• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Five Thread: Gondo, But Not Forgotten

george_us

Ohio State 2015 reminds me of Florida State 2014.
Nah FSU lost a lot of talent from their 2013 squad. The way OSU looks on offense is baffling. Only 3 starters lost and our offense looks like they've never even played together before. Only logical explanation is that we REALLY miss Tom Herman. Seriously, how can you fuck up THIS offense?

Nah FSU lost a lot of talent from their 2013 squad. The way OSU looks on offense is baffling. Only 3 starters lost and our offense looks like they've never even played together before. Only logical explanation is that we REALLY miss Tom Herman. Seriously, how can you fuck up THIS offense?

Because Urban isnt running a read option anymore like Herman did. The read option was bread and butter last year, we dont run it at all.

El_Chino

AP Poll

1. Ohio State
2. TCU
3. Baylor
4. Mich State
5. Utah
6. Clemson
7. LSU
8. Alabama
9 A&M
10. OU
11. Florida
12. FSU
13. Northwestern
14. Ole Miss
15. Notre Dame
16. Stanford
17. USC
18. Michigan
19. Georgia
20. UCLA
21. Oklahoma State
22. Iowa
23. Cal
24. Toledo
25. Boise State
Florida ahead of FSU? How things have changed quickly.

Rocketz

It's good to see Toledo ranked again. Maybe we can finally win the MAC this year.

Homecoming is this week so I'm excited to head back and watch them play.

jjasper

Tennessee GAF disbanded.
Can you blame us? It's one thing to lose games because the other team just has better talent and depth. But this whole "we have a pretty talented team that has been up by 13+ leadin in every game but are 2-3 because our coach doesn't understand basic principles of in game management" is too much.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
8. Alabama
14. Ole Miss

Hmmm

How else should have played out? Bama was 13 and won convincingly against a top 10 opponent. Ole Miss was 3 and lost to 25.

I think it would look worse for Ole Miss to only fall to like #8 after their loss and Bama to be #9 just to keep Ole Miss higher. Especially since that would be a smaller drop than Bama fell after their loss despite Ole Miss' loss being worse in every possible regard.

ag-my001

People seem to forget tOSU won so many games last season against bad opponents by a close margin, and they ended up winning it all. Wasn't until the Big 10 championship game where they started rolling.

That's true, but we don't forget FSU winning so many games against bad opponents by a close margin and looking ridiculous in the playoffs. Which one is OSU this year? Dunno yet.

God damn it. People overreacted to Ole Miss beating bama and now they're overreacting to UF beating Ole Miss. Yes, when you dominate a quality team like that it probably suggests it wasn't just a flash in the pan, but we still have a lot to prove. Why are some fans so quick to go into delusion mode? Frankly, Florida's new ranking is fucking meaningless, because we're not in that top position where losing can knock us out of the playoff or something. All we need to do is win out and that'll be a tall order. Let's see how we look against Mizzou. At this point it looks like it's a team we should beat easily, but Ole Miss probably thought that coming to the Swamp.

El_Chino

God damn it. People overreacted to Ole Miss beating bama and now they're overreacting to UF beating Ole Miss. Yes, when you dominate a quality team like that it probably suggests it wasn't just a flash in the pan, but we still have a lot to prove. Why are some fans so quick to go into delusion mode? Frankly, Florida's new ranking is fucking meaningless, because we're not in that top position where losing can knock us out of the playoff or something. All we need to do is win out and that'll be a tall order. Let's see how we look against Mizzou. At this point it looks like it's a team we should beat easily, but Ole Miss probably thought that coming to the Swamp.
I completely agree with you but I guess thats what happens when fans haven't seen Florida beat a top 5 opponent in years.

Then again if we keep playing like this we might have an outside chance of earning a trip to the SEC championship.

I hope ASU moves backs into the ranks. Played UCLA like that and we still don't get that much recognition. I hope Utah falls to us.....that's my dream!

Anyway, Georgia Bulldogs.....why??? 18 is too high; they should be unranked after the shit they pulled yesterday. Probably the most disappointing Georgia game I've encountered as a fan for 8 years.

That's true, but we don't forget FSU winning so many games against bad opponents by a close margin and looking ridiculous in the playoffs.

The Oregon-FSU game didn't go clown fiesta until the second half.It wasn't like the traditional blowout where you blast your opponent off the blocks for sixty minutes by any means.

I hope Utah falls to us.....that's my dream!

If Travis Wilson continues to play like he is playing it will be very hard to beat the Utes. It's possible because so many of the PAC-12 teams are good, but with him playing lights out the team is a very complete package.

AntoneM

I hope ASU moves backs into the ranks. Played UCLA like that and we still don't get that much recognition. I hope Utah falls to us.....that's my dream!

Anyway, Georgia Bulldogs.....why??? 18 is too high; they should be unranked after the shit they pulled yesterday. Probably the most disappointing Georgia game I've encountered as a fan for 8 years.
Going to take a win over Utah to erase the memories of the complete domination USC had over us. And of course if we win that, our reward is to play Oregon.

MIMIC

Banned
Lol st OSU still #1. It could not be any more clear this team is not the best team in the nation.

Was it any clearer last season?

Everything seemingly shakes out near the end of the season. Once again, these weekly polls are gonna drive everyone nuts....every single week.

bachikarn

This OSU team is a whole lot like the 2009 UF team. A ton of talent came back from an NC winning team, but the OC left. The team kept squeaking by games until eventually unravelling in the SECCG against Bama. Hope Urbz manages the stress and expectations better this time.

Going to take a win over Utah to erase the memories of the complete domination USC had over us. And of course if we win that, our reward is to play Oregon.

