• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines Modding Thread: There's a Mod for That

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Removed it from the OP for the time being. I'll add it back if it's fixed.

This thread tracks how the modder broke things and what he's doing to fix it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyl...ow_i_broke_everyones_savegame_and_fixed_them/

Along comes this GitHub issue with an actual error message, namely that it couldn't find RedditClient.Message... Odd. It turns out that C:S is very particular about the versions it requires. Not just any version will do, but it has to be the exact same version... and I had changed those. Fuck.

So the simple fix is to have three new projects, each for an older dll version (2-4), which only have the Message class thats exactly the same for all of them. C:S is fine though, and albeit the mod now has 4 dlls instead of 1, it works again. Great /s

TL;DR by updating my assembly version, I broke everyone's savegame. Fixed it by adding more dll that all have the same content but the older assembly version.

Also SteamApps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt is a lot more informative, in case you ever want to find the actual issue.

Good info for anyone out there looking into modding with the API.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I just ran across a mod that changes Chirp to a banner across the top. Considerably less real estate.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406623071
3j3xPPn.jpg

Works with Chrip Filter, which filters out the useless messages.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407871375&tscn=1426573760

XiaNaphryz

Yeah, a deletion brush or marquee selection tool would be amazing. If no one makes one before the weekend I might give it a try.

Attention Durante and any other modders/potential modders:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409520576

ModTools is an in-game scene graph viewer/debugger for mod authors.

THIS IS NOT A TOOL FOR USERS. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU USE THIS AND a) LOSE YOUR SAVEGAME; b) LOSE YOUR CAT; c) PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING EVER. NO RESPONSIBILITY. NONE.

Mod authors - this is not a library or framework for your mods. Do not reference the mod DLL in your own mods and/ or distribute it to users. This will only lead to angry users who poked in the wrong place.

The main feature of ModTools is the scene explorer which allows you to examine all objects in the current scene (all GameObjects, Components and their fields, properties and methods). It works through reflection and has knowledge of most types you will encounter. You can browse deep within the object hierarchy and see and edit every variable in real-time. The scene explorer allows you to place watches on variables that are of interest which puts them in a separate window for monitoring. I advise you to check out the video above to get an idea how all of this works.

There are several other things that ModTools will do to make your life easier:

- Redirects all your mod's exceptions to the debug console (F7). Enjoy :)
- Place buttons on the ModTools menu without referencing ModTools in your mod (more info coming)
- Live preview of RenderTextures

Usage:
Press Ctrl + Q in-game to open the main debug menu.
Ctrl + W - watches window
Ctrl + E - scene explorer

Please note that this is not a finished product. Its current functions are pretty stable, but I do plan to add a lot more features, so stay tuned. Feature requests[github.com] are welcome (feature implementations[github.com] - even more so).

Think not what ModTools can do for you, but what you can do for ModTools!
Join the development[github.com], submit bug reports and make PRs, let's make this tool great for all modders!

Tsm99H5.jpg

vHryYIh.jpg

Giever

This is, by far, my favorite LUT: Violet/Dramatic Color Correction.

It really isn't as dramatic as its name implies claims. It more saturated and richer and easier on the eyes than the default washed out look. It's not as realistic as that super realistic one, obviously, but I just love this one and am super happy that I found one that is pleasing to look at compared to the defaults and the other workshop ones I've tried out.

tanuki

My Macbook's monitor calibration must be way off, because the screenshots of the filters never looks the same as what they look like when I'm actually using them.

Tiu Neo

I use this vibrant filter, but from the filters everyone is sharing, I can't imagine very many others will like it much :p

Whoa, didn't know that one. I actually like the more vibrant colors on it. Why would I want my city to look bleak and lifeless? I'll use it from now on, thanks!

Yeah, I used that one for a bit on the first day or two. It's not bad! Just a little strong, in my opinion.

At least you aren't using Saturation. :p

Now, I don't like colors that much.

bjaelke

Probably just a matter of days before he does a twitter version. My attempt at that has been rather unsuccessful so far.

Seiniyta

Man, seems like you can do so much with mods in this game. My personal wishlist:

A science tech-tree where you can upgrade the city (visually and some benefits of course) with various branches to the point where you can have super sci-fi flying around. Like Cities of Tommorow but even further .

