• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! March |OT| Girls, Girls, Girls of Spring Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was completely readable up until he stopped doing X-Men stuff.

Even with X-Men he was not delivering. I remember they put him on the main book sometime around 2005 and the stuff was just horrible, imo anyway. I remember one issue where these ciphers just pitch up and blow up Rachel Phoenix's entire family. It was so poorly written that just no emotion or drama resulted from the whole thing.

Must admit I only read an issue or two of X-Treme in the beginning so maybe it got better.

There was also that one scene that allegedly happen with Angel straight-up fucking Husk in mid-air in front of Husk's mom and her house

austenxmen.jpg

This might all be fan-fiction though, so take this with a grain of salt.

jubilee-crucified-xmen.png

Yes, ALL of Chuck Austen’s X-Men run. It is literally impossible to pick just one thing that was wrong with it. Where do we begin? How about the horrific characterizations? How about the blatant misogyny? How about the fact that it followed one of the greatest X-Men runs of all time (Grant Morrison) with stories that were designed to retcon it all? How about when Jubilee and a bunch of other X-Men were CRUCIFIED by a group of radicals who wanted to discredit the Catholic church by making Nightcrawler the Pope and killing people with disintegrating communion wafers? Or, sticking with Nightcrawler, how about the time when it was revealed that he was literally the son of a demon named Azazel who gave birth to him so he could teleport him to earth?

No, I’ve got it! It would have to be the revelation concerning Xorn, a supporting cast member from Morrison’s run who had healing powers fueled by literally having a star in his head. For those who haven’t read Morrison’s run (and you all should), it was revealed that Xorn was none other than Magneto who was trying to infiltrate the school! In the end, Magneto kills Phoenix (for the umpteenth time) and gets his head lopped off by Wolverine. Marvel, horrified at the idea of losing one of their central villains, retconned it all. How? They said that Xorn (who remember, wasn’t real but a disguise used by Magneto) had a twin brother who infiltrated the X-Men DISGUISED as Magneto. So, in summation, we have the twin of a person who never existed in the first place infiltrate the X-Men disguised as Magneto disguised as… his real identity… Make sense? No? Don’t worry. Nobody else can figure it out, either. At least Marvel got Magneto back for several more decades of milking.

Read more: http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-worst-moments-in-marvel-comics.php#ixzz1p8DNlZMR

ElNarez

Banned
One thing about X-Treme X-Men is if you like BDSM you'll love Xtreme X-Men. Claremont has to be pretty freaky in bed going by his constant use of leather straps, belts, pockets, etc.
Well, if I remember my shady rumors right he did once get a prostitute to dress up as Storm.

Don't remind me of that mess. Back when they killed the awesome SKIN and then Jubilee cried at his grave WHICH HAD THE WRONG NAME ON THE STONE and she wished she could have fucked him before he died.

...ok, yeah. you got me on that. minus the mindfuckery link reason, azazel being kurts father makes a lot of sense given his physical characteristics.

The biggest problem with this is so of much of Nightcrawler is wrapped up in the metaphor of mutants as oppressed minorities. That he's just a normal, cool guy, and despite his devilish look, he's a human being like you and me.

Then Draco comes along and it's like, "No, no, you were right to your prejudices, he actually IS a demon after all". It's a stupid story regardless, but it also completely misses some pretty crucial points about who Nightcrawler is and what the series is about.

How unreadable did Chris Claremont become? I just couldn't get in to any of it. Yet the old stuff is great.

Oddly I really loved the Xtreme run. It was tucked away in its own corner and very character focused.

Speaking of Saga, anybody weigh in yet? I thought the first issue was pretty great. The BKV-ness of the dialog was a little jarring at first. I dunno why but I was expecting him to change his writing tone to fit a more tender, serious book about child rearing in wartime, but nope it's still as BKV as ever full of vulgar, sassy characters. Staples' art was great too. All of the designs of the more alien stuff was rad, like the big turtle thing. I hope it doesn't turn too YTLM-ish with the main characters fleeing from a bounty hunter the whole time, but even if that is the case, the promise of seeing a bunch of alien nonsense is great. Also I wanna see more sorcery. Can Markus cast spells too? It didn't seem like it.

Outside of the weirdly jarring sex scene in the middle of the book, I really liked it. So far the art > writing, but BKV is a slow burn and this is all world building so I know he will be a great story partner to Staples.

I'd already kill for a world source book. ;)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sage_Wallpaper.jpg

allthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmattersallthatmatters

Man I really want to photoshop a poo on the floor right there...

BluWacky

Speaking of Saga, anybody weigh in yet? I thought the first issue was pretty great. The BKV-ness of the dialog was a little jarring at first. I dunno why but I was expecting him to change his writing tone to fit a more tender, serious book about child rearing in wartime, but nope it's still as BKV as ever full of vulgar, sassy characters. Staples' art was great too. All of the designs of the more alien stuff was rad, like the big turtle thing. I hope it doesn't turn too YTLM-ish with the main characters fleeing from a bounty hunter the whole time, but even if that is the case, the promise of seeing a bunch of alien nonsense is great. Also I wanna see more sorcery. Can Markus cast spells too? It didn't seem like it.

I really enjoyed it. It's very Star Wars, but the central characters give good banter, the framing device of the baby narrating it is well illustrated and written, and the overall art package is beautiful. Now to save myself for the TPB!

I think I'm going to wait to see how the reviews are for the first story arc and then maybe pick up the trade. Trying to pair down the titles I pick up as floppies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The biggest problem with this is so of much of Nightcrawler is wrapped up in the metaphor of mutants as oppressed minorities. That he's just a normal, cool guy, and despite his devilish look, he's a human being like you and me.

Then Draco comes along and it's like, "No, no, you were right to your prejudices, he actually IS a demon after all". It's a stupid story regardless, but it also completely misses some pretty crucial points about who Nightcrawler is and what the series is about.
The funny thing about that is, its not well known enough to matter. And even though he looks the way he does, he still less of a monster than most of the xmen, and his half brother graydon.

Sell it to me.

An all new ongoing series that serves as a modern 21st century reimaging of the classic American tale "The Wizard of Oz". However, the first few arcs won't even feature Oz as the writer has created a compelling narrative for the portion of the story that takes place in the real world. Here is the solicitation for the first issue:

“HOME AGAIN”

Dee’s life is in turmoil when her parents are killed in a freak tornado. Returning to Kansas for the funeral after five years in LA, Dee discovers Emeraldsville is the same unexciting place it was when she left - until the bizarre unexplained murders begin.

With an unknown killer closing in, the events of one night in 1959 begin to unravel as a portal to a world of horror opens, a portal paved with yellow bricks...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
An all new ongoing series that serves as a modern 21st century reimaging of the classic American tale "The Wizard of Oz". However, the first few arcs won't even feature Oz as the writer has created a compelling narrative for the portion of the story that takes place in the real world. Here is the solicitation for the first issue:

“HOME AGAIN”

Dee’s life is in turmoil when her parents are killed in a freak tornado. Returning to Kansas for the funeral after five years in LA, Dee discovers Emeraldsville is the same unexciting place it was when she left - until the bizarre unexplained murders begin.

With an unknown killer closing in, the events of one night in 1959 begin to unravel as a portal to a world of horror opens, a portal paved with yellow bricks...

This seems a little too American McGee for my tastes. Aside from Peter Panzerfaust, which won me over by adapting the whimsy of the original story, I'm not a huge fan of these reimagined classics, especially when they get dark.

If X-treme X-Men isn't a book starring Cable and a squad of shitty 90's mutants drawn by Rob Liefeld, then it is a missed opportunity and an inaccurate name.

Matt Fraction already brought back Adam X, now is the time to use him!

the chris

If X-treme X-Men isn't a book starring Cable and a squad of shitty 90's mutants drawn by Rob Liefeld, then it is a missed opportunity and an inaccurate name.
Rob Liefeld is too busy drawing and writing quality DC books to sully himself on the X-Men anymore.

Got a minute between doing more f*cking work and making tomorrow's dinner.

Here's how bad this week was!

Orchid #5
Glory #24
Gold Digger #136
Captain America #9
Saga #1
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #3
UFO Country #1
Draw #22
Glory #23 again because the alternate cover is boss!
Megaman #11

OW MY WALLET! >:|

Also picked up two more sketch covers with the intention of putting something on them to generate some side cash if my job would get out of my ass. :\

Back to the grind.

KidDork

They seriously need to cut the fat from the X-books line. Adjectiveless, Astonishing and Legacy are all useless.

I'm hoping Legacy will turn around now that Christos Gage is writing it. Maybe he can be the one to explain why we're supposed to find Rogue so awesome.

it was already about storm, sage and a bunch of weakling beta males. it better be the same this time aroynd.

gerg

I, for one, can't wait for the momentous return of Lifeguard. I'm sure the Fantastic Four could use a deux ex machina from time to time as well.

X-Men: Season One was...surprisingly good! Teenage superhero soap opera, with how hard it is to be a mutant, how to handle superhero battles with giant dinosaurs, and the awkwardness of love triangles. Plus, James McKelvie draws all 120+ pages, so it looks damn good. Definitely recommended.

UmbE2.jpg

lChNP.jpg

4bTuK.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
X-Men: Season One was...surprisingly good! Teenage superhero soap opera, with how hard it is to be a mutant, how to handle superhero battles with giant dinosaurs, and the awkwardness of love triangles. Plus, James McKelvie draws all 120+ pages, so it looks damn good. Definitely recommended.

Yep, picked it up for McKelvie cause I'm so hype for Phonogram 3. For some reason I thought Gillen was gonna be writing it as well though. Not sure what I got that idea from. Glad to hear it's fun to read as well as look at though.

Well well well... the ending to Punisher #9 put a big ol' grin on my face. Frank
really does have himself a partner now. Reminded me a little of Bruce and Carrie from TDKR.

And since I forgot to do it earlier, here's what I picked up this week:

Marvel Comics
-Fantastic Four #604
-Punisher #9
-Wolverine and the X-Men #7
-X-23 #21
-X-Men Legacy #263

DC Comics
-Demon Knights #7

Dark Horse
Conan the Barbarian #2

Other Publishers
Warlord of Mars #16

The X-Men: Season One GN is on order from Amazon, which means it'll probably get here next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom