• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines Modding Thread: There's a Mod for That

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It wasn't terrible and was essentially done by the same studio seeing as Tilted Mill was formed by several ex-Impressions devs. I ended up working with an ex-Tilted Mill guy at LucasArts, he mentioned it was pretty much considered as close to a sequel as you could get, albeit in a more unofficial/spiritual sense. Close enough for me. ;P

spiritfox

Hmm, the Zonable Pedestrian Paths mod is giving me a bit of savegame load issue, even on games that I haven't used it. It's only the subsequent time I try to load something after a previous load, so it's not major, but still, use at your own risk.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hmm, the Zonable Pedestrian Paths mod is giving me a bit of savegame load issue, even on games that I haven't used it. It's only the subsequent time I try to load something after a previous load, so it's not major, but still, use at your own risk.

Maybe something's still resident in memory and not reinitializing properly. It would likely mean you'd have to restart the game completely in that case.

Stupid question:

I just started subscribing to a huge number of growable buildings. Is there any real downside to doing this? If I'm understanding growables correctly, the more that I have the bigger the variety of buildings in my zones, right?

Gr8one

If anyone was like me and getting tired of the lack of variety in the buildings in their cities and subscribing to a buttload of zoneable assets but not seeing many of the assets appearing, there is a limit to the amount of zoneable assets for each building type and size.

It was addressed by a CO dev in a bug thread on the paradox forum and they said they will fix it in a later patch.

Figured i'd give everyone a heads up because I was wondering why some assets I subscribed to would appear but others would not.

Gr8one

Stupid question:

I just started subscribing to a huge number of growable buildings. Is there any real downside to doing this? If I'm understanding growables correctly, the more that I have the bigger the variety of buildings in my zones, right?

There's really no downside. Only downside right now is the limit of the variety growables being built in the city. I noticed only 2 or 3 of my 4x4 high denisty residential subscriptions were being built in my city, as well as about 2 for both offices and commercial. The other ones would never appear, which was disappointing because I wanted to take some nice screen shots for the OT thread.

Another caveat is some of the growables have issues that cause the game to post an error message when loading or starting a new city, not game breaking but kind of annoying, and usually its due to them sharing the same name (sometimes people forget to name their asset so they are named the default name "new asset") or me having 2 different versions of the same asset because steam workshop makes it hard for people to update their assets without making a new workshop page.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Find anything you named : FindIt
I'd love it if they added in a RCT style list of every person, place and thing in the game that can be named that you could click to find in the city instantly. And if it's an object you named and is no longer available (Died, burned down, demolished) it would go in a separate list but only if it was named by you. This list could be cleared when you are finished checking it. Maybe we could get some popup messages that appear when a named object is removed from the city too. It just seems silly to let us name things but not let us find it. So nice to see a tool to do it.

Does that "Press Ctrl+F" message appear on the screen at all times? One problem I have with mods that add UI elements is that they're not tested to work with other mods. Some mods even assume you have 16:9 and put buttons in the wrong place on 16:10 like the first person mod who puts its overly huge goddamn button overlapping the Options button on my computer. And apparently the terraforming tool buttons overlap the bulldozer. Does the modding API not allow for positioning elements dynamically? If so they should put that in place ASAP so we don't have a hundred different mods trying to put its buttons all in the same place.

If anyone was like me and getting tired of the lack of variety in the buildings in their cities and subscribing to a buttload of zoneable assets but not seeing many of the assets appearing, there is a limit to the amount of zoneable assets for each building type and size..
I was wondering why my city had a disturbing lack of chicken and banana restaurants.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I think this is almost a cheat, but hey! It's like it works in real life I guess. There isn't a law in the universe that says that intersection must have lights.

Yeah I use it on the intersections where traffic was wayting too long even if there was anyone crossing, and on a 6 lanes roundabout.

DEO3

Every day I wake up, go to the workshop, and select "Most Popular (Today)" to see what's new and hot, and every day I'm blown away with what's now possible. Just glancing at the first page of the most popular mods of all time, and almost every single one of those seem damn near essential at this point.

Automatic Bulldoze, Extended Road Upgrade (though no longer needed), Tree Brush, Traffic Report Tool, All Tiles Unlockable, Mod Achievement Enabler, First Person Camera, Extended Public Transport UI, Dynamic Resolution, Autosave, Zoneable Pedestrian Paths, No Pillars, Terraform Tool, various Chripy mods, Sun Shafts, AutoLineColor, Ambient Occlusion, FindIt, Persistent Resource View, Additional KeyBindings, etc.

Every single one of those I woke up one day and said "Holy Shit!" to when I saw it, and now we have toggleable traffic lights, lane control, post process effects, and SimCopter? Jesus fucking Christ.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think this is almost a cheat, but hey! It's like it works in real life I guess. There isn't a law in the universe that says that intersection must have lights.

At first I thought it was cheating, but seeing how limited some of the options are regarding lane uses, I might use this strategically.

I don't think it's cheating, in a real traffic design game you could do it too.

Also it's stupid the way the game puts some lights, e.g. i have three 2-lane 1ways merging into a 6-lane one-way and it puts lights. Had to use a highway-piece to avoid that so far.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Jintor

What box? I don't have that problem. What mods are you using?

You know when the asset doesn't have a small menu icon assigned it defaults to some shitty looking white box placeholder thing.

well pretty much all my assets have it, even the one i made myself

SmartBase

Don't suppose there are any mods to spread out those annoying death waves? So fucking irritating having a third or more of your population die at the exact same time.

Never mind, I think increasing the hearse count fixed things.

spiritfox

Building Simulation Overhaul

This mod aims to change the growth of buildings in the city by introducing a new factor to the simulation: density levels! They are not visible as a bar, but are fairly clear from the height of buildings. In order for larger buildings to grow, there has to be a certain amount of density and land value in a large area (the distance that the measurement is over is about 2km radius.)

The ban hi rises policy will ban buildings above a certain height.

The number of workers and households per building is dependant upon the level of the building and its size (including height). This means large hi rises will have quite a few more people in them.

Residents will have lower happiness if they don't have essential services, although this doesn't do much at the moment, I am planning ways to make happiness more relevant to the game.

Industrial extractors take much longer to deplete reserves of oil and ore. Industry pollution spreads farther, but hi tech industry (level 3) pollutes much less.

Land value and service requirements for building adjusted, leveling up buildings is generally more difficult.

Residents less likely to move in well educated, helps keep the education situation from getting out of control.

Edit: Also added:

PostProcessFX
New Game Plus (NG+) (configurable)
Public Transport Capacity (Real)
Control Building Level Up

Wayne Enterprises
Emerald Plaza
Modern Art Plaza
Church
Campus Dorm
News Stand - Newspapers, Magazines!

Also divided the mods section into different sections for easier browsing.

Is there any way to figure out what mods are making my game chug super hard when I'm loading? Like it takes a solid few minutes now where the game just straight up hangs on the loading screen. Are there any tips on what's a good limit to try and stick to, or any idea what mods might be causing the sluggishness?

spiritfox

Is there any way to figure out what mods are making my game chug super hard when I'm loading? Like it takes a solid few minutes now where the game just straight up hangs on the loading screen. Are there any tips on what's a good limit to try and stick to, or any idea what mods might be causing the sluggishness?

I think the more mods you have enabled, the longer the game takes just to load them all. I have around 15 mods active and it takes a bit longer to load, but not that much. Try playing around with what mods you have enabled and see what causes the load.

Copons

If you're anything like me, you could have subbed plenty of collections of buildings, without realizing you were automatically adding to the game a ton of stuff, most of which could be just recolorings or basic modifications of vanilla assets.
At some point it took me like a couple of minutes to load a city, so I started going through all my subscriptions, removing a lot of useless stuff and now it's all as snappy as it can be.

If you're anything like me, you could have subbed plenty of collections of buildings, without realizing you were automatically adding to the game a ton of stuff, most of which could be just recolorings or basic modifications of vanilla assets.
At some point it took me like a couple of minutes to load a city, so I started going through all my subscriptions, removing a lot of useless stuff and now it's all as snappy as it can be.

Oh, yeah. I appear to be just under 800. That might be a problem I'm guessing.

Copons

Oh, yeah. I appear to be just under 800. That might be a problem I'm guessing.

Yeah, it could be that!
When I started unsubscribing, I had more or less 25 pages of mods in the Workshop, which is like 250 items, so I can't even imagine what kind of loading times you're getting! :D

Gr8one

Proper Hardness mod has been updated and it can give detailed information on the factors influencing a buildings leveling up. Hopefully the creator can make a stand-alone version in the future.

RI8TShW.jpg
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408706691

Additionally, the cool looking Mirror's Edge colour correction lut was finally released today with a nice video demonstrating it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEVqMxWKlnI&feature=youtu.be

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411770965&searchtext=

edit: OMG OMFG! Flight Cimulator, think Sim Copter but with planes, mod on the workshop. I know what i'm doing when I get home today!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413366627

Top Bottom