• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chuck versus the NeoGAF - The Official Season 3 Thread - Mondays on NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
man, I really need to finish off season 2. Still only halfway through.

I love watching it too, but I just can't get through it.

Super excited for this, firstly because it's the first premiere of a show I like this year and secondly because I only finished season 2 in Mid December (didn't like the pilot the first time I saw it two years ago but started watching it again with my dad and fell in love especially with Sarah!).
Hoping the ratings are decent for the show this year as it really hit it's stride in season 2 and has become my favourite "fun" show next to Burn Notice.

Amazon hasn't shipped my S2 BRD yet, but it should be coming soon. Does anyone have theirs yet? (from any source)

Alan Sepinwall's comments:
Sepinwall said:
Chuck vs. the season 2 DVD
Monday, January 04, 2010

"Chuck" comes back on Sunday night (I gave a few early thoughts on the new episodes last month), which means purchasers of the "Chuck: The Complete Second Season" DVD set (which hits stores and places like Amazon tomorrow) will only have a few days to dive through the 22 episodes to get up to speed for the new batch. (In fairness to Warner Bros., the release date was set back when everyone assumed season three wouldn't begin until March, and I don't know how easy it is to change course at the last minute.)

My review copy was one of the limited-edition ones, which includes the 3-D version of "Chuck vs. the Third Dimension" as well as two pairs of 3-D glasses so that you and your special lady or gentleman friend can watch it together. Having just seen "Avatar," it's hard to be as impressed by effects like a knife flying at the screen or Big Mike's donut moving towards his mouth, but the episode itself remains fun.

And that's my sum feeling about the set in general. The special features are interesting to varying degrees, but the real draw is 22 episodes of one of the most purely fun seasons of TV I've ever had the pleasure to watch and review.

As to the other features, my favorite was probably "Dude in Distress," a breakdown of how they put together the show's stunts (with an extended look at Sarah and Nicole Richie's shower smackdown in "Chuck vs. the Cougars"), but there are also deleted scenes from most episodes (nothing plot-heavy from what I saw; mostly it's jokes that got cut for time), the webisodes about the Buy More staff that ran early last year, a funny gag reel (if you like that sort of thing; if nothing else, it's a rare opportunity to see the usually serious Yvonne Strahovski smiling and laughing), a more general behind-the-scenes featurette, and a couple of funny sequences where Captain Awesome and Casey separately offer tips on how to deal with everyday problems like job interviewing, first dates and going to your high school reunion.

But, again, I was much happier to just have a permanent copy of episodes like "Chuck vs. the Santa Claus" or "Chuck vs. the Colonel" than I was to play with the bonus features. This is going to become one of my go-to DVD sets whenever I'm having a sick day. (Which I'm hoping today doesn't turn into.)

I have pumped myself way too much for this. I really can't wait for the new episodes, and have been rewatching them for the last week.

I just really hope they shit or get off the pot this season with Sarah and Chuck. Or at least spread it out more, or something. And I kinda hope only half of the season has to do with "The Circle," cause I think they were really stretching out the idea of Fulcrum last season. How many rogue agents can there really be? I suspect that it will help that its only a half season though.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Why didn't I think of this before?

2mdgm76_th.jpg

genius. No one has this right?

Episode 4 logline is up and has been posted in the OP. Big spoilers in it, so highlight at your own risk.

GoutPatrol said:
No one has this right?
Haven't seen anyone use it yet. One of my favorites. :D

Nightz

Cornballer said:
Amazon hasn't shipped my S2 BRD yet, but it should be coming soon. Does anyone have theirs yet? (from any source)
My blu-ray from Amazon shipped out on Thursday. UPS is saying it'll be delivered today. :D

TehOh said:
Lame. Mine still hasn't shipped either, and I'm a prime member.
Me too! We're getting hosed, but it was doubtful that I'd be able to tear through all of S2 before Sunday in any case.

