• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chick-fil-A is playing religious music while you eat on the low

It's pretty obnoxious to non religious people or people of other faiths. It's not inclusive and borderline offensive.

That said, this is instrumental so it's fine
This would be like getting mad that Islamic music is playing when I order my Kebab. If you are annoyed or offended by other people outwardly representing themselves with something so inconsequential, you are the a-hole.

Azerare

This would be like getting mad that Islamic music is playing when I order my Kebab. If you are annoyed or offended by other people outwardly representing themselves with something so inconsequential, you are the a-hole.
Yeah that's about where I'm at thought wise too.

partime

Disclaimer: I had Chick-fil-A once when I was visiting the US, and I didn't even see what's all the fucking hype is about! Maybe ordered the wrong type of chicken?

Don't expect fast-food to be some glorious above and beyond meal thats leagues above restaurant quality food. It's still fast-food, but the sauces, simplicity, and service are one of the best of any fast food joint in the US. Especially the service, it's annoying how nice they are there.

Huh, ok then. Well the only one near me is in a mall so theres an unfortunate overture of elevator-style music or terrible pop music playing over any of it if its even there.

PSqueak

Banned
Frankly, i understand why it's mildly upsetting, but then again, they're a private company they are allowed to play whatever they want in their premises.

To me this wouldn't be any more uncomfortable than any place blaring music i don't like in their speakers, and boy let me tell you the local flavor of music where i live is shitty, loud and highly misogynistic in content, some "god loves you" silly tunes would be a step up.

Aurongel

They're a private company, if you don't like it then vote with your dollar. I personally don't have a problem with it and think that for the most part they keep it pretty low key in their restaurants. How they act as private body politically however can be pretty gross but like I said, giving them business is a choice individuals have to make for themselves.

Did you get the spicy chicken?

If not, you got the wrong type of chicken.
Don't expect fast-food to be some glorious above and beyond meal thats leagues above restaurant quality food. It's still fast-food, but the sauces, simplicity, and service are one of the best of any fast food joint in the US. Especially the service, it's annoying how nice they are there.

To be honest I remember not being that hungry at the time, this was the location in West Hollywood, it was a summer weekend and it was packed. I think I cheaped out and ordered like a junior sandwich or something.

Anyway all this chicken sandwich talk, I'm salivating, we have nothing equivalent to Chick-Fil-A up in Canada (love to hear about it, if we do) we have all the greasy joints, like Church's, Popeye's and KFC. :/
And to be quite frank most of these franchises mentioned above have terrible customer service, if not horrible health codes at certain locations in the city.

Since they've been doing this forever, this topic is comical to me.

I could just listen and tell what the song was based upon the instrumentals. *shrug*

-Gozer-

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip."

Anura

Normally I think Christians (at least stateside ones) can be very annoying with how the shove their religion in your face and assume everyone thinks like they do, but in this situation? It doesn’t bother me. Not only are they VERY open about their faith in all other matters but it’s also your choice to eat there. I’d never eat there already with their stance on LGBT

grumble

A lot of people do forget that, and get really passionate about fast food, junk food, and sweet drinks. It is strange to fight over which bottom of the barrel food is the best, but it's huge.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Uhh try going to a store around Christmas. Its all Christian music

I'll go around stores and have them play Christian Slayer covers for Christmas.

JESUS!
THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS!
THE WAY THAT I WANT IT TO BE!

Totally agree. I listen to a incredibly wide variety of music (love you Spotify!), including religious music from all over the world. Check these out:

Byzantine Chant in Arabic - All Creation Rejoices (Christian)
Beautiful and haunting, you can't understand a word and the layman would take it as "Muslim music".

La Illaha Il Allah (Muslim)
Group chanting with a good, smooth sound.

Jars of Clay - Flood (More traditional Christian)
I don't think this song mentions God explicitly. Has a really cool beat and the track changes entirely 2-3 times.

Matisyahu - Jerusalem (Jewish)
This guy is my man. I freaking love his music. Interesting note, this guy is such a cool, inspirational dude. He also appeared on an album with a Christian Rock band, the songs he's in are like rock-reggae and dope.

All you people that shit on religion in general, or religious music, don't know anything about the incredibly variety that is out there and the interesting stories and lives some of these people have lived. How about a little more diversity in your lives?

Bonus:
Totally different music. Formed by a group of guys in the Sahara desert that wander around with electric guitars.

I'd give it a listen if you know of any Christian/religious music that sounds like 80s metal/hard rock, kinda like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motörhead etc.?

It is surprising to me that they play music of any kind at Chick Fil a. Doesnt happen at mine, at least not the times I've been in.

It is surprising to me that they play music of any kind at Chick Fil a. Doesnt happen at mine, at least not the times I've been in.

I've never noticed anything playing in mine either.

The only thing that annoys me about CFA is getting told "My pleasure" like ten times when I'm there.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
They can play fucking Nickelback doing acoustic covers of new Taylor Swift songs and I don't care as long as they keep making that delicious chicken

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Soo, minus the allegedly "homophobic" stuff, they operate like any other fast food joint in the country? "service with a smile"

I envy you in a way that , you're at a point in your life where you can still take good service for granted. Would you have preferred if the guy handed the shake to you while checking his facebook page on his phone and not even making eye contact? "eear you go bruh"

I'm not religious but that doesn't bother me the homophobia and fake niceness is what bothers me. You really are making these huge leaps how does telling a guy 'don't worry it's just a shake' mean I don't appreciate good service?

Aranjah

I don't know if this normal for this franchise but the Sunny Street Cafe near me does this, and always has Fox News on the TV in the corner. With bonus "bring in your church bulletin for a discount!" on Tuesdays. (Sure is Alabama in here.)

The waitstaff seems friendly, though, and no one seems to care when my coworkers and I go there for lunch and have pretty liberal-oriented conversations, so we all just kinda ignore it.

Esiquio

Don't forget the award-winning Civilization IV trailer
Spoiler: Arranged version of the Swahili-language Lord's Prayer.

MY MAN! I love this song, thanks for linking this since I had forgotten about it. I actually got to hear this live in San Diego at Video Games Live years ago :) It gives me chills hearing it again.

I'll go around stores and have them play Christian Slayer covers for Christmas.

JESUS!
THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS!
THE WAY THAT I WANT IT TO BE!

I'd give it a listen if you know of any Christian/religious music that sounds like 80s metal/hard rock, kinda like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motörhead etc.?

Hmm, good question. I can point you in the right direction, I think. I'll give you three songs, tell me what you think:

Haste the Day - White as Snow

War of Ages - Song of Solomon

Crucify the Flesh - Glory to God

Bonus for everyone else:
https://open.spotify.com/track/735jNvRlknkWkxv2C8pD4s

Top Bottom