I'd also like to see putting in something I kinda really liked in Simcity in terms of specialization. Like, investing in certain factories to make plastic out of oil and other materials, then to make electronics and then computers and tv's etc. And at any step you can decide to sell it on a market for revenue if it's not feasible/you don't want to go that far.

spiritfox

It seems that the No Pillars mod has been updated. Now you can switch off the collision detection of the pillars so you can build elevated networks without tearing your hair out.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does anyone know if it's possible in the mod tools to apply a filter over the game? (ie. a lens blur or something to that effect?)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It seems that the No Pillars mod has been updated. Now you can switch off the collision detection of the pillars so you can build elevated networks without tearing your hair out.

See I'm not getting that mod, that's borderline "unrealistic" for me. Automatic emptying? Makes it more fun. Pedestrian zoning? Realistic. No pillars? Eeeeeeeh.

The upgrade streets mod is pretty much the best thing ever though, should have really been in the game.

XiaNaphryz

See I'm not getting that mod, that's borderline "unrealistic" for me. Automatic emptying? Makes it more fun. Pedestrian zoning? Realistic. No pillars? Eeeeeeeh.

You can choose to have pillars still in that mod.

FUNCTIONALITY:

- Build elevated railroad, roads, and pedestrian paths without pillars
- Build elevated roads that use the railroad pillars instead of the clunky concrete ones
- Disable collision detection while building roads
- Build railroad tracks in the asset editor

IN GAME:

This mod adds two buttons in the bottom left.

Click the button that says "Pillars" to switch to "Floating". Newly built elevated roads, railroad tracks, and pedestrian paths will now float in the air without any apparent support. Click the button again to switch to "Pillars (Side)". In this mode, elevated roads use the pillar model of elevated railroad tracks instead of their normal one. Click the button a third time to switch back to the defaults.

Click the button that says "Collide" to switch to "Overlap". Roads and other connections can now be built even if they collide with an existing object. Click the button again to switch back to the default mode.

AwMHmHb.jpg

The main use of the mod is so you can have stuff like rails built directly over roads.

Dolor

You can choose to have pillars still in that mod.

AwMHmHb.jpg

The main use of the mod is so you can have stuff like rails built directly over roads.

That looks great. Has this mod been promoted out of beta yet then?

I am having some nasty train traffic problems, and this would help me a great deal to put some rails over roads.

Jintor

Posted in the OT thread:

It's a mod to auto empty your landfills and cemeteries.

Beware of activating it on a city with clustered landfills - 3 of my landfills started emptying and once and spawned almost 50 garbage trucks around the block and absolutely decimated my industrial entranceway

spiritfox

Updated with new buildings and the City Vitals Watch, which seems interesting. Also removed the Commercial Demand Fix and the Extended Road Upgrade since the latest patch removed their need. Reddit for Chirpy is back up in the beta section.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
does the achievement mod work after patch? I really want to enable that auto-bulldozing thing

Parsnip

road upgrade tool now works between two-way and one-way roads and right mouse-button changes direction of one-way roads
This sounds like there no need for the road upgrade mod anymore.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
does the achievement mod work after patch? I really want to enable that auto-bulldozing thing
It does, I just tested it with The Safest Town achievement and it worked just fine.
Me too. I tested it by building the one Monument I was entitled to that I didn't have the achievement for. This will make it easy to just get the achievements out of the way so I can stop caring about them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd rather something as complicated as tunnels be handled by the devs so it works in the end and isn't an incompatible version that I need to redo.

Also, if I can't dig my tunnels into the ground they'll be useless since my map has no mountains. I want to be able to make my tunnel go down under the water and have roads go through. Might require a lot more work though given how deep some rivers are and how some subways can't even go under them.

Armaros

Tunnels are basically adding an entire new system that they have to code into the game.

I would rather have Colossal Order do that in order to get a good working baseline before modders get their hands on it.

SmartBase

Tunnels are basically adding an entire new system that they have to code into the game.

I would rather have Colossal Order do that in order to get a good working baseline before modders get their hands on it.

I thought the way subways are put down would've been a good enough foundation to mod road tunnels in, but I guess you're right.

I hope more so that they improve the traffic "smarter" intersections, right (or left depending on the setting) turns not only being restricted to the far right lane and even possibly allowing right turns on red would help for most issues, it kinda sorta reminds me of how SimCity2013 traffic was at launch, especially with emergency vehicles getting stuck in traffic even when there's other lanes wide open.

EDIT: OOps I posted this in the wrong topic.

Jintor

Speaking of emergency vehicles, it's strange they don't actually model the traffic getting the fuck out of the way cos of these goddamn SIRENS BLARING YO THERE'S AN EMERGENCY

Top Bottom