• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone has left Obsidian Entertainment

Durante

Oh here, an article about inXile picking up the Van Buren trademark: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-inxile-fallout-van-buren-trademark
Interesting.
Very interesting.

Though perhaps MCA might prefer to create something entirely new rather than working in an existing setting. Then again, maybe not.

At least it looks like he will stay in gaming, that's the most important thing.

Would love to see him working at Larian...
A game with Larian mechanics and Avellone writing would honestly be too amazing. It's a public health risk.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
16911640056_efef9d59c1_o.gif

Herla

Well this is awful, alright.

I'd say "I'll look forward to whatever is going to do next", but I feel that any place that's not InXile would be a huge disappointment to me. And while a Ziets+Avellone game would be incredibly exciting, it still wouldn't make much sense to leave Obsidian...

Is he one of the original Fallout devs?

Fallout 2, yeah. Also, he was on the original Interplay FO3, Van Buren, which Fargo already said he's doing something with in collaboration with Avellone. Odds are he's going to at least work with inXile on that, but seems there's a chance now he'll be going there full-time.

krYlon

So, I'm going to jump to conclusions and expect InXile's next kickstarter to be:

Wasteland 3: Van Buren

With Avellone as lead.

m_dorian

I am not worried. No Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor lasted for more than a year, so he ll be back soon.
/jk

Best of luck to him anyway, i am sure he ll give us a great new game.

Alastor3

Why would he move to InXile seriously ?? Even if he is related to them, Obsidian have waayy more presence than InXile with all their past games

Sudden opening as DADA, eh.

I'll miss his work; he's made a lot of great games. I wish him the best, though I selfishly hope he'll continue working on projects that I can enjoy.

The Generation of the RPG must continue.

lonely

Why would he move to InXile seriously ?? Even if he is related to them, Obsidian have waayy more presence than InXile with all their past games

I know what you mean, some of the stories I've heard from people involved with InXile during the development of Hei$t don't paint the picture of a competent studio.

Chris Avellone is going to be the lead designer / writer for inXile's Van Buren. Mark my words.

Fallout 3 the way it was supposed to be with a couple of story and name changes here and there.

Has inXile actually made anything that's giving people all these hopes in their abilities? I feel like they only really became a thing when they Kickstarted a Torment successor, not because of anything they've accomplished. (Granted, I've only played Wasteland 2 but that hasn't reinforced my belief in their abilities. They've got heart and ideas, but little else.)

Vlodril

Has inXile actually made anything that's giving people all these hopes in their abilities? I feel like they only really became a thing when they Kickstarted a Torment successor, not because of anything they've accomplished. (Granted, I've only played Wasteland 2 but that hasn't reinforced my belief in their abilities. They've got heart and ideas, but little else.)

i really liked wasteland 2. that has given me personally some belief in their ablities. enough to back bard's tale 4 although i am not a huge fan of the genre.

graywolf323

Clearly he's joining King!

More seriously, some guesses:
1.) Full time freelancing
2.) Denius-Sams Gaming Academy at the University of Texas at Austin
3.) Switching to novel writing

#1 would actually be pretty nice depending on who would bring him in, be awesome if he got to write for Bioware/Bethesda/etc.

#3 well I'd definitely check out his books

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
If I had to guess: more creative freedom.

But at Obsidian he was the Creative Director/Chief Creative Officer, as well as a Co-Owner. How much more creative freedom could he really be given? Unless it is just that he didn't want the added responsibilities those titles probably came with.

ColdRose

Will very much miss my favourite writer at one of my favourite game studios. All the very best of luck to Chris, wherever he goes and whatever he does. I'm sad :(

Wasteland 2 was alright, better than most other new rpg's i've played over the last decade and definetly enough to make me hopeful for their future.
I wouldn't call it great though. There's a lot of room for improvement.

Thinking a bit outside the box maybe he's joining a major AAA studio but not doing an RPG. I can see someone wanting to compete with Naughty Dog on a story level in the 3rd or 1st person space and hiring Avellone as a creative lead.

Alastor3

A game with Larian mechanics and Avellone writing would honestly be too amazing. It's a public health risk.

That won't happen. Given that Larian almost lost everything with Divinity OS (hopefully it was succesfull), that would be too risky for Avellone to more there and I don't see why he would, their styles of writing and humor are completely different

Nairume

Banned
But at Obsidian he was the Creative Director/Chief Creative Officer, as well as a Co-Owner. How much more creative freedom could he really be given? Unless it is just that he didn't want the added responsibilities those titles probably came with.
Seems like a potential problem is that, despite being in a position to where he should have creative freedom, he might not actually be getting able to flex that power due to Obsidian still working through their existing contracts before they can start really focus entirely on projects like PoE.

inXile may not be able to offer him the same amount of freedom on paper, but they might be able to offer more in reality.

inXile may not be able to offer him the same amount of freedom on paper, but they might be able to offer more in reality.

Shouldn't most of the Torment writing be done by now? They are kicking off The Bard's Tale using a lot of the Wasteland 2 team. So unless Bard's Tale is using him as lead writer (which seems kind of a waste of talent) then it doesn't seem like InXile would have much for him to do at least until Torment is out the door.

Nairume

Banned
Shouldn't most of the Torment writing be done by now? They are kicking off The Bard's Tale using a lot of the Wasteland 2 team. So unless Bard's Tale is using him as lead writer (which seems kind of a waste of talent) then it doesn't seem like InXile would have much for him to do at least until Torment is out the door.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Fargo's been teasing that they are wanting to revive Van Buren, as well as another really neat sounding CRPG based around time travel that Interplay canceled back in the day.

Including and beyond those, it's pretty believable that whatever inXile has in the pipeline might be much more interesting to him than what Obsidian is going to be working on for the next few years.

Nairume

Banned
That would be great but I would prefer he works on the game he really wants to or make something new instead of having to salvage someone else's game.
I don't really see why Fallout wouldn't be something he'd want to work on, especially if he'd be able to do so in a capacity that wasn't just contract work.

He's clearly still interested in that kind of game.

Irobot82

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Besides Tim Cain who else is left behind at Obsidian Entertainment as a former Interplay Entertainment Employee?

The other Chris. Chris Johnes Chris Parker, Darren Monahan, Of Course Feargus, and Josh Sawyer. There a ton still there.

Top Bottom