• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to end Obamacare Subsidies

RDreamer

Without these subsidies I will lose my health insurance. Is he canceling them for this coming period that starts Nov. 1st? Because if so, I am fucked. I have a chronic illness and without my health insurance I have no idea what I am going to do. Fuck this asshole.

He’s cutting subsidies to the insurers, not subsidies directly to people like you. That means insurers will sue him and pull out. It won’t happen instantly though.

Piano

Banned
Guys this is good.

Let him own this. The Democrats will have a huge leverage on the Republicans now. 2018 is a lock.

This is not good. The health of other human beings is bigger than politics. I don't think it's worth having sick folks thrown off their healthcare for lack of subsidies just so my "team" can score a "win." Is that a potential upside? Sure, maybe, but that's not what matters here.

Guys this is good.

Let him own this. The Democrats will have a huge leverage on the Republicans now. 2018 is a lock.

They can make some serious gains in the House, but there aren't enough Senate seats open in 2018 to override a Presidential veto.

A lot of people are going to be hurt and possibly killed by this. This is not good.

Guys this is good.

Let him own this. The Democrats will have a huge leverage on the Republicans now. 2018 is a lock. We can fix this with single payer, slowly but surely it’s coming.
People will fucking die. As much as I would love to think this would help ensure a lock, who even fucking knows anymore.

A lot of Left-leaning liberals who didn't vote probably didn't care about these people.

Trump is scum.

Even if you are not aware of it, this claim is part of 'controlling the message' as far as the alt-right playbook goes, because those same liberals did show up and did won the popular vote by a staggering 2.5 million votes.

Don't blame people doing the right thing for the system doing them wrong.

Bowler

I had quotes last year for insurance from the ACA with no subsidizes and it was about $204 a month for a plan that has a $7k deductible and a 80%-20% split after the deductible. I am a healthy 24 years male. So a plan that around a third of my rent with a deductible that I surely hope to never reach even after years of medical care. I also have to pay $204 a month for it. It was the cheapest plan I could get. A decent plan with a $500-1000 is well over $400 a month. Just think about this for a sec. The ACA will die if it's not going to be rescued that's for sure.

The whole fucking system needs to be wiped and started anew

chaos789

Banned
Guys this is good.

Let him own this. The Democrats will have a huge leverage on the Republicans now. 2018 is a lock. We can fix this with single payer, slowly but surely it’s coming.

That may sound good in theory, but I am not trying to play games with my life. And I certainly do not want others to become sicker or die because of this orange piece of shit.

All polling suggests otherwise

People need to stop thinking like this

We already seen the stellar poll results from last year oh wait.... Polls were dependable in the past because misinformation wasn't so rampant and accessible 10-15 years ago. Social media made it incredibly easy to misinform millions of people with just a poorly written article online. False news and fake online articles made it incredibly easy for foreign governments to manipulate the US election. Anyone can launch a multi million campaign that's 100% false to show how the ACA is 100% on Obama and the Dems. Bring in the Hillary emails as well. When you play dirty the whole rule book is thrown out of the window. It's what you are not getting.

The Kree

Banned
This is not good. The health of other human beings is bigger than politics. I don't think it's worth having sick folks thrown off their healthcare for lack of subsidies just so my "team" can score a "win." Is that a potential upside? Sure, maybe, but that's not what matters here.

Not in America they're not. We don't have a better option than politicizing this right now. I realize that's cold but it's also true.

I had quotes last year for insurance from the ACA with no subsidizes and it was about $204 a month for a plan that has a $7k deductible and a 80%-20% split after the deductible. I am a healthy 24 years male. So a plan that around a third of my rent with a deductible that I surely hope to never reach even after years of medical care. I also have to pay $204 a month for it. It was the cheapest plan I could get. A decent plan with a $500-1000 is well over $400 a month. Just think about this for a sec. The ACA will die if it's not going to be rescued that's for sure.

These subsidies are not what the article is talking about.

The subsidies received directly by people are not being removed. They are part of law and cannot be taken away by Trump.

