• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 PS3 Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calen

Yoboman said:
Answer this

It's polite to say "Please" when demanding answers from someone.

I don't think we're any different than any other 360 game in this regard. I haven't heard any differently at least, but as a code monkey I don't always have all the production facts. Do you have a source for the rumor that we're region free? I'd like to read it.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Calen said:

I don't think we're any different than any other 360 game in this regard. I haven't heard any differently at least, but as a code monkey I don't always have all the production facts. Do you have a source for the rumor that we're region free? I'd like to read it.
Some 360 games are region free especially Asian versions, it depends on the individual game but it's good for people like me cause it'll cost half the price to import a region-free version

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
So 360 and PS3 are identical then, but 360 has rumble and custom soundtracks and PS3 has free online.

Something for everyone!

monkeu

Plus every Call Of Duty 360 game in the past has been region free, but some of us would appreciate confirmation if it's possible.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Calen said:

iirc COD 2 is region free, so hopefully, you guys haven't locked 4. Either way, COD 4 will absolutely pwn all other FPS's this year and for the forseeable future.
imo

Calen

DC R1D3R said:
iirc COD 2 is region free, so hopefully, you guys haven't locked 4. Either way, COD 4 will absolutely pwn all other FPS's this year and for the forseeable future.
imo

Yeah, I really have no idea one way or the other then, sorry. I wasn't even aware that the other CoD games weren't region locked.

Edited to add, I didn't mean to turn this thread into "ask Calen about the 360 version." My apologies to the OP. I'll keep it on topic from here.

Raist

Banned
DCharlie said:
i posted to show that taking shots from a screen can affect the AA and the perceived lighting.

True, but you should have chosen a better example, 'cause RFoM really has a very clean IQ. Jaggies are pretty rare.

quick, take a Halo 3 shot :p

Rayme

Midas said:
Why did you choose to not include keyboard and mouse support? Some special reason?
Calen said:
No special reason I'm aware of apart from the usual "it was extra time we needed to spend making the game run faster," but that answer works for most features we didn't include, so it's sort of a cop out :D
Personally, I haven't seen an FPS that successfully mixed gamepad players -vs- mouse+kb players yet. Afaik, solving the balance problems involved without watering down the rest of the MP game wasn't a challenge worth tackling (that is, not worth taking time away from solving other design challenges).

Trust me; a balanced & tuned gamepad-only title is a lot better than a watered-down one that gives you a mouse+kb option. And I love mouse controls, don't get me wrong. ;)

dear calen,

would you tell us about differences in the net code between the version.
esp. are there dedicated server in the ps3 version?

Raistlin

Rayme said:
Personally, I haven't seen an FPS that successfully mixed gamepad players -vs- mouse+kb players yet. Afaik, solving the balance problems involved without watering down the rest of the MP game wasn't a challenge worth tackling (that is, not worth taking time away from solving other design challenges).

Trust me; a balanced & tuned gamepad-only title is a lot better than a watered-down one that gives you a mouse+kb option. And I love mouse controls, don't get me wrong. ;)

If balancing is a problem a dev is having ... then simply skip the the balancing. That doesn't mean they need to remove the k/m option.

Simply offer:

* gamepad only matchmaking
* k/m only matchmaking
* mixed, you've been warned matchmaking.

Problem solved.

Midas

Onix said:
If balancing is a problem a dev is having ... then simply skip the the balancing. That doesn't mean they need to remove the k/m option.

Simply offer:

* gamepad only matchmaking
* k/m only matchmaking
* mixed, you've been warned matchmaking.

Problem solved.

Pretty much.

And thanks for the answer Calen. However, I did assume that keyboard support for games was a part of the SDK, so it wouldn't take more than "minutes" to fix. But maybe that isn't the case then. :)

f@luS

More than a member.
after 360 beta, i think gamepad is the best for this game. Its not really *fast* , aiming is easy. KB/M is a must have in Unreal for exemple, with all kind of bunny jumping, wall jumping, rocket jumping ....(gamepad is really bad for this) but COD4 is fine

DCharlie

Banned
True, but you should have chosen a better example

i guess. Actually - i just picked the first most obvious shot, it just happened to be Resistance. Chrome hounds , as good as a game as it looks, looks spectacular when photographed.

