• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:BOCW Has Upgrade Path for PlayStation but not for Xbox

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wonder how long till they up PC prices? Guess cdkeys will just under cut it anyways.

fermcr

If you were in charge of Xbox you wouldn't allow Call of Duty on Xbox?? I don't think you'd have a job very long.

If Microsoft were smart, they would put consumers first and stop this BS from developers.... If developers keep treating Xbox gamers this way, what will be next? Like I said, Microsoft would loose money, but gain other things...

... and I bet it would only be for one year... Activison would learn their lesson and not make the same mistake the year after.

GHG

Can I pay to stop having 60 GB updates tho?

In all seriousness I'm not sure who side to be on.

On one hand charging $70 for next gen feels sleezy but that's their choice so is it bad Microosft is not allowing usersto upgrade? It feels like Microsoft is the "good guy" here but it's limiting options. But you could argue the option shouldn't be there to begin with.

Good luck telling Activision what to do.

I previously said this and it rings even truer today:

The unfortunate reality is that when publishers have a game that is played by such a large proportion of your userbase, they can control you (and the industry) to a certain extent.

Going into next gen Rockstar (GTAV) , EA (FIFA in Europe), Activision (COD) and Epic (Fortnite) have more control than the console manufacturers themselves.

Activision gives no fucks and will do what they want. They know Microsoft need them more than they need Microsoft.

Dumb delivery
tenor.gif

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm confused, why in the fuck's name would OP deliberately leave out this part:

Next-generation upgrade options for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
Both digital console versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War offer upgrades, within the same console family, from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5.

- PlayStation 4 will have an option to upgrade to PlayStation 5 through the PlayStation Store.
- Xbox One upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available. Please see information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.

Last edited:

onQ123

Probably because you can just buy the Xbox Series X version to play on Xbox One, which can later be put into the Series X and play on there with no upgrade or charge needed. Those trying to save $10 bucks to buy the Xbox One "Only" version will not be able to play on Series X at all, confirming the price hike of games next gen.

It's all on Activision, Microsoft laid out a path for smart delivery, but greedy companies are getting ready to charge $10 more for next gen. SMH

That's shouldn't even be possible because Series X can play all non Kinect Xbox One games.

More than likely it will just be played like a BC game but I think it will end up being unlocked in the end after a back & forth with Microsoft & Activision.

Journey

Banned
If Microsoft were smart, they would put consumers first and stop this BS from developers.... If developers keep treating Xbox gamers this way, what will be next? Like I said, Microsoft would loose money, but gain other things...

... and I bet it would only be for one year... Activison would learn their lesson and not make the same mistake the year after.

I don't think you're understanding the situation, it is Microsoft that has been promoting smart delivery, NOT Sony which have simply allowed Activision an upgrade path from their PS4 titles to PS5 by paying an extra $10. Microsoft apparently did not allow this, they wanted games to play on Xbox One X or S and to also include the option to play on Series X with the upgraded assets at no extra cost, but greedy Activision found a way to circumvent this by creating a "Separate" disc version that contains Xbox One and Series X versions for $70 dollars :mad:

Xbox One version = $60
PS4 Version = $60 + pay $10 for PS5 upgrade
Xbox One + Series X version = $70

Journey

Banned
That's shouldn't even be possible because Series X can play all non Kinect Xbox One games.

More than likely it will just be played like a BC game but I think it will end up being unlocked in the end after a back & forth with Microsoft & Activision.

Yes, but only in backward compatibility mode, NOT smart delivery with included next gen assets, that's why Activision wants to charge an extra $10 dollars, the greedy fucks. MS has been promoting Smart delivery which was supposed to be seamless and at no extra cost and many publishers are following this path, but Activision is gonna Activision.

ethomaz

Banned
The cover for both versions.

Left: Xbox One version ($60) that doesn't allow upgrade to Xbox Series X version but you can play it via BC on Series X.
Right: Xbox Series X version ($70) that include both version of the game.

coldwarxboxcrj31.png

Digital upgrade is still under evaluation on Xbox.

Last edited:

fermcr

I don't think you're understanding the situation, it is Microsoft that has been promoting smart delivery, NOT Sony which have simply allowed Activision an upgrade path from their PS4 titles to PS5 by paying an extra $10. Microsoft apparently did not allow this, they wanted games to play on Xbox One X or S and to also include the option to play on Series X with the upgraded assets at no extra cost, but greedy Activision found a way to circumvent this by creating a "Separate" disc version that contains Xbox One and Series X versions for $70 dollars :mad:

Xbox One version = $60

I get it. Activision's message was very confusing. Problem is that who purchases the Xbox One version is fu*ked.
The funny thing is that you still think Microsoft is the bad guy over here when they are simply trying to offer the upgrade version for free. Like I said before, there are rules to follow and Activision are bending those rules. Microsoft could follow the example of Apple/Google vs Epic and tell Activision to take a hike...

Last edited:

Barakov

It gets even better, want to buy physical? You don’t get access to the beta or any of the pre order bonuses, they’re digital only.

When I get it I'll just get one of the next gen versions. They can keep their beta. It's not like the MP is some huge surprise at this point.

Grinchy

Banned
I just kinda find it strange that it sounds like if you buy the standard PS4 digital edition, there's no $10 upgrade path to the PS5 digital edition. There's only an upgrade path for the physical? It's getting hard to follow.

HTK

Banned
The PS5 version is $70.

PS4 Standard Edition $59.99
PS4 Cross-Gen Bundle $69.99 (Fee to Upgrade, which could very well go away if you are purchasing for the first time on PlayStation 5.... no?)

