• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Devs at War - IW Community Manager blasts WaW Producer, calls him Super Douche

He had a legit complaint but it should have been voiced privately. This just tarnishes the brand and takes focus away from the actual game.

Igo

This guy needs to calm himself.

Handbags.jpg

edit: Maybe a little too early for that pic. Hopefully the "Super Douche" takes the high road and posts a mature response to this fool.

Pojo

Banned
While I love hearing this, it's the most unprofessional thing this guy could possibly do.

Is this game called Call of Duty 5, by the way? Or just World at War? Because I think Activision screwed up big time giving the 3rd one a number. I'd be pissed, too.

StuBurns

Banned
Pojo said:
While I love hearing this, it's the most unprofessional thing this guy could possibly do.

Is this game called Call of Duty 5, by the way? Or just World at War? Because I think Activision screwed up big time giving the 3rd one a number. I'd be pissed, too.
It's not 5. Some people speculated that it's because this will be the last WW2 one, I think it's because IW want to be the team making the numerical entries.

Farnack

Banned
Sushen said:
I found the reaction VERY unprofessional. If I were his supervisor, I'll have a talk with him making sure he won't do the same again, or... I mean there are other more proper channels to voice concerns. I hate politics at workplace.
~shoots nerfguns at you~

Pojo said:

There's no number on World at War. 4 shouldn't have had a number either, as they basically started a second series with it.

I don't really see why everyone's getting so worked up over this--he's angry because not only does this guy unfairly take shots at his team's games, his nonsense is also taking away from all that Treyarch is doing. Props to him for calling out bullshit.

GameGamer

zoku88 said:
People do this all of the time. Just because they're a (part) of a business doesn't mean they aren't people. There's nothign that should stop them from saying what they feel...

They can 'do it all the time' all they want. If I had money invested in the Call of Duty name I would be making a call to voice my opinion on having the kid reprimanded in some way.

If he HAD to say it, he should have said it in a direct email to the man himself.

They are both CoD properties. They should be helping the promotion of the franchise. Not tear each other down in public.

402 kind of comes off as the douche here. Blowing a fucking vein over google alerts?

Everyone knows IW is the superior developer and their future games will sell millions. Chill the fuck out.

Gotta love when this stuff makes headlines. "Junior douche calls Senior douche a Senior douche."

I wonder if they get Senior douche discounts...

therapist

Um it isnt one shot kill in Modern Warfare , i can confirm that.

It didnt seem to be in the cod5 beta either...unless its a headshot , but hes saying center mass...i declare shenanigans!

J-Rzez

Not surprising to say the least. Many blogs, articles, and forum posts these guys make, you can tell they've got a massive ego, especially since CoD4.

Does this guy play his own games? There are many times a "bolt-action" rifle wouldn't be a 1-shot kill to center mass. Unless it's supposed to be, and there's some shitty hit detection going on.

Core407

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Not surprising to say the least. Many blogs, articles, and forum posts these guys make, you can tell they've got a massive ego, especially since CoD4.

Does this guy play his own games? There are many times a "bolt-action" rifle wouldn't be a 1-shot kill to center mass. Unless it's supposed to be, and there's some shitty hit detection going on.

After I made my post, I thought about it for a while and realized that the only time it's a one hit kill is if its a head shot. Center mass shots will kick in the stumble animation - stunning them for a second. Center mass shots don't kill on the highest difficulty but it doesn't take 4 shots - I'd say 2 max.

bdouble

stuburns said:
It's not 5. Some people speculated that it's because this will be the last WW2 one, I think it's because IW want to be the team making the numerical entries.

No I don't think IW is claiming the numbers. I'm pretty sure Activision wants to get rid of the numbers because they will be making this game for the next 10 years.

Knowing Robert and that's he's a cool dude, I'm surprised at this but, it's no secret the relationship between Infinity Ward and Treyarch is strained, I gathered as much during COD4 press stuff, this is still pretty surprising.

One thing I have to say that when it comes to World at War, COD4 is like the elephant in the room. I was over at Treyarch in the summer to see WaW and how the fuck could I not talk about COD4, obviously that's gonna come up so it is also us journos bringing that up and not just Treyarch I'd have to say to their defense.

