• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines Modding Thread: There's a Mod for That

spiritfox

Updated: April 3

I trawl the depths of the Steam Workshop so you don't have to.

TotalyMoo's Steam Collections:
Paradox's community manager TotalyMoo has created several collections if you just want to get to the good stuff.

Mods:
Mods will disable Steam Achievements unless you use this: Mod Achievement Enabler.

General:
Visuals:
UI:
Balance Changes:
  • Proper Hardness: Game too easy? NOT ANYMORE.
  • PopBalanceMod: Rebalances the population numbers of buildings, so that smaller buildings hold less and larger buildings hold more. Also makes some balance changes regarding water/electricity consumption, garbage accumulation and income of different buildings.
  • Building Simulation Overhaul: An extensive modification of zoned buildings and how they develop. Leveling up is generally more difficult.
  • New Game Plus (NG+) (configurable): Adjust your starting values, and unlocks various transit options at the start.
  • Configurable Transport Capacity: No more tiny buses and trains. You need to recreate your lines in existing cities for it to take effect.
  • Control Building Level Up: Prevents your nice little townhouses from being replaced with ugly glass skyscrapers.
  • Infinite Oil And Ore: Causes Oil and Ore production buildings to never run out of resources.
Chirpy:
Beta Mods:
A little buggy, but works otherwise. Use at your own risk.

Buildings:
There are 2 different types of buildings: growables randomly rise in their corresponding zoned areas, while ploppables are built by you. Buildings (and other assets) do not disable Steam Achievements, which is weird since there are already cheat buildings...

Users You Should Follow:
Generally these users create great stuff and you should follow them and get their stuff.
Ploppables:
Growables:
Note that there currently is a bug that limits the amount of custom growables per type and level to 8.

Maps:
I haven't tried all the maps so they might not be fun to play in.

Color Correction LUTs:
Basically, filters for the game. You can change them at any time in game in the graphics options.

Jintor

No Chiry link to reddit mod? :(

I have to probably reinstall it, it seems to be linked to showerthoughts still on mine

Corgi

Banned
subbed.

holy shit... didn't realize that road upgrade tool allowed direction changing. mins wasted redoing my highways :(

Durante

Extended road upgrade and automatic bulldoze are small additions but huge time savers that really should make it into the base game.

Extended road upgrade and automatic bulldoze are small additions but huge time savers that really should make it into the base game.

Road upgrade definitely, but I strongly disagree about automatic bulldoze. It just makes you miss problems with your city. Why do you have so many abandoned buildings in the first place? :p

ps: you can see the reason why a building was abandoned if you select the building and hover over the abandoned icon.

Durante

Road upgrade definitely, but I strongly disagree about automatic bulldoze. It just makes you miss problems with your city. Why do you have so many abandoned buildings in the first place? :p

ps: you can see the reason why a building was abandoned if you select the building and hover over the abandoned icon.
I know why I have abandoned buildings, it's because my people are too well-educated to work menial jobs in industry :p
But I don't really want to raze each industrial building manually in my slow transition to offices.

flohen95

Oh god that Cologne Map. Someone needs to do that for the Bonn area and for Frankfurt and I'd die a happy man.

Also, seeing that map, I may have to think about getting the game earlier than I originally wanted to. It's kinda hard to justify since it's a PC game and I don't really play games on PC, and then there's the fact that my laptops likely wouldn't run the game in a nice way. But it's really damn tempting.

Xater

A couple of the life improvement mods should definitely make it into the game with a patch. Hope they are thinking about that.

Anyway, this thread is a great resource and I subscribed to a couple more interesting thing sI have missed before. Also grabbed that Cologne map. So good.

koolin101

Neo Member
oh my fudged pop mod made the list! funny enough I don't even use my own mod, prefer the real numbers.

looking forward to seeing some really interesting stuff in the next few weeks

Shahadan

I know why I have abandoned buildings, it's because my people are too well-educated to work menial jobs in industry :p
But I don't really want to raze each industrial building manually in my slow transition to offices.

zoned building are easy to raze with the dezoning tool at least.
I wish I could delete lots of roads quickly.

Jintor

The scale UI mod works great for the most part. It kind of fucks up chirpy when you first load a game but it seems to correct after that. A few text boxes can't contain the text but it's mostly playable and a damn sight better than squinting at everything.

I play on a 28'' monitor that I use as a TV in front of my kotatsu so... yeah

OchreHand

I'm subbing and I don't even have the game yet. But I already have a list of things i want to add.