Trump is removing illegal subsidies which are nevertheless important for the full implementation of Obamacare. Hopefully as mentioned, Congress will now legally allocate the money rather than sitting by and allowing the health care market to be destroyed, but I suspect they will sit on their hands rather than be seen as 'helping obamacare'.

quote from my link:

On May 12, 2016, Judge Collyer ruled in favor of the House of Representatives on the merits of the case, saying that the cost-sharing program under the Affordable Care Act, as implemented since January 2014, has been spending money that Congress did not approve.[3] Such spending was unconstitutional because no money can be taken out of the federal treasury if it has not been specifically provided by act of Congress.[3] Judge Collyer criticized the government's arguments in favor of the cost-sharing reimbursements as "most curious and convoluted", adding its "mother was undoubtedly necessity". She did, however, conclude that Congress had in fact authorized that program to be created. The judge also found that Congress had provided authority to cover the spending for the tax credits to consumers who use them to help afford health coverage.[3][20]

The whole fucking system needs to be wiped and started anew

We are talking the complete restructure of the health care system down to the price of a needle. I mean I was charged $500 doctor fees for a few minutes of the doctor time when I injured myself on top the $1000 of the hospital fees when I went to the ER. It was not even a very serious injury.

chaos789

Banned
He’s cutting subsidies to the insurers, not subsidies directly to people like you. That means insurers will sue him and pull out. It won’t happen instantly though.

Pull out of the marketplace which means less options. And his EO he signed on permitting these bare ass insurance plans that do not cover shit creates a situation where the only people using the marketplace are sick people which further drives up costs.

I was planning getting rid of my Obamacare anyway. My plan went up 60% in Obama's last year in office alone and now Trump is going to continue that trend. Its time to dump Obama-Trumpcare

Stiler

My current insurance plan is 430/month, it's 80/month after subsidies to me.

I have hashimoto's disease which causes an underactive thyroid, so I have meds that I have to take the rest of my life to live (or I die) on top of having to get ultrasounds/biopsy's done around every 6/months to make sure my thyroid doesn't become cancerous or if it does to catch it early enough before it spreads.

If I lose my subsidy I can not afford 430/month on top of all my other expenses with what little income I get.

This really really sucks.

RDreamer

Pull out of the marketplace which means less options. And his EO he signed on permitting these bare ass insurance plans that do not cover shit creates a situation where the only people using the marketplace are sick people which further drives up costs.
Exactly.

People will be fucked.

They're just hoping people will be more fucked after 2018 than before. And then they're going to pin it on Obama and the democrats. Real deaths and real hardships. All to score political wins. Fucking shameful.

KingV

I honestly think it's not entirely certain any of these ever actually take effect.

He’s going to be sued. And congress very well might find the balls to veto proof majority the funding.

Trump is an agent of chaos. Like he’s actively making shit worse.

My current insurance plan is 430/month, it's 80/month after subsidies to me.

I have hashimoto's disease which causes an underactive thyroid, so I have meds that I have to take the rest of my life to live (or I die) on top of having to get ultrasounds/biopsy's done around every 6/months to make sure my thyroid doesn't become cancerous or if it does to catch it early enough before it spreads.

If I lose my subsidy I can not afford 430/month on top of all my other expenses with what little income I get.

This really really sucks.

As mentioned above, those subsidies are not being removed.

Can the OP be edited to clarify which subsidies are being taken away? It seems to be confusing a lot of people. Subsidies to health insurance companies are being taken away. Subsidies to individual people are not.

Bowler

We are talking the complete restructure of the health care system down to the price of a needle. I mean I was charged $500 doctor fees for a few minutes of the doctor time when I injured myself on top the $1000 of the hospital fees when I went to the ER. It was not even a very serious injury.

Totally agree. Aca was a bandaid to try and keep everyone happy, from no insurance people to middle class, to the insurance companies, to the doctors and hospital administrators. Noones toes were stepped on except the end user paying the bills. I'm sorry but 1100 a month for a family plan with a 3500 deductable is more then my house, and if I want out I have to pay a penalty. Fuck ACA, fuck Trump, fuck insurance companies, fuck this whole mindfuck rape bullshit called healthcare

Can the OP be edited to clarify which subsidies are being taken away? It seems to be confusing a lot of people. Subsidies to health insurance companies are being taken away. Subsidies to individual people are not.

