• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's birth rate has collapsed completely. 19.7m births were registered in 2012, compared to 7.8m births in 2023

NickFire

Can't deny there are rational arguments why this is bad for a country. Just can't get on board with the opinion(s). I think overpopulation is bigger risk to human society than shrinking tax bases. At least until Elon turns Mars into Earth 2.

Hugare

Chinese people working 18h a day and the government want they to come home and have sex?

This is a problem with the world right now, but to China it's really worrisome, 'cause its huge population is their main differential

Without cheap workers and a huge population China is fucked

thief183

Chinese people working 18h a day and the government want they to come home and have sex?

This is a problem with the world right now, but to China it's really worrisome, 'cause its huge population is their main differential

Without cheap workers and a huge population China is fucked
I've been there for a couple of months and I didn't notice this overwork thing, there was someone doing around 10 hours but it is no different from our 8:00 12:00 and 14:00 18:00.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Holy shit that is low. Western economies are not ready for the population shrinking this century will bring. The entire retirement model will become unsustainable pretty soon.

Last edited:

RedC

Holy shit that is low. Western economies are not ready for the population shrinking this century will bring. The entire retirement model will become unsustainable pretty soon.
Indeed, but with an aging population outnumbering the younger population, the aging population will try to maintain the status quo for them to benefit for as long as possible.

Mistake

Most chinese families really want kids. It's a big cultural thing over there, and parents push it pretty hard. But because of job pressures and rising costs, as well as children having to take care of parents (the men,) things are declining. It is also expected that men pay for everything. You have to offer the woman's family a dowry, like a down payment in goods or money before getting married. For the wedding costs I'm not entirely sure. Women there are also being a lot pickier now in who they marry, as they typically look for status or wealth. As an example, even during birthdays, it's not uncommon for people to look up the costs of their gifts online. For all their romantic comedies on TV, the culture is quite vain. Lastly, covid woke up a large chunk of the populace of how quick things can go to hell. Having a kid on top of that is not going to happen
I've been there for a couple of months and I didn't notice this overwork thing, there was someone doing around 10 hours but it is no different from our 8:00 12:00 and 14:00 18:00.
I've seen a lot of 10 hours with 6 days a week. Companies there are also not shy about harassing employees during their off hours with additional work. Smart phones actually made things a lot worse in that regard.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Actually studies show that people who don’t have kids by choice rarely regret it.
Until when though? I suspect it would take a very well designed study to capture folks who waited late in life to have kids (by choice) versus those that struggled, as well as those who had kids early (by choice and not) to seperate their feelings compared to lifelong no kids ntat did or did not regret it.

Personally I know some late 50's/early 60's couples that adopted late in life to fill that void, and I have several late 40's friends that seem happy with no kids (1 by choice, several possibly because no woman will have them?) but their opinion may change in 10-20 years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is also expected that men pay for everything. You have to offer the woman's family a dowry, like a down payment in goods or money before getting married. For the wedding costs I'm not entirely sure. Women there are also being a lot pickier now in who they marry, as they typically look for status or wealth.
LOL. Welcome to the real world Chinese dudes over there.

When I adjusted my online Match.com profile to show an income (I chose the $100-125k bracket at the time), my views counter shot up overnight, compared to the here and there views I'd get when I left that metric blank. They took away that metric around 5 years ago according to a google check.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

giphy.gif
I would like the chance.

hyperbertha

You're overanalysing mate. Take away peoples smartphones and birthrates would be back to normal in 1-2 years. I guarantee it.

People are way to distracted by pleasurable stuff these days. Take away those distractions and people will again start to seek meaning in their life through kids. It's a tale as old as time. That's why childless people often regret not having kids with age. It's when the pleasurable distractions become meaningless and hollow.
Hard disagree. Throughout the world over, poor people have bred at much higher rates than middle/upper class. Access to education/facilities/birth control etc play much bigger role than fucking smartphones.

hyperbertha

I was talking to a couple who both are my friends. They like to travel the world (even have a Instagram page for that) and often take 3-4 overseas trips per year. Its been about 5 years they've been married and all I hear is that they are not ready for kids as it would affect their travel. Recently the girl turned 35 so I thought I would ask them as a friend that they might miss out on life-changing and affirming thing called having children. I myself recently had a girl and I personally have not known a more joyous thing in life.

