• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

*Classic Sales-Age* APR-1994 w/ figures & graph: GEN down 53%! Super Metroid debuts..

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
donny2112 said:
Personally, I don't have a baseline to compare them to. It's been on the market for four years, but (through no fault of your own) we only have the last four months of sales. Maybe we should've been shocked at January-March Genesis sales, and for April, things finally got back to normal.

I am surprised about the general total lack of staying power for the gaming industry
back in 1994
. One game over 100K
, both major consoles selling at well below current NDS/PSP levels, which in turn are a huge drop from GBA levels
. Super Metroid (considered by some, one of the best games ever) selling a paltry 56K in its first month. Nintendo franchises selling like crap
compared to now
on their own system.

No wonder games
had
have to cost $60-$70. No one
was
is buying any!


Also, it's not unheard of for SEGA consoles to have big surges followed by massive drops (see Dreamcast)
I'm refering to
current gen consoles (PS2, XB, GC)
. we've had sales for
them for almost four years now.

Are you surprised at how much the American industry has grown? It's at what...$11 billion/a year now. In 1994 it was something like $3.2 billion. Plus average tie ratios for consoles were b/w 4-6...meaning there were few hardcore gamers so new titles had much lower initial sales compared to today (but they may have had longer legs). And not having the internet for updated release data meant most relied on TV commercials for their gaming news.
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
Raw64life said:
Oh. GameFAQs and Wikipedia both have it as being released 02/28/94 in the US.
Well I can tell you it doesn't begin selling until October. Maybe that's the Japanese release.

Update: I checked Nintendo's master release list and it's set for October. So GameFAQ is wrong again, their older game release dates are usually incorrect. I wouldn't rely on them.
 

vitaflo

Member
Aug 11, 2004
1,605
0
0
Square2005 said:
Well I can tell you it doesn't begin selling until October. Maybe that's the Japanese release.

Update: I checked Nintendo's master release list and it's set for October. So GameFAQ is wrong again, their older game release dates are usually incorrect. I wouldn't rely on them.
They certainly are. I've updated a few release dates on there based on the old reviews I wrote back then, but many of them are still off.
 

Lapsed

Banned
May 14, 2006
655
0
0
Hey guys! I hear Nintendo is experimenting with 3d technology with something called the Super FX chip. But no good games will use that. Instead, the real hotness is with the upcoming 32 X. OMG! Sega is going to get rich off that mushroom shaped device.

Look! Nintendo has RPG games coming out for its system. Only DORKS play stupid games like Final Fantasy 6. We know the masses will stay with Genesis and its macho style of games. Has anyone heard about that upcoming game called Chrono Trigger coming out for the SNES? Yeah. Instant bomb. No one is going to be playing those SNES games years from now, even fifteen years from now, unlike the awesome Genesis sports games that dominate the sales charts now.
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
Lapsed said:
Look! Nintendo has RPG games coming out for its system. Only DORKS play stupid games like Final Fantasy 6. We know the masses will stay with Genesis and its macho style of games. Has anyone heard about that upcoming game called Chrono Trigger coming out for the SNES? Yeah. Instant bomb. No one is going to be playing those SNES games years from now, even fifteen years from now, unlike the awesome Genesis sports games that dominate the sales charts now.
Sounds about right...
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
ioi said:
What's out?
Not much...nothing that will be very high in the charts:
Mortal Kombat CD (SCD)
R.B.I. Baseball (GEN)
Caesar's Palace (GEN)
a few minor others that won't ever make the TOP25.

Make some predictions for what's already available plus HW.
 

Cheebs

Member
Mar 10, 2005
12,929
0
0
Michigan
Nothing much software wise so I don't expect much in gains of hardware.

Gen: 135,000
SNES: 110,000

NBA Jam Gen: 100,000
NBA Jam SNES: 60,000
Sonic 3: 40,000
Super Metroid: 50,000
 

ioi

Banned
Sep 16, 2005
2,156
0
0
36
www.everythingandnothing.org.uk
Square2005 said:
Not much...nothing that will be very high in the charts:
Mortal Kombat CD (SCD)
R.B.I. Baseball (GEN)
Caesar's Palace (GEN)
a few minor others that won't ever make the TOP25.

Make some predictions for what's already available plus HW.
GEN 130k
SNES 125k

Super Metroid 75k
NBA Jam GEN 95k
NBA Jam SNES 65k
 

ioi

Banned
Sep 16, 2005
2,156
0
0
36
www.everythingandnothing.org.uk
Square2005 said:
Not much...nothing that will be very high in the charts:
Mortal Kombat CD (SCD)
R.B.I. Baseball (GEN)
Caesar's Palace (GEN)
a few minor others that won't ever make the TOP25.

Make some predictions for what's already available plus HW.
When do we get Mays then?
 

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Mar 19, 2005
2,317
0
0

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
0
Square2005 said:
I'm refering to
current gen consoles (PS2, XB, GC)
. we've had sales for
them for almost four years now.
I meant we don't have data to know what's "normal" for Genesis.
Compared to current generation consoles, I don't think it dropped out of proportion to what some of their ups and downs have been. The PS2 has had some of the biggest drops from March to April (160K - 2002, 140K - 2003, 160K - 2005) just because it gets so high otherwise, for example.
In that case the March -> April drop for Genesis is surprising but not shocking.

Square2005 said:
Are you surprised at how much the American industry has grown?
Yes. I'd heard the approximate total $ numbers before, but actually seeing that translated to sales is a different story. Of course, having 7 consoles (5 not dead) on the market at the same time sure isn't hurting. ;)

Square2005 said:
Plus average tie ratios for consoles were b/w 4-6...meaning there were few hardcore gamers so new titles had much lower initial sales compared to today ...
That makes sense when I look back at how many games I have for older systems. The number of games for each successive system gets higher and higher.



Nintendo Power April 1994




Anyone going to Power Fest '94? Link
10-page feature on Ken Grifey Jr. presents Major League Baseball
10-page feature on Star Trek: The Next Generation (Check out those graphics! I hope this games plays as good as it looks. :) )
5-page preview on Super Metroid ("Big New!" "24 Megs!")
Play as Bill Clinton and Al Gore in NBA Jam!
Super Metroid comic
Step-by-step guide to Crystalis! All the way to Sabera the Witch. More next month. :)

Anyone else notice this?



CDs are for slow dummies! :p
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
donny2112 said:
Anyone else notice this?



CDs are for slow dummies! :p
I should remember this,"The next time someone tells you that CD-ROM is the wave of the future, tell them that the future doesn't belong to snails!"
- Nintendo Power (April 1994):D
 

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Mar 19, 2005
2,317
0
0
ioi said:
What are predictions?
I meant those numbers on that website(?)
Do you know what will happen in the future?
Some of those games listed there are not available NOW
1994
 

140.85

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Jun 6, 2006
9,956
0
0
Lapsed said:
Hey guys! I hear Nintendo is experimenting with 3d technology with something called the Super FX chip. But no good games will use that. Instead, the real hotness is with the upcoming 32 X. OMG! Sega is going to get rich off that mushroom shaped device.

Look! Nintendo has RPG games coming out for its system. Only DORKS play stupid games like Final Fantasy 6. We know the masses will stay with Genesis and its macho style of games. Has anyone heard about that upcoming game called Chrono Trigger coming out for the SNES? Yeah. Instant bomb. No one is going to be playing those SNES games years from now, even fifteen years from now, unlike the awesome Genesis sports games that dominate the sales charts now.
:lol

Right on man.
 

Greenpanda

Banned
Jun 12, 2004
4,448
1
0
goldenpp72 said:
I don't recall chrono trigger selling well, so I dunno about that :lol
Nah, it sold quite well, though I don't have any specific figures off the top of my head.

I mean ... I think it will sell quite well ;)
 

Square2005

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
1,293
0
0
34
Texas
Greenpanda said:
Nah, it sold quite well, though I don't have any specific figures off the top of my head.

I mean ... I think it will sell quite well ;)
Guys, Chrono Trigger is over a year away.

For this Fall, RPG-wise look forward to:
Breath of Fire (AUG)
Illusion of Gaia (SEPT)
Final Fantasy III (OCT)
Shining Force II (OCT)

Who knows if any of them will sell...