Annyways.

On the subject of regioning , i guess for J-Gaffers we have to look into the Asian or US versions as Activision aren't releasing X360 games at all in Japan :(

Calen

Midas said:
Pretty much.

And thanks for the answer Calen. However, I did assume that keyboard support for games was a part of the SDK, so it wouldn't take more than "minutes" to fix. But maybe that isn't the case then. :)

I was mostly referring to the time that figuring out some kind of workable balancing situation would have taken (like Rayme mentioned), not actually implementing the input mechanics etc.

Narag

Onix said:
Why? If people can't find enough in a given area, they'll move to the more populated section.

It runs the risk of forcing kb/m + gamepad players together if their own pools aren't large enough to sustain the community then the balance issues rear their heads again at risk of fracturing said community.

Agreed with f@lus about the gamepad too.

DCharlie said:
i guess. Actually - i just picked the first most obvious shot, it just happened to be Resistance. Chrome hounds , as good as a game as it looks, looks spectacular when photographed.

Annyways.

On the subject of regioning , i guess for J-Gaffers we have to look into the Asian or US versions as Activision aren't releasing X360 games at all in Japan :(

its funny how some games are on the other end...HS and Gears look much better in motion than off screen pics

Midas

Calen said:
I was mostly referring to the time that figuring out some kind of workable balancing situation would have taken (like Rayme mentioned), not actually implementing the input mechanics etc.

Makes sense. :)

Keyboard support for campaign mode would've been nice though. :p

Calen

DemonCleaner said:
dear calen,

would you tell us about differences in the net code between the version.
esp. are there dedicated server in the ps3 version?

PS3 MP works pretty much the same as 360 MP in that it uses lobbies, parties, and player skill based matchmaking or private matches. There's no server browser to speak of apart from listing the system link games currently underway on your LAN.

No Kb/m makes me very sad. It looks like ill be waiting till I have enough for a good pc that handles this and crysis on very high.

def sim

Narag said:
It runs the risk of forcing kb/m + gamepad players together if their own pools aren't large enough to sustain the community then the balance issues rear their heads again at risk of fracturing said community.

Yes, pretty much. It's more likely people will join the KB/m + gamepad matchmaking preference since it has a much higher chance of netting players. The few people who insist on playing with dudes using the same setup will have anemic numbers in their own matchmaking section, and so will most likely have trouble trying to get into a matchmaking game.

At least, that's how I see it happening. You'd need to have a really large userbase for it to work. Even, for example, with Halo 3's online population, I doubt it would work well.

Calen said:
PS3 MP works pretty much the same as 360 MP in that it uses lobbies, parties, and player skill based matchmaking or private matches. There's no server browser to speak of apart from listing the system link games currently underway on your LAN.

well i just wondered if there was better net performance in the ps3 version.
though optically the live beta ran pretty lag free, there was at times some major discrepancy between what i've done and what i could see in the death cam afterwards.

Ashhong

Fletcher said:
sadffxiidudepp3.jpg

:lol: :lol

Raistlin

Narag said:

Well then why doesn't someone actually give it a try and see if it does become a problem? If it seems to be causing issues, they could simply force them to go with the gamepad.

In reality, I don't see that happening. The vast majority of people will use the pad ... and the people that like k/m will either suck it up that there aren't that many people, or yield. I just like the option.

BTW - Calen, my posts on the subject are not directed at you or Infinity Ward ... it is a general argument. You guys shouldn't feel all that bad for not supporting it, its not like anyone else does :p

Narag

rance said:
Yes, pretty much. It's more likely people will join the KB/m + gamepad matchmaking preference since it has a much higher chance of netting players. The few people who insist on playing with dudes using the same setup will have anemic numbers in their own matchmaking section, and so will most likely have trouble trying to get into a matchmaking game.
At least, that's how I see it happening. You'd need to have a really large userbase for it to work. Even, for example, Halo 3's online population, I doubt it would work well.

It also creates a risk of alienating consumers that want the MP portion without the multiple input issues and driving them to platforms that don't have this potential headache.

dfyb

Banned
Narag said:
which is one reason why all ps3 games should be cross-platform with PC. there are multiple exampels where this even works internally, but the devs basically disable it for the final build.

the idea that it will split a small community and there won't be large numbers is pretty silly -- the support of kb/m would draw more players in the first place. and not just kb/m players, but indirectly it would also draw gamepad players.

Raistlin

Narag said:
It also creates a risk of alienating consumers that want the MP portion without the multiple input issues and driving them to platforms that don't have this potential headache.

So now having options is a headache that will drive people to other systems?

Narag

dfyb said:
which is one reason why all ps3 games should be cross-platform with PC. there are multiple exampels where this even works internally, but the devs basically disable it for the final build.

the idea that it will split a small community and there won't be large numbers is pretty silly -- the support of kb/m would draw more players in the first place. and not just kb/m players, but indirectly it would also draw gamepad players.

In the context of this argument, it was about tossing the game out without balancing for keyboard vs gamepad play simultaneously and just hoping for the best. With balancing, I don't see why not but a skilled kb/m will destroy most gamepad players without.

Onix said:

I'm of the opinion it could but you're free to disagree. As was speculated earlier, specific input method pools run a risk of being small and the mixed would give one side an inherent advantage due to the lack of balancing.

Regarding crossplatform play, that really should be in everything. It sucks when good fun games have an online community that either never manfests or shrivels quickly due to lack of a playerbase.

CajoleJuice said:
I can't fucking wait for this game.
Me neither!

TEH-CJ

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
I can't fucking wait for this game.

Same man

its funny that i was never hyped for the previous Call of duty game's but for some reason cod4 has me hyped to hell.

think it has something to do with not being in WWII....

cant wait.

dfyb

Banned
Narag said:
In the context of this argument, it was about tossing the game out without balancing for keyboard vs gamepad play simultaneously and just hoping for the best. With balancing, I don't see why not but a skilled kb/m will destroy most gamepad players without.

I'm of the opinion it could but you're free to disagree. As was speculated earlier, specific input method pools run a risk of being small and the mixed would give one side an inherent advantage due to the lack of balancing.

Regarding crossplatform play, that really should be in everything. It sucks when good fun games have an online community that either never manfests or shrivels quickly due to lack of a playerbase.

Me neither!
they have a PC version. they have a version balanced for kb/m. you don't need to balance kb/m vs pad; you just put filters so they don't have to mix if they don't want to.

amar212

I'm really in deep problems now.

Which version to order?

Have canceled X360 two time already and swap it to PS3. What the F to do?

def sim

Onix said:

Well, no, not so much.

Options are good, but when it can bring about problems with trying to connect other users to eachother, then maybe it should be omitted. This problem somewhat shows up in Halo 3 matchmaking, so I'll use it again as an example. You have to remember that matchmaking systems take into account how many people can join up with you. So, say a 4 man party and a 3 man party matched with your 8 man party. Now it has to find a single player who decided to go into BTB. Even though Halo 3 has a very large userbase, it still can take a while to find that one person. Sometimes having to restart the search since it just couldn't find that one player. Now separate that between 3 options for matchmaking. Is it going to make it any easier to match players together or not?

It just seems likely to fracture the community rather than benefit, to be honest. Though, you might be right, no one really knows for sure. I do like more options, but it's too bad such a thing can be troublesome.

TEH-CJ

Banned
amar212 said:
I'm really in deep problems now.

Which version to order?

Have canceled X360 two time already and swap it to PS3. What the F to do?

which controller do you like better for fps ?

Narag

dfyb said:
they have a PC version. they have a version balanced for kb/m. you don't need to balance kb/m vs pad; you just put filters so they don't have to mix if they don't want to.

