• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese delicacy known as "Virgin Boy Eggs."

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really interesting to me that the societies or cultures that weren't totally transformed by the introduction of the Abrahamic religions tend to have "weird" superstitions like this. Weird is in quotes because it is a relative term, yes?

To be honest, as disgusting as this may sound to people unfamiliar with it, it's relatively harmless on the list of weird superstitious or cultural beliefs. No person or animal is harmed by this so I can't really say much about it other than to say, it's not something I'd willingly choose to eat.

Different cultures are different. It's only weird to you because it's a statistically anomalous behaviour in your culture. Abrahamic religions have plenty of weird superstitions. Don't Christians have bread and wine because it's related to the body and blood of Jesus Christ?

Fusebox

Banned
Chinese medical experts gave mixed reviews about the health benefits of the practice

Chinese medical experts gave mixed reviews about the health benefits of the practice

I question the medical expertise of anyone who is still on the fence over the health benefits of eating urine-soaked eggs.

Also, this sounds like some made up bullshit to me.

SyNapSe

I can kind of see why this would get started. It's one less thing you needed water for back in the day.

I don't get the thousand year old egg though. It takes even more time and work to prepare. Different strokes for different folks and all but China makes some crazy sounding dishes to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom