• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colorized photos are more "humanized" to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let's see it then, Mr. Hotshot. I want to see her with a baby blue dress.

He is messing with you dude. You can only work with the information that was already in the photo, if the dress was yellow with blue dots you would need advanced photo editing software to retrieve that old information that is hidden in the black and white.

This took me 3 days of digging in that photo but I think I've restored her dress to exactly how it looked in real life.

bVmbJA9.jpg

depths20XX

He is messing with you dude. You can only work with the information that was already in the photo, if the dress was yellow with blue dots you would need advanced photo editing software to retrieve that old information that is hidden in the black and white.

This took me 3 days of digging in that photo but I think I've restored her dress to exactly how it looked in real life.

I knew that there was some sort of extraction process to pull out the true colors from the black and white. Thanks for the serious reply.

bVmbJA9.jpg
Damn haha. That's real good.
I think it changes the perspective. But as I mentioned above, it adds a human factor to it (for me) that a B&W can sometimes negate (partially).
Yes. That photo is awesome.

Auctopus

I agree that it humanises.

Is there a source on that Capitol hill one? That is insane. Also, anyone who can look at that Sharon Tate picture and say that colourisation hasn't made strides is crazy.

temp

posting on contract only
Ah Communism, it'd be a shorter list to ask what it isn't according to some conservative sensibilities.

Well it's kind of funny because he's basically right. Racial equality is an aspect of communism, the Soviet Union itself putting into action policies of equality and promoting solidarity among peoples, as evidenced by this nifty set of posters.

enhanced-buzz-24549-1390244634-12.jpg

there isn't anything humanizing here

I mean I guess the struggles and hatred that people had to endure is a reflection of the human condition, at least in regards to recent history.

slit

They bring an interesting perspective no doubt, but there is still something about B&W photography that has always been alluring to me.

Valhelm

contribute something
15684503972_bc00283d08_h.jpg

Ojibwe man fishing in 1908

SK294Ze.jpg

"Slivers", a Swedish immigrant who drew huge crowds with his baseball-themed antics until his suicide in 1915.

Been reading a lot of history books lately. Antiquity and Middle Ages, specifically. During my reading of the dramatic events of history, sometimes I get taken aback by remembering that these history defining people are just people. People with childhoods, learning experiences, first loves, inside jokes.
they fart.
It's surreal man.

More on topic, I agree with OP. It is humanizing.

One of the USSR's retorts to being criticised by the USA for civil rights was literally "you are hanging negroes."

Yep, during the cold war, the USSR used to chastise the USA over the USA's record on race relations. And sadly, they had a good point.

But at this point, I'd say we've past them on these human rights matters as they are still stuck in the homophobia era.

Aesius

The one of Nashville is absolutely incredible. 1860s photo with that level of fidelity and clarity. Wow.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Colour is sometimes too realistic and distracting. It projects superfluous emotional cues. It reduces people to inhabitants of the mere world. Black and white (or, more accurately, silver and white) creates a mysterious dream state, a world of form and gesture. Most people do not agree with me. They like colour and think black and white films or pictures are missing something.

Try this. If you have wedding photographs of your parents and grandparents, chances are that your parents are in colour and your grandparents are in black and white. Put the two photographs side by side and consider them honestly. Your grandparents look timeless. Your parents look goofy.

kess

I'm sure it was different by the 50's but WWI colour photos have an almost painted effect because of the long exposures required due to the colour film/plates of the time not being very sensitive.

Here's The first colour photographs from the German front line during World War One from the Telegraph. Some of them don't look too diferent to colourised B&W images.

They were probably using Autochrome plates which were a pretty funky process. If you like that kind of stuff, there's more here.

Produkin-Gorsky's stuff looks pretty "real" especially when cleaned up with a computer. Pretty good looking considering this is more than 100 years old. Obviously this was color by intent.

Rgb-compose-Alim_Khan.jpg

mantidor

Cab Stand @ Madison Square Garden (c.1900)
X60WDIW.jpg

Broadway in Saratoga Springs (c.1915)
RQ4y2bc.jpg

People dressed so nicely in the past. D: To hell with practicality, they look freaking good. At the very least hats should make a comeback, awesome looking and actually have practical use.

temp

posting on contract only
Yep, during the cold war, the USSR used to chastise the USA over the USA's record on race relations. And sadly, they had a good point.

But at this point, I'd say we've past them on these human rights matters as they are still stuck in the homophobia era.

Well I hate to make an obvious point here, but the USSR doesn't exist anymore, so there's no comparison. Modern Russia has different factors acting upon its social structure.

The Mule

What blows my mind is seeing old paintings from the 1600-1800s and reminding myself that what I'm looking at is how people actually lived and dressed in those times. It boggles my mind how much culture has changed in human history.

Mather-Brown-xx-A-Commander-in-the-East-India-Company-1786.jpg

RossBetsy.jpg

Clive.jpg

Humans are so fucking weird, then and now.

People dressed so nicely in the past. D: To hell with practicality, they look freaking good. At the very least hats should make a comeback, awesome looking and actually have practical use.
Completely agree. I especially love the styles of the 1950's with the awesome suits and the long rain coats. I would look great in that haha :)

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
These are pretty cool. We have some photos of my grandparents from when they were younger that were coloured in by someone many years ago. Looks very similar to these images.

Thanks for linking them :)

Jezan

For me it depends on the pic and how they are colorized, many look like paintings.

The picture of Tesla, in black and white he is attractive, but in color he looks so hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom