• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Undocumented Immigrant is Being Deported 5 Minutes After Being Told She Can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephLuis

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they were willing to let her stay until the found that she had fake papers to get into the US in 2005. I am not american, nor I know about your immigration laws, but could that have been the reason of the deportation ?

No comparison.

Vehicles are machines. They can malfunction, the terrain they are on affects their movement, roadways are intended to be as clutter free as possible (although thats not always the case as we know) those are jsut SOME of the reasons is why the "cops" and "judges" usually allow 5 miles over the limit. How is any of that comparable to someonbe who snuck in illegally? Especially maliciously at first from what I am reading? We don't even know here actual chracter and even if we did how many exceptions do we have to grant? People keep pretending the bad ones don't exist, yet they do do we make an exceptions EVERYTIME and risk it?
So why are you making definite judgments, generalizations, and assumptions?

And the point is that the law isn't immutable, thus the exceptions and leniency based on context and situation given in the case of speeding. Why should someone with a American family and who has been living and working her years be treated with the same harshness as a drug trafficker?

Hell, even killing someone doesn't have a single punishment and consequence for all scenarios (manslaughter, murder in the 1st, 2nd, etc.)

commedieu

Banned
Most of Obama's deportations were non criminal.

FT_16.08.30_deportations_removals.png

Well ill be. That doesn't paint a picture of being toothless.

Well ill be. That doesn't paint a picture of being toothless.

Kind of interesting how a person will throw their own argument just one post ago under the bus to be "right".

Or maybe it's just what happens when you start using facts for your arguments instead of party talking points.

Let's not forget the main reason republicans so desperately want airtight borders is because they want to restrict citizenship possibilities from people who are far more likely to vote democrat

Let's not forget the main reason republicans so desperately want airtight borders is because they want to restrict citizenship possibilities from people who are far more likely to vote democrat

The opposite is also true so there doesn't sem to be a point here.

So why are you making definite judgments, generalizations, and assumptions?

And the point is that the law isn't immutable, thus the exceptions and leniency based on context and situation given in the case of speeding. Why should someone with a American family and who has been living and working her years be treated with the same harshness as a drug trafficker?

You do know by coming into the country illegally they broke the law and it's basically not an out of this world assumptions she got married to citizens to loophole out of the consequences of that. She isn't a citizen, and is taking resources from citizens.

I mean I understand people don't want to break up families but do we need an exception EVERYTIME?

But anyway I already spoke by opinion on this subject.

Most of Obama's deportations were non criminal.

FT_16.08.30_deportations_removals.png

How is this toothless? Deportations increased during Obama's tenure and continuing to deport non-criminals is exactly what this thread is about

You do know by coming into the country illegally they broke the law and it's basically not an out of this world assumptions she got married to citizens to loophole out of the consequences of that. She isn't a citizen, and is taking resources from citizens.

I mean I understand people don't want to break up families but do we need an exception EVERYTIME?

She works and has contributed to our society during her time as citizens to support her family so how can you say she's just blanket taking away from other US citizens? Why did we need to deport her this time?

There is a point when you consider that a majority of current GOP policy revolves around rewarding the rich, harming the poor, the silencing, destruction, and violation of the rights of marginalized social groups and denial of science.

commedieu

Banned
Kind of interesting how a person will throw their own argument just one post ago under the bus to be "right".

Or maybe it's just what happens when you start using facts for your arguments instead of party talking points.

Hey, mistakes happen. I can admit that.

Dude is in here defending his position and not making ad hominem attacks and you call him a racist in a gif. Great contribution. Why not actually debate him?

I don't see the value in deporting his woman, but I also understand that our immigration laws are mostly toothless
No he isn't. He hasn't defended anything. He's posted by the book talking points and said "this side is this way and this side is the other way" as if nuance and situations aren't disparate.

Our immigration laws aren't toothless. If they were there wouldn't even be border stations. Less than 12 million undocumented workers live in the united States. Just around 3.3% of the total population. That's nothing. That is an utterly insignificant number that's been almost entirely unchanged for decades and yet it's now suddenly a boogyman

What fucking "every time".

Look at the graph above with deportations rising constantly and tell me which part of that graph constitutes to "every time"?

What the hell are you even talking about?

Yes, everytime. Breaking up a family should never be the first or default option when the person has established a family for years.

As for your other point, you really see them as parasites like that? "Taking resources from citizens", as if that's their only function?

I didn't suggest she go unpunished. I suggested community service or a fine of some sort.

The point is, 'she broke the law, ergo we shouldn't have any sympathy for her having the harshest punishment for entering the country illegally thrown at her, no matter how long she has lived here, or what cost to the country carrying out her punishment holds'.

I'm going to throw some hypotheticals:

Say she was the bread winner for the family. So instead of letting her legally earn money and contribute taxes to society, instead, we pay to deport her and then have to put her whole family on welfare.

Someone who's job requires a clean drivers license gets pulled over and given a speeding ticket for going one mile over the speed limit.

Fuck them right?

Despite most people doing that not suffering that punishment. They still broke the law. The cop and the judge shouldn't get any blowback from ignoring how minor the infraction was, and ignoring that the guys living hinged on having a clean drivers license.

But we don't have to have empathy for people who weren't born in America because no matter how desperate the situation they left to come here despite not having the legal right to do so, they committed a crime in doing so. Ergo, we don't have to care one iota. Because they did a bad.

Can I ask if you are an American citizen?

The number rose throughout the early Bush years and went down/stablized during the late Bush/Obama years

PH_2016.09.20_Unauthorized-02.png

Did you know that you can't just take any random graph and compare "the numbers" directly?

One graphs shows deportation, the other shows population of undocumented immigrants.

You can't contradict someone's interpretation of one graph with unrelated data from a totally different one.

You've even gone so far as to disprove the only point you originally tried to make by showing that the in your opinion "toothless" immigration laws actually halted, reduced slightly and halted the previous ongoing rise of illegal immigrant population with their ever increasing deportations.

At this stage, do you actually know what your point is?

The number rose throughout the early Bush years and went down/stablized during the late Bush/Obama years

PH_2016.09.20_Unauthorized-02.png

I was commenting on the number of deportations, not the unauthorized immigrant population. Deportations continued to increase under Obama, albeit at a much slower rate.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
You've even gone so far as to disprove the only point you originally tried to make by showing that the in your opinion "toothless" immigration laws actually halted, reduced slightly and halted the previous ongoing rise of illegal immigrant population with their ever increasing deportations.

At this stage, do you actually know what your point is?
You don't think the undocumented population going from 3.5 million in 1990 to 11 million today shows that it's pretty easy to get in this country and stay here?

Then why did it need to be made worse instead of just more discerning?

I saw what you wrote so I'm going to answer it. She has kids who were citizens. By the very fact that she had to work hard to support them, she was in turn a contributing member of society. Why deport her save as anything but retribution?

There are americans working hard as well as citizens. Whom also have families. Some of which may or may not be impacted by the services provided to her, intead of citizens.

It's not like I'm saying that's always the case but so many people on the amnesty wagon pretend it NEVER HAPPENS. Like the people saying most don't do gangs or bring in drugs (even though it's a serious problem) or most sayign that illegals are usually paying taxes (which is not always the case) or are of good character (which is not always the case)

I agree with that most of the time. But the issue is that many people, including numerous in this thread i think it's safe to assume, pretend none of the bad stuff EVER happens.

The logical mindset is to at least draw a line. I am sure we can compromise on what the line is, it may not HAVE to be deportation. But a line should be drawn, we can't just pretend nothing bad will ever happen every time from a criminal, to a person whom is taking resources from an american citizen directly or indirectly, to the ones who are causing issues in places like NH. I mean yes, there are a lot of good immigrants that are legal, that do pay taxes, the issues is that by default when having conversations like this many of you default to those issues that do happen never existing, so don't mind constant amnesty and second chances every single time, and yet in some cases like people in NH will complain about people trying to control illegal immiigration to prevent the problem their sons and daughters are having while at the same time pretending those problems don't exist or have a chance of happening when it's happened before.

I mean as the guy earlier said, he said we should not break a family "everytime" yet we have no idea whether or what she is getting for her family might impact another, we don't know her character or if she connected with something, we don't know if she is avoiding other laws or taxes as a non-resident.

I mean she may be an exception. She may be an amazing person. Ok, but what is its wrong in the future? it has happened before, yet when having conversations like this people act as if it doesn't and that every single time they are as good as this individual.

This is exactly how we ended up with Dr.orange as president. Because we had news reports of such issues whether intended or not, and people pretended it didn't' happen. Thus ignoring the "possibility" of it happening , and so refuse to find a compromise on where to draw the line.

Hopefully this whole post elaborates what my thoughts are on the matter.

Wow........

I don't even know what to say.........Yet it's all falling into place.

So basically, your defense of fucking her American family up is:

1) WHY WONT YOU ADMIT THERE ARE SOME BAD HOMBRES?

2) Sure she has a family, but what if her American kids are taking what other American kids with nice American moms "could be getting" (?).. All American s are equal. Except you with your beamer mom. Getting all our stuff! Fuckers.

3) This is why Trump is president. You people won t acknowledge the bad hombres!

4) She might be a good person now, but she might turn into a bad person?

Man.......

Watches ad for 4 minute abs: "This is why Trump won and I will ignore that many Trump voters grew up under Jim Crow."

fwiw, Obama's definition of "deportation" was wildly different than every other president. Obama listed people who were caught at the border and sent back as a deportation and no president before him listed those events as deportations.

Wow........

I don't even know what to say.........Yet it's all falling into place.

So basically, your defense of fucking her American family up is:

1) WHY WONT YOU ADMIT THERE ARE SOME BAD HOMBRES?

2) Sure she has a family, but what if her American kids are taking what other American kids with nice American moms "could be getting" (?).. All American s are equal. Except you with your beamer mom. Getting all our stuff! Fuckers.

3) This is why Trump is president. You people won t acknowledge the bad hombres!

4) She might be a good person now, but she might turn into a bad person?

Man.......

The fact your ignoring the possibilities of something that has happened before is why i fear for 2018.

Heck i even said it doesn't have to be deportation just we need to draw a line and have SOME form of control. We can't just have people walk in and get off scott free every time under every scenario.

It's amazing how there was a perfect compromise bill between both sides passed that Republicans killed because they don't see undocumented immigrants as people. Whenever people go on about securing the boarders Republicans don't give a fuck if it means people get to to stay who have lived here for years.

Even from a completely selfish standpoint immigrants have contributed greatly to our economy

Literally the only good reason to take the hardline stance is pure hatred because it's not based on any data.

The fact your ignoring the possibilities of something that has happened before is why i fear for 2018.

Heck i even said it doesn't have to be deportation just we need to draw a line and have SOME form of control. We can't just have people walk in and get off scott free every time under every scenario.

Fuck are you talking about? Obama got the nickname "deporter in chief", setting records, by letting people just walk in with no consequence?

You're funny.

And unless you or someone else present me with evidence that she is one of your "bad hombres", I will not be treating her like one.

Just like how I don't assume every black person stopped by police actually did anything wrong, just because of whatever the black version of "bad hombres" is. "The inner city gangs!" Maybe?

Tell me what she did and I'll judge her for it.

Tell me to pre-judge "cause you k ow what those people are like" and I'll tell you where to go.

Fuck are you talking about? Obama got the nickname "deporter in chief", setting records, by letting people just walk in with no consequence?

You're funny.

And unless you or someone else present me with evidence that she is one of your "bad hombres", I will not be treating her like one.

Just like how I don't assume every black person stopped by police actually did anything wrong, just because of whatever the black version of "bad hombres" is. "The inner city gangs!" Maybe?

Tell me what she did and I'll judge her for it.

Tell me to pre-judge "cause you k ow what those people are like" and I'll tell you where to go.

He also had the Nickname "amenesty" because of how many people he let in and how many he "attempted' to let in, like that one bill that would legalize 5 million+ illegals.

Also your comparisons are bad. Black people didn't illegally go into the inner cities

Also you can judge her for initially, with malicious intent, entering the country. there's your judge.

The reason this is an issue is that no line is drawn and guys thinking like you haven't went up to the other site to compromise on how the control the situation.

Right now there are only to options, everyone walks in scott free or any attempt at controlling illegal immigration is racist. How about we control the borders without being racist?

I mean one of the reasons why Trumps immigration proposals got support was because it was basically the only other choice. Some Blacks and hispanics voted for him on that same issues for the same reason I just supplied.

Heck remembering the numbers I saw for Penn and michigan on election night if those african americans that voted for trump were cut he would have lost.

There are not only two options. Democrats and a few Republicans put together a compromise bill that would have strengthened border control while helping those already here and the Republican base forced that bill dead.

This idea that Obama just wanted open borders is ludicrous. He only went through executive order because there was nothing being done to stop families from being ripped apart.

He also had the Nickname "amenesty" because of how many people he let in and how many he "attempted' to let in, like that one bill that would legalize 5 million+ illegals.

Also your comparisons are bad. Black people didn't illegally go into the inner cities

Also you can judge her for initially, with malicious intent, entering the country. there's your judge.

The reason this is an issue is that no line is drawn and guys thinking like you haven't went up to the other site to compromise on how the control the situation.

Right now there are only to options, everyone walks in scott free or any attempt at controlling illegal immigration is racist. How about we control the borders without being racist?

I mean one of the reasons why Trumps immigration proposals got support was because it was basically the only other choice. Some Blacks and hispanics voted for him on that same issues for the same reason I just supplied.

Heck remembering the numbers I saw for Penn and michigan on election night if those african americans that voted for trump were cut he would have lost.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Your understanding of my co.parison is atrocious.

Who has called Obama racist for being deporter in chief?

Who apart from you in this thread, has been trying to talk about ALL immigrants?

And there is not a single person in this thread who does not acknowledge owledge that she broke immigration law.

The only arguments being made were the effects of the chosen punishment on American citizens.

Not a single person in this thread has advocated for no law and no punishment at all despite how much you propose it has.

Before you started posting, the discussion was about proportionality of punishment. Since then you've seemed to want to make it about everyone who isn't this woman and dumping her into the same group as drug traffickers and gang members for some fucking reason, "cause you know, them people" amirite.

With your "why won't you guys accept that these people do bad things" and "her impure American kids might be taking our pure American kids stuff" as a way to explain away why you support destroying "impure" American kids families.

There are not only two options. Democrats and a few Republicans put together a compromise bill that would have strengthened border control while helping those already here and the Republican base forced that bill dead.

This idea that Obama just wanted open borders is ludicrous. He only went through executive order because there was nothing being done to stop families from being ripped apart.

I never said obama wanted open broders, I'm just saying it devolved into just two choices.

No it's not the republicans, why do people pretend the democrats never do anything to screw up a potential compromise as well? it's not one way. Most of their base don't even want border control. it's like democrats have learned no lessons from Nov.8th and Dec 19th.

Except you know, that one side doesn't involve ruining lives, and that I've never seen a democrat who wanted literally no border control. And again, why does the punishment have to be deportation in all cases?

Ok I'm just going to say I believe theres a lot of anger at me and I don't think people realize what lessons have not been learned from the election.

Anyway please continue on with the thread.

(also to above poster i said 4 times there can be a compromise without deportation if you guys listened to people instead of being on the attack like the representatives always do we might get something actually done)

I never said obama wanted open broders, I'm just saying it devolved into just two choices.

No it's not the republicans, why do people pretend the democrats never do anything to screw up a potential compromise as well? it's not one way. Most of their base don't even want border control. it's like democrats have learned no lessons from Nov.8th and Dec 19th.

Do you have a source for that?

Any at all?

Show me a single link. A YouTube video. An article.

Damn, you're leaving the thread. Now we'll never know.

Ok I'm just going to say I believe theres a lot of anger at me and I don't think people realize what lessons have not been learned from the election.

Anyway please continue on with the thread.

(also to above poster i said 4 times there can be a compromise without deportation if you guys listened to people instead of being on the attack like the representatives always do we might get something actually done)

Except there's one reason why republicans don't want a compromise: They want to reduce the democrat voting base at all costs. Same reason they use restrictive voter ID laws that are designed to stop black people from voting. Even if there was never a path to citizenship for these people, republicans would still oppose because their children could become citizens who would likely lean democrat.

Democrats had the votes to pass the bill if Republicans would have joined on. Go spread your both sides this is why trump won bullshit elsewhere

Except there's one reason why republicans don't want a compromise: They want to reduce the democrat voting base at all costs. Same reason they use restrictive voter ID laws that are designed to stop black people from voting. Even if there was never a path to citizenship for these people, republicans would still oppose because their children could become citizens who would likely lean democrat.

And dems want amnesty for the same thing. They want mass legalization of existing immigrants and want less deportations for recent illegals.

There no line in the middle and its clear in my opinion. but anyway please continue the thread.

(also to above poster there were issues in it the republicans didin't like in the bill which is why it was not passed, you can't just keep thinking everything is a one way road because you want to that's exactly why Trump won and you can continue to deny it all the way to 2018 when things get worse.)

And dems want amnesty for the same thing. They want mass legalization of existing immigrants and want less deportations for recent illegals.

There no line in the middle and its clear in my opinion. but anyway please continue the thread.

Except again, one side is actively making people's lives better for personal gain, and the other is actively ruining lives for personal gain. It's like arguing that Democrats are against racist voter id laws because they prevent democratic leaning populations from voting. Technically true, except one side needs a lot more justification than the other

(also to above poster there were issues in it the republicans didin't like in the bill which is why it was not passed
, you can't just keep thinking everything is a one way road because you want to that's exactly why Trump won and you can continue to deny it all the way to 2018 when things get worse.)

That's called a fucking compromise. Dear lord

Your posts are literally just repeating this is why Trump won over and over.

Prologue

Hopefully she finds a way to stay. Real sucky situation. Out of all the things going on in the world, out of all the things going in our own country, she should be the least of anyone's concern, law being broken or not.

Knew a few undocumented immigrants while I was growing up, extremely humble people. Never caused any trouble. Sending a 40 year old mother with two kids, who have been here for over a decade, doesn't do anything for the world.

Edit: (also Aaron having a bunch of people with no vetting and not knowing or caring they are dangerous is just as bad a voter Id suppression laws)

That's called a fucking compromise. Dear lord

Both parties need to agree despite the issues that may still be prevalent to be a compromise. i don't get why this is so hard for you guys to get so I'm done. it literally baffles me. Its like no lessons were learned, absolutely nothing.

Please continue on with the thread.

Both parties need to agree despite the issues that may still be prevalent to be a compromise. i don't get why this is so hard for you guys to get so I'm done. it literally baffles me. Its like no lessons were learned, absolutely nothing.

Complete and utter bullshit. This why Trump won

(also to above poster there were issues in it the republicans didin't like in the bill which is why it was not passed, you can't just keep thinking everything is a one way road because you want to that's exactly why Trump won and you can continue to deny it all the way to 2018 when things get worse.)
You really saying that wanting to restrict and damage people's lives to help their own ends, and wanting to offer more assistance/amnesty/paths to citizenship, are the same thing?

Edit: (also Aaron having a bunch of people with no vetting and not knowing or caring they are dangerous is just as bad a voter Id suppression laws)

The strawman
Literally nobody is suggesting this should be the case. If people are caught illegally crossing the border they should be turned back. If they've lived here for years without any incident they should be given a fine or some other sort of punishment. If they're caught doing a serious crime they should be deported. Literally nobody is calling for 100% open borders

Also how is letting people into the country without any vetting anywhere NEAR as bad as purposefully trying to prevent a large subset of citizens from exerting their right to vote?

The strawman
Literally nobody is suggesting this should be the case. If people are caught illegally crossing the border they should be turned back. If they've lived here for years without any incident they should be given a fine or some other sort of punishment. If they're caught doing a serious crime they should be deported. Literally nobody is calling for 100% open borders
Pretty much. The right loves to spin it as democrats and liberals want open borders, no vetting, let everyone in no questions asked, which isn't even remotely truth

Dynasty

Democrats have tried to comprimise several times with the republicans but they just seem to put party before country. They opposed Obama's stimulus bill before even recieving the details, the republicans refuse to comprimise.
Gun Control? Democatics are stealing our guns.
http://swampland.time.com/2012/08/23/the-party-of-no-new-details-on-the-gop-plot-to-obstruct-obama/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom