• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Mystics (Phantom Dust HD) - Which OG Xbox Title Should We Ask MS to Port Next?

Zutrax

Only one right answer for this.

256px-Metalwolfcover.jpg

The amount of people not saying Metal Wolf Chaos saddens me. Most Xbox original titles can be purchased on Ebay for less than $30 and played on the original console or Xbox 360 fairly easily. I'd love some of these titles as much as the next person.

But I've wanted to play the absurdity of Metal Wolf Chaos for almost literally a decade now, and the only way I can do that legally is purchasing a $200+ copy on ebay and a somehow finding and importing a Japanese Xbox. I want an easy way to play this game so badly.

I know it's not a Microsoft title or they even got the right. But the only OG Xbox game I played was Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom, so do that!

Mobius01

Then you add in the fact that the OG Xbox almost always had the technically superior versions of multiplats, near universal progressive scan support, and robust audio options... it's a beast of a console.

Things like Colin McRae Rally 3 and Splinter Cell in full DD5.1, the per-pixel torchlight cone and 60fps in Silent Hill 2 and listening to your own CDs in PGR and Quantum Redshift. Such a monster of a console it it's day.

I feel like lots of OG xbox games I love would not scale up well. That being said from what was published by them I'd personally think the below make the most sense
-Crimson Skies
-PGR2
-Mech Assault 1(2 is great too but for some reason I just prefer to replay 1)
-Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes(another hidden gem that people seem to forget exists, has room to be monetized like Phantom Dust as well)
-Conker Live & Reloaded(still looks great visually, I'm actually surprised it wasn't on Rare Replay though). I wish we could get an answer as to why that never happened

For reference here is what they have. Honestly most games don't make sense
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Studios_video_games#Xbox

Tain

Ninja Gaiden Black, Steel Battalion, Gunvalkyrie, and Breakdown would rule.

Steel Battalion would be a controller mapping nightmare but I'd still like the option, lol.

RowdyReverb

James Bond games are probably off the table due to licensing I guess? Cause 007: Nightfire was probably my GOTG next to Halo, and the console version is very different from the PC version

Halo 1 and 2 still need good ports...

Mech Assault is the first that comes to mind though. Xbox had a ton of great third party games but those would be a liscensing nightmare.

Tain

Tekki is also an awesome game, but impossible to port.

Functionally I think it would work with comprehensive keyboard mapping, maybe it could even suggest a gamepad + keyboard combo. It would lose some of the appeal, but the core game is fucking fantastic and if the only way for some to play it would be with more conventional controls than so be it.

Outrun 2006 is already on PC.

As for OG Xbox games, Rallisport 2 and Midtown Madness 3 make the most sense. The franchises are dead, both have entries already released on PC, MS (not the developers) still hold the rights to both, and both are fan favourites from the Xbox.

Tain

Metal Wolf Chaos is seemingly the most popular in the responses to that tweet, bummer.

Game only stands out at all because of the theme. Once you're beyond that it's a thoroughly okay third-person shooter.

SimonM7

I think Crimson Skies has to be it. I feel like there has to be a mix of single and multiplayer modes to make it worth singling out like this. Stuff like Orta and JSRF should absolutely happen, but that should probably be Sega's own responsibility, and probably hit all platforms, honestly.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Galleon!!!

Galleon.jpg

You all posted some good responses but unfortunately there is only one right answer:
51XGRMGBNML.jpg

Also acceptable. Used the Halo engine too so should be easy.

epmode

Rallisport Callenge 2 is probably my favorite racing game ever AND IT NEVER GOT A PC PORT. So do that one. I might even buy it on the *shudder* Windows 10 Store.

Top Bottom