Again, this was in regards to the PS3 version and the IW dev saying they neither had kb/m support nor the time to properly balance it. The discussion then changed when the option of an unbalanced out of the box PS3 version that had three choices for playing was suggested. KB+M only, gamepad only, and a kb+m/gamepad with a disclaimer of playing at your own risk. As another poster suggested, and I agreed with, the mixed mode could attract the highest number of players and that is where the balance issue would come into effect.

TEH-CJ said:
Same man

its funny that i was never hyped for the previous Call of duty game's but for some reason cod4 has me hyped to hell.

think it has something to do with not being in WWII....

cant wait.
I'm just guessing here, don't take it the wrong way. Since you have the R&C avatar, I'm guessing you have a PS3 (this is the COD4 PS3 thread). Unless you have a 360 as well and played the beta, you can't even begin to fathom the awesomeness. You will be blown away.

TEH-CJ

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
I'm just guessing here, don't take it the wrong way. Since you have the R&C avatar, I'm guessing you have a PS3 (this is the COD4 PS3 thread). Unless you have a 360 as well and played the beta, you can't even begin to fathom the awesomeness. You will be blown away.

Yup i played the beta on 360 and it was awesome :D .

and yup i own a ps3 :D * good guess* ;)

TEH-CJ said:
Yup i played the beta on 360 and it was awesome :D .

and yup i own a ps3 :D * good guess* ;)
I'm jealous, sir.

I feel bad for people who didn't get into the beta. They're gonna get their asses handed to them at first. :lol

I'm so glad that a dev came in here to put things to rest.

The dyslexic-chinese-whispers style changing of DailyGame (who?) into GameDaily (AOL funded) every time that preview was posted was hilariously dumb.

Choabac

Calen, if possible could you please answer this question.

Does the retail PC version of Call of Duty 4 support a Direct X 7 mode (or equivalent), like Call of Duty 2 did for lower spec machines?

Gallenn

TEH-CJ said:

That's the essential question you have to ask to yourself if you own both PS3 and 360.

I'm gonna get the game on 360 as i much prefer its controller for FPS.

And i'm used to COD4 controls on 360 thanks to the Beta, so...

amar212

CajoleJuice said:
I feel bad for people who didn't get into the beta. They're gonna get their asses handed to them at first. :lol

So agree :D

And for above - I prefer X360 controller to be true, and what buggers me is MP.

Somehow I have the feeling Live will preveail in overall MP stability, but my Gold will terminate in May 08 and I have no plans in renewing it. While PSN is free and somehow I feel that this game will be a hit even in 2008 in MP.

So, there are my problems. Hell, I'll fiish with both versions and then finish myself with an claymore perk. Infinity, you're going to get too much of my money.

TEH-CJ said:

well i've got the same problem as he does. the different controllers arn't an issue for me. so what to do now?
the net performance in the beta wasn't that great at times, but on the other hand i really would like to play this with some ppl on my xbl friendlist.

monkeu

amar212 said:
So agree :D

And for above - I prefer X360 controller to be true, and what buggers me is MP.

Somehow I have the feeling Live will preveail in overall MP stability, but my Gold will terminate in May 08 and I have no plans in renewing it. While PSN is free and somehow I feel that this game will be a hit even in 2008 in MP.

So, there are my problems. Hell, I'll fiish with both versions and then finish myself with an claymore perk. Infinity, you're going to get too much of my money.

Why don't you just buy the 360 version and use the money you would have spent on the PS3 version on renewing your gold live? It'd cost you the same, you get to use the controller you prefer 100% of the time, and you'll be able to keep playing all your other 360 games online as an added bonus.

Ashhong

monkeu said:
Why don't you just buy the 360 version and use the money you would have spent on the PS3 version on renewing your gold live? It'd cost you the same, you get to use the controller you prefer 100% of the time, and you'll be able to keep playing all your other 360 games online as an added bonus.

Instead of buying 2 version of it, he should just choose one. On one hand, 360 version will *technically* cost him what..110? PS3 version 60. If you don't mind the controller or rumble, just go for the PS3.

monkeu said:

he was going to buy one or the other...not both

Cant you just decide yourself...this isnt really a big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom