• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:BOCW Has Upgrade Path for PlayStation but not for Xbox

ethomaz

Banned
UPDATE 1

MS seems to be allowed the $10 upgrade path on digital version.
Physical version continue without upgrade path.

The digital part of the text removed the evaluation message.

• PlayStation 4 will have an option to upgrade to PlayStation 5 through the PlayStation Store.
  • Xbox One will have an option to upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store at launch.

ORIGINAL

Should you call out Activison?

Screenshot_2020-08-26_at_19.58.15.png

The cover for both versions.

Left: Xbox One version ($60) that doesn't allow upgrade to Xbox Series X version but you can play it via BC on Series X.
Right: Xbox Series X version ($70) that include both version of the game.

coldwarxboxcrj31.png

Digital upgrade is still under evaluation on Xbox.

Both digital console versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War offer upgrades, within the same console family, from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5.

- PlayStation 4 will have an option to upgrade to PlayStation 5 through the PlayStation Store.
- Xbox One upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available. Please see information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

That link says this:
Next-generation upgrade options for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

Both digital console versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War offer upgrades, within the same console family, from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5.

PlayStation 4 will have an option to upgrade to PlayStation 5 through the PlayStation Store.
Xbox One upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available. Please see information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.

ethomaz

Banned
That link says this:
Next-generation upgrade options for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

PlayStation 4 will have an option to upgrade to PlayStation 5 through the PlayStation Store.
Xbox One upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available. Please see information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.
Continue reading...

Xbox One version cannot be upgraded to Xbox Series X. Please note: Please see the information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
So they have 2 physical versions for xbox. One that plays just on current gen $59 and a version that plays on current gen Xbox and next gen xbox $69

The PS4 physical version and be used on PS5 but for a upgrade fee.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So they have 2 physical versions for xbox. One that plays just on current gen $59 and a version that plays on current gen Xbox and next gen xbox $69

The PS4 physical version and be used on PS5 but for a upgrade fee.
You can play both PS4 and XB1 version for free on PS5/NewXbox via BC but you can only upgrade to next-gen version on PS5.

I can't find in any place it says the upgrade path have a fee.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

i wonder of its cause xbox treats each game as one, whether its xbox one or series x... and i guess they cant put updates behind paysall

where as on PS they are separate executables so can just be bought on store

kinda pathetic either way, it will literally just be settings turned up...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sounds like they are "evaluating" a way to circumvent Microsoft's you can't charge for upgrades policy.

"Xbox One upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available. Please see information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle."

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
You can play both PS4 and XB1 version for free on PS5/NewXbox via BC but you can only upgrade to next-gen version on PS5.

I can't find in any place it says the upgrade path have a fee.

They have two versions on PlayStation PS4 $59 and PS5 $69, I doubt they are going to be giving away free money if that was the case the PS4 and PS5 one be one version.

ethomaz

Banned
They have two versions on PlayStation PS4 $59 and PS5 $69, I doubt they are going to be giving away free money if that was the case the PS4 and PS5 one be one version.
That is reasonable... it just there is nothing about that fee in the FAQ.

Pallas

I guess that was part of the 3rd party deals from Sony? Unless they just plan on releasing a One version(still lol)

Exactly what the OP is showing.... no upgrade path for Xbox users... I'm not in the green side but I found that very amusing from Activion.

Why Activision?
Why is it amusing and I don’t think anyone would mistake you for being on the “green side”

Last edited:

pasterpl

Requires disc to play on ps5 so DE owners will have to buy the digital version of cod again. Also this is interesting;

Next-Gen Physical Standard Edition – PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X
  • PlayStation 5 Standard Edition: Includes the PlayStation 5 version of the game on disc. The PlayStation 5 Standard Edition works on the PlayStation 5 console with a disc drive. This version of the game will not operate on a discless PlayStation 5. For a version of Black Ops Cold War that is compatible with the discless PlayStation 5, please refer to the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.
  • Xbox Series X Standard Edition: Includes both the Xbox Series X and Xbox One version of the game on disc.

should I create a thread for this???

iJudged

Banned
so basically, they know PS5 is going to sell like crazy, therefore many CoDs will be sold and upgrade is free for PS5, meanwhile they're going to try and squeeze every penny out of XO1/XsX owners because they know the ratio between PS5 and XsX sold is going to be something 3 to 1.

Is my logic tainted?

ethomaz

Banned
Why is it amusing and I don’t think anyone would mistake you for being on the “green sude
That already happened here in GAF not only once lol
Yes I was shocked the first time... I should have bookmarked the post.

Last edited:
OP, instead of clarifying for every single post, just update the OP with the info breakdown. For Xbox Series X, no path on physical, and evaluating digital (no path as of this moment) for the standard edition.

Seems to me Phil needs to make a phone call.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Requires disc to play on ps5 so DE owners will have to buy the digital version of cod again. Also this is interesting;

should I create a thread for this???
You need to buy the digital version for the PS5 discless... I thought that was pretty clear when they announced a discless console and that is the reason I blamed Sony at time.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
I think that's fucked up and wrong. Xbox gamers should demand an upgrade path. Activision are such cunts man.

If I were Microsoft, I would forbid Activison from selling their game on the Xbox. Yes, Microsoft would loose money, but they would gain a lot of respect from consumers and send a clear message to other developers.
Totally agree with this. It's wrong to treat Xbox owners as second class citizens like this. XSX and PS5 owners should have the same upgrade path.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Some additional context:

The game is $69.99 on both PS5 and Xbox Series X. $59.99 on PS4 and Xbox One.

You can buy the the Next Gen + Current Gen bundle for $69.99 on both consoles.

On PS you can buy the PS4 version, either digital or physical, for $59.99 and pay an upgrade fee (presumably $10+) to upgrade to the PS5 version. Xbox does not have an option to upgrade for a fee.

The reason behind this is Microsoft's Smart Delivery policy. Either you use smart delivery and offer an upgrade for free or sell a current gen + next gen bundle but MSFT will not allow publishers to charge for upgrades. They wanted to encourage developers to leverage Smart Delivery and offer next gen upgrades at no cost to the user-one SKU for each game.

I would side with Microsoft on this one.

Regardless it is not really a big deal seeing as how the game will cost $70 on next gen-might as well get the bundle if you plan on getting a next gen console.

ethomaz

Banned
Some additional context:

The game is $69.99 on both PS5 and Xbox Series X. $59.99 on PS4 and Xbox One.

You can buy the the Next Gen + Current Gen bundle for $69.99 on both consoles.

On PS you can buy the PS4 version, either digital or physical, for $59.99 and pay an upgrade fee (presumably $10+) to upgrade to the PS5 version. Xbox does not have an option to upgrade for a fee.

The reason behind this is Microsoft's Smart Delivery policy. Either you use smart delivery and offer an upgrade for free or sell a current gen + next gen bundle but MSFT will not allow publishers to charge for upgrades. They wanted to encourage developers to leverage Smart Delivery and offer next gen upgrades at no cost to the user-one SKU for each game.

I would side with Microsoft on this one.

Regardless it is not really a big deal seeing as how the game will cost $70 on next gen-might as well get the bundle if you plan on getting a next gen console.
Just to add the FAQ doesn't say there is fee to upgrade but I expect to have one.... makes no sense to not have.

Last edited:

GHG

Don't care much for COD... but, if I were Microsoft, I would forbid Activison from selling their game on the Xbox. Yes, Microsoft would loose money, but they would gain a lot of respect from consumers and send a clear message to other developers.

giphy.gif

Vawn

Banned
Don't care much for COD... but, if I were Microsoft, I would forbid Activison from selling their game on the Xbox. Yes, Microsoft would loose money, but they would gain a lot of respect from consumers and send a clear message to other developers.

If you were in charge of Xbox you wouldn't allow Call of Duty on Xbox?? I don't think you'd have a job very long.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Can I pay to stop having 60 GB updates tho?

In all seriousness I'm not sure who side to be on.

On one hand charging $70 for next gen feels sleezy but that's their choice so is it bad Microosft is not allowing usersto upgrade? It feels like Microsoft is the "good guy" here but it's limiting options. But you could argue the option shouldn't be there to begin with.

Last edited:

All_Might

Here is the original blog post from PlayStation. Interesting so there are 3 versions to choose from. I was thinking about trying a shooter on a console, haven’t done that since battlefield 3.
Mcx2FQR.png

Plus there is the confirmation of the 10$ upgrade to PlayStation 5.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Should you call out Activison?

Screenshot_2020-08-26_at_19.58.15.png

Probably because you can just buy the Xbox Series X version to play on Xbox One, which can later be put into the Series X and play on there with no upgrade or charge needed. Those trying to save $10 bucks to buy the Xbox One "Only" version will not be able to play on Series X at all, confirming the price hike of games next gen.

It's all on Activision, Microsoft laid out a path for smart delivery, but greedy companies are getting ready to charge $10 more for next gen. SMH

Last edited:

onQ123

I'm pretty sure Microsoft don't want companies charging for upgrades /patches.

Also PS5 games use a new disc format that isn't playable on PS4 so you can't have both games on the same disc unless it's a small game that could fit on a normal Blu-ray.

Top Bottom