banned
The President is threatening the lives of his own people to get them to fall in line.

That's... something.

You only see that kind of shit in a Banana Republic.

Trump is his own worst enemy. Sadly, people will get affected negatively because of his stupidity and pettiness.

Kevinroc

Multiple insurers have said they will pull out without the subsidies. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. It's going to hurt a lot of people unfortunately. Some entire states might be left for nobody wanting to sell insurance.

People will unfortunately be hurt by this. I am not discounting that reality at all.

There have already been polls that say people will blame the Republicans for anything that goes wrong with Obamacare. Trump seems to think people will blame the Democrats/Obama, which is why he seems to think his position is one of strength.

Kysen

It sucks but at the end of the day the government is just paying off insurance companies to keep them at the table(providing services). Its not really a good system at all.

Those insurance companies have your government by the balls.

Chumly

I don't see how he can do this without getting sued by States and Insurance companies, and losing bad.

But who are we kidding, he's not gonna be president long enough to actually do this.
The problem is that it's actually tied up in court right now. Republicans sued obama to prevent him from paying the subsidies. I believe multiple courts sided with obama until one district court ruled in their favor. It's now tied up in appeals and the administration can continue paying it. BUT trump can drop paying the subsidies until its resolved in court if they want. Even if the states and insurers win the damage will already be done

The problem is that it's actually tied up in court right now. Republicans sued obama to prevent him from paying the subsidies. I believe multiple courts sided with obama until one district court ruled in their favor. It's now tied up in appeals and the administration can continue paying it. BUT trump can drop paying the subsidies until its resolved in court if they want. Even if the states and insurers win the damage will already be done

I don't see how they can't get an injunction from that, considering the effect.

That's one way to lower premiums.

It will actually raise premiums, but when you can't afford insurance your premiums are $0

Lo-Volt

Do it, big man, and let's destroy your regime in the polls followed by this disgusting insurance system in the next session.

Top Bottom