Tashi0106 said:
I gotcha covered

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/tashi0106/2vblk48-1.gif[IMG]

I think I might re-watch some Chuck episodes as well. It's been a really long time since I saw the season 2 finale.[/QUOTE]
Excellent thank you sir!
[SPOILER]*secret haloGAF handshake*[/SPOILER]

Amazon just shipped my BRD copy via USPS. Should be here on Saturday - strange that the Amazon Prime didn't work and send it 2-day. :/

adg1034

if4ztx.jpg

Yes, crappy cell phone pic, but it's here.

Four glorious discs, but... Oh, shit. No 3D glasses.

Time to contact Amazon/Warner Brothers. I needs my flying Cheerios fix.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I am also a Prime member and my season 2 Blu-Ray set just shipped about an hour ago. I am not too worried about it since that is normally when Amazon sends new movies to me and they almost always arrive on the Tuesday launch.

Baker

Banned
I just wanted to check in and say hi. I haven't read this thread or the season two one in months because of all the minor spoilers. I want to go into this completely fresh.

I finished like my fourth watch of season one last week and will hopefully get through the rewatch of part two before Sunday.

Edit: Speaking of Amazon Prime... my last two release date orders got fucked up in the UPS system and showed up a day late. Every xmas present I ordered showed up on time, it was just pre-ordered release date stuff that screwed up. Coincidence? I guess I'll know tomorrow when Chuck and Bayonetta are supposed to be in my door.

Double Edit: Is there nothing on the box art that even says it's Season Two?

Costanza

Banned
adg1034 said:
if4ztx.jpg

Yes, crappy cell phone pic, but it's here.

Four glorious discs, but... Oh, shit. No 3D glasses.

Time to contact Amazon/Warner Brothers. I needs my flying Cheerios fix.
fuuuuck, mine better have the glasses.

Baker said:
Edit: Speaking of Amazon Prime... my last two release date orders got fucked up in the UPS system and showed up a day late. Every xmas present I ordered showed up on time, it was just pre-ordered release date stuff that screwed up. Coincidence? I guess I'll know tomorrow when Chuck and Bayonetta are supposed to be in my door.
Same here. I think it's only happened twice to me, both times on pre-orders (Chuck S2 DVD & MW2)

New Chuck app for the iPhone
Chuck now has its own iPhone app! Get your Chuck on with the ‘Chuck Me Out’ app, which allows you to insert your own photo into various Chuck graphics and share them with your friends via Twitter, Facebook and more. Head over to iTunes to download.

Costanza

Banned
Yeah, Amazon's release date delivery on Blu-rays is totally broken for me too. The stuff goes out on Monday every time (should be Friday) so it doesn't come till Wednesday.

Found a solution - email Amazon on the Saturday before release, say your item didn't ship and ask for free overnight upgrade because it's not going to come on release otherwise. Always works.

ollin

My BD set is processing and probably won't arrive till next week. Any comments on the video quality. The 1st season blu ray set was a disappointment and I'm hoping for some improvements.

ollin

Screaming_Gremlin said:
That is disappointing. Sounds like the video quality is about the same as the first season, with which I was not terribly impressed.
ughhh I'm watching the first season BD sets right now and to me it looks worse then the broadcast HD version. I'll just have to remember not to delete the episodes I DVR.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
That is disappointing. Sounds like the video quality is about the same as the first season, with which I was not terribly impressed.

Hmm. I was gonna grab the blu tomorrow, but reading that I might save some money and get the DVD instead.

Lame. Just ordered both Blus. Anyways at least I've never seen the show, so I'm hoping I enjoy the show itself. Gotta burn through them fast.

The only main benefit I am thinking with the BluRay is a smaller shelf footprint, and I have to swap discs less since it is only on 4 discs. But if the video quality is that mediocre, then I will just settle on the regular DVD. Then at least I can rip it for my iPod.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
My amazon release date copy shipped. Never had problems getting my blu rays on release date. They always ship late Monday via UPS and I get them early morning Tuesday.