I bet/hope total conversion mods will appear within a year

Good, good, Ive been creating a custom map that is taken me hours and hours (im not kidding, is all hand drawn using a shitty height map as a base and trying to be as perfect s possible) of my home town with the real life intersecctions.
Im just testing know distances to see if everything was done correctly.
I need tunnels RIGHT now, I really cant wait for the official update. And I hope they are thinking of making underground tunnels typical of cities, and not only the mountain tunnels seen when you are in the countryside.

Also, terrain editor on city map, PLEASE! Thats one of the thing why making the custom map is taking me so much time.

Hari Seldon

Not enough educated workers might mean that workers cannot get to the industry to work. I believe the algorithm works like if someone is stuck too long in traffic they say fuck it and go home lol. So check your traffic.

I need an undo button mod, is there such a thing?

Edit: The extended road mod is essential and I fully expect the devs to patch this in.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Here's an in-progress mod some may be interested in:

Transport Lines Manager

bHEalUJ.jpg

A shortcut to manage all city's public transports lines. It's a beta version, so may have a lot of bugs.

How does this work

When you click on the button in the top left corner and a window will open. Each button is a line of the public transport of the city:

- B lines are buses lines
- T lines are train lines
- M lines are metro/subway lines

The number after the letter is the internal line number of the line in game. This cannot be modified by now...
The background color is the line color.

Known bugs:

- When you load a new city inside game, the button not work anymore.

And here's a rails over roads one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409073164

AwMHmHb.jpg

FUNCTIONALITY:

- Adds toggle button for pillars under elevated railroad tracks.
- Build free-floating railroad tracks in game.
- Build railroad tracks in the asset editor.

The toggle button shows up in the bottom left corner. Click it to equip the railroad track tool. Click it again to switch all newly laid elevated railroad tracks to free-floating tracks. Click it again to switch back to normal.

ASSET EDITOR NOTE:

Floating tracks in assets revert to normal elevated tracks when you use the asset in game. This means you can't make assets with free-floating railroad tracks, because the pillars will grow back once the asset is used in game.

You can use this to make assets with elevated railroad tracks on top of normal roads. The space between the pillars is just enough for cars to fit through on a basic two-lane road.

And no, you can't make elevated train stations either. Unfortunately they use a special track type that doesn't support elevation to mark the spot where the train should stop.

Big Brett

Subscribed, nice post! Have yet to dabble in mods until installing the Achievements w/mods Mod. Excited to check back for more :)

I mostly play pc games on my tv so I'd really like a mod that makes the text bigger at the very least if not the icons. Is that likely to come? I have this problem with some other games too but never am able to get a text size mod. Maybe it's hard to do?

Xater

I mostly play pc games on my tv so I'd really like a mod that makes the text bigger at the very least if not the icons. Is that likely to come? I have this problem with some other games too but never am able to get a text size mod. Maybe it's hard to do?

Text scale mod is in the OP.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there a way to manage mods while a map is loaded? Like being able to change lighting mods without having to go back to the menu?

EDIT: Nvm found it

dejay

Banned
Subbed hard. Thanks spiritfox. The mods so far have been amazing.

Extended Road Upgrade has been of massive benefit - I can layout a road in any direction I want to make design easier and swipe it all in the direction I want afterwards. Auto-bulldoze is cool, but I only enable it for burnt down buildings - abandoned buildings are informative.

I'll try the Proper Hardness on my next city - there are actually two flavours of the mod out now.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Yep. Definitely subbed.

I'll post suggestions to add to the OP as I find them.

Example: Isometric Camera (for that good ol' retro feel.)

Do note that it does NOT work with first-person mod or other mods that alter the camera currently, this may be changed in the future. I've tested and verified that the mod itself is in fact working though, but there's sort of a glitch that makes your buildings not appear if you haven't zoomed in. I hope he fixes it.

EDIT: Melon Husk kindly clarified on current issues below -- shouldn't add it to the OP until it's fixed.

Melon Husk

Yep. Definitely subbed.

I'll post suggestions to add to the OP as I find them.

Example: Isometric Camera (for that good ol' retro feel.)

It's not perfect yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Problems: can't hear sounds, low level of detail buildings, enlarged icons because of low field of view.

Right now useful for retro-look screenshots.

Havent seen it in the thread but somebody created a mod for Chirpy that acts like the SimCity3000 scrolling marquee:

Combine this with that? And UI scaler too?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Apparently reddit for chirpy has broken people's savegames, so I'd be wary of using that one for now

Top Bottom