The answer she gave me was that they have about 6-7 bucket list places to go to still and only after that would they think of having children. Now I get that everyone has their own mindset and priorities but it boggles my mind that people cant see short-term vs long-term. They can always travel again a couple years after the baby, but having a baby will only get exponentially harder from now on as she will be nearing 40 soon. How can one compare traveling with having a baby? I mean sure traveling is great but having a baby is like giving meaning to one's life. Its what we are hard-wired to do, what we are created to do and is the greatest event in one's life.

Money is not an issue with them either. Both earn very well. I just didnt want to see them turn 40, having fulfilled the 'bucket list' of travel and yet lost forever on the greatest bucket list item life can give. But these days I keep seeing people who realize they actually DO want kids until its so late. Then they give it their all- money, efforts, doctors, medicines but that joy keeps eluding. Everything has a time and place but people these days have forgotten that.
Having children might be all you got going in life. Not necessarily true for others. Most people will choose pleasure and no responsibility.

Wildebeest

In rural societies, many children are a good thing because they are free workers and will support you when you are old. Not to mention high infant mortality, meaning that you have to roll the dice more often to get children who come to age. In urban societies, children are a financial liability who can destroy your finances and wreck career options.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

And is Africa still breeding like crazy? Population decrease can be a good thing for the planet, but only if it's happening all over the world.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's real easy to stop and change the decline in people having kids, the number one imo is make childcare costs free/next to nothing or pay the mother to stay at home and look after the kids. If the government makes having a kid up until they're self sufficient a cost free exercise along with additional benefits like tax breaks on housing with additional bedrooms etc... people will start bucking again

RedC

It's real easy to stop and change the decline in people having kids, the number one imo is make childcare costs free/next to nothing or pay the mother to stay at home and look after the kids. If the government makes having a kid up until they're self sufficient a cost free exercise along with additional benefits like tax breaks on housing with additional bedrooms etc... people will start bucking again
I don't necessarily think that would be enough.

Japan and South Korea are also projecting steep population declines.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Problem with this is that simple childcare isn't sufficient. Poor folks in the US already get paid to have kids. We need to encourage a nurturing, enriched childhood, that takes more than taxpayer supported childcare and some food stamps for cheese and formula. The goal should be fewer kids born in poverty and a sustainable care system for the ELDERLY, I feel like everything else will resolve itself with automation. If anything, it's the obesity crisis and chronic debilitating diseases crippling older adults that we need to worry about as that makes caring for them much more difficult and expensive.

Cyberpunkd

. If anything, it's the obesity crisis and chronic debilitating diseases crippling older adults that we need to worry about as that makes caring for them much more difficult and expensive.
What’s allowed in school in the US? Soda and chips.
What’s not allowed in school in France? Soda and chips.

Toots

Gold Member
Im just waiting for the the word from Xi (and a plane ticket of course), to go reverse the situation.
And im not even kidding so whatever chinese equivalent of NSA is reading me right now, pass the message to your boss ASAP so we can save your country

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Having children might be all you got going in life. Not necessarily true for others. Most people will choose pleasure and no responsibility.

All? Bold of you to make that assumption. But it has become a huge part, no doubt.

Anyway I responded to similar post earlier in case you are interested.

Toots

Gold Member
What’s allowed in school in the US? Soda and chips.
What’s not allowed in school in France? Soda and chips.
This is not the problem, there's been soda and sweets distributors for at least 20 years in French highschools.
Now who pays for the children meals in school in France ? and who does in the US ?

And if you start feeling cocky because we are oh so much better with our food, just read this and put your kids in an extracurricular sport activity if you don't want them to be obese in ten years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thats great for people who want more kids.

But not great for people who dont want kids. I dont. I'm already taxed to the grill as a single person who makes decent money and I get nothing back in tax deductions of any kind.

People who want kids should pay for them themselves. Just as I dont think parents would want to pay extra taxes to help out single people who are on their own get bonus tax breaks.

Top Bottom