• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Himself

Is anyone else finding that they have to constantly recalibrate the Move? I just can't get a decent setting. The calibration looks good on the menu screen, then when the game starts, the cursor seems to jump halfway up the screen and I can even point at the bottom third. It's just not accurate to let me do what I want and I'm dying way more than I should be.

And if I get a decent calibration the pointing seems to become less and less accurate as time goes on.

Just kinda frustrating because it seems like this game would be perfect for Move and I'm about to start using the standard controller.

Besides that issue, this game is truly, truly amazing.

Edit: Hmm...it seems I'm doing it all wrong. Instead of treating the Move like a gun that I point where I want the cursor to go, I'm supposed to actually move the Move where I want the cursor to go.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Truespeed said:
Doesn't the 360 includes the 1GB+ security partition?

Install space is 2.4 GB on my X360. Don't know why they would waste install space (if that's the case, I'm angry)

jiggles

Banned
Himself said:
Is anyone else finding that they have to constantly recalibrate the Move? I just can't get a decent setting. The calibration looks good on the menu screen, then when the game starts, the cursor seems to jump halfway up the screen and I can even point at the bottom third. It's just not accurate to let me do what I want and I'm dying way more than I should be.

And if I get a decent calibration the pointing seems to become less and less accurate as time goes on.

Just kinda frustrating because it seems like this game would be perfect for Move and I'm about to start using the standard controller.

Besides that issue, this game is truly, truly amazing.

Edit: Hmm...it seems I'm doing it all wrong. Instead of treating the Move like a gun that I point where I want the cursor to go, I'm supposed to actually move the Move where I want the cursor to go.
That doesn't really make any sense. The cursor is entirely controlled by the position of the sphere. You don't point, you move it about.

It certainly can't get less accurate with time, unless you're moving the PSEye or something, because it's the absolute X,Y position it sees the sphere at that's the only thing controlling the cursor.

If you find you can't reach any area of the screen, hold the controller closer to your side during the second part of calibration. That'll make the bounding box smaller so you have to move about less to reach the edges. Look closely at the final screen of the calibration process and you'll get a good idea of how it's working.

EDIT: Just spotted your edit. :)

pakkit

Banned
On 360 is it better with Kinect or does it matter? I've been holding off a purchase til I get Kinect, but if it doesn't make an impact, I might just go head and dive in.

Rez is the stoner's game of choice.

Source: I am an expert stoner.

pakkit said:
On 360 is it better with Kinect or does it matter? I've been holding off a purchase til I get Kinect, but if it doesn't make an impact, I might just go head and dive in.

Rez is the stoner's game of choice.

Source: I am an expert stoner.

Depends what you want out of the game but since you mention being a stoner I think Kinect is far superior. The overall control method might not be quite as precise but the experience makes up for it.

Played with Move and weed last night at a friends house and I think move is also superior to a controller in terms of experience but would rate it a couple notches lower.

Me stoner opinion(which is also expert)

Kinect>>Move>>>>>>>>>>>controller.

I'm also pretty sure that this game is being bundled with some Kinect's at the moment so that might be another reason to hold off buying.

Himself

Thanks for the feedback jigglywiggly. I'm gonna give it a go.

Hey pakkit (as in a bowl?), I can't really say much about Kinect, but I can tell you Child of Eden is bonkers after a smoke.

This is the kind of game I want to show to everyone I know.

Edit: Is everyone who smokes an expert?

jiggles

Banned
Phonomezer said:
I imagine Move making this game easier than usual, is this the case?
I don't know how hard it was otherwise, but my first three plays got me 3 stars on each run, and then my arm was fucked so I needed a break.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm a new Move owner (Sports bundle is $50 this week at Kmart) so I'm definitely interested in this game. However, the 360 version dropped in price so fast that I'm more than willing to wait. $20 seems fair considering the games length.

Himself

Phonomezer said:

I've been playing with one, and I can't really imagine a standard controller being fast or accurate enough for some of the sections when it really gets frantic or there are a ton of on-screen targets.

I'm finding the challenge about right for what the game is. I've died a few times and more frequently as the levels progress, but nothing frustrating.

I image Hard mode will be...pretty hard.

conman

Himself said:
I've been playing with one, and I can't really imagine a standard controller being fast or accurate enough for some of the sections when it really gets frantic or there are a ton of on-screen targets.
Kinect/Move is more of an "experience" thing. But the controller is more of a score-attack thing. The score hounds will favor the controller, not just because it's more precise, but because the enemy patterns seem designed with a controller in mind. It's very doable once you learn the levels.

I'm finding the challenge about right for what the game is. I've died a few times and more frequently as the levels progress, but nothing frustrating.

I image Hard mode will be...pretty hard.
Similar to traditional shmups, playing for survival is very different from playing for score. On normal difficulty, survival is relatively easy, but playing for score is as "challenging" as you want it to be. And on hard difficulty and in challenge mode, survival itself becomes quite difficult.

pakkit

Banned
Himself said:
Edit: Is everyone who smokes an expert?
It depends on your Ganjascore.

Thanks for the replies, I'll probably pick this up for a Christmas sale. As soon as I heard it was a Rez sequel I've avoided footage like the plague.

Yeah I thought I was going something wrong until I realized its in your motion not a pointer. Which makes total sense now after playing the kinect version. My shoulder is totally dead.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Phonomezer said:

Yes, but not just because of the pointer thing. It's the main control scheme actually as it allows to basically fire missiles and tracer simultaneously (lock via hover, unleash hell tapping trigger - no gesture needed nor a dedicated lock button). Of course this is of no use for those going for the high score, but helps a lot in purifying or completing the challenge level.

The Move/Kinect pointer is slightly larger than the controller one as well but this is sort of compensated by the somewhat annoying camera control. It's much easier to look around with the stick. Also slightly annoying is the auto-centering cursor (both in Kinect and Move versions). It's the very same auto-centering you get when using the controller, but with motion controls it forces you to extend your arms more than you'd need. I don't really understand the need for it.

Kinect version controls are slightly less responsive than Move ones, but with Kinect if you side step, the game recalibrates automatically so that you still aim at the center of the screen when rising you arm in front of you. Not so with Move as it reads the side step as an arm/hand movement (Kinect knows where your body is, Move does not).

Move has an advantage in terms of cursor stability and tracking robustness. It never freaks out while Kinect one does so quite often if you keep your hand too close to the torso, more so if you are seated. Of course playing seated is not an issue with Move.

Technically they run the same (60fps) and IQ is the same. 360 version has more sparks and effects tho. The purple missiles, for example, come with a stronger glowing effect so are easier to spot in the mess.

kkpNE.jpg

PS3 version to the left.

Working on a vid showing all this stuff and more. ;)

Himself

TTP said:
this is of no use for those going for the high score, but helps a lot in purifying or completing the challenge level.

First I want to say you're the man and I appreciate your dedication to all things Move.

I'm wondering whether the majority of high scores are being achieved by traditional controls or motion controls. I'll have to check it out next time I boot it up. I'm curious what the "pros" are using.

Ken

Question:

So I finally took the Kinect out of the box for Gunstringer but this game seems pretty interesting too. Is it available on XBL marketplace? I recall hearing something about it being bundled in future Kinect bundles as a Digital Download.

Truespeed

Wario64 said:
Install space is 2.4 GB on my X360. Don't know why they would waste install space (if that's the case, I'm angry)

You're comparing a 2.4GB 360 install to a 1.2GB rar file? Expanded, it should be well over 2GB.

Psykotik

just got the game on PS3.

it feels a lot better playing it with move than kinect (bought the 360 version a while back).

the 3D is pretty subtle in my eyes. but effective. it's a trip playing this game with 3D on. makes it more immersive. you almost get lost in the visuals and the beat.

i also like using the move better because the vibration helps with pulling off perfect octa locks.

T-0800

With regard to Move controls is it pointer based or is it just tracking the sphere? I ask because there won't be or shouldn't be any calibration or drift problems if it is just tracking the sphere.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Truespeed said:
You're comparing a 2.4GB 360 install to a 1.2GB rar file? Expanded, it should be well over 2GB.

How big is it on PSN?

BTW, Famitsu gave the X360 version a better score than PS3 version...by 1 point (36 vs 35)

Shinjiru

I plan on picking this up soon and I am trying to decide 360 or PS3.

I won't be using Move or Kinect (at least right away). I've read the posts above about the graphical differences, but what about the audio? Is it the same on both platforms?

Persona7

Banned
Shinjiru said:
I plan on picking this up soon and I am trying to decide 360 or PS3.

I won't be using Move or Kinect (at least right away). I've read the posts above about the graphical differences, but what about the audio? Is it the same on both platforms?
I would assume the sound is similar due to the game being a very small file size.

onQ123 said:
maybe it's the Kinect coding

wat

i tried the first level today. i was using the move. the menus were making me REALLY nervous because the sensitivity is completely off the fucking charts.

however the in game sensitivity is fine. got 2 stars on the first try, really didn't have too much of an idea what was going on in terms of big scoring other then releasing when the lock on is maxed out for the perfect bonus.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
T-0800 said:
With regard to Move controls is it pointer based or is it just tracking the sphere? I ask because there won't be or shouldn't be any calibration or drift problems if it is just tracking the sphere.

Sphere tracking

J2d

KataChan said:
Would have bought this full price for ps3 if it included RezHD.
Rez really needs to get it's ass on PSN. Anyway I bought this a couple of days ago, only played three stages but so far it's seems good, not as good as Rez though.

FreeMufasa

*sigh* looks like I wont get to play this till Tuesday seeing as Play just shipped it. Should have just went with Amazon and forgot the T-shirt.

God, hard mode on controller is kind of killer.
Ken said:
Question:

So I finally took the Kinect out of the box for Gunstringer but this game seems pretty interesting too. Is it available on XBL marketplace? I recall hearing something about it being bundled in future Kinect bundles as a Digital Download.
Yeah, I believe it is on Games on Demand, but is probably cheaper off Amazon.

Akkad

Banned
Beat the game and went through the levels a few times and I am really liking it. I still think Rez is the better game due to the music at least.

Top Bottom