• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clubhouse Games Official Euro Thread (dump friend codes here)

maxmars

Sp3eD said:
Somebody play a game of chess and tell me how the AI is plus how long it takes for it to move at high difficulty levels.

The AI is not grandmaster level, but it is fun. There are three levels: easy, normal and difficult.

The first two are for people who never played chess or that want instant gratification by winning "against the computer", the last one is somewhat better in that it doesn't make a tactical blunder every other move, but it still does not pose a credible threat to any serious chess player.

I give it a rating of about 1500 computer ELO -- you will win but you have to plan your attack.

The computer can take anywhere from 0 to 10 seconds for a move at the "difficult" level, while at the other levels it moves instantly.

The real deal is playing online; I already played two matches (couldn't find anyone of the people listed here but it's only a matter of time <g>) and they were good matches.

Neither of those people disconnected and both thanked me after the match, which of course I did too; this is not xbox live-like for the moment, luckily.

Oh and I could find an opponent quickly both times, apparently it's the only game of the bunch at the moment that you can try out online without waiting. I only have a two days anedoctal experience, however.

So, apparently, here is another must buy for the Nintendo DS...Goddamnit :x .
Bah...I will try to get the USB Wifi dongle by the way.

jdforge

Banned
Have been playing this for most of the day, and must admit I've had lots of fun both on and offline.

The games really do become more exciting online, and waiting can be an issue on some games, but generally, there is always someone lurking about to play with.

Every person I played over WiFi with were very friendly, and thankful of every game - Very nice to see.

For less than £20, this really is another must have for DS, and it's a game that anyone can get atleast some enjoyment from.

A few members of my family tried it out today and got on really well with it. So yeah, I would highly reccommend this game, it was a pleasant surprise.

I had nothing but good experiences today also. It's actually a good way to handle chat with randoms. Played a 3 hour marathon 7p game as well. The inclusion of pictochat for friends is inspired, even if you're knocked out early in a game, you can just doodle away. Had an absolute blast playing bowling, boxes and especially balance. That thing gets bloody tense in 7p. :)

There's 42 games, on there, but I think the online limit is around 32 - mainly because the ones you can't play are single player games.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Chibbi Brady said:
It's 42 games, but 37 can only be played online. Don't know which ones didn't make the cut.
Think it's out Oct 10th in the US.

Most of the ones you cant play online are in the solitare section.

Just had an awesome few games of checkers online. I'd probably be tempted to buy the game if it was just 1 All Time Classic - Checkers.

Anybody online now? Still haven't played anyone from here.

maxmars

TheGreatDave said:
Just had an awesome few games of checkers online. I'd probably be tempted to buy the game if it was just 1 All Time Classic - Checkers.

Anybody online now? Still haven't played anyone from here.

Sometimes when I'm online I see my icon shaking, is it an indication any of you guys is searching for people in their friends list?

I also first look for you guys online and only after I go playing with whoever is online, but sooner or later we'll meet, don't worry. :D

Danj

Anyone got any ideas how to complete Escape? It's a sliding block puzzle where you have to rearrange the blocks to get the 2x2 block out of the exit on the right:

It's the last puzzle in Stamp mode, and being single-player it doesn't have a "lose" option. The game claims it can be done in a minimum of 24 moves, but I can't see how. (apologies for the crappy image btw, it's a quick-n-dirty recreation of the puzzle in Excel)

Danj

Bo130 said:
I don't have the game yet, but I just completed that in paint with your picture. You have any idea on how I can explain the solution to you easy?

Maybe assign numbers to the blocks and then give a list of block numbers and directions?

EDIT: never mind, somebody else managed to solve it and explain it with pictures :) Thanks very much to Cruzz from #animesuki @ ZiRC! I zipped up the images he sent me and anyone who is interested can grab the zip file.

Ninja Dom

Here's my Friends Code, 0473-2394-9517.

Anybody know how to tell if a Fruiend has come online while you're in the middle of a Worldwide game??

From what I can tell there is no indication that Friends are online at the same time.

Danj

Ranger X said:
Is there a GO game in there?

There's chess, checkers, shogi and Connect Five, but no Go. I think it might be because Go is difficult for computers to play?

Koren

One of my relatives, GAF-reader but currently stuck in the registration process, send me its friend codes to join us. Many thanks to the owner of the thread for adding them to the list...

Naix : 3264 9689 5524
Valy : 4123 9630 8244

Ranger X

Danj said:
There's chess, checkers, shogi and Connect Five, but no Go. I think it might be because Go is difficult for computers to play?

You bet it's not the reason. Chess is harder to program.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
uh, go is by far the hardest board game to program due to the incredible amount of possible moves.

Anyway, the cpu is way too ****ing agressive in blackjack.

Ranger X

sp0rsk said:
uh, go is by far the hardest board game to program due to the incredible amount of possible moves.

Anyway, the cpu is way too ****ing agressive in blackjack.

You have the game already basturd?
How's the Spades game? That's my first interest really.

maxmars

Ranger X said:

On the other hand there's also a lot of literature out there for chess programs (just see winboard, UCI and the likes), plus quite a few open source engines which you could just incorporate without licensing problems.

Ranger X

maxmars said:
On the other hand there's also a lot of literature out there for chess programs (just see winboard, UCI and the likes), plus quite a few open source engines which you could just incorporate without licensing problems.

True that ;)

Bo130

I got it today. Like it so far! I'm off tomorrow, so please add me - I'll add all in the first post now :)

1546 - 9838 - 0364

Koren

Ranger X said:
Not by a hundred miles... You have very good chess AI, that can challenge excellent players, and best ones can regularly beat professionnals.

There is no go program that can beat a good go player. As soon as problem are no more local life and death problems or joseki sequences, computer are inefficient since they can only see a few moves in advance, when go moves have sometimes results that only appear one hundred moves laters.

andthebeatgoeson

radioheadrule83 said:
There are sets of icons built in, and you unlock more via mission mode.
There's animals, nature, faces and food categories to begin with.

Only played about 10 minutes and this is already the best Wifi game for DS. Possibly the best game.
I'm so excited about this game. Day 1 purchase. Spades, checkers, chess, poker, etc all on one cart? Genius. I'll be looking forward to more DS online games like this than anything.

Dyls, I appreciate you keeping the 1st post updated. I hope you can keep it up. Thanks, dooder.

maxmars

Koren said:
computer are inefficient since they can only see a few moves in advance, when go moves have sometimes results that only appear one hundred moves laters.

To be perfectly candid, I'd have problems figuring 100 moves ahead just as well.

I've just seen a TV spot for this game during Wife Swap. It was alright - just a bunch of people looking into their DS and shouting the game they were playing.

ksamedi

Ranger X said:

Chess is easy tp program, its basic 1st/2nd year computer science college stuff. Go on the other hand is very difficult to program because you cant apply the min-max algorithm for it. Its more a game of patterns which computers are bad at, a lot of research is going on in that area.
Even chess can be difficult for the min-max algorithms because of the inherent complexity of the game. For instance, no computer has ever played a perfect game of chess while it is possible (theoretically) to do so. The chess computer that beat kasparov was also a monster machine. Its no wonder that the DS cant do much in that area, even super computers have difficulty.

jgkspsx

ksamedi said:
The chess computer that beat kasparov was also a monster machine. Its no wonder that the DS cant do much in that area, even super computers have difficulty.
Chessmaster GBA has a very difficult AI for most people. Hell, Chessmaster on my cell phone is pretty tough. I'm betting Nintendo didn't want to alienate people.

I'm still waiting on the Telegames compilations, but I'll try this out.

dyls

skinnyrattler said:
I'm so excited about this game. Day 1 purchase. Spades, checkers, chess, poker, etc all on one cart? Genius. I'll be looking forward to more DS online games like this than anything.

Dyls, I appreciate you keeping the 1st post updated. I hope you can keep it up. Thanks, dooder.

chrisrocktohostoscarsnomore2iu4.jpg

"I take care of my threads!"

Although I would love it if a mod would change the title to something about friend codes, and get rid of the voice chat bit.

Koren

maxmars said:
To be perfectly candid, I'd have problems figuring 100 moves ahead just as well.
You wouldn't really... I mean, Go is played differently than chess. You can play a stone, leave it and forget it, look at a different part of the board for twenty moves, play elswhere during thirty moves, and go back to that stone. Think about pawns battle in chess, but to a whole new level : you advance a pawn because you can see its effect without thinking to all the moves until promotion. Computers are very bad at it. That's the reason Kasparov purposed a new game combining chess and computers (computer think and analyze, player plans using computer results).

jgkspsx said:
I'm still waiting on the Telegames compilations
Same here... Any news about it ?

By the way, poker games in CHG are quite bad, is there a good poker game on DS, and does it features online play ?

Roelatie

I got mine copy yesterday and i was hooked for the whole night playing checkers, poker and off course Bowling :lol

The chat function is pretty fun! i'll post my FC tonight

Top Bottom