• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Greenlights 'Elementary' Modern Sherlock Holmes Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow780

The twist was awesome, initially. Kinda disappointed Moriarty fell for the same trope that female characters often does and let emotion swayed her decisions.

Hopefully after she escapes in season 2 that she'll be more ruthless.

The twist was awesome, initially. Kinda disappointed Moriarty fell for the same trope that female characters often does and let emotion swayed her decisions.

They did balance it of sorts, considering both Sherlock and Moriarty let emotions cloud their respective judgement. Watson (a woman!) as an outside onlooker had the cooler head and was the pivotal piece here.

Shadow780

They did balance it of sorts, considering both Sherlock and Moriarty let emotions cloud their respective judgement. Watson (a woman!) as an outside onlooker had the cooler head and was the pivotal piece here.

Seemed too rushed to have it in the same season. I know she would eventually lose her cool but the way they did it was too quick.

It's rare we see main female antagonists so I'll still stick with it.

What's the over and under on episodes she break out of prison next season? lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Seemed too rushed to have it in the same season. I know she would eventually lose her cool but the way they did it was too quick.

First five minutes of episode one. They won't be told until later.

Heck maybe she doesn't break out and runs the whole thing from inside prison.

I wouldn't take a bet against it of course. I didn't think they would have her foiled quite so quickly either.

Reading this thread from start to finish is funny.

It really is.

I enjoyed the season finale. This show has charmed me despite my initial reservations. It's not thing I will ever really geek out about, but I enjoy it quite a lot. Did not see Moriarty coming, and Dormer really pulled it off. Kudos to her. Like they said in the episode, this show has the ability to surprise me, so I am sticking around. Bring on season 2!

The fact that you used the term foeyay pleases me greatly.

tumblr_lxz63m4Xif1r2oqaxo1_500.gif

Maiar_m

I did not get the "she's Moriarty" thing, I must have been out of it :( I was convinced moriarty was just showing Sherlock that Irene had never died, but had just faked it to get away from him. I'll connect the brain next time I watch that show.

I liked how they made a few references to the source material, like with Sherlock faking his own death (kinda). And the "My dear Watson" line was nice.

But my god Natalie Dormer is attractive.

So this came on again last night.

Are we going to have a season two thread?

Anyhow, Mycroft and Lestrade. Lestrade was disappointing, but I dunno, I might be convinced to like this Mycroft.

Wiktor

Is this show any good ? Is it anywhere near as good as Sherlock uk version ?

Well..mm...BBC Sherlock is a lot better, but this one is good too, especially once it truly starts to roll. Plus it has great intepretations of those characters. In this area it is IMO better than the BBC one, which goes for more classic representations.

Penguin

Anyhow, Mycroft and Lestrade. Lestrade was disappointing, but I dunno, I might be convinced to like this Mycroft.

I was gonna say.. shame it never really got a proper season 1 thread

IT needs a season 2 thread!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I remember reading about this show before it hit and thinking it would be awful but I really enjoyed season 1 and season 2 has started off good.

Didn't even realize it was back on tonight.

Should we make a Season 2 thread or keep using this?

Did I miss a lot by not seeing last season's finale? I saw every episode last season except the finale so I'm not sure if I should watch the first episode of this season yet.

Krowley

I don't know if it's as good, but it definitely appeals to my own personal tastes more. This show is more fun, and I like the interpretation of the character better. He's much more likable here.

Krowley

Did I miss a lot by not seeing last season's finale? I saw every episode last season except the finale so I'm not sure if I should watch the first episode of this season yet.

Should I hold off on watching this season until I see it?

I haven't started this season yet--probably won't until way later since I usually prefer to marathon things--but the last episode of last season was a pretty big deal. I wouldn't want to skip it.

edit: didn't mean to post two things so close together--not exactly, anyway--just think of it as one giant post.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I suppose I'm crazy, but I actually think Elementary is more interesting than Sherlock simply because of all the changes.

I mean, what they did last season was just amazing.

Well..you have to admit though...Elementary's Moriarty blows away Sherlock's one :)

I like them both for different reasons, but I ADORE the fact that Sherlock's Moriarty was genuinely creepy. As a long time fan of the Holmes mythos, I've never been truly scared and skeeved out by any incarnation of Moriarty until this one. I seems that it's an unpopular opinion here on gaf, but I loved how unhinged and unpredictable he was.

I like them both for different reasons, but I ADORE the fact that Sherlock's Moriarty was genuinely creepy. As a long time fan of the Holmes mythos, I've never been truly scared and skeeved out by any incarnation of Moriarty until this one. I seems that it's an unpopular opinion here on gaf, but I loved how unhinged and unpredictable he was.

Yeah. At the time, the performance left me a bit cold, but after a second watch of both seasons, I've come to really appreciate the sheer horrific lunacy behind that version of Moriarty. Don't know how they'll top him. He was genuinely scary.

Yeah. At the time, the performance left me a bit cold, but after a second watch of both seasons, I've come to really appreciate the sheer horrific lunacy behind that version of Moriarty. Don't know how they'll top him. He was genuinely scary.

I was put off by him in his first episode too. When the pool scene started, I was like 'The fuck is wrong with Moriarty?' but by the end my skin was crawling. The dude genuinely made me uncomfortable, which was awesome.

Its great but completely different from the UK version.
I would say give it a try either way, but the real hook and great/awesome stuff from this version doesn't start for a ways into it.
Though the characters are good from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom