• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Pranger, Out-Spoken Nintendo Treehouse Localizer, was Fired

Iksenpets

Banned
He shouldn't have spoken so bluntly about business decisions that are most likely above his pay grade , but firing seems harsh, unless there were other problems with him we aren't privy to. That seems more like a stern-talking-to-and-keep-away-from-public-appearances-from-now-on sort of offense.

weekev

Banned
That sucks, I liked the podcast, he was pretty on point for a lot of what he said but I guess it could be seen as bringing the company into disrepute, hope the guy can find another job thats half as good as the one he had.

Hero

Don't think he deserves to be fired but he definitely needed to be trained on how to speak in social media. Hope he lands on his feet.

BiggNife

And now we will never have another podcast from Nintendo ever again. Thanks Gaf. Thank you so much for your disgusting behavior.

Yes this is all gaf's fault

Gaf called this guy and was like hey you wanna be on a podcast and he said sure and then we all made fun of him

It was all part of our master plan to destroy Nintendo

Somnid

You really need to watch yourself when speaking about your employer, especially now when things easily get away from you. People don't seem to realize that if something gets caught by social media it's devastating. Speak vaguely and anonymously if you absolutely have to.

Mandelbo

Firing him was a bit extreme. I'm surprised they just didn't do what they did with Dan Adelman and prevent him from using twitter or going on any more podcasts.

wrowa

not really surprised to be honest. it probably violates a lot of ndas that were signed as nintendo is ultra secretive.

still think the dude could have gotten a slap on the wrist instead. pretty shitty on noa's part.

I imagine that NCL had a say in this as well. His explanation why Nintendo uses the "New" moniker all the time, didn't put them in a nice light.

Levyne

Banned
I can't even imagine what it would be like to have 100,000+ hanging over my head in student debt. Very glad I managed to avoid that.

Darrenf

Poor guy. He didn't deserve to be fired. That Facebook post is depressing. I can't imagine having 100 grand in student debt.

K.Sabot

GAF did nothing but illuminate the podcast and state their optinions on it from what I observed, I don't see anything wrong or mobbish about that.

Razzorn34

I disagreed with what he said, but NOA firing him for defending their decisions is mind boggling.

It has nothing to do with that. He gave insight on the inner workings of the company he worked for without consent. Um, you can't really do that. Not to mention the whole thing was "from the heart" rather than the canned responses that the company would have liked.

This was for his job, not just some random rambling off the clock. You can't work for a company and do that. Anyone who thinks so definitely needs a reality check.

Ninja Dom

You publicly go out (on a podcast) and speak negatively or even disclose classified information about your company??

What do you think is gonna happen??

Kinsei

Banned
I understand that he broke NDA, but this seems a bit harsh considering what it is he did say. Hopefully he finds a new job soon.

Nightbird

On the other Hand, that really puts into perspective how other Nintendo Employees like Reggie at E3 tend to talk only in a extremely positive PR-Style about their stuff.

This is what happens, you do anything else

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Going to college

Entirely depends on the school and residency.

I read the guys comments. They were. . .beyond stupid. NINTENDO is a corporation. They do not care about off-message truth telling. Period. Hard lesson to learn sure, but better to learn it now then much much later.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
If you work in the industry, you can't speak unfortunate truths to gamers. Not a group that takes kindly to any sort of criticism.

Mockery = didnt put it in the nicest, gentlest, most validating way possible
There is a big difference between giving straight, harsh answers and doing dorky voices to represent your fan's opinions. His argument wouldn't have changed in the slightest without basically calling your fans nerds.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Interesting bit. He says Nintendo's media policy has recently changed regarding employees being more open about talking about their work but not spoilers or anything. That's probably why he can even do this podcast.
WELP

javac

You really need to watch yourself when speaking about your employer, especially now when things easily get away from you. People don't seem to realize that if something gets caught by social media it's devastating. Speak vaguely and anonymously if you absolutely have to.

But then everybody gets called a PR puppet, but I guess getting mocked by GAF and other websites for being a PR puppet is better then getting fired.

Can't say I feel for him. It's like he was actively trying to be removed from his dream job.

Nintendo has no issue with podcasts. Bill Trinen (also of the Nintendo treehouse) recently appeared on IGN's Nintendo podcast. Pranger overstepped his boundaries and he knows it. All for a pretty terrible podcast.

What was so terrible about it? I found it pretty interesting

He represented the company he works for poorly in a very public way. While it sucks, he has no one to blame but himself (which he himself said).

GAF didn't get him fired.

Yup. Seems like a lot of people, both young and old, really don't understand that when you talk in any kind of capacity that highlights your job, you can very easily say and do things that will get you fired.

It's just that now, it's much easier to do that via social media.

I'm still trying to understand how this dude has that much debt, but I'm guessing the answer is similar to why he got fired: poor decision making.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is sure going to help with Nintendo's image.

What a terrible thing. I had a feeling something might happen as a result of that Podcast. Why the hell did he agree to speak on there in the first place? I don't get it. I was cringing while listening to the damn thing. You just don't do this kind of stuff.

I really feel bad for him, though.

I work for a large corporation and it's instilled in every employee that you can't speak for the company in media interviews without permission.

This guy must have lost his mind!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
It sucks but he probably had an NDA and broke it. That's why they exist and that's how business works. I feel bad for him, definitely, but that's how this works. His bad.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
if i launched that podcast i would absolutely feel like a piece of shit.
making someone losing it's job over my podcast.

chris pranger i know why you said what you did and people abused your honest comment!

i hope you find a better job in the future!

Geg

Really awful and harsh that he got fired over that even if I didn't like his tone. Best wishes to him.

cireza

I can understand Nintendo's decision. This interview was a joke. You should choose your words more wisely when talking about your company. Especially if you like your company.

MrS

Banned
Given how public his dismissal has been and how he broke NDA, is it realistic for him to look for another job in the industry?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I imagine that NCL had a say in this as well. His explanation why Nintendo uses the "New" moniker all the time, didn't put them in a nice light.
That sucks. When I listened to the podcast and he described the way Sakurai works and how he portrayed him I already had a bad feeling.. Because that isn't Nintendo like and he kinda made him sound like a crazy person.

As a big Nintendo fan this news saddens me, just a person trying to shine some light on some issues Nintendo fans have with the companies... And that's what he gets as a reward.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nintendo was never going to tolerate a low level employee both insulting their customers and discussing controversial internal decisions.

The stuff he said sounded like someone who had either left the company already or wanted to be fired, it was incredibly naive.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Given how public his dismissal has been and how he broke NDA, is it realistic for him to look for another job in the industry?

I wouldn't touch him at the same style of position. How do you explain to a board of directors "We picked up this guy to do this thing he got fired for doing wrong"

He'll figure something out, but he no longer has his home.

if i launched that podcast i would absolutely feel like a piece of shit.
making someone losing it's job over my podcast.

chris pranger i know why you said what you did and people abused your honest comment!

i hope you find a better job in the future!

Fun fact, I used to run Part Time Gamers and own parttimegamers.com Guess these are the guys I sold it too...

Jito

Banned
Sucks for him but what did he expect making comments like that about the fans? It's hard to feel that sorry for someone shooting them self in the foot.

Top Bottom