Yeah, I'm hoping that these two games over the next three weeks we win, if at least games in which we can use as measuring sticks to determine how good we can be this year. I've been wanting to beat Oregon since.....fuck I can't remember when.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
WEEK SIX PICK 'EMS
NOTICE! DO NOT POST PICKS IN THIS THREAD! ONLY POST PICKS IN THE WEEK SIX THREAD!

Remember, I'm representing the spread next to the team favored to win by the number of points in parentheses next to them. You decide if that team will win by more than that amount of points (i.e., they'll "cover" the spread) or whether you think they will either win by fewer than that amount of points or just outright lose (either of these would be a "no cover" scenario). If you have questions, ask!

Rules:

1. 1 Point for every COVER/NO COVER pick you make correctly.
2. The Person with the highest total that weeks gets 3 bonus points.
3. Ties to determine who gets the bonus points will be based upon predicting the total number of points stored in Washington State v. Oregon (I'll call this the TOTAL POINTS SCORED or TPS pick). For those who are tied, we'll look at this pick. Closest gets the bonus points.
4. If two people pick the same TPS, then no one gets the bonus points. HOWEVER, if people are off from the TPS by the same amount, but one went high and the other went low, then The Price is Right rules apply, and the person under the actual TPS gets the bonus points.
Example: If the TPS in the game is actually 58, and one person guesses 50 and the other 66, then the person who guessed 50 gets the tiebreaker and the bonus points.​
5. If anyone correctly guesses the exact TPS, they will receive 2 bonus points.

This Week's Games:

Predict the total number of points scored! NOTICE! WE'RE STILL USING THE TOTAL POINTS SCORED IN THE GAME BY BOTH TEAMS!
Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick:

Thursday
Washington v. USC (-14.5)

Friday
NCSU v. Va Tech (-2.5)

Saturday
Indiana v. Penn State (-3.5)
LSU (-20.5) v. USCe
OU (-14.5) v. Texas
Maryland v. OSUn (-23.5)
Ga Tech v. Clempson (-7.5)
Uconn v. UCF (-3.5)
Boise State (-10.5) v. CSU
Miami v. FSU (-10.5)

Here's an example FROM WEEK ONE as to how you should post your picks:

TPS Game
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan - TPS - 56 points
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Here is what is being said with those picks:

TPS Game
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan - TPS - 56 points | This pick is for MSU and WMU to score a combined 56 points.
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER | This pick is for SoCar to beat UNC by 4 or more points.
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER | This pick is for TCU to beat Minnesota by 20 or more points
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER | This pick is for Florida to either beat NMSU by 36 or fewer points or to lose to NMSU.
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER | This pick is for Auburn to beat Louisville by 15 or more points.
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER | This pick is for Nebraska to beat BYU by 10 or more points.
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Notre Dame to either beat Texas by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Texas.
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Alabama to either beat Wisconsin by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Wisconsin.
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER | This pick is USC to beat Arkansas State by 34 or more points.
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER | This pick is for Stanford to either beat Northwestern by 12 or fewer points or to lose to Northwestern.
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER | This pick is for OSU to beat VA Tech by 18 or more points.
Hopefully this is less confusing.

El_Chino

This OSU team is a whole lot like the 2009 UF team. A ton of talent came back from an NC winning team, but the OC left. The team kept squeaking by games until eventually unravelling in the SECCG against Bama. Hope Urbz manages the stress and expectations better this time.
"Stress"

Georgia, you've broken my heart. I get up at 7 in the morning, stand outside in the rain all day, and then you subject me to that shit show of a game. I still love my dawgs but damn if I'm not disappointed. A shitty game in Athens rounding out a shitty rainy week in Athens.

inm8num2

Another starter for MSU out w/ injury - safety RJ Williamson.

This season is going to get ugly quickly. Having depth to withstand injuries is one thing, but this many injuries? Yeesh. I guess Ed Davis going down before the season started was a sign of things to come.

Transitive property, bruh. That and we got The Based God on our side. The sky's the limit. SECCG, here we come!

Talon

DCooDVe.gif

Peak Joejia

lush

The Tennessee stat for this week:

Of 127 FBS schools, 6 have led by 13+ every game. Florida St, Baylor, LSU, Navy, Temple & Tennessee.The Vols are 2-3. Those others are 20-0.

andycapps

Indiana schools got hot...Go Gata...hmmmm

Nope, can't think of anything you'd be interested in.

Hey at least our future QB had a great game in the pouring rain on Friday!

Jeremy Pruitt summed up the loss pretty well, I thought. Got out executed. I think 5 true freshmen played the other day so it's a young, talented team, but they were outplayed. Didn't help that our QB play was abysmal. Lambert seemingly had Paula Deen lube up his hands with butter before the game, and Ramsey is a pick machine. I really hope that Eason is ready to go next year, which is going to be a tall order.. Being a super talented QB going up against a bunch of kids in HS that will never play big time football in college is going to be an adjustment.

http://youtu.be/2dAZb3cjYx0

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, we made it through the toughest 3 game stretch of our schedule with one more win than most thought we would have (albeit with a few pretty significant injuries along the way).

Onward to Iowa State and Kansas!

OSU fans should be worried about Urban's stress level right now; instead of week 5 rankings.

urbantrophy13jj2.gif

Also, not concerned about the "rankings", just find it funny because no ones ever posted a "Top 11", we all know why they did, they have an invested interest in SEC team doing well.

JHall

Also, not concerned about the "rankings", just find it funny because no ones ever posted a "Top 11", we all know why they did, they have an invested interest in SEC team doing well.

Gotta pay those SEC Networks bills somehow. Florida is ranked too high anyway, we'll see if we're legit in the next four weeks with @Mizz, @LSU, then UGA.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That has more to do with it being Florida than it being an SEC team. Florida is big money for ESPN. They definitely want them to be good again.

Top Bottom