Sucks about the missing 3D glasses, thankfully I held on to to the ones from the Superbowl.

edit- wait the episode in 3d is missing as well :\

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Costanza said:
another person saying their S2 bluray didn't have the 3D episode - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248284

starting to think none of the Amazon copies do, which is fucking lame as shit.

Saw this on blu-ray.com

"One episode of Chuck was aired in 3-D, and the 3-D version is included as a special feature."

It's got to be in the extra's or something :\ The glasses missing is f-ed up. Wonder how amazon/warners will deal with it.

So psyched for this. I watched season 1 way back when it was still on tv and I'm just now finishing up season 2 in preparation for the premiere of 3. <3 Chuck

adg1034

Can't find the 3D episode anywhere. Looks like Warner fucked up?

I'm using PowerDVD to watch these. Once it gets past the opening warnings, etc, it goes to one big long play of all the episodes right next to each other. The top menu is just a big list of all the deleted scenes on the disc along with a "Resume episode" button. The episode is not listed in the included booklet. The episode is not on the fourth disc.

Warner fucked up.

Matrix

Costanza said:
Well, the 3D stuff was supposed to be exclusive to the first printing only. It's not a standard special feature.

Still makes me think the episode is on the last disc under special features and won't be on any future pressings. The episode in non-3d I assume is still there. Has anyone who has it checked yet?

The 3d glasses missing is still f-ed up.

edit- fuck me nm..... Warners way to go :(

Baker

Banned
Costanza said:
Yeah, Amazon's release date delivery on Blu-rays is totally broken for me too. The stuff goes out on Monday every time (should be Friday) so it doesn't come till Wednesday.

Found a solution - email Amazon on the Saturday before release, say your item didn't ship and ask for free overnight upgrade because it's not going to come on release otherwise. Always works.
They always ship my release date stuff overnight even though you technically select the 2-day shipping option. I mean, they physically get the packages out, UPS just seems to have a problem following through. I can't remember what the last two fuck ups were (Paranormal Activity and uhh Star Trek maybe) but they were both "rescheduled" by UPS after making it to Illinois.

Random side note everyone probably knew two years ago: I was watching one of the extras on S1 and Captain Awesome was originally going to be Russian spy so they could write him out early. Viewers liked him so the writers kept him around as a normal dude.

Baker

Banned
I'm heading to bed but I just wanted to add to the 3D conspiracy.

"Research" done at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Chuck-Season-2/12873

This release will feature a limited edition version of the 3D episode that aired on 2/2/09, along with 2 pairs of 3D glasses (available on initial ship only)! This episode will NEVER be aired in 3D again, and can ONLY be seen in 3D on the DVD!
CLARIFICATION: the above quote from Warner only mentions the DVD format. We've confirmed with the studio that it's for the initial printing of both formats, DVD and Blu-ray Disc. So feel free to go high-def, and still get 3-D!

Ok, now check out the back of the boxes...

DVD:
282zr6.jpg

Bluray:
2afh2yo.jpg

Ok, first off, notice the typo in the number of discs on the Bluray version. It is supposed to be four.

The real kicker though? Check out the runtimes. The DVD is 48 minutes longer.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm seriously thinking about hedging my bet and just grabbing the DVD rather than the Blu Ray of this show. Makes it easier to share with other people, and I have the first season on DVD and it wasn't all that bad. Hm.

whytemyke said:
I'm seriously thinking about hedging my bet and just grabbing the DVD rather than the Blu Ray of this show. Makes it easier to share with other people, and I have the first season on DVD and it wasn't all that bad. Hm.

I think I'm going to do this too. I figure I'll want to be able to watch on my smaller bedroom TV as well when I want some comfort viewing. Especially if the BD quality isn't stellar.

Baker

Banned
Chuck S2 is actually on time for delivery today, yippie. However, it looks like UPS fucked up yet again because Bayonetta is stuck in Kentucky.