How will the subsidies for insurance company affect the individual cost?

LOL polling. You know it's true.
Dems are (usually) ok at governing but they're awful at messaging and the American electorate will eat up whatever the GOP shits out. Trump is President if you haven't noticed.

He's not wrong.

It's a really weird argument to say, well, what Obama was doing was illegal, so we stopped it, but we still want Congress to do what Obamacare was supposed to do. I mean, maybe that flies with the 30% of your base that will agree with you no matter what, but that's just going to piss everyone else off and they won't care if a district court said that what Obama was doing was "technically" illegal if their premiums get jacked off.

Parties in power get blamed for stuff like this all the time. There's no real reason to expect Democrats to get blamed unless you think that's always is what happens or your political experience started the day that Obama became president.

Yeah, okay.

Wake me up when Democrats actually vote in the goddamn midterms. Until that time, I'm not going to underestimate the Republican spin machine.

Parties in power tend to see depleted turn out in midterms. 2002 and 1996 are special because of 9/11 and Lewinsky so it's sort of warped our history of this.

Maxim726X

Last year wasn't a midterm?

Even scarier, since Dems don't come out in midterms like they do for GEs.

Point still stands- The Republican spin machine somehow got Donald Trump into the presidency. How people can underestimate it even after last year is beyond me.

How will the subsidies for insurance company affect the individual cost?

They will cause everyone's cost to go up but if you have a plan on Obamacare (individual market) right now, I don't think the price can change until at least the next enrollment period. The subsidies people are talking about that come monthly aren't going to suddenly disappear.

Premium Tax Credits are the subsidies to individual people and they aren't going away. Moreover, if the cost of health insurance goes up, those Premium Tax Credits automatically increase.

The middle class will be screwed the most by this, as the poor receive individual subsidies that are a higher % of the cost so a rise in insurance cost is covered by the individual subsidies that aren't being removed.

Aselith

Point still stands- The Republican spin machine somehow got Donald Trump into the presidency. How people can underestimate it even after last year is beyond me.

One election doesn't indicate a trend or, well, anything. The Republican spin machine also got us 8 years of Obama.

chaos789

Banned

I thought those subsidies to insurance companies were put in place to offset the rising cost of taking in so many people with chronic illness or pre-existing conditions. Pre-existing conditions is bs anyway. I was denied even before my diagnoses due to pre-existing and I asked what my pre-existing condition was and they said it was acid reflux. Most people have had acid reflux at one point or another unless they are really young.

That's not how midterms work.

Democrats didn't turn out in midterms in 2010 and 2014 because of how midterm dynamics tend to work -- Obama was the president, and the out of power party tends to do significantly better in their midterms.

In 2006, you saw the opposite. Out of power, Democrats did significantly better than they had in 2004 (a presidential year!) and took back the House.

2002 and 1996, as explained again, are unique because of the events surrounding those two years. Something like that could happen again, but those are the exception to the rules.

Guys this is good.

If the Democratic Party controlled congress and the Presidency we could fix Obamacare by implementing single payer health care without killing thousands of people in the process.

People will die. And not just "Hurp durp Trump supporters who voted against their interest." People who have done nothing wrong and voted for Hillary will die if this goes through. Don't forget that.

I thought those subsidies to insurance companies were put in place to offset the rising cost of taking in so many people with chronic illness or pre-existing conditions. Pre-existing conditions is bs anyway. I was denied even before my diagnoses due to pre-existing and I asked what my pre-existing condition was and they said it was acid reflux. Most people have had acid reflux at one point or another unless they are really young.

Yes, those cost sharing payments to insurance companies do exist for a reason. But from people's replies in this thread it seems like some are confused and think that Trump is revoking these subsidies to individuals, which are part of federal law and can't be taken away except by congress (example chart from 2015):

tax_credit_eligibility.png

chaos789

Banned

I think it has less to do with the Republican spin machine and more to do with the fact a lot of people are really fucking stupid.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Voting has consequences. Hope it was worth it poor Trump voters.

Sadly, it’s the only way people will learn. I wish people didn’t have die or go broke for people to wake up :/

I know so many people on Obamacare, mostly freelance artists and contractors who can barely afford healthcare.

Top Bottom