• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee

IAmRei

I think I'm too habitual a coffee drinker to have a £250 a week habit (!)

Glad that you're not buying the beans that are "processed" by animals. It's quite well known that the animals live in miserable conditions and live terrible lives in the pursuit of the beans. I didn't realise that was available through the same company, I personally wouldn't spend money with a company that sold that product at all - I know this company say their beans are foraged not farmed, but I just think the whole thing needs to moved on from, because it definitely keeps the door open to continuation of the trade.
do You mean Luwak? i live near the place if You mean that. I think the coffee itself is kind of overrated to me. there are better alternatives, cheaper, and not by animal. and also animal abuse is kind of common here in my place because my people mostly dumb and cruel. not all, but i get Your point. You won't eat any chicken here if You know how they do with Chicken is bad. Not all people here like that actually.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Aight STARSBarry STARSBarry , I pulled the trigger.

PhQEpJD.jpeg

These babies better be as good as you claim. When I spend €170, I expect to get my money’s worth.

Laptop1991

I drink loads of Coffee, but it's just your standard Nescafe or Maxwell House variety, a lot more expensive here in England in the last couple of years than it should or use to be, i've always wanted to try this Columbian coffee which they say is the best, but i have no idea which one to get and it'll probably be a ridiculous price lol

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I drink loads of Coffee, but it's just your standard Nescafe or Maxwell House variety, a lot more expensive here in England in the last couple of years than it should or use to be, i've always wanted to try this Columbian coffee which they say is the best, but i have no idea which one to get and it'll probably be a ridiculous price lol

The UK has a vibrant specialty coffee scene, just google specialty coffee and find a place, go have a taste.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Do they let you try them before buying, because there is quite a few to choose from.

Typically in specialty shops the coffee they serve is the coffee they sell. Just find one nearby that has good google reviews for service and be honest, tell them that you’re a nescafe normie curious about better coffee.

Laptop1991

Typically in specialty shops the coffee they serve is the coffee they sell. Just find one nearby that has good google reviews for service and be honest, tell them that you’re a nescafe normie curious about better coffee.
Right, with you, Nescafe normies like me are well know then, i'll give it a try when i'm in the city centre next.

Uhtred

Gold Member
I’m laying in bed this morning counting the minute's until I can go and get my Venti Ice Brown sugar shaken espresso.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Does anyone else have OCD when it comes to which mug you drink your coffee out of? If my coffee mug is dry, in the dishwasher, with cement oatmeal in it, I have to clean it even if all my other mugs are clean. Is this a coffee drinker thing or should I see a Dr.?

Lunarorbit

I’m laying in bed this morning counting the minute's until I can go and get my Venti Ice Brown sugar shaken espresso.
I've probably only been to Starbucks 10 times in my entire life but just seeing the name of that drink made me look it up.

I'm gonna get one at 9 tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Aight STARSBarry STARSBarry , I pulled the trigger.

PhQEpJD.jpeg

These babies better be as good as you claim. When I spend €170, I expect to get my money’s worth.

So, I started to try these out.

Hawaii Kona: great. Not a lot of aroma, but very solid taste. Not too bitter without sugar, and not a bit of acidity.

Panama: eh, this one didn’t stand out. The aroma is fantastic, smells like red fruits. But the flavor is pretty mild.

I’ll work my way towards the fabled Jamaica Blue Mountain and St. Helena. I don’t actually have a Nespresso machine at home, so I have to drink these at work or at friends’. I gotta say though, these flow so well from the machine. Off-brand capsules often seem like they’re going to jam the machine. These ones are perfect.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I stopped drinking coffee and instead take Nutricost 100mg caffeine pills off Amazon. It's like $7 for 250 capsules, so I get my 8oz coffee equivalent caffeine fix for $.03.

calistan

Gold Member
For anyone who likes iced lattes or any of that type of sweet milkshake coffee drink, I highly recommend this stuff. I've been buying it for years. It recently went out of stock for a couple of months due to to a shortage of chicory, which made me realise just how much of this I drink.

Some people use it as a baking ingredient, others as a hot drink, but I like it in a pint of skimmed milk. My wife won't tolerate actual coffee in the house due to the smell, and this is barely coffee at all, but it's completely delicious.

9HDDOzQ.jpeg

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Used to take mine from Nespresso capsules but honestly, after getting one of those, capsules can go fuck themselves.

513aEVF7ftL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

I haven't dived too deep into the coffee world. Thing is I think I've seen the Illy brand here in Spain, so I might try that one since some of you are recommending it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So, I started to try these out.

Hawaii Kona: great. Not a lot of aroma, but very solid taste. Not too bitter without sugar, and not a bit of acidity.

Panama: eh, this one didn’t stand out. The aroma is fantastic, smells like red fruits. But the flavor is pretty mild.

I’ll work my way towards the fabled Jamaica Blue Mountain and St. Helena. I don’t actually have a Nespresso machine at home, so I have to drink these at work or at friends’. I gotta say though, these flow so well from the machine. Off-brand capsules often seem like they’re going to jam the machine. These ones are perfect.

So i own a pod machine and wondered why these work so well. So I found out.

If you didn't know Nestlé are assholes, if you ever look into a classic pod machine you will notice that the piece inside the machine that holds the pod is not perfectly round, its got slight bumps and ridges, now why does it do that? Well you see ages ago Nestlé tried to argue no one could make pods for the pod machine but them, they lost because turns out, they where not the first pod machine on the market and the way it made coffee was already patented not by them.

So they made it so the lip on the edge of the pods that they DO own a patent only seal in the machine and redesinged all there machines to fuck over third party pods who cant use their pod lip patent so your pods can't seal properly and therefore water leaks out the side and you have lower pressure and worse coffee, they literally did this on purpose to fuck you over, older machines don't have this, all new machines that they make do.

So why do the sea island coffee pods work so well? Well they don't use the patented lip there not allowed to, but they have a ridge around the base which is a unique design Nestlé don't own the rights to, but allows the pod to seal and coffee to be pumped at a higher pressure as expected.

Essentially they found a way to offset the nespresso classic redesign that fucks over the consumer and deliver the best coffee they could.

This is also why they are fixated on selling you that larger vertuo pod machine with the domed pods, that machine spins the coffee and they fully own the rights to that, so only they and people they sell permission to (like Starbucks) have the rights to make those pods, as they are completely unique. It's cutthroat the world of coffee.

Also il point out that you have Kopi Luwak which is right up there in price with the St helena eclipsing the Blue Mountain, iv never had any because well... a jungle cat shit it out. But certainly famed alongside them.

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member
I've never met a person who doesn't like the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Are you sure she's human?
After living with her for 20 years and being without proper coffee for most of that time, I can sort of see what she means. The smell is bitter and inescapable, it pervades everything. It's an aggressive aroma. On somebody's breath it's deeply unpleasant.

When we first met I used to have a good espresso machine, and she'd open the windows and retch when I used it. Something eventually clogged up the machine and the pump burned out - I blame it on the local hard water - so for a long time I've only had coffee when we visit family or go to a hotel. Probably the last time I had a cup was at Christmas, and the time before that would have been at a hotel last summer.

The Camp Coffee essence is a good compromise, and I've loved that stuff since I was a kid. I'd never drink proper coffee with milk or sugar, but this is long way from actual coffee - 4% coffee in the syrup, so by the time it's diluted it's maybe 0.1%. Better than any iced coffee I've had elsewhere though.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
After living with her for 20 years and being without proper coffee for most of that time, I can sort of see what she means. The smell is bitter and inescapable, it pervades everything. It's an aggressive aroma. On somebody's breath it's deeply unpleasant.

When we first met I used to have a good espresso machine, and she'd open the windows and retch when I used it. Something eventually clogged up the machine and the pump burned out - I blame it on the local hard water - so for a long time I've only had coffee when we visit family or go to a hotel. Probably the last time I had a cup was at Christmas, and the time before that would have been at a hotel last summer.

The Camp Coffee essence is a good compromise, and I've loved that stuff since I was a kid. I'd never drink proper coffee with milk or sugar, but this is long way from actual coffee - 4% coffee in the syrup, so by the time it's diluted it's maybe 0.1%. Better than any iced coffee I've had elsewhere though.
Good that you were able to work something out, I know I can't live without a good cup every morning. I was just joking by the way, I didn't mean to offend your or you wife!

Tenaciousmo

Used to take mine from Nespresso capsules but honestly, after getting one of those, capsules can go fuck themselves.

(MOKA POT)

I haven't dived too deep into the coffee world. Thing is I think I've seen the Illy brand here in Spain, so I might try that one since some of you are recommending it.

Moka pot was so nice when I didnt have espresso machine, works great, is super easy to use and clean, makes great "strong" coffee or turn it into an americano - type with some added hot water also quite cheap, totally recommend it to anyone looking into espresso machines without a $300+ budget

For anyone who likes iced lattes or any of that type of sweet milkshake coffee drink, I highly recommend this stuff. I've been buying it for years. It recently went out of stock for a couple of months due to to a shortage of chicory, which made me realise just how much of this I drink.

Some people use it as a baking ingredient, others as a hot drink, but I like it in a pint of skimmed milk. My wife won't tolerate actual coffee in the house due to the smell, and this is barely coffee at all, but it's completely delicious.

9HDDOzQ.jpeg

My wife turned me onto that one for "sugar coffee" iced drinks. I wouldn't mind trying something else to be honest but it does the job

nescafe-sweet-and-creamy-ice-java-syrup-16-oz_2000x.png

Lunarorbit

Did you like it?
Yeah

It's not something I would get every day but it was really good. I'm thinking of getting the ingredients and making it myself though cause it was $6.32 for a venti. But the brown sugar and cinnamon were great in it.

I like Starbucks but the price is prohibitive for someone like me who doesn't mind the $1.29 convenience store coffee

Top Bottom