Edit: Sweet. The tracking shit was just 2.5+ hours late in updating so Bayonetta is on time too. Does anyone know what the lowest preorder price for S2 bluray ended up being? It's listed as 54.99 in my order but I'm pretty sure it dropped to at least 45 for awhile.

Nightz

Baker said:
Does anyone know what the lowest preorder price for S2 bluray ended up being? It's listed as 54.99 in my order but I'm pretty sure it dropped to at least 45 for awhile.
Got mine for $47.99 I believe.

- Good to see the Chuck iPhone app has some limited potential for amusement.
- Yvonne Strahovski interview *spoilers*
- E!Online lists Chuck as it's #2 tv premiere in 2010 *spoilers*
- Promo pics for the first 4 episodes from ChuckTV.net *not really any spoilers*

Baker said:
Does anyone know what the lowest preorder price for S2 bluray ended up being? It's listed as 54.99 in my order but I'm pretty sure it dropped to at least 45 for awhile.
Lowest I saw was $44.99 yesterday.

TehOh

Cornballer said:
Lowest I saw was $44.99 yesterday.

My S2 blu ray was $39.99. I preordered around Black Friday, when it was only $1 more than the DVD.

Speaking of, my copy just came to the door. I'll check for the 3D episode.

ollin

TehOh said:
My S2 blu ray was $39.99. I preordered around Black Friday, when it was only $1 more than the DVD.

Speaking of, my copy just came to the door. I'll check for the 3D episode.
Yeah I got mine for $38 when it was my gold box.

Baker

Banned
Sounds like it just might be an amazon problem with the no-3D nonsense. This just got posted on blu-ray.com's forums (by a junior :D )

Replacement copy from Amazon was the same on the outside so didn't bother to open it. Just went to Best Buy--all 4 copies on the shelf had 2 stickers--one for the 3D glasses/episode and 1 for some BB exclusive comic book inside the slipcover--pricematched with Target (only saves $1 as rang in at $45.99)--same as Amazon's current price--but hopefully there will be another price drop within 30 days--one advantage of BB. Will just be sending back both copies to Amazon and keep the BB one--less than a week to watch before the new season starts.

Sweet, sounds like the price was lower than I thought.

iFMagazine with a reminder about the Chuck marathon on SyFy:
iFMagazine said:
SYFY CELEBRATES 'CHUCK' SEASON THREE WITH AN EIGHT-HOUR CHUCK-A-THON!
Watch eight hours worth of back-to-back CHUCK episodes on Thursday, Jan. 7
By JASON SWEARINGEN, News Editor
Published 1/5/2010

THE SKINNY: Just a friendly reminder to all our beloved CHUCK-o-holics out there - SyFy will be airing back-to-back episodes from Season Two of CHUCK for EIGHT, count them, EIGHT consecutive hours on Jan. 7.

The eightfold slew of episodes being aired in SyFy's CHUCK-a-thon have been hand picked by CHUCK creators Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedakwill as their "best of" episodes for Season Two and will conclude with the finale episode "CHUCK VERSUS THE RING".

And while surely you don't need us to tell you at this point, we'll do it anyway - Season Three of CHUCK premieres on Sunday, Jan. 10! Don't miss it!
Related Articles

Below is SyFy's CHUCK Marathon schedule for Thursday, Jan. 7.
5PM "CHUCK VERSUS THE FIRST DATE" (Season Two Premiere)
6PM "CHUCK VERSUS THE SEDUCTION"
7PM "CHUCK VERSUS THE BREAK-UP"
8PM "CHUCK VERSUS THE SANTA CLAUS"
9PM "CHUCK VERSUS THE PREDATOR"
10PM "CHUCK VERSUS THE DREAM JOB"
11PM "CHUCK VERSUS THE COLONEL"
12AM "CHUCK VERSUS THE RING" (Season Two Finale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom