• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senators Murray and Alexander Announce Deal On Restoring Obamacare Subsidies

iamblades

Yay we temporarily fixed a problem that wasn't a problem until the fucking President made it a problem.

The last president made it a problem by bypassing congress to institute illegal subsidies to prop up insurers, and the congress by crafting a bill that everyone knew would require said subsidies, because they were too chickenshit to admit the true costs of the bill to the taxpayers upfront.

Trump is an idiot, and him eliminating the subsidies was less a principled move than a blackmail tactic to try and get congress to do their job, but he was actually correct in this particular narrow case, and the courts would have forced this move eventually anyway. Instead of wasting money defending the payments in court, it makes sense to kick it back to congress and get them to fix the law.

Just because congress refuses to do their job, doesn't mean the executive branch can take over powers that are explicitly granted to them.

TalonJH

Another last-ditch effort to tackle Obamacare stalls within hours of its release
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...release/ar-AAtEBE2?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

”None of our guys voted for Obamacare," Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), a close ally of House GOP leadership, said in an interview. ”They're not very interested in sustaining it."

A leading House conservative was outright hostile. ”The GOP should focus on repealing & replacing Obamacare, not trying to save it. This bailout is unacceptable," said Rep. Mark Walker (R-N.C.) in a statement posted on Twitter. Walker is the chairman of the influential Republican Study Committee.

I have doubts that they will make this work.
Edit: wrong link.

Fucking assholes. The removal of the subsidies hits the people who need them most the hardest.

No it actually hits people who pay the full amount the most, since the subsidy for low income families remains intact and that scales.

So it actually more directly hits R constituents more heavily.

Linkura

No it actually hits people who pay the full amount, since the subsidy for low income families remains intact and that scales.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I hadn't read enough into this. I thought the low income subsidy was gone too, which would be a REAL fucking shitshow. This is still vile, of course. Most people who pay the full amount from Obamacare still aren't going to be rich enough to afford huge increases.

No it actually hits people who pay the full amount, since the subsidy for low income families remains intact and that scales.

So it actually more directly hits R constituents more heavily.

This is what I heard on npr a few days ago. I know it's terrible but I got a chuckle out of it for imagining when these well off Republican voters get the bill.

Just imagine their minds trying to figure out how Obama is able to do this when he isn't even the president anymore. Then try to blame those liberals in the white house must have done it through some complicated Soros conspiracy involving pizzas.

Steel

Banned
I love how it doesn't take 24 hours for Trump to flip because he realized McConnel and Ryan don't want to put this deal up for a vote.

Top Bottom