Why does IW get so upset at Treyarch though? If there's anyone they should be mad at it's Activision. They're the one giving out the orders. It's kinda sucky of IW to beat up on Treyarch just because that's the only company they can take their frustration out, since they probably don't want to bad mouth Activision in any way.

Comes off lame all the way around.

Chill IW. Chill. People will still want to play Modern Warfare 2. Trust this.

zam

Core407 said:
After I made my post, I thought about it for a while and realized that the only time it's a one hit kill is if its a head shot. Center mass shots will kick in the stumble animation - stunning them for a second. Center mass shots don't kill on the highest difficulty but it doesn't take 4 shots - I'd say 2 max.
I think 402 was referring to multiplayer, where bolt action rifles are 1-shot kill

Core407

Banned
zam said:
I think 402 was referring to multiplayer, where bolt action rifles are 1-shot kill

I remember playing COD2 online a lot on the Xbox 360 and it still was a 2 shot kill center mass. It would make no sense to make it a one shot kill - it would completely nullify headshots.

It's funny that the 402 guy blasts the other dude for apparently being wrong when in reality he is the one that's wrong. Bolt action rifles weren't 1 shot kills in COD2 every time. That said, the bolt action rifles in WaW are definitely NOT 1 shot kills either and in fact, when you don't have a scope you need 2-3 hits to kill someone with them so basically they are both clueless. Unless the WaW dude is talking about single player, in which case COD2 was not 1 shot kill, maybe WaW will be.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
What version of COD2 was everyone playing? I can confirm that the KAR98 would kill with just one shot in most situations. I've logged at least a 100 hundred hours on the multiplayer aspect.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Protip: Never (never ever!) publicly trash another game developer that works for the same boss as you.

I dont give a shit if IW made the hottest shit under the sun, that's just a total faux pas in game development.

Poor form, sir!

bluemax

Banned
Kodiak said:
Protip: Never (never ever!) publicly trash another game developer that works for the same boss as you.

I dont give a shit if IW made the hottest shit under the sun, that's just a total faux pas in game development.

Poor form, sir!

Totally agree. This is a small industry, and if you piss someone else off, chances are it'll come back to you sometime in the near future.

Calcaneus

This could have easily been handled internally, dude probably wrote this because he believes his studio (IW) already has the goodwill of the fanbase because of COD4, and since people are kind of down on Treyarch games he can pretty much say anything he wants and come out looking like the better man.

When in reality he could have just shut up.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Kodiak said:

Poor form, sir!

Agreed. Especially poor form for a community manager, who should have G-mail goggles on at all times.

[Nintex]

Calcaneus said:
When in reality he could have just shut up.
I'm with IW on this one, in reality Treyarch could just stop making games.

I wasn't part of the Treyarch hate camp untill I played Quantum of Solace for Wii.

Also, wasn't IW the team behind Medal of Honor at some point? If they're really unhappy with Activision they could go back to EA. Now that would be the weirdest shit ever.

pswii60

Funny times. Seems like a bit of a PR stunt though to be honest. This gets front page coverage on all the sites, and... "Oh, there's a new COD coming out? Must remember to pick that up"

But, I must say, COD4 is rediculously overrated. The multiplayer was incredibly solid and still popular to this day, hence I can understand why it gets so much praise in that department. But the single player campaign was totally shit.

Dyno

I think our society has become so politically correct and business minded that we aren't allowed to call shit out as we see it.

There is a perfectly good reason why this Activison suit has mentioned COD4 whenever trying to make headlines with World At War: he's clearly hoping that the public equate the two.

It's dishonest because the two are not guaranteed to be equitable and even if it is, that is a judgement the publisher shouldn't make. That's for critics and players to decide.

This is bascially a shady business tactic and yet, somehow, it is 'poor business form' to point out when a snake-oil salesman is shilling their wares.

The game should stand on it's own and not need the crutch of a previous game made by another developer to prop it up. When World at War is in our machines COD4 isn't going to help it become a better game. It will have to stand alone then and it should do so now.

Lilsnubby

Calling the game Call of Duty and then making it another WWII game is completely retarded to begin with. The whole concept is incredibly stupid and then to have Treyarch do it is just silly. Here you have on the strongest brands in gaming (10mil sold) and you cheapen the brand with a substandard product named the same thing and worse set in the super saturated WWII timeframe. The entire brand strategy seems flawed to me.

Top Bottom