There is no PS5 Standard Edition because you're not purchasing from the PlayStation 5. I guess my point is it's a $10 fee for playing the game on PS4 and then upgrading to PS5 down the line. But if you don't have CoD: BOCW and get a PlayStation 5 and are buying it for the first time it would be $59.99 for the Standard Edition. At least that's what I think unless I'm really missing something here, feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Should you call out Activison?

Screenshot_2020-08-26_at_19.58.15.png

The cover for both versions.

Left: Xbox One version ($60) that doesn't allow upgrade to Xbox Series X version but you can play it via BC on Series X.

coldwarxboxcrj31.png

I am so fucking confused by those two game cases. Holy shit this is going to be a NIGHTMARE for parents.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
ethomaz ethomaz you can update your OP with this information:

Both digital console versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War offer upgrades, within the same console family, from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5.

- PlayStation 4 will have an option to upgrade to PlayStation 5 through the PlayStation Store.
- Xbox One upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available. Please see information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wonder how long till they up PC prices? Guess cdkeys will just under cut it anyways.
Microsoft already upped their prices to 70 euro on Steam so they ain't much better than Activision.

So sadly soon.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Some additional context:

The game is $69.99 on both PS5 and Xbox Series X. $59.99 on PS4 and Xbox One.

You can buy the the Next Gen + Current Gen bundle for $69.99 on both consoles.

On PS you can buy the PS4 version, either digital or physical, for $59.99 and pay an upgrade fee (presumably $10+) to upgrade to the PS5 version. Xbox does not have an option to upgrade for a fee.

The reason behind this is Microsoft's Smart Delivery policy. Either you use smart delivery and offer an upgrade for free or sell a current gen + next gen bundle but MSFT will not allow publishers to charge for upgrades. They wanted to encourage developers to leverage Smart Delivery and offer next gen upgrades at no cost to the user-one SKU for each game.

I would side with Microsoft on this one.

Regardless it is not really a big deal seeing as how the game will cost $70 on next gen-might as well get the bundle if you plan on getting a next gen console.
Surely you mean €70 for the ps5 version in the EU?

Publishers must be pissed with MS for forcing them into smart delivery. Should make it easier for Sony to do deals with them.

Riky

$MSFT
I've pre ordered the Xbox cross gen version. I have a One X and a One S so I presume that's two versions and then I'm getting a Series X and a Series S if it appears. So will I get Four different versions? Will the Series S just play the One X or One S version? I need to know🤔

Journey

Banned
Surely you mean €70 for the ps5 version in the EU?

Publishers must be pissed with MS for forcing them into smart delivery. Should make it easier for Sony to do deals with them.

Yea, but at the expense of the consumer/gamer. I want the company that I support to bat for me, not take the cop-out option. We need to vote with our wallets, unfortunately, see Gif above.

Chittagong

Gold Member

coldwarxboxcrj31.png

This branding and cross approach is a complete clusterfuck. You brand it like there is just one version that works up and down Xboxes, but the reality is that you have two different gen versions that are nearly indistinguishable physically

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 Standard Edition $59.99
PS4 Cross-Gen Bundle $69.99 (Fee to Upgrade, which could very well go away if you are purchasing for the first time on PlayStation 5.... no?)

There is no PS5 Standard Edition because you're not purchasing from the PlayStation 5. I guess my point is it's a $10 fee for playing the game on PS4 and then upgrading to PS5 down the line. But if you don't have CoD: BOCW and get a PlayStation 5 and are buying it for the first time it would be $59.99 for the Standard Edition. At least that's what I think unless I'm really missing something here, feel free to correct me.
There is PS5 Standard Edition.

PS4 Standard Edition ($60) that play in both PS4 and PS5 (via BC) and be upgraded to PS5 version +$10.
PS5 Standard Edition ($70) can only be played on PS5.

coldwarps9gj2y.png

Last edited:

shaddam

Im ok with it. I will buy a cheap ps4 version and upgrade it just like bf4 back in the days. Hopefully the upgrade opportunity last a few months

Dane

It gets even better, want to buy physical? You don’t get access to the beta or any of the pre order bonuses, they’re digital only.

Jesus fucking christ, can't even think that Sony paid to undermine Xbox. Activision is literally tricking both sides.

Journey

Banned
There is PS5 Standard Edition.

PS4 Standard Edition ($60) than play in both PS4 and PS4 (via BC) and be upgraded to PS5 version +$10.
PS5 Standard Edition ($70) can only be played on PS5.

coldwarps9gj2y.png

Oh damn, not that it matters since anyone buying a $70 copy of the PS5 standard edition will have a PS5, but the $70 version of Xbox will be playable anywhere, so you can bring your copy to a friend that has Xbox One X, S or Series X and play it.

Where's that share video again?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Just to add the FAQ doesn't say there is fee to upgrade but I expect to have one.... makes no sense to not have.
Yes, whole situation is very confusing. If game prices are going up to $70 they should have just done one edition and supported Smart Delivery and a free upgrade on PS5-unless there was some technical hurdle.

GhostOfTsu

Banned

Xbox One version = $60

Yep, MS started all this Smart Delivery mess that sounds good for them (buy 1 get all versions) but they were expecting Publishers and developers to do all this work and next-gen visuals for free?

They basically can't sell a next-gen version now, just buy the old one and get it for free. It's unfair for third-parties.

Control, COD etc is just the start of this huge mess they created. In the end, Xbox will be penalized because Publishers will just bypass smart delivery.

Top Bottom