• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chile releases official study on UFO photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
they have always been around

1122447978_2950856_370_xlarge.jpeg

ahahahahaha

glorious!

Orayn

Following Occam's razor, rare optical atmospheric phenomena is a much more likely explanation than intergalactic spaceships.

Whenever I try to bring up eliminating mundane possibilities before concluding that something must have been aliens, the responses usually trail off into garbage and special pleadings. Disappointing, really.

People straight up admit that they believe it HAS to be aliens for reasons X, Y, and Z instead of making any attempt to evaluate it impartially.

I just find it a little weird that there was someone with a camera at that location. Seems a little deserted

As someone that work in a copper mine almost in the same area here in Chile, I can tell you there is nothing weird about someone with a camera at that location.

First, as others have said, today everyone has a smartphone and second, it's pretty normal here to carry a "real" camera to document the progress of a project, a failure in the productive process or the safety conditions of an area.

Fun fact: It's not a little deserted, but totally deserted :p (Atacama's desert is the driest place on Earth).

I don't know what the hell that object could possible be. I would agree with Timedog about being an experimental new plane from USA, but it's too far away from the "headquarters" so surely is something else.

I think it's pretty sad that every UFO thread here turns out the same way. It's almost as though people see the title and race to post memes and only the most tangentially related thoughts about space aliens and whether we're alone in the universe. It's a bummer because this is a very interesting piece even if you're a hardcore sceptic (whatever it even means to be skeptical of UFOs). It's not every day a government anywhere in the world publishes their findings like this along with all the photographic evidence, and even disclosing weaknesses to the investigation such as the lack of the interviews of witnesses.

StayDead

I've given up on the alien thing. If they're real, why don't they just show themselves? If not, they clearly have a reason to avoid us.

Aliens are probably out there but for all we know, they might actually want to kill us if we contact them.

Considering the human race can't contact itself without ending up on the road to violence if there was a more peaceful civilisation who were "watching" us. There's no surprise that they wouldn't want anything to do with us.

Our species are pretty much the scum of the earth considering all the horrible things we've done to ourselves and our planet.

Winter John

Gold Member
I think it's pretty sad that every UFO thread here turns out the same way. It's almost as though people see the title and race to post memes and only the most tangentially related thoughts about space aliens and whether we're alone in the universe. It's a bummer because this is a very interesting piece even if you're a hardcore sceptic (whatever it even means to be skeptical of UFOs). It's not every day a government anywhere in the world publishes their findings like this along with all the photographic evidence, and even disclosing weaknesses to the investigation such as the lack of the interviews of witnesses.

I agree. There's a difference between being skeptical and questioning the existence of ufos, and just thread shitting with lazy maymays. It's a shame that there are people on gaf who can't control themselves when these threads appear. Anyway, my favourite alien story is the infamous Phil Schneider encounter at Dulce underground base back in the 70s. I don't care whether he's talking absolute nonsense, it's a fantastic story, and it's one of those outlandish tales that I like to think actually happened. Link below to his presentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kTODsqbDI

Kimaxe

Chances of that life being advanced enough at the same small window of time as we've been here is far smaller though.

Knowing we exist and solving the problems it would take to visit us much, much smaller still.

And presuming we're important enough for them to go to all this trouble, repeatedly, is in itself arrogant.

It's pretty much my thoughts.
And I saw a documentary (not the "I want to believe" kind) and the interviewed scientists pointed out the fact that the saucer shape is far to be the best in order to travel through space and come to say Hi . The flying saucer would be a popular belief (don't remember the start of this belief ?), hence the numerous reports of these types of UFO.
Another thing is, with all the space probes, space shuttles and telescopes we sent in space, why none of them came, closely or remotely, across the path of an alien spaceship ?

?oe?oe

The observable universe is absolutely HUGE, it can really be hard to understand how huge. We're lucky to get even a hint of activity. We're just another speck in the void.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The observable universe is absolutely HUGE, it can really be hard to understand how huge. We're lucky to get even a hint of activity. We're just another speck in the void.

Hold me!, and whisper words of comfort to me

Sayter

Has anyone else noticed that as high quality and high resolution cell phone cameras became more common, UFO sightings have become less common? It's harder to fake UFO pictures now a days.

And this is a good thing as it weeds out the things that can be explained.

jerry1594

It's pretty much my thoughts.
And I saw a documentary (not the "I want to believe" kind) and the interviewed scientists pointed out the fact that the saucer shape is far to be the best in order to travel through space and come to say Hi . The flying saucer would be a popular belief (don't remember the start of this belief ?), hence the numerous reports of these types of UFO.
Another thing is, with all the space probes, space shuttles and telescopes we sent in space, why none of them came, closely or remotely, across the path of an alien spaceship ?
Space is big dude

Considering the human race can't contact itself without ending up on the road to violence if there was a more peaceful civilisation who were "watching" us. There's no surprise that they wouldn't want anything to do with us.

Our species are pretty much the scum of the earth considering all the horrible things we've done to ourselves and our planet.
Sorry but this is juvenile fantasy nonsense. Any species evolves through survival and conflict. The idea of benevolent space beings who are visiting just to frown at us from the skies is such a played out sci fi trope with no basis in reality beyond wishful thinking.

I agree. There's a difference between being skeptical and questioning the existence of ufos, and just thread shitting with lazy maymays. It's a shame that there are people on gaf who can't control themselves when these threads appear. Anyway, my favourite alien story is the infamous Phil Schneider encounter at Dulce underground base back in the 70s. I don't care whether he's talking absolute nonsense, it's a fantastic story, and it's one of those outlandish tales that I like to think actually happened. Link below to his presentation

The reason memes and mocking take place is due to posts like this. You question why nobody takes you seriously then post unbelievable nonsense and say you don't care if it's crazy, you still believe.....ok

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
are these kinds of threads known for having ufo debunkers?

curious

Gaf has a lot of engineers, scientists, programmers, and generally well informed members... in my experience the forum generally skews skeptical (not necessarily of alien life, but things like blurry UFO images and alien butt probes).

i believe we aren't alone in this universe

The universe is so vast, it's difficult not to.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The half-disclosure that we have since years and the ignorance about that subject speaks volume. Yeah who cares if someone had visit us when we are still busy to kill us each other on this fucking planet. No wonder that they don´t make the first contact when you see all that shit that the human race is doing. Just watch 10min. of daily news and you have your answer.

Every single intelligent species we're aware of, 100% of them, are aggressive, militaristic and largely religious destroyers of planets. Fermi Paradox may simply be galactic common sense.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I think it needs to be said that being an UFO does not mean that is from another planet, it just means that it's an unidentified flying object.

You can ask any pilot of they have seen UFOs, most will reply affirmatively.

Central and northern Chile are places known for a ton of UFO sightseeing.

I don't believe in intelligent alien life mind you, but I do believe there are a lot of UFOs or there.

IF they are "aliens" like in science fiction movies, and are able to visit and leave earth within their life, I think that breaks every known law of physics. There's prob life out there, but I honestly don't believe they are able to visits other galaxies.

I firmly believe were not the only intelligent life-form in the universe, whether or not they are visiting us is still up for debate.

Since these threads run on speculation I will speculate. What happens to humanity if it's proven that aliens do exist? Does religion go straight out the window? What if they have their own religion? So many possibilities and variables that I'm kind of glad it hasnt happened.

Also, yes all other intelligent sspecies on earth are territorial beings however not every living thing evolves through only survival/conflict. Darwin's survival of the fittest was one of the things he got wrong when he developed the theory of natural selection.

However, who is to say that extraterrestrial life would bqe governed by the same rules of evolution/laws of physics that govern us?

DodgerSan

And presuming we're important enough for them to go to all this trouble, repeatedly, is in itself arrogant.

I've never understood this line of reasoning. If we detected with absolute certainty a civilisation 'nearby' and given the time/money/effort to go, or send probes, we could do it, wouldn't we do it?

And the travel might not be a big deal for them. We can now do in 8 hours a journey that 100 years ago would have taken weeks or months, using technology that would have been LITERALLY magic a few hundred years ago. Maybe, just maybe, we don't know it all, and people out there are smarter than we are. Just a thought.

Flat weather balloons.

Yeah something like Project Loon
[...]the mission of providing Internet access to rural and remote areas.
[...]
After this initial trial, Google plans on sending up 300 balloons around the world at the 40th parallel south that would provide coverage to New Zealand, Australia, Chile, and Argentina. Google hopes to eventually have thousands of balloons flying in the stratosphere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon

UFO hype is good cover for R&D and creates that viral buzz. Extraterrestrial misinformation campaigns are much more likely than Government coverups. Call it cynisism but I see this as a potential push for that The Atacama Giant travel and tourism revenu.

I firmly believe were not the only intelligent life-form in the universe, whether or not they are visiting us is still up for debate.

Since these threads run on speculation I will speculate. What happens to humanity if it's proven that aliens do exist? Does religion go straight out the window? What if they have their own religion? So many possibilities and variables that I'm kind of glad it hasnt happened.

Also, yes all other intelligent sspecies on earth are territorial beings however not every living thing evolves through only survival/conflict. Darwin's survival of the fittest was one of the things he got wrong when he developed the theory of natural selection.

However, who is to say that extraterrestrial life would bqe governed by the same rules of evolution/laws of physics that govern us?
That's the Fermi Paradox
I too believe there's life "out there" but I also believe it is impossible for intelligencies to physically cross intergalactic space. Maybe there could be some kind of other proof (radio signal, strange dimming from stars) but UFO's? No, UFO sightings are basically wish fulfillment. Psychologically it's quite interesting. But that's all.

I honestly believe that's one main reason why it hasn't been disclosed 100% because of religion. It seems to me, religion is what keeps people sane.

Ty4on

Good to see this though. But it is a bit terrifying that a UFO can shut down airports like in China, and people pretend that these things aren't threats to national security. Or hell, people pretend they aren't real even when its literally shutting down airtraffic because of how its not real.

That says more about China than UFOs...
elevatorinchina2.jpg

Randam

That tops the list of the UK/France/NZ/Mexico and others disclosing their information about the % of UFO's that aren't just the imagination of folks. Lovely, cant wait to see more. Either its aliens, or the military needs to come clean with its technology that seemingly defies physics. Either contact, or no more damned fossil fuels. These things sure as hell aren't using gas and lift.

Good to see this though. But it is a bit terrifying that a UFO can shut down airports like in China, and people pretend that these things aren't threats to national security. Or hell, people pretend they aren't real even when its literally shutting down airtraffic because of how its not real.

how old is that tag?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Darwin didn't get it wrong. He knew what "fitness" meant. You seem to lack the full understanding of it. And evolution governs all life everywhere. Even if somewhere out in the Cosmos an intelligent lifeform bends the rules to its own ends, evolution is still in play, It always will be, forever, as long as a lifeform exists. So long as there is metabolism and a means of replication there will always be evolution. It doesn't just go away because a being develops intelligence.

It's an interesting topic, worthy of more attention than just this drive-by post... but yeah, anyway, Darwin understood fitness.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

While this is an entertaining story, starting with "my notes on the subject are unavailable" and laughing doesn't make me inclined to believe him at all.

"I'm breaking world law by saying this."

"I got shot in my shoulder" *applause*

The new world order stuff makes it so hard to take his information at face value since it doesn't even match up with his main topic.

Yeah it's really hard for me to buy the "insiders" stories like this, they just sound so absurdly out there in terms of all the info presented and eventually begin sounding like ideas for a screenplay. I used to be heavily into all the ufology and abductee lore years ago, and I agree that a lot of the stuff can make for a fantastic story, but my skeptic eyes roll hard whenever I begin to hear the more outlandish stuff. For example, this Schneider guy says a Grey killed like 40 secret service and black beret dudes single handedly using god knows what, all because some security officer forgot he couldn't be armed around Greys. Jeez didn't that guy get the memo?

I do love all the super tech talk though, that's always been an addictive "what if" element to these stories. Also, subterranean bases in general are fascinating. And now I feel like playing Half Life again.

Raist

Banned
It's awesome of the UFOs to always stay at a range where they seem somewhat blurry. Or just show up as lights. I mean, they could fly a couple of hundred meters closer, but they respect the proper procedures.

I don't see how you can refute the idea of super-shy interstellar travellers.
Come on, disprove it now? Hmm? HMM?

That's what I thought.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Been listening to this for a long time and he just seems like someone who wants to incite revolution and is using alien conspiracies to feed that. He's even a geologist claiming that resource conservation is BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom