• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton's lead over Trump is 8-9 points with just 70% of Sanders Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
She'll get a bump when the primaries are over next week, and then a convention bump and then an Obama bump.

Plus who knows what kind of stupid shit Trump will say between now and November, making the gap even wider.

Stupid is in the eye of the beholder, the crazier and stupider shit Trump says, the more publicity he gets, and the more his cult of personality grows, earning him votes. At this point he's less of a presidential candidate and more of a sports team.

They'll follow the ratings. Once the general populace starts paying real attention, the Donald will fade out. He's showing that he can't pivot.

Those general debates will be embarrassing.

It's not that he can't pivot, it's that he planted his pivot foot in shit and all he can do is pivot to more shit.

He is pivoting in one big shit pile.

Xe4

Banned
She'll get a bump, her favorability will go up. Everyone loves her. It's fine.
maxresdefault.jpg

Is this like your first election? Bumps are a very real thing. It's why it makes predicting the president months out difficult. Beleive it or not April was a better predictor than today, and any day until august, because bumps mess with the polls.

Slayven

They'll follow the ratings. Once the general populace starts paying real attention, the Donald will fade out. He's showing that he can't pivot.

Those general debates will be embarrassing.

The debates will not be his friend. He doesn't have a team of clowns to slap box with. Hillary knows her shit. I expect a lot of "Please precede governor" moments

Blader

I wish to no avail that a moratorium be placed on these polls until after the conventions. That's the earliest anyone will see of an even playing field between Hillary and Trump.

It doesn't help that the Clinton campaign is completely incompetent. What's the first thing you thought of when you saw that "Love Trumps Hate" slogan? To me, it read "Love Trump's Hate" (Love is a verb). Like whaaat? And it's not just because I'm biased, because someone showed this to Bill Maher and it's the first thing he thought of too, and he fucking hates Trump.

Plus, believe it or not, some people actually like Trump. ;-)

...love is also a noun. I can see how grammar flies over some people's heads, though!

I wish to no avail that a moratorium be placed on these polls until after the conventions. That's the earliest anyone will see of an even playing field between Hillary and Trump.

...love is also a noun. I can see how grammar flies over some people's heads, though!

You can make it less ambiguous by saying "love always trumps hate"

Macam

Banned
And I'm old enough to remember when Dukakis was leading George HW Bush in the polls. By a wide margin, I think, and later in the election than this.

I hope Trump loses, but polls this early don't mean anything.

Polls don't matter unless NeoGAF decides they do.

CoolOff

Can someone explain to me why you put so much stock in the popular vote when you actually win state by state? Say as a single event that Hillary's numbers drop of sharply in states that are already red, that means jack shit for the GE right?

Xe4

Banned
Can someone explain to me why you put so much stock in the popular vote when you actually win state by state? Say as a single event that Hillary's numbers drop of sharply in states that are already red, that means jack shit for the GE right?

Except for a few elections the national vote has mirrored the electoral college victory. You are right that as a rule of thumb polls in swing states matter more but a. There aren't many now, and b. Even a 1% lead on election night is almost assured electoral college victory.

IrishNinja

Blader

If you think ambiguously worded messages only affect the uneducated, you would not do well in the field of marketing.

As it so happens, I do work in marketing! And do quite well in it...or at least, I think I do...

And I don't think it was an ambiguous message, nor do I see widespread reports of people utterly baffled by the slogan.

Polls don't matter unless NeoGAF decides they do.

The guy you're quoting posted a pretty clear indicator of why these polls don't matter yet. This same time in '08, McCain and Romney were both tied with or leading Obama in polls.

These polls don't matter until after the conventions, when the parties have fully coalesced around their candidates, when party surrogates (e.g. Obama) begin stumping for their respective candidates, etc. It's not a GAF conspiracy. It's just how these polls have historically worked. And people have been saying this for many many months, well beyond just GAF.

User1608

Banned
Trump's stupidity, misogyny and racism will not earn him votes in any of those blocs (women, minorities, etc.).

He will only get more popular with the racist base. Everybody else outnumbers those idiots. Going to be a lot of told-you-so's this fall.

Fascists are sooooo bad at analyzing marketing slogans nowadays.

