• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese delicacy known as "Virgin Boy Eggs."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I realized I have had it after looking it up on wiki. I only know it by its Shanghainese pronunciation, which is something like "bee-dae".

Still yucky though.

suzu

Fucking gross.

I've never heard of it before, and neither have my parents. I wouldn't go renouncing my Chinese side now or something... it seems like it's some kind of random town's weird tradition. lol.

MutFox

Banned
I think I puked a little in my mouth hearing about this dish...

Next we'll hear that "2 Girls, 1 Cup"
is a culinary delicacy of the hard working indigenous people of, wherever...

Davidion

I realized I have had it after looking it up on wiki. I only know it by its Shanghainese pronunciation, which is something like "bee-dae".

Still yucky though.

As a matter of unfortunate coincidence, the Mandarin variant is actually "Pee-dan". For those who don't speak Chinese, Pee means skin, referring to the crust that the egg is often covered in during pickling; dan means egg.

And it's really not that salty. In fact they're not salty at all; it's an acrid flavor that's hard to describe in English since there are few to none comparable food items.

Don't make me revoke your Chinese card.

Haly

As a matter of unfortunate coincidence, the Mandarin variant is actually "Pee-dan". For those who don't speak Chinese, Pee means skin, referring to the crust that the egg is often covered in during pickling; dan means egg.

And it's really not that salty. In fact they're not salty at all; it's an acrid flavor that's hard to describe in English since there are few to none comparable food items.

I never had a Chinese card!

And the pinyin is pídàn so filthy westerners can't crack any jokes about it anyway!

(They'd probably pronounce it as "Pie Dan".)

Davidion

I never had a Chinese card!

And the pinyin is pídàn so filthy westerners can't crack any jokes about it anyway!

(They'd probably pronounce it as "Pie Dan".)

Exactly, plus the pee pun is like, right there.

That, and I'm also too lazy to look up how to type the accents.

Izick

ibzpwc11MHDWBC.gif

GavinGT

Banned

LOL "peed on".

xbhaskarx

Basins and buckets of boys' urine are collected from primary school toilets. It is the key ingredient in "virgin boy eggs", a local tradition of soaking and cooking eggs in the urine of young boys, preferably below the age of 10.

There is no good explanation for why it has to be boys' urine, just that it has been so for centuries.

The scent of these eggs being cooked in pots of urine is unmistakable as people pass the many street vendors in Dongyang who sell it, claiming it has remarkable health properties.

160909_o.gif

Urine is sterile and has barely anything to it. I don't know where they're getting these health benefits from.

I don't know I've heard worse, that Americans (unknowingly) eat meat from the groin regions of the animals because it's cheap.

Basins and buckets of boys' urine are collected from primary school toilets. It is the key ingredient in "virgin boy eggs", a local tradition of soaking and cooking eggs in the urine of young boys, preferably below the age of 10.

1783955-joker_not_sure_if_serious_super.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Urine is sterile and has barely anything to it. I don't know where they're getting these health benefits from.

I don't know I've heard worse, that Americans (unknowingly) eat meat from the groin regions of the animals because it's cheap.

Even though I despise pink slime it's still meat. This is excrement we are talking about!

If a cooked piece of meat falls on a piece of shit would you rather eat the meat or shit?

GavinGT

Banned

Urine isn't even sterile just as it's leaving the body. It sure as hell isn't sterile hours or days later.

I'm guessing like this:

Man 1: "Hey let's make some Tea Eggs."
Man 2: "We're out of tea leaves."
Man 1: "Well, what do we have?"

Man 1: "Hey let's make some Tea Eggs."
Man 2: "Yeah sure whatever dude."

*Some time later*

Man 2: "Hey, I made those Pee Eggs you wanted."
Man 1: "Pee Eggs. Huh."
Man 2: "Yep, fresh batch of Pee Eggs right here, just liked you wanted."
Man 1: "Oh. Um, the thing is...Well, the thing is Jeff, I asked for Tea Eggs."
Man 2: "Tea...Eggs?"
Man 1: "Tea Eggs. Yeah."
Man 2: "No, I-"
Man 1: "Pretty sure I asked for Tea Eggs Jeff. You see, I think what has happened here is that there has been a fundamental misunderstanding on your part of what I asked for, which has resulted in this apparent disparity between the request and what you have ultimately made. And what you have made, Jeff, appears to be some sort of egg dish that has been soaked in the urine of a prepubescent boy."
Man 2: "Oh my god. Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I could have sworn you said Pee Eggs"
Man 1: "No, no. I definitely said Tea Eggs.
Man 2: "Oh god I'm so ashamed Neil"
Man 1: "No, it's my fault, really. I should have expected this; the words do sound kind of similar."
Man 2: "I guess. Yeah, I guess they do. Well...I'll just have to throw these away then-"
Man 1: "Like motherfuck you will- I fucking love child piss you crazy bastard! Prepare the apparatus!"

Haly

The Chinese word for tea is "cha".

/partypooper

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
It's really interesting to me that the societies or cultures that weren't totally transformed by the introduction of the Abrahamic religions tend to have "weird" superstitions like this. Weird is in quotes because it is a relative term, yes?

To be honest, as disgusting as this may sound to people unfamiliar with it, it's relatively harmless on the list of weird superstitious or cultural beliefs. No person or animal is harmed by this so I can't really say much about it other than to say, it's not something I'd willingly choose to eat.

BHZ Mayor

Disgusting
Sick
Gross
Nauseating
Foul
Revolting

Add any other words you can think of. Then the fact that it's children just compounds the absolute grossness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom