• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR Confirms Witcher 3 Update for XBX and PS4 Pro

If you're expecting 30fps to 60fps upgrades on Pro and X then you're going to be very disappointed.

Both CPUs are ~30% better than their predecessors. Not enough to jump a game from 30fps to 60fps.

There is one game on Pro that's gone from 30fps to 60fps, suggesting the game was GPU-bound.

GPU = resolution
CPU = framerate

These consoles are designed for higher-res and providing stabler framerates, not jumping from 30 to 60.

Yup wasn't it the game Surge that does 60fps on Pro thanks to the game being GPU bound!

Jonboy

Happy PS4 Pro owner here; thank you One X!

I can't imagine it will be much, but as a 1080p owner, I'd settle for supersampling and maybe some enhanced effects. Hopefully it will be a locked 30 throughout as well (even with boost mode I'm pretty sure there were still a few areas with drops).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So...maybe this is why some games seemed to have delayed Pro or no patches.

Makes sense now. Just guessing, but would this avoid doing double work for the XBO X version?

(XBOX, One X...what shall I use now???)

Haines

Banned
This is funny bc now i dont feel so bad for waiting and the entire industry will hVe no reason not to jump back in and finish it now

I'm one of those that doesn't care for 60fps and would rather have a resolution bump along with extra visual fidelity so i welcome this Pro boost also. Cheers X1X

takriel

If you're expecting 30fps to 60fps upgrades on Pro and X then you're going to be very disappointed.

Both CPUs are ~30% better than their predecessors. Not enough to jump a game from 30fps to 60fps.

There is one game on Pro that's gone from 30fps to 60fps, suggesting the game was GPU-bound.

GPU = resolution
CPU = framerate

These consoles are designed for higher-res and providing stabler framerates, not jumping from 30 to 60.

Thank you for clarifying this. That's really helpful.

AmyS

I'm guessing checkerboard to 1600p (1800p if we're lucky) on PS4 Pro @ 30fps

Native 2160p / 4K @ 30fps on Xbox One X

The CPUs are too weak to handle 60fps, even with XBOX.

Both should get some visual enhancements.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, realistically, here's what I'm hoping from the Pro patch.

Checker boarded 4K (or 1800p) + rockiest of rock solid 30 FPS with other enhancements like better motion blur and texture filtering etc.

TW3 Complete edition was one of the first games I got with my Pro, played and loved it even before the Boost mode. Native Pro patch should be great for the next play through the entire compilation.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have a feeling that it's gonna be 1440p on the Pro with higher quality assets and HDR, which is fine with me.

I'd prefer if they go all out on it, but I'm not expecting a huge effort from them.

X-Frame

This is amazing news, although CDPR's denial of any Pro support in the past prompted me to do a New Game+ last month and I am half way done.

I might as well finish it now. I would be totally down to do a 3rd playthrough when these patches release as well.

I assume I can't do a NG++ so luckily I kept my original save.

adamsapple

9GB vs 5.5GB of RAM

X will have some nice extras other than resolution.

Hmm, they could do actual 4K textures instead of simply increasing the resolution on the XBX. I can imagine Pro version will mostly be increasing resolution and XBX version might have actual higher resolution assets.

God damn this makes me so happy. The last couple weeks I've been thinking about jumping back in, but I was really hoping this would happen, so I didn't.

rokkerkory

This is really exciting, good on CDPR.

Also, X1X is good for the Pro just like DF said. Hope for more of this going fwd.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
9GB vs 5.5GB of RAM

X will have some nice extras other than resolution.

I think the RAM set up on XBX will allow for it to have higher res textures most of the time. I expect that will be a more tangible benefit to most people than something like checkerboard versus native 4k.

adamsapple

What if there's two modes?

1080p60fps and a HighRes30fps?

60 FPS would require CPU power that these consoles (Pro at least) don't readily have. It would require a looot of optimization or the team diverting a bunch of features from CPU to GPU (like how The Surge has particles entirely done by the GPU).

Top Bottom