What happened to Fascism that its supporters think that "Love Trumps Hate" is confusing.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Thanks, I'll bookmark this one. In any case, my point was twofold: 1) Individual polls are useless as tits on a boar. People should only be posting aggregates. 2) 8-9 points is definitely not matching up with aggregates, it's still not an easy win for Clinton at this stage.
The 8-9 points doesn't match up woth agregates because it's a hypothetical, not an actual poll of any kind.

Stupid is in the eye of the beholder, the crazier and stupider shit Trump says, the more publicity he gets, and the more his cult of personality grows, earning him votes. At this point he's less of a presidential candidate and more of a sports team.
That can work in a primary race, not the general. Trump is going to drive his numbers down with women and every minority group for months. Yes I'm sure he'll successfully rile up many white male voters to come out but simple math dictates he cannot win with them alone.

The great thing about Trump is that he has no disipline. It is very easy to provoke him into over reacting and saying something stupid. The closer we get to November the closer people focus on who they trust to be president, who they're comfortable with representing them in the world, etc. You simply cannot make a compelling argument that Trump will make that case to voters. Especially female voters.

It is stemming from some stupid thing dumbass Scott Adams wrote or said on Bill Maher's show, so it is now being parroted as a bad slogan.

The Globe and Mail misquoted the slogan as "Love Trump's Hate" in their publication long before Adams went on the air. Presumably their editors are well educated people, and the political leanings are center anyway.

The slogan is a mess! <airhorn>

It doesn't help that the Clinton campaign is completely incompetent. What's the first thing you thought of when you saw that "Love Trumps Hate" slogan? To me, it read "Love Trump's Hate" (Love is a verb). Like whaaat? And it's not just because I'm biased, because someone showed this to Bill Maher and it's the first thing he thought of too, and he fucking hates Trump.

Plus, believe it or not, some people actually like Trump. ;-)

Calling a campaign completely incompetent and citing quibblies about one slogan is pretty weak. Clinton's campaign already has massive organizational advantages over Trump. She employs 10 to 30 times more people in swing states. Her fundraising machine is orders of magnitude more organized. The electoral college map is already stacked against Trump and he has shown now organizational ability to forge a path to election.

His caimpaign is amatuer hour and no amount of misdirection is going to change that.

Xe4

Banned
Here is Sam Wang from Princeton Election Consortium's prediction for November.

He also predicts if the election was held today, Clinton would win 336-202.

Sam is one of the best political writers in the business. Back in January when even (usually good) sites like 538 were writing about a contested convention, and Trump loosing, Sam plainly stated that Clinton and Trump had more or less secured the nomination. He predicted the last two elections very well, perfectly in '08 and only missing Florida (which was more or less tied) in '12.

It's easy to look at bad poll numbers, or good poll numbers, and freak out over them. But that gets people nowhere. It's nearly useless to talk about individual polls, or "momentum", or anything else pundits like to bring up. What matters is the statistics based off of the polls, and right now they give a resounding Clinton victory.

This is his post in January, if you don't believe me. (He didn't actually stop posting). http://election.princeton.edu/2016/01/27/hey-may-i-just-sign-off-until-summer/

RPGCrazied

Soon as Sanders drops out, that number will rise, or I hope. Hopefully he is smart enough to endorse her and rally for her to make it an easier win.

Sam is one of the best political writers in the business. Back in January when even (usually good) sites like 538 were writing about a contested convention, and Trump loosing, Sam plainly stated that Clinton and Trump had more or less secured the nomination. He predicted the last two elections very well, perfectly in '08 and only missing Florida (which was more or less tied) in '12.

It's easy to look at bad poll numbers, or good poll numbers, and freak out over them. But that gets people nowhere. It's nearly useless to talk about individual polls, or "momentum", or anything else pundits like to bring up. What matters is the statistics based off of the polls, and right now they give a resounding Clinton victory.

Bu- bu- but Trump won the primary! Everyone knows that if you win the Republican primary, everything is possible! It's not like anyone has won the Republican primary before!

It really can't be overstated how strong the national Democratic Party is right now in terms of high-profile statesmen after a successful 8 years in the White House. The convention could have Obama, Biden, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carty, etc all speaking. The GOP convention? People lukewarmly supporting Trump because they have to, even after throwing garbage at him for months.

Imagine if in 2000 Gore had actually allowed Bill Clinton to campaign with him and for him? Gore distanced himself from Clinton because he thought the sex scandal stuff would hurt him...but people loved Clinton, and Clinton could have pushed Gore over the top just by reminding them what they had done together in office. Clinton already has a relatively easy win against Trump based on demographics alone (which get stronger for the Democrats with each election), but with Obama stumping for her? Man, it's not even going to be close.

This is his post in January, if you don't believe me. (He didn't actually stop posting). http://election.princeton.edu/2016/01/27/hey-may-i-just-sign-off-until-summer/

He pegs her at a 70% chance to win currently, and as you said, he's done very well in all Presidential races since 2004. Only time he screwed up, if I remember correctly, was one of the midterms where he was off by a bit.

border

Does Trump even have surrogates outside of his family?

Yeah there's this obnoxious blonde lady who's on CNN all the time. Watching her try to explain away the shit he says would be hilarious if it weren't so disgusting. I often wonder if she believes that nonsense, or if she's just paid to come up with the best possible reasoning to handwave away objections to Trump's statements.

Amir0x

Banned

Don't actually inform people how to follow elections intelligently! They have to come around the hard way like most political observers, doggedly believing in the power of ones own intuition (GUT FEELING), proclaiming that this time will be different than all historical precedent for reasons, and not comprehending the importance of the time a poll is taken, who it is taken by, and how it is taken.

Trump can still win, because of one very serious factor... if something serious happens on Obama's watch before election day, Democrats and therefore Hillary will take the blame and lose. That's still too precipitous for me to smile about this election.

But considering the electoral votes Democrats start with from the jump, how positive the shifting demographics are for Dems, how well Hillary is polling already versus Trump, the difference in status in their primaries and the fact that Republican party is infinitely more fractured and unprepared than the Democrats... this is not a difficult race to call at this juncture. One simply needs to understand how politics actually works, and not how we wish it would work.

Xe4

Banned
He pegs her at a 70% chance to win currently, and as you said, he's done very well in all Presidential races since 2004. Only time he screwed up, if I remember correctly, was one of the midterms where he was off by a bit.

I beleive he was a bit of in 2014, we he admitted to and attempted to correct I the future. '04 he was just starting out, and modifying his model so I can't blame him for that one.

Right now she has a 70% chance in November because of the chance of the probability distribution moving. It has to do with the number of standard deviations (or sigma) away the 270 mark is for Trump. If the election were held today she'd have a >99% chance of winning it. The 70% will narrow the closer we get to November.

Funny enough 70% is only a bit hugher than the betting markets have, which tend to be a bit conservative with regards to the odds of the frontrunner winning, but are otherwise shockingly accurate.

Don't actually inform people how to follow elections intelligently! They have to come around the hard way like most political observers, doggedly believing in the power of ones own intuition (GUT FEELING), proclaiming that this time will be different than all historical precedent for reasons, and not comprehending the importance of the time a poll is taken, who it is taken by, and how it is taken.

Trump can still win, because of one very serious factor... if something serious happens on Obama's watch before election day, Democrats and therefore Hillary will take the blame and lose. That's still too precipitous for me to smile about this election.

But considering the electoral votes Democrats start with from the jump, how positive the shifting demographics are for Dems, how well Hillary is polling already versus Trump, the difference in status in their primaries and the fact that Republican party is infinitely more fractured and unprepared than the Democrats... this is not a difficult race to call at this juncture. One simply needs to understand how politics actually works, and not how we wish it would work.

Yeah a recession, hostage crisis or some bad dirt that could be dug up on Obama, Biden or Clinton could definetly ruin it for the democrats. I by no means am cocky about this election, just attempting to put to rest the doom and gloom about the Clinton campaign. There was the same sort of predictions in '12, and look how that turned out.

Jeels

Seriously, we'll have Barack Obama and Bill Clinton combo, and may be Elizabeth Warren and Jerry Brown to top it off.

It's amazing really how many all stars the democratic party has on the bench. Meanwhile, it's mostly clowns on the other side who won't do anything to expand Trump's votes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom