• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to end Obamacare Subsidies

White House confirms in the most Trump way possible.

DL_GSFjWsAAEH3S.jpg:large

"Law and order every time, that's us."

This messaging is so terrible.

"Yeah, we're going to increase your premiums, but really, we did it because of the law."

No one gives a shit when they have to pay 20% more.

ALSO THAT DECISION THEY REFERENCED WAS STAYED

Interesting, is the deficit increase caused by the increased premiums and thus increased subsidies to consumers?

My guess is that throwing people off their insurance will prevent them from getting early treatment for problems leading to them having emergency room visits the government has to cover for months and years later.

Kevinroc

kaskade

Lol and it’s going to make the deficit go up. This is infuriating since I have to buy my own insurance next year. Does he really think people are going to believe that he didn’t cause this to happen?

newjeruse

The worst part is that he knows he can tweet about fake news or some pop culture event and the spotlight will be completely shifted away from this heinous decision.

Ponn

Banned
This is what I was afraid of from the very beginning of this shit. They were going to tear down ACA one way or another. Repealing it and replacing it publicly and very openly while patting each other on the backs made sure they owned their shit with no wiggle room. Doing it like this, piecemeal, quietly and by a thousand cuts allows them to continue blaming Obama and the Dems for the fallout.

Thoraxes

Wouldn't this cause the insurance companies to come for his head. He's directly screwing with their money now. I can fully believe he's this stupid and evil.
They aren't really affected by this. They just charge the people that use their insurance more money since they're getting paid less to give you better rates.

numble

My guess is that throwing people off their insurance will prevent them from getting early treatment for problems leading to them having emergency room visits the government has to cover for months and years later.

There is no need to guess. The CBO report is there to read. The rationale is that because premiums go up, more people would qualify for the federal subsidies that are in the law itself, so ending these subsidies means the government can increase premiums while also increasing subsidy payments to individuals.

Ithil

This is what I was afraid of from the very beginning of this shit. They were going to tear down ACA one way or another. Repealing it and replacing it publicly and very openly while patting each other on the backs made sure they owned their shit with no wiggle room. Doing it like this, piecemeal, quietly and by a thousand cuts allows them to continue blaming Obama and the Dems for the fallout.

How does it?

He has to personally sign an EO to make this happen, one he will be sued out the ass over.
More than ever, this will be on him.

Omadahl

Banned
If this takes effect, I won't bat an eye at the increased threats of violence against the president or anyone of those assholes who voted to take away healthcare for millions. Play deadly games, win deadly prizes.

If it was this easy why didn't he do it day one?

It isn't this easy. What the GOP wanted was to replace, well actually they don't WTF they wanted other than "NOBAMA", but this certainly wasn't it because its going to get challenged in court and further cement the law which will make it impossible for them to come after it later for political gain. There might be a silver lining yet kids.

Ponn

Banned
How does it?

He has to personally sign an EO to make this happen, one he will be sued out the ass over.
More than ever, this will be on him.

Who’s going to explain it to the masses that think ACA and Obamacare are two different things? They sure aren’t listening to Dems and liberals. And MSM is fake news remember. I’m sure Fox News, Infowars and Brietbart will set them straight on why OBAMACARE is in trouble and what the real cause is.

Tahnit

Banned
when does this take effect? Can congress challenge this? This is executive overreach. We need our checks and balances NOW!

sangreal

Unfortunately you won’t have companies telling their employees to blame all their costs on Trump like they did for Obama

when does this take effect? Can congress challenge this? This is executive overreach. We need our checks and balances NOW!

Um Congress sued Obama for making these payments (and won because of the judicial activism at the end of the Obama term). The title is confusing because these are cost sharing subsidies not the direct subsidies to individuals

chaos789

Banned
I keep imaging how different things would be if the Republican president was John Kasich. I assume Ohio will be joining the suit, amongst many other states.

norinrad

He probably thinks the subsidies are for black people and minorities and doesn't care cutting it off. He will find out soon enough who actually benefits from said subsidies.

daveo42

Banned
We need to start calling this Trumpcare now. Trump needs to own this. The GOP need to own this. This isn't Obamacare anymore and he cannot be allowed to use it as a scapegoat.

Slime

Banned
He just sentenced thousands of people to death, and Republicans will probably still control the Senate in 2018.

Fucking joke of a country.

le.phat

I feel horrible for every person suffering because of Trump and his band of spineless, greedy rat fuck Republicans, but we can't help you. YOU hAve to mobilize and stop the madness. Nobody will swoop in to save the day. Fucking rise up, US!

I generally agree with your jaundiced view of the voting public, but the polling indicates that much of the public understands who is trying to fuck them. But whether that translates to electoral victories is yet to be determined.

imrs.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ble-to-avoid-blame-for-kneecapping-obamacare/

Drakeon

not fooling anyone?

I have the expectation that democrats and obamacare will largely take the blame for this. There's no room for nuance when it comes to explaining stuff like this and democrats are terrible at messaging.
What's to message? People automatically blame the party in power for stuff like this, Trump will get the blame.

Jobbs

Banned
What's to message? People automatically blame the party in power for stuff like this, Trump will get the blame.

Republicans have been saying Obamacare is a terrible failure headed to disaster for years. Now they can say "see? it did". The nuance of the disaster happening because of something Trump did will be lost on people.

If democrats were really good at messaging they may be able to shape the debate around this and be successful (like by calling it Trumpcare from now on, in unison, until everyone knows "trumpcare") but I don't think they will.

Dehnus

Along with today’s EO, this means goodbye Obamacare.

Trump will scrap critical Obamacare subsidy

It’ll be Trumpcare from here on out.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: These are the subsidies to insurance companies not subsidies to individuals. What this means is that insurance costs will go up and some insurers might pull out of the system. It doesn't mean your individual subsidy will evaporate tomorrow or something.

Via Sam Stein:

EDIT 2: Official statement

DL_GSFjWsAAEH3S.jpg:large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJrjV4PNXA
The theme song of the Republican party I guess.

“Health Insurance stocks, which have gone through the roof during the ObamaCare years, plunged yesterday after I ended their Dems windfall!” Trump tweeted.

“Very proud of my Executive Order which will allow greatly expanded access and far lower costs for HealthCare,” Trump tweeted. “Millions of people benefit!”

Top Bottom