• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone has left Obsidian Entertainment

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What if he and Kojima joins forces.
Imagine: a Kojima game with actually good writing.

Yes, I'm sure this is it.

I..
I....
I........

I don't know how to handle this. Good luck on his new adventures and I will certainly throw money at whatever it is he decides to do?

I still love Obsidian even without him, but damn this has me dazed.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I think Avellone is the most talented writer in the industry and is a big contributor to why Obsidian is my favorite studio. That being said, I think they have plenty of other talent that this shouldn't hurt them too much.

I am definitely interested to see what he is doing next. Not sure what to think if he were to actually go to inXile (not that I think that will happen). I like the settings to their games, but their gameplay has always been weaker to me compared to Obsidian.

Denton

Imagine if he has been hired by Cd Projekt! :p

The universe would implode, too much talent in one place

This is why I wanted him at Obsidian, I wanted to have two brilliant RPG devs with great writers.

But at the same time, Obsidian spends a lot of time these days working on tank game and MMO, so maybe, just maybe, this will be a good thing. I hope so anyway.

Jhriad

Why? He didn't really write any of it in the first place from what we've heard.

Curious to see where he goes. He is a co-founder of Obsidian so I would assume he owns some major share of the company. If he is going to another company I wonder what exactly they can offer him compared to the company he's part owner of.

Because the potential for his writing existed in whatever content they created. Of course I enjoy Obsidian's work enough regardless of his involvement that I'm sure I'll give whatever it is they do next a look.

Dennis

Banned
From his LinkedIn account:

Creative Director/Chief Creative Officer/Co-Owner
Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.
June 2003 – May 2015 (12 years)

​

salute.gif

​

I ran this shit

Denton

Was under the impression he hates making cinematic AAA RPGs, would be surprised if he goes back to them after the Alpha Protocol fiasco.

What gave you that impression ?
If anything, I think he might hate doing it for shitty publishers like Zenimax or Sega, but with CDP he wouldn't have that problem.

Arulan

That's unexpected news. I just hope that he stays in the industry, and that wherever he goes he's allowed to fully express his creative talent.

Kinda hope he shows up at Bethesda or Bioware, but that doesn't seem likely at all.

I don't understand why an RPG enthusiast would want this. Both companies are willing to let game design suffer for mainstream appeal (one to a lesser extent than the other) and it has shown. Unless they're willing to hand him a budget and let him go crazy no-strings-attached, I'd much rather see him join a developer that is more concerned with cRPGs. inXile would be my first guess given the collaboration he has already made with them.

Actually, he conceptualized (and mostly wrote) the two companion characters which are also easily my favourites. It's pretty obvious when you play the game.

I couldn't agree with you more.
Durance and the Grieving Mother really stand out. Just imagine if they didn't have to be cut down.

Sijil

What gave you that impression ?
If anything, I think he might hate doing it for shitty publishers like Zenimax or Sega, but with CDP he wouldn't have that problem.

Just a feeling I got from his PoE kickstarter presentations, how he talked about AAA cinematic RPGs and so on. Again just a feeling.

I don't understand why an RPG enthusiast would want this. Both companies are willing to let game design suffer for mainstream appeal (one to a lesser extent than the other) and it has shown. Unless they're willing to hand him a budget and let him go crazy no-strings-attached, I'd much rather see him join a developer that is more concerned with cRPGs. inXile would be my first guess given the collaboration he has already made with them.

Because I love big budget AAA RPGs and am tired of them having shit stories and incredibly narrow characters.

wrowa

Here's hoping he'll end up at InXile. Avellone leaving the industry would be a tragic loss - and I can't picture him at Bethesda or Bioware either. Just feels like he wouldn't get any creative freedom there.

Fallout 4 written by Avellone would be awesome, though...

Anyway, it's a shame that he's no longer at Obsidian. I really hoped that he get to make a new RPG there.

Shengar

Not like this Chris, not like this.
I wonder what happened and why he left all of the sudden. I'm kinda worried on Obsidian future, but there are still pretty talented people staying.
Whatever Chris's new goal is, I'm sure it'll be worth it. Godspeed Chris, you need it.

Conezays

Best of luck to him, but what happened? Loved what was going on with Pillars of Eternity, what we've seen of Torment, etc...

"I'm off to teach developers and players that 'mimicking direct-to-video potboilers' does not make your work or tastes mature".

But are they ready to hear it? Are they ready for the man who will walk into their meeting room, grab the white board that says "Protagonist = inducted into some kind of powerful peacekeeping order?", and throw it to the ground?

Given what we know of the DA and ME writing teams, he'd have to hate himself.

dr_rus

​

12 years is a lot of time. He may have left simply because it was time to move on.

"I'm off to teach developers and players that 'mimicking direct-to-video potboilers' does not make your work or tastes mature".

Given what we know of the DA and ME writing teams, he'd have to hate himself.

They have new IP too. Seems far fetched, but it would be much better for him to have control of some project from the (sort-of) beginning.

I'm fine with this as long as someone uses him as a lead. In the three major Kickstarter projects(PoE, W2, Torment) he has been absolutely wasted thus far. He's the entire reason I backed the first two, and they still made him a side thought(and still the best part).

Any publisher/ dev will get a purchase from me with this card on their hands. But something tells me he is going out of the industry for a while to write a book or something like that.

I'm fine with this as long as someone uses him as a lead. In the three major Kickstarter projects(PoE, W2, Torment) he has been absolutely wasted thus far. He's the entire reason I backed the first two, and they still made him a side thought(and still the best part).

Hopefully he was lured out with the promise of being a lead or creative director for some team. I guess there's a chance he could end up somewhere on a new Star Wars RPG.

Sober

This is too bad, but I wish him well on his next projects.

I also think Obsidian has enough talent to carry on even without Avellone.
Yeah, I'm of the same mind. 12 years at Obsidian is a long time to be doing something like he was. If he leaves gaming, I think I'll be fine with that, honestly.

Hopefully he was lured out with the promise of being a lead or creative director for some team. I guess there's a chance he could end up somewhere on a new Star Wars RPG.

As much as I believe a new SW RPG with him as lead would be amazing, I can't fathom any studio allowing him to write characters with depth like Durance and Grieving Mother in their AAA title. New projects are my hope. I don't even care if its an RPG. Deep character writing and conversations can be the core and focus of a different sort of project.

Zweizer

Banned
I don't know you're a fan of Avellone. You're absolutely not the type of person whom I imagined into Avellone's stuff.

Hey now! I'll have you know I love well-written games as much as I love smut!

Planescape: Torment is my favorite game of all time~

Top Bottom