• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton's lead over Trump is 8-9 points with just 70% of Sanders Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that always amazes me is that people think that Trump will carry the "say horrible things and be loved for it" momentum into the GE, while ignoring that the response from the left has been protesting and anger.

It's amazing really how many all stars the democratic party has on the bench. Meanwhile, it's mostly clowns on the other side who won't do anything to expand Trump's votes...

Unfortunately due to the 2-party system in the US (such a relic of outdated democracy) there is a false equivalency between the two, making both seem equally legit and competent.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He pegs her at a 70% chance to win currently, and as you said, he's done very well in all Presidential races since 2004. Only time he screwed up, if I remember correctly, was one of the midterms where he was off by a bit.

In 2014 he was promoting polls over fundamentals very early, but polls ended up moving towards the fundamentals, and was talking about a trend of polls understating democratic support, when 2014 ended up understating republican support.

Otherwise he's been good. This time it was clearly the fundamentals people that have been getting it wrong while the polls people have been getting it right, so I'd keep with that.

Cipherr

One thing that always amazes me is that people think that Trump will carry the "say horrible things and be loved for it" momentum into the GE, while ignoring that the response from the left has been protesting and anger.

Yeah I think that is cognitive dissonance. Ignoring it because it disproves the narrative they are trying to push.

"Democrats are going to be apathetic! Theres no energy on the left that's how Trump will win! Also, the more racist stuff he says the more people love him!"

--Meanwhile news is saturated with huge protests in every state he visits formed by thousands and thousands of people--

You people just don't get it, the MRA cartoonist and islamophobic talkshow host have cracked the code. People across America are waking up today realising that they do in fact love Trump's hatred, even of themselves. Hillary shot herself in the foot.

"Hillary supporters: Chill Out". 2008 was much worse.
http://www.snappytv.com/tc/2025840/988798 (don't misunderstand his shirt, he wears different ones each week over decades of politics from different sides)
S8uptlYh.jpg

You people just don't get it, the MRA cartoonist and islamophobic talkshow host have cracked the code. People across America are waking up today realising that they do in fact love Trump's hatred, even of themselves. Hillary shot herself in the foot.

You left out the hypnotism of the cartoonist!

norm9

Sorry, Clinton can't lead if she's in jail. (Leland Yee of San Francisco was in prison and still got some votes, but whatever.)

Sorry, Clinton can't lead if she's in jail. (Leland Yee of San Francisco was in prison and still got some votes, but whatever.)

Clinton is a nasty person and she doesn't represent progressive values but she is not a criminal as far as I've ever heard. If you're going to attack a candidate, attack her on the issues and not these unfounded accusations.

She had also been leading in the popular vote and the race was way closer. Gotta look at the situations surrounding the arguments too.

Campaigns should be aware of the rules of the primary process before a candidate decides to run. It should apply to Bernie, to Clinton and to Obama.

What if Sanders supporters vote Trump to get revenge on Clinton?

Sanders supporters are the polar opposite of Trump supporters. We don't support racism and all those nasty things Trump stands for.

Trouble

Banned
Clinton is a nasty person and she doesn't represent progressive values but she is not a criminal as far as I've ever heard. If you're going to attack a candidate, attack her on the issues and not these unfounded accusations.

The cognitive dissonance in this post is amazing.

Korigama

What if Sanders supporters vote Trump to get revenge on Clinton?
Then they would be voting against everything they supposedly believed in when they were supporting Sanders. It would be an act of pure spite that would be just as petulant as it would be illogical.

That said, I'm willing to believe that the amount of his supporters who would actually do such a thing is negligible.
The cognitive dissonance in this post is amazing.
It truly is.

watershed

Banned
All we have to know about the GE is that republican leaders, officials, pollsters, and strategists live in fear of Trump as their nominee and strongly regret how their own primary has played out. They fear Clinton because they know she can win in November versus any republican and fear and hate Trump because they expect him to lose in November.

aliengmr

All we have to know about the GE is that republican leaders, officials, pollsters, and strategists live in fear of Trump as their nominee and strongly regret how their own primary has played out. They fear Clinton because they know she can win in November versus any republican and fear and hate Trump because they expect him to lose in November.

But you have to admire how quickly they formed ranks behind him. Although when your best primary competition is walking sack of shit, the writing was on the wall I guess.

Either way, I won't expect the GOP to phone in the GE.

I want to believe this, but I won't until the GE is fully underway. I'm not overly surprised Trump won against his competitors in the GOP primary, but I am surprised just how bulletproof he seemed to be considering how full of shit he verifiably is.

Makes sense, trump would be the worst possible thing for America.

Insert "Bernie Sanders supporters are the worst" here.

Edit: Bernie or bust people are the ones new to politics and will end up switching once we get closer to the general.

Good. Fuck the 20 to 25% that are BernieOrBust people. They are not needed in the Democratic Party. They are poison.
Honestly I doubt it'll even be that high.

The people who abstain from voting or vote third party imo were never going to vote for Clinton in the first place. There might be a few who started out feeling okay about her that are hardcore anti-Clinton now but otherwise I think a lot of people just enjoy being on the fringe and feeling above the system.

Clinton's Obama bounce is going to be ridiculous. 75% of Bernie supporters have a favorable opinion of the guy and his approval among Democrats as a whole is like 90%. Any suggestion that a significant chunk of people won't ultimately be satisfied with Clinton as the nominee will be overblown

A lot of Bernie supporters are Independents who've never pledged support to the Democratic party.

and furthermore if any Sanders voters move on over to Trump they must've never been serious about any issues to begin with. Fuck em. They're not numerous enough to worry about.

JP_

Banned
So basically some Sanders supporters are just stomping their feet and holding their breath because they dislike the outcome but will eventually come around when it's time to vote for Hillary. #whinychildren
Not as much as Clinton supporters in 2008.
Historical precedent: In July 2008, 54 percent of Clinton voters said they wouldn't support Barack Obama in a general election. (They even had a nickname, "PUMAs" — "party unity my ass," the 2008 analog to today's "Bernie or bust-ers.")
This is after she dropped out and Obama was the presumptive nominee.

Odrion

Banned
No shit.

Oh man, I can't wait till November. I can't wait to see how many state could turn blue.

The sweet tears of fascists will flow.

not exactly. they're predominantly independents who have traditionally expressed a voting preference for democrats but haven't actually registered as such

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/sanders-isnt-doing-well-with-true-independents/

Did you read the article or just the headline?

The article actually contridicts the headline numerous times throughout, but really it's horribly written in the first place and seems amateurish at best. What a hack writer.

Madness

She'll get a bump when the primaries are over next week, and then a convention bump and then an Obama bump.

Plus who knows what kind of stupid shit Trump will say between now and November, making the gap even wider.

I am not as certain. Especially if Bernie continues to alienate the party and infuriate his supporters against Hillary. The pollsters and pundits have been wrong all year, I think they're wrong at just how easily Hillary will win the General Election.

JP_

Banned
I am not as certain. Especially if Bernie continues to alienate the party and infuriate his supporters against Hillary. The pollsters and pundits have been wrong all year, I think they're wrong at just how easily Hillary will win the General Election.

lol it won't be Sanders fault if Clinton loses against Trump. Her scandals have been steadily bringing her polling down since 2013. I'll be voting for her regardless but she's definitely a compromised candidate.

edit: this is what I'm talking about http://elections.huffingtonpost.com...,R,I,N&selected=favorable,unfavorable&fudge=1

(Sanders announced his campaign on Feb 1st 2016 -- if anything, her decline has actually slowed since then)

Uh the polling generally has been pretty rock solid. People saying Trump could win pointed to the polls and the people who said he couldn't win tried to argue the polls didn't matter.

"Well they said Trump couldn't win the primary so they must be wrong that he couldn't win the general election too" is a dumb perspective because "they" is so nebulous in the first place. And even a lot of pundits like Sabato, while in disbelief that it was happening, did acknowledge that Trump was the frontrunner or at least a frontrunner. Nate Silver was the only big one to really screw the pooch and he's been eating hardcore crow thanks to it.

Trump got to where he is by throwing away the race dog whistle and trading it for a megaphone. That's not going to work in the general election and he's done nothing to reform his strategy. I think he has a chance, and not a nonsignificant one, but anyone trying to argue Clinton isn't a definitive favorite at this stage (Trump is enjoying a party coalescing behind him and it still isn't putting him in the lead - his best is losing by as much as Romney) is only doing so based on feelings and not facts.

Did you read the article or just the headline?

The article actually contridicts the headline numerous times throughout, but really it's horribly written in the first place and seems amateurish at best. What a hack writer.

Not sure if any part of this post is actually serious.

1) The article's points don't contradict themselves:

- Dem-leaning independents are independents in name and party registration only. Clinton is doing worse with this group, while Sanders is doing really well, and this is directly impacting the "independent" support for each candidate in GE head-to-heads.

- Neither candidate is doing particularly well with independents who actually behave as nonpartisan (and personally, I'd argue that only having 65% name recognition after $200 million spent and 5 months of campaigning is doing a poor job). He's certainly not doing well enough with this group to justify the premise that he has a Huge Advantage with this group.

Sanders did slightly better with Democratic-leaning independents (71 percent favorable) than he did with plain-old Democrats (68 percent favorable), but that appeal does not seem to extend to true independents — those who are most likely to change party allegiances between elections and whose split between the Republican and Democratic candidates nearly matched the split in the nation overall in the last two elections, according to the ANES. In the Gallup poll, Sanders had a 35 percent favorable rating among independents who don’t lean toward either party. Clinton’s favorable rating with that group was 34 percent. Trump’s was a ridiculously low 16 percent.

2) Enten a hack? Horribly written and amateurish? Talk about hyperbolic. Maybe the title should read more like "Sanders Isn’t Doing As Well With True Independents As He'd Like You To Believe", but I understood the points being made after a single reading.

So 3) Yes, I did read the article and not just the headline. Maybe you should give it another reading without dismissing it out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom