• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappie - Trailer One

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychi

Banned
Johnny #5 in 2014. I predict it/he dies in the end, but its left open for a sequel. Will def check it out on Netflix/VOD

jett

D-Member
That didn't look anywhere as silly as I was made to believe. After Elysium I'll be keeping my expectations in check though.

Deadstar

Johnny #5 in 2014. I predict it/he dies in the end, but its left open for a sequel. Will def check it out on Netflix/VOD

I think Neil said he has a lot of visions for movies and doesn't want to do sequels. It's why he hasn't done a District 9 sequel yet. He's probably the best director out there right now behind Quentin Tarantino.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damnit, looks worst than I had expected. I thought it would be a gangsters/robbers-buddy movie with an over-his-head AI, a comedic metaphor for kids growing up under bad influences.

It kind of is like that, but instead with a serious/emotional twist, which is just yawn-inducing.

Also, it strangely reminds me of Hackers or other low-budget 90s movies for some reason (Double Dragon, etc.). Maybe it had to do with the visuals and the characters/plot/acting, the futuristic world concept featuring such a predictable story, the "alien friend we must protect", not sure. Anyone else got that feel?

wf9dwej.jpg

zychi

Banned
I think Neil said he has a lot of visions for movies and doesn't want to do sequels. It's why he hasn't done a District 9 sequel yet. He's probably the best director out there right now behind Quentin Tarantino.

I know, but if Chappie takes off as some sort of Pixar-like lovable character, he may have to have it be "rebootbale" or something where his memory stays. I'm just blindly guessing that it sacrifices itself to save someone in the film. The trailer gives me that vibe.

Still excited to see it. Loved D9, turned off the Elisyum movie 30 mins in. So will def support it from home.

Platy

Interesting to see some happy fun from Blomkamp.

Now I want to see some non dirty sci fi from Blomkamp =P

soultron

Banned
Looks like someone neutered Tetra Vaal. Cautiously optimistic.

Is this the same designer who did the mechanical and industrial design bits on Elysium? He was great.

Jeff-DSA

My dad built parts for Short Circuit. He's like, one of his dads, I guess.

Anyway, this trailer looks great. I can't wait to see the actual film.

Edit: I get vibes of Spike Jonze's "I'm Here" from this a little bit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Blompkamp is a great mechanical designer and he's good at making mocumentary footage (the Halo movie footage of the re-armament sequence was great), but that's it. I liked District 9, even if it was too long, but really he's a great VFX artist who can manage to do a good sales pitch with a quality short that sells itself mainly on its visual point, no a good full length movie director.

It's too bad because I think if he took a step back and focused on design only and let someone more talented as a movie director take the lead we would end up with much better movies.

This looks excessively cliché, almost line an homage to low-budget 90s movies.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I loved District 9 and I'm probably one of the few on this board that enjoyed Elyisuim too. This though? I'm not feeling it. Reminded me immediately of short circuit and also having the die antwoord duo playing what appear to be central parts in this is dumb imo. I'll still probably see it but that trailer left me pretty underwhelmed

Ridley327

Wherei s the usual good ol gore?

Looks decent.

They're not going to show the gore in a green band trailer.

Speaking of, I wonder if this will be an otherwise PG-13 film that gets pushed to R because Blomkamp had to add in one scene of a weapon designed specifically to explode someone's head.

jmood88

The trailer is a lot different than what has been described but I'll see anything that Blomkamp makes so I'll be there on day 1.

Choomp

Banned
Looks like we're gonna get some District 9 feels from this one. Friggin Blomkamp just can't make a movie that ain't sad

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm starting to think the 80s/90s low budget thing is on purpose. You got the friendly alien friend who learns funny human things and has to be protected from the bad army, and a music band as the leads. And Jackman has a mullet.

Looks damn good. Such a sweet enduring looking robot, but....

....you just know, this being Neil Blomkamp's movie will be brutal and bloody as hell when things goes downhill. And then make us feel bummed out at the end about the characters.

I was burned by Elysium, so I'm really hesitant about this. Will probably see it anyways because I loved District 9 so much. But Elysium was so bad, ugh conundrum.

KAOz

Short bus special
The design of Chappie makes me think of an anorexic version of the robotdude from the Appleseed anime.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The design of Chappie makes me think of an anorexic version of the robotdude from the Appleseed anime.

I'm guessing there will be montage where they beef him up and train him to fight, with cuts to a stage performance of Antwoord.

Deadstar

The weird thing to me is that it has the die antwood guys in it. Aren't those people playing characters in the music group in real life? So it seems weird they would play the same type of character in this movie without changing their look at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom