• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:BOCW Has Upgrade Path for PlayStation but not for Xbox

skneogaf

The OP still has the original text.

Against what some were assuming MS allowed the $10 upgrade path for the digital version in their store.

That makes the non-upgrade path for the physical version more confusing.

The easiest option is have it at $70 for all versions and due to its nature maybe even have it as digital only.

Not good for collection purposes but its such a confusing way for both companies.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I mean there's this.

It sounds like what's happening in my opinion.
From your link

That’s according to publishing sources with knowledge of Microsoft‘s next-gen policies, who told VGC that companies working on cross-gen games have been encouraged to offer both current and next-gen versions at no additional cost, either via Smart Delivery or their own schemes such as EA’s Dual Entitlement.

More rumours and speculation. Also only says "encouraged".

Three

From your link

More rumours and speculation. Also only says "encouraged".
"Xbox has told developers that they cannot charge players to upgrade their current-gen games to Xbox Series X versions as DLC, as an alternative to its free Smart Delivery scheme."

What more do you need? Are you intentionally being difficult?

The publisher clearly was in discussions with MS over this as they pointed out.

MrFunSocks

Banned
"Xbox has told developers that they cannot charge players to upgrade their current-gen games to Xbox Series X versions as DLC, as an alternative to its free Smart Delivery scheme."

What more do you need? Are you intentionally being difficult?

The publisher clearly was in discussions with MS over this as they pointed out.
That's a rumour. I literally quoted the part in the article lol. Here it is again:

That’s according to publishing sources with knowledge of Microsoft‘s next-gen policies, who told VGC that companies working on cross-gen games have been encouraged to offer both current and next-gen versions at no additional cost, either via Smart Delivery or their own schemes such as EA’s Dual Entitlement.

The word "encouraged" in there also doesn't point to it being mandatory.

pasterpl

it is really simple, if I buy xbsex version I will be able to play it on my xbone before I get xbsex, and when I get xbsex I can use same disc to play next gen version without any additional charges, the mental gymnastics start with PS4/ps5 version, Activision really pulled one over Sony with this. Funny taking into consideration that they have $$$ marketing deal in place.

GHG

it is really simple, if I buy xbsex version I will be able to play it on my xbone before I get xbsex, and when I get xbsex I can use same disc to play next gen version without any additional charges, the mental gymnastics start with PS4/ps5 version, Activision really pulled one over Sony with this. Funny taking into consideration that they have $$$ marketing deal in place.

Yeh and in that case you have to pay $70 to play the current gen version in the meantime.

Congratulations.

Thank you friends, I can now see and understand that mental illness is in fact a disease, as proven by how aggressively retarded some of the takes in this thread are.

To clarify, there is no equivalent being offered on the green side as it goes against their policy of TRYING TO SAVE YOU MONEY BY MAKING THE UPGRADE FREE. Hate on them for their subpar 1st party or market speak or whatever all you want but calling out MS/smart delivery like this is MSs fault for, again, trying to save you money, is the most backwards-ass take I have seen in some time and you should have a long hard look at yourself.

Sounds like a nice idea on paper but attempting to dictate what publishers can and can't do with pricing is never a good idea.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
9Pmqpt5.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
🤷🏻‍♂️

There's the series x upgrade

Why people claiming not?
more obvious impossible.
There is no upgrade path for physical XB1 disc to Xbox Series X.
And until late yesterday Activision were in talk with MS to allow the digital upgrade patch that they confirmed.

Journey

Banned
Why would you need an upgrade plan for physical? Just buy the cross-gen version.

Because it's a nothing burger created with the sauce that Sony can and MS can't. If someone is planning on getting an Xbox Series X in the future and wants to make sure they're able to play it with the upgraded assets, they can just purchase the $70 dollar disc.

It's all about oopsies. Oopsie, I bought the $60 dollar version of the Xbox CoD and now I can't upgrade to the new assets, but PS4 owners can, wha wha wha.

I can create a similar burger, watch this, if you buy the PS5 version of COD, you have no option to play it on PS4. Badum Clash!

The whole reason for this mess is because the PS5 version of CoD WILL NOT WORK on PS4, therefore they cannot sell it to you now, so they need to create an option for you to upgrade later, that's not the case with Xbox which will allow you to buy the Series X version BEFORE it launches. If they did that with the PS5, you'd have a dead copy until your PS5 arrives.

Last edited:
Are you trying to say Activision is deliberately trying to screw over Xbox users specifically?

Look at the Playstation upgrade path. You can either buy the PS5 version of the game for $70, or buy the PS4 version of the game for $60, and then if you choose to upgrade it to the PS5 version, you pay another $10 (the total is $70 either way, which is the base price of the PS5 version.)

On Xbox, the only reason you are potentially paying $60 for the Xbox One game and then another $70 for the SEX version is because MS (presumably) is not allowing the $10 upgrade path for those who bought the Xbox One game. They either require the upgrade to be free on Activision's end (which they are obviously not going to opt into), or require the customer to buy the game two separate times with no upgrade options. What other explanation is there?

PlayStation upgrade path is completely confusing for the average consumer. On Xbox, one disc, one SDK. Smart Delivery feature on Xbox means it'll supports Physical and digital. One Xbox case with Xbox Series X and Xbox One is just simple, not confusing.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Change the thread title, its completely misleading at this point as there is now a clear upgrade path for both the digital and physical versions.

$10 for digital, for physical you just buy the xbox one series x version as it includes the xbox version. (Makes you wonder why the other physical version exists maybe its $10cheaper)

Journey

Banned
Change the thread title, its completely misleading at this point as there is now a clear upgrade path for both the digital and physical versions.

$10 for digital, for physical you just buy the xbox one series x version as it includes the xbox version. (Makes you wonder why the other physical version exists maybe its $10cheaper)

Fat chance, we all know what the goal of the OP is here, he will just say that "Technically" buying the XSX bundle is not an upgrade path lol. We might as well start a thread on PS5 $70 copy not including the PS4 version thus creating another Nothing burger.

More appropriately is should say:

You cannot upgrade the base physical Xbox One version of CoD:BOCW, you'll need to buy the cross-gen bundle.

Last edited:

Kdad

PlayStation upgrade path is completely confusing for the average consumer. On Xbox, one disc, one SDK. Smart Delivery feature on Xbox means it'll supports Physical and digital. One Xbox case with Xbox Series X and Xbox One is just simple, not confusing.
How is this confusing?

I have a PS4...i buy the PS4 option and whoa...for 10$ i can 'upgrade' if I get a PS5
I have a PS5 ... I buy the PS5 version and ... it works on the PS5

I figured it out. I'm average.

ethomaz

Banned
There is two Xbox cases/SKU/disc.

1) Xbox One disc can’t be upgraded to Xbox Series X.
2) Xbox